PDA

View Full Version : When should I purchase/train with a BUG?

Long tom coffin
09-23-2011, 01:26 PM
My current EDC is a Glock 19, 2 spare mags, folding knife and a Streamlight. I also have a G26 for those rare instances when I do really need to conceal something smaller. 99.9% of the time, though, it's my 19.

Here's my quandary; I really like the concept of having a BUG. For this purpose, I think a small frame revolver would be ideal. I briefly toyed with ankle carrying the G26, but that just did not work out. I need something more compact, so I was looking at a 642 or an LCR. Only over the past 4-5 months have I become what is considered "serious" about studying the pistol as a matter of self defense, primarily as a result of listening to the people here, Todd's blog, and M4C. I've invested in some quality training courses with some very competent local instructors, and my shooting, handling, and tactics have improved from just above "shit" to "competent". I plan on furthering my training as much as possible, and it's my hope to attend one of Vicker's or Todd's classes in the next several months. I'm just saving money for right now.

Considering I'm still focusing on handling my primary more effectively, would now be an appropriate time to throw another gun of completely different design and function into the mix, or would that detract from the focus on training with my primary in some detrimental way?

Nephrology
09-23-2011, 03:51 PM
I am far from being an expert, but I faced a decision similar to yours and ended up buying a G26 over a snub nosed revolver. the choice just felt "better." I didn't think I would have the time or money or energy to totally master a system like a .38 snub, so I decided to cut my losses and invest in something that was similar to my primary carry pistol (also a g19 like you).

it does mean that I ave to dress around the gun more, but I live in New England so this isn't as much of a problem as it might be for those in warmer places. YMMV. I think a .38 is a good choice but be prepared to invest time and energy into making it work.

TCinVA
09-26-2011, 11:25 AM
Considering I'm still focusing on handling my primary more effectively, would now be an appropriate time to throw another gun of completely different design and function into the mix, or would that detract from the focus on training with my primary in some detrimental way?

If you take training seriously it's possible to learn how to run multiple weapons well at the same time. Introducing a BUG into the mix shouldn't be a serious derailment to your skill progression assuming you continue to train with the primary as you've been doing thusfar.

I would love to have a workable BUG that is identical to my primary in every significant way, but practical reality is that a S&W 442 with CT grips is easier to carry. So I practice some revolver stuff and drive on.

HeadHunter
09-28-2011, 09:37 AM
At the risk of being commercial, I will be giving my Snub Revolver Skills Development Class in OKC on Nov 12. Prdtor is the local contact.
http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?1712-Snubby-Training-and-Concealed-Carry-Beyond-the-Basics-With-Claude-Werner-Nov-12-13

Chuck Haggard
09-28-2011, 11:24 PM
HH's snub class is really, really good stuff. I have attended two of his classes, high quality instructor presenting high quality material.

I started as an LEO in the '80s carrying a revolver and have been well trained and practiced in running a wheelgun, yet I still learned a great deal from this snubby class.

Highly recommended.

On the OP's subject; I have carried revolvers as BUGs to a variety of other systems, including S&W 3rd gen 9mms, Glocks, 1911s and HK USPs. I have never had an issue with running these disparate systems.

Tom Givens
09-28-2011, 11:28 PM
I will add my endorsement to Claude's snubby class. I hosted it at my range and everyone left with a better skill set with the pocket rocket.