PDA

View Full Version : Preferred grip tape?

TGS
09-23-2011, 04:58 PM
All,

I hacked up my P2000's XL backstrap to make a ghetto-rig GFA. After I smooth it out, I want to put some grip-tape on it.

What is your preferred grip-tape? Does it peel easily, lose it's texture, and is it easily available? Any specific ones I should avoid? I might be overthinking this decision, but I don't want to waste my time on a grip tape that is going to easily crack, peel, or otherwise deteriorate quickly, and since I'm at it I might as well ask which grit you feel works the best.

I read about some sort of 3M grip tape that is rubbery too, which sounds interesting. I'm thinking a trip down to Home Depot is in order for tomorrow. I should have done this a while ago.....the P2000's front-strap has an abrasive grip like the P30, but the rear is sorely lacking.

Thanks!

Odin Bravo One
09-23-2011, 05:45 PM
3M works well, but I think you hit the nail on the head with your comment about over thinking it. I bought my last batch from a skate shop. 1ft x whatever the width of a skateboard is. It has lasted about 6 years.

It's going to crack. It's going to peel. It's going to come off. Doesn't matter who made it. When it does, clean up the mess and re-apply as necessary. At about $1.00 per foot at the skate shop, it's not exactly a piggy bank emptying experience.

DocGKR
09-23-2011, 06:49 PM
Of course the ultimate solution is a soldering iron...

If you have to have tape, the 3M deck tape works very well, but you WILL be reapplying it every few months.

Ray Keith
09-23-2011, 08:08 PM
I like Gorilla Grip...

http://www.cpwsa.com/gorilla_grip.htm

TNWNGR
09-23-2011, 09:14 PM
Why not go by a hobby shop and pick up a wood burning pen to stipple the grip yourself? Practice on an AR-15 grip or a plastic tool handle first until you like your result's.

JDM
09-24-2011, 10:33 AM
I'm in the camp of "stipple it." In the past month I've done 5 M&P backstraps, and been pleased with every one. Go slow, make adjustments if you don't like what's happening, and take breaks. It's really not that hard, and the results are fantastic.

orionz06
09-24-2011, 10:48 AM
http://compare.ebay.com/like/160552597547?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&_lwgsi=y

TGS
09-24-2011, 06:41 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I ended up grabbing some 3M grip tape from Home Depot today. It wouldn't stick to the P2000's rubber backstrap, so I used some Barge cement to make it stay. If I don't like the tape, I'll remove it and try stippling the back-strap. I didn't really think of that as an option at first but I do have the tools. I've always heard that grip-tape works better than stippling from many people, but it looks like a good bunch of you guys are fans of stippling instead of tape.

TAP
09-24-2011, 07:23 PM
The trick with grip tape is to thoroughly degrease the surface before applying. I use rubbing alcohol on the surfaces before applying the tape. Try this before cementing. I didn't think the tape would stick to my M&P but after using alcohol I didn't have any issues.