PDA

View Full Version : How to stop notification of "like/thanks" for a post?

BehindBlueI's
10-27-2015, 09:50 PM
I'm cool with the new like button, but I really don't need an email every time someone clicks it? I see the place to turn off emails about PMs but not likes. Am I missing it or does it not exist?

BehindBlueI's
10-27-2015, 10:07 PM
Got it, thanks.

http://i.imgur.com/hpMTa.png

RoyGBiv
10-27-2015, 10:20 PM
Got it, thanks

You were not alone :o

RJ
10-27-2015, 10:22 PM
You were not alone :o

Ya, srsly. :cool:

LSP972
10-29-2015, 05:10 PM
Much obliged to you throwing yourself on that grenade, BBI… its been bugging me too.;)

orionz06
10-29-2015, 05:19 PM
Am I the only one to notice how many likes BBI's has now?

BehindBlueI's
10-29-2015, 05:23 PM
Am I the only one to notice how many likes BBI's has now?

I'm not sure if it was because other people had the same problem or people wanted to screw with me by filling my email box... Probably some of both. :D

JHC
10-29-2015, 05:36 PM
Naw, you've just been crushing it.

Drang
10-30-2015, 11:54 AM
The silliest thing was getting an email to tell me I had "Liked" someone's post.

Drang
10-30-2015, 12:12 PM
You don't get email when you like someone's post, but rather when someone else likes one of your posts.

If you did, please forward it to webmaster@pistol-forum.com and I'll look into it.

I'll have to figure out how to recover deleted items from Thunderbird.

Luke
10-30-2015, 01:11 PM
I don't get emails that I have liked something but I do get notifications for about a third of the likes I give. Gets my hopes up :( first I see a new notification and I just KNOW it's Tom Saying I've won the DOTW or another forum member saying they found that bag of cash I lost. Shaking with excitement I click only to find out it's a "somebody likes your post", at this point I'm bummed but hey, someone out there likes me!?! Woot woot! Then I click it only to find out its letting me know I liked someone's post :(

RoyGBiv
10-30-2015, 03:43 PM
There seems to be some confusion. Let me attempt to clarify.
File under: "No good deed goes unpunished" ;)

I like the like thing.... so.. Thanks.!

BehindBlueI's
10-30-2015, 03:58 PM

I like it, too. Especially now that I turned the email off :)

JHC
10-30-2015, 05:08 PM

Ditto

BehindBlueI's
11-13-2015, 09:03 PM
I don't get emails that I have liked something but I do get notifications for about a third of the likes I give. Gets my hopes up :( first I see a new notification and I just KNOW it's Tom Saying I've won the DOTW or another forum member saying they found that bag of cash I lost. Shaking with excitement I click only to find out it's a "somebody likes your post", at this point I'm bummed but hey, someone out there likes me!?! Woot woot! Then I click it only to find out its letting me know I liked someone's post :(

I just got my first notification that I liked someone else's post.

11-13-2015
07:26 PM - BehindBlueI's clicked Likes for this post: Speer Gold Dot G2 147 grain PT 9mm by Trooper224
I still fail to...

I've "liked" before and never got a notification that I did so before.

Maple Syrup Actual
11-13-2015, 09:10 PM
The thing that kills me is that until about two days ago, I didn't even realize this was an issue. Then all of a sudden, it's like I just started killing it with people and now I'm living with the consequences of mega-stardom.

Apparently all I needed to do was talk about owning a cabin, and headbutting people, because I seriously have gotten more love in the last two days than in all of the existence of the like button. Probably including on Facebook.

Anyway so now I need this thread even though when I first saw it I was like "oh big man mister showoff gets so many likes it's inconvenient".

RJ
11-13-2015, 09:12 PM
The thing that kills me is that until about two days ago, I didn't even realize this was an issue. Then all of a sudden, it's like I just started killing it with people and now I'm living with the consequences of mega-stardom.

Apparently all I needed to do was talk about owning a cabin, and headbutting people, because I seriously have gotten more love in the last two days than in all of the existence of the like button. Probably including on Facebook.

Anyway so now I need this thread even though when I first saw it I was like "oh big man mister showoff gets so many likes it's inconvenient".

I liked this post. :cool:

BehindBlueI's
11-13-2015, 09:38 PM
I know you (and a lot of other people) believe that's what happening, but it's not. I've actually read ALL of the code that implements the Thanks/Like system and that's not happening. You got 3 "likes" from 3 other users today and, most likely, you didn't notice the notification from one or all of those until after you liked Troopper224's post.

Again, I'm more than happy to be wrong about this, but I'm not.

Maybe. Maybe somebody clicked "like" for one of my posts just as I logged off the last time. However I can assure you I had no notifications highlighted when I left, when I came back it had '1' and when I clicked it it showed be what I quoted. I could be wrong, there could be a glitch that's not obvious in the code.

Luke
11-13-2015, 10:16 PM
I get notifications for posts I like.

http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/pp81/hook_setter/095B39F1-8E6F-4229-BA40-03F67188CFC5_zpsq315fofc.png (http://s400.photobucket.com/user/hook_setter/media/095B39F1-8E6F-4229-BA40-03F67188CFC5_zpsq315fofc.png.html)

It's not a problem and I'm not complaining.

Everything it says I've liked I have indeed likes. I never get emails that I liked stuff but I do get the forum notifications

Luke
11-13-2015, 10:41 PM
Idk man. I think we're just having trouble understanding each other. All I'm saying is I routinely log in to find I have 1 new notification. I click on it and it says I have "1 new like/post thank" or what ever, I click on it and my new notification is that I have liked SOMEONE else's post.

I still like you. And the forum. And ice cream. I just seen two people where having a adult disagreement and I couldn't help myself but to get involved.

PS. I didn't read anything you quoted. I hope you forgive me. There are so many words :( so if the answer to my question is in there please disregard.

PSS. I've always wanted to know what TL;DR was, maybe now is a good time?

RoyGBiv
11-13-2015, 10:43 PM
I'm starting to think you guys are trolling me. :(

No good deed will go unpunished.

Luke
11-13-2015, 10:49 PM
I skimmed it.

I can see where not gonna get to an agreement. I understand you own this place and designed and implemented the like thing, but I use it so I know what's going on. **runs and hides**

Luke
11-13-2015, 10:54 PM
:)

Feels good to be right.

I do understand now though.

BehindBlueI's
11-13-2015, 10:55 PM
I'm starting to think you guys are trolling me. :(

Nah, if I was trolling you I'd click your like button then unlike the post multiple times to flood your notification. Then I'd point out your grammatical errors and use them to ridicule any completely valid point you'd made. Then I'd say "yo momma". Well, maybe not.

https://i.imgflip.com/7wd7m.jpg

JDM
11-13-2015, 10:57 PM
Tom has some of the most carefully thought out and intentionally worded posts on the Internet. Skimming something Tom writes is retarded, and you're doing yourself a serious disservice by not reading, carefully, what he writes.

BehindBlueI's
11-13-2015, 11:01 PM
Fuck it, you guys are right. You are totally getting notifications when you like someone else's post. It was intentionally implemented that way so that you know what you just did.

I am actually laughing out loud at that, because it describes several of the gov't coded programs I use.

TR675
11-13-2015, 11:03 PM
Well, in fairness, they are often full of grammatical errors.

I believe you mean "grammertical" errors.

Proper grammer are important.

BehindBlueI's
11-13-2015, 11:04 PM
https://morningglory2.files.wordpress.com/2006/11/grammarpolice.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/2341472316/o5okjitd56ura1udv15n.png

scw2
11-13-2015, 11:22 PM
PSS. I've always wanted to know what TL;DR was, maybe now is a good time?

Didn't refresh thread and missed new posts, Tom beat me to it and now I can't delete this redundant post.

Too Long, Didn't read - basically you take a wall of text and summarize it in a sentence for the lazy like myself

Luke
11-14-2015, 07:51 AM
Tom has some of the most carefully thought out and intentionally worded posts on the Internet. Skimming something Tom writes is retarded, and you're doing yourself a serious disservice by not reading, carefully, what he writes.

I 100% agree, I was just messing with him.

RoyGBiv
11-14-2015, 08:06 AM
I have no idea why JDM is sucking up.

He wants Gadget #1?

JAD
11-14-2015, 05:25 PM
Fuck it, you guys are right. You are totally getting notifications when you like someone else's post. It was intentionally implemented that way so that you know what you just did.

Can we have an "LOL'd" in addition to Like, Do Not Want, and TL;DR?

JAD
11-14-2015, 05:28 PM
Can we have...

Oh, and TYFQ.

JAD
11-14-2015, 05:40 PM
have no idea what that means, but I'm going to assume "totally yearning for queso".

well, that, and 'trim your quotes.'

JAD
11-14-2015, 05:56 PM
I just like cheese.

Why can't we have short quotes AND cheese?

orionz06
11-14-2015, 05:57 PM
well, that, and 'trim your quotes.'

Trim for sure.

We can also stop pfucking "signing" our posts... That shit is god damned annoying, or Xenu damned, or whatever sci-fi character you believe in damned annoying. The username to the left is plenty to allow us to identify the poster. Save the characters and keystrokes, you may need them some other time.

JAD
11-14-2015, 05:58 PM
Trim... time.

TL;DR. Liked the first and last bits though.