PDA

View Full Version : Experiences with Hogue wooden bantam grips

DpdG
10-29-2015, 10:14 PM
I'm looking for a little guidance before dropping $130 on a set of grips sight unseen. I have a 3" 65 RB, for which I am struggling to find a set of grips that fit my hand. So far I've tried VZ finger grooves, which are too small width wise. I've also got a set of full size Hogue finger grooves, which work but are huge for a 3" gun. The best fit I've found is rounded magna's with a Tyler 3R. This combo allows me to get all my fingers on the grip, although admittedly just barely.

For purely aesthetic reasons I'd like to find wood (or G10) that fit similarly to the magna/Tyler combo. I like the look of the Hogue wooden bantams, but I've never handled them and the rubber bantams are clearly different sized than the wooden version. For anyone who has handled them, how did they compare to any of the above?

Thanks
G

JodyH
10-30-2015, 06:53 AM
Look at Esmerelda grips as well if you're thinking wood.

Dagga Boy
10-30-2015, 08:04 AM
Look at Esmerelda grips as well if you're thinking wood.

She only does J frames.

I really like the rubber hogue batams, but they are sticky. I have always liked hogue grips! but grips are very personal. For a concealment gun, the bantams are a great size in my opinion.

DpdG
10-30-2015, 08:29 AM
The bantam rubbers are clearly 3 finger grips, are the wooden ones as well? I would love Spegal extended boots, but the time and money wait.....

1986s4
10-30-2015, 08:38 AM
If the rubber bantams are different in size from the wood then I can't help. But the rubber bantams work great for me and I have largish hands [I am 6'5"]. There is an extension on the bantams that allows the pinky good purchase. Used enough the bantams loose some of their stickiness to work OK under clothes. Dirt, hand oil, age all lead to less stickiness.

41magfan
10-30-2015, 09:25 AM
If you haven't already considered them, give Ahrend's a look:

http://www.ahrendsgripsusa.com/retro.htm

LSP972
10-30-2015, 01:40 PM
If you haven't already considered them, give Ahrend's a look:

http://www.ahrendsgripsusa.com/retro.htm

This. The Ahrends Concealed Carry Boot Grip most closely resembles the RB Magna/Tyler T-Grip combo, IMO. I replaced the latter on all my J frames with the former. I suspect the K frame examples are equally as good.

Hogue offerings have always been quality, but IMO Ahrends has the best going for an affordable, working set of stocks.

Dagga Boy
10-30-2015, 01:55 PM
I also really like the Ahrends. I also have a set of Eagle Secret Service boot grips that don't fit my hand well if someone wants to work a deal on them. I like them on J frames, but they are just a little off on the AK's.

DpdG
10-30-2015, 03:46 PM
This. The Ahrends Concealed Carry Boot Grip most closely resembles the RB Magna/Tyler T-Grip combo, IMO. I replaced the latter on all my J frames with the former. I suspect the K frame examples are equally as good.

Hogue offerings have always been quality, but IMO Ahrends has the best going for an affordable, working set of stocks.

For the Ahrend boots-magna/T comparison, do you recommend finger grooves? From the pictures, it looks like the finger groove versions might preclude the pinky getting a grip, or am I looking at pictures too hard?

Thanks

SLG
10-30-2015, 09:01 PM
Maybe the Detective stocks from Herrets?

LSP972
10-30-2015, 09:03 PM
For the Ahrend boots-magna/T comparison, do you recommend finger grooves?

Nope. As you surmised, the finger grooves stand a very good chance of being in the wrong place for YOUR hand.

SamAdams
11-02-2015, 08:10 AM
Just as a side issue - pay attention to the type of wood the grips are made from. I can no longer put cocobola wood grips on my guns. (Its a beautiful wood & commonly used for grips. Used to be my favorite.) Got a bad skin rash one day that took a week to go away. Never had this problem before, after using cocobola grips over many decades. This could be an issue if you have allergies or are sensitive to anything.

I've used Altamont grips. They look good and don't cause the problem I mentioned. Herret grips are excellent too - I have them in walnut.

If it were me, I'd just make sure you can return them to the seller if they don't work out.

Zeke38
11-15-2015, 02:19 PM
Herrett measures your hand and makes the grip to fit your hand. I have 2 sets of their Detective stocks and like them lots. One set is over 20years old. Remember speedloadeer relief cuts in the stocks, if this is a carry gun.

S Jenks
11-15-2015, 03:26 PM
I just got a set of Ahrends for my 3" 64 which previously sported Magnas/Tyler Ts. You get the concealment benefit of the Magnas/Ts but the Ahrends are much wider, which greatly decreased the side-to-side front sight movement during trigger pull. Very happy.

DpdG
11-15-2015, 11:30 PM
I just got a set of Ahrends for my 3" 64 which previously sported Magnas/Tyler Ts. You get the concealment benefit of the Magnas/Ts but the Ahrends are much wider, which greatly decreased the side-to-side front sight movement during trigger pull. Very happy.

Do you mind me asking which Ahrends specifically?

S Jenks
11-16-2015, 01:11 AM
Do you mind me asking which Ahrends specifically?

Of course - Cordia round butt boots with the finger grooves, about $70 on eBay. The Magnas allow a three finger grip while the boots only two with the pinky up against the bottom a la Glock 26. The middle finger sits lower as well. It isn't really an issue recoil-wise with .38s and heck...I like the look.