PDA

View Full Version : Firearm Insurance against theft, burglary, etc.

cclaxton
10-28-2015, 02:52 PM
I have been shopping for insurance to protect my firearms from theft, while travelling, etc.
I have found the following:

Collectibles Insurance Services: $138 annually for $20,000 coverage, $50 deductible. Requires pictures but not serial numbers unless it's over $5000. Covers me from theft, burglary, while travelling, etc. Only thing is it won't cover me if I leave my gun(s) unattended on a regular basis for an extended period of time. For instance, if I went to work and parked on the street and kept my gun locked up in the vehicle every business day, then it is not covered. But, if I travel to a match and leave guns in the vehicle overnight it is covered.

NRA Lockton Affinity Group: $234 annually for $20,000 coverage, $100 deductible. Covers any loss as long as my vehicle was locked regardless how often and where it was parked. Youtube video claims this is useless insurance.

SIAI: $250 annually for $20,000 coverage, plus $30/yr NSCA membership, no deductible. Covers any loss except from an unlocked vehicle, and normal exceptions.

Allstate Homeowners (In addition to my homeowners premium): $600 annually for $20,000 and I must submit an appraisal and serial numbers for every firearm.

Eastern Insurance: $130 for $40,000 coverage, $100 deductible. No requirement to send appraisals or serial numbers, but they expect pictures and serial numbers in case of a loss. I talked to the guy who wrote the insurance program for firearms. He is a NRA member and firearms owner and long range rifle shooter. This is clearly the best deal....recommended. https://www.easterninsurance.com/insurance-quotes/personal-insurance/historic-firearms-insurance

Cody

RoyGBiv
10-28-2015, 03:51 PM
Thanks for doing our homework for us. :cool:
Good info.

My stuff is currently covered under homeowners policy... I'll be double checking my premium today.

MichaelD
10-28-2015, 05:26 PM
^Seconded.

Thanks for the tip, Cody!

joshs
10-28-2015, 06:34 PM
NRA memberships include $2,500 of coverage, but it must be activated here: http://www.locktonaffinity.com/nrains/default.htm?utm_source=NRA+Member+Benefits+Pg&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=No+Cost+Activation+Campaign

RJ
10-28-2015, 06:58 PM
With USAA, additional firearms coverage is $1.30 per month per $1,000 of coverage.

Excellente. Will be giving them a call tomorrow.

Mike C
10-28-2015, 09:10 PM
With USAA, additional firearms coverage is $1.30 per month per $1,000 of coverage.

My only beef with USAA is they want a serial number for everything. Call me paranoid but handing a list to my insurance company of everything I own doesn't sit well with me. That info should not have to be provided unless a claim is put in. They are reasonable though.

MEH
10-29-2015, 03:48 PM
USAA for me. It's just so convenient. I usually x out the last few digits of the serial number. Never been a problem from them.

Mike C
10-30-2015, 04:42 AM
USAA for me. It's just so convenient. I usually x out the last few digits of the serial number. Never been a problem from them.

Wonder why I got a bunch of crap. Must have just been the rep. Did you do it online, or by phone? Not to derail. TIA, MEH.

pangloss
05-25-2018, 05:42 PM
Does anyone have any additional gun insurance experience to report since this thread was started? I have $5,000 worth of coverage through my homeowner's policy, but that is not enough coverage for me. I spoke with my State Farm insurance agent today and simply listing guns on my personal articles policy (wife's engagement ring) seems like the easiest thing to do, though it would require submitting a list of guns and serial numbers to my insurance company.

The NRA's current offering looks pretty easy too (LINK (https://mynrainsurance.com/insurance-products/firearms-armscare-plus)).

Default.mp3
05-25-2018, 08:49 PM
I, too, went with Eastern Insurance, with Jack Richardson. 34k USD of coverage for 150 USD a year, and I believe it covers damages, too.

Guinnessman
06-12-2018, 11:07 AM
Any updates on who offers the best Firearm theft/damage insurance these days? I am looking for something away from my homeowners policy that specializes in firearms. In light of recent companies refusing to do business with firearms, I want to be proactive in my approach to insurance.

Is Eastern the way to go?

fatdog
06-12-2018, 12:28 PM
I went with these guys on the recommendation of JA Chiarillo who does my firearms instructor insurance. They are writing coverage that is provided by Travelers. I have not made a claim so I am not sure how that part actually goes...

https://www.corevensguninsurance.com/services-view/firearms-collectors/

I would add that in 2007 I was insured with the NRA program for a 5 digit sum when we suffered a total loss house fire. Collecting from them was actually worse than my experience with State Farm on the house and contents which generally sucked. I switched and vowed never to go with another NRA program.

ldunnmobile
06-12-2018, 06:51 PM
Weird, I was looking this up TODAY wanting to switch from the NRA insurance and this came up. The Eastern looks good. Anybody with experiences with them now?

Wyoming Shooter
07-10-2018, 08:58 AM
Weird, I was looking this up TODAY wanting to switch from the NRA insurance and this came up. The Eastern looks good. Anybody with experiences with them now?

I recently moved to a new home and bought a policy from Eastern to supplement my State Farm homeowner's coverage. The application process was a breeze. The cost for $45,000 coverage was $150 annually. The policy does exclude theft from an unlocked vehicle. Don't do that. From the Big Empty, ELN.

Malamute
06-06-2020, 03:10 PM
Whats the current thoughts on this today? Ive changed homeowners ins and dont like how the new company handles firearms insurance nor their rates.