PDA

View Full Version : Hinged vs chain handcuffs

secondstoryguy
10-27-2015, 08:24 PM
Which do you prefer and why? Is there a brand that stands out as the best?

Gadfly
10-27-2015, 08:43 PM
Smith and Wesson, Peerless, Haits.... All are good.

Chain are easier to get on in a fight, but hinge allows you to really crank down on a wrist for pain compliance. I typically use chain. I just want to get the guy secured asap. We can always make the cuffs look pretty later. I think I currently have 10 chain and only 2 hinged...

Dagga Boy
10-27-2015, 08:43 PM
I used Hiatt's Hinged cuffs my entire career. I briefly tried a set of Peerless hinged, and it was the only time a had a suspect slip a cuff (very small female, the Peerless hinged had a larger oval than standard cuffs). Hiatt's because the triple teeth inside are almost impossible to pick with most tools crooks use. They held up well, including regularly getting boiled and soaked in hydrogen peroxide. I liked the control over crooks. The crooks hated them...which was fine. I got an immediate control hold the second they went on. Also, I didn't get contraband dumped because it hurt too bad to wiggle in them. I saw plenty of officers injured with hands caught in cuffs,mas well as a loose cuff pulled away and used as weapons due to a lack of control on chain cuffs.

41magfan
10-27-2015, 08:47 PM
I personally never cared for hinged cuffs as a primary/initial means of restraint as they can be very difficult to apply when the resistance is violent. I do think they provide an added level of security but I only applied them after some level of control/compliance had been gained.

Gadfly
10-27-2015, 08:47 PM
I also recommend at least one pair of the Smith and Wesson oversize cuffs. They go about 20% larger, and just as importantly they go about 20% smaller for wiry little meth heads or females....

HCM
10-27-2015, 09:05 PM
Chain cuffs are usually easier to apply on a resisting suspect. They also allow use of belly chains for longer transports.

I prefer Hiatts, S&W and Peerless in that order.

Lyonsgrid
10-27-2015, 09:16 PM
I use Hiatt 3103's

http://www.tactical-life.com/firearms/hiatt-handcuffs/

17% larger and 40% lighter chain style. The weight savings is very real and I've never had any strength/security issues.

I'm always trying to shave weight on my gear.

KeeFus
10-27-2015, 09:23 PM
Chain. Had a pair of hinged Peerless and traded them. As mentioned, the hinged cuffs are good for cranking down on a suspect to gain compliance after theyre on. Gotta get them on first. Chain works best when dealing with a combative suspect.

S&W model 100's and Peerless are all I've ever had. Ive carried the same set of S&W's since 1995. The Peerless are my backups should some thing go wrong with the Smiths.

ETA: stay away from the Peerless 730c superlite series. They are pure shit. One of our rookies applied them once...ONCE...and the stud (key post)in the keyhole came out. It was stuck inside the cuff key. Never seen that with any other cuff. Needless to say we returned every pair we bought and got metal ones.

http://www.peerless.net/product/items/model-730c-superlite-chain-link-handcuff.html

BehindBlueI's
10-27-2015, 09:30 PM
I prefer hinged. As the thread shows, many officers find chain cuffs easier to apply to a violently resisting suspect. I found the leverage afforded by the rigid hinged cuff made it easier to maintain control of the hand I had cuffed and not let it be pulled away to become a weapon. I was also a fan of the baton as a street officer and found that proper application of it generally resulted in resistors becoming passive for cuffing. Between the baton and pressure points, I could usually get the fight out of someone and get the other hand. Then Tasers became a thing and cuffing under current was also pretty simple.

Additionally, hinged cuffs can be applied to both wrists simultaneously, something I never really could get down with chain cuffs, and many resists start with the first cuff going on. I'd hold their fingers while I did the pat down and they'd figure it was just a frisk, then snap the cuffs on before they realized they were being cuffed.

Dagga Boy
10-27-2015, 09:46 PM
I prefer hinged. As the thread shows, many officers find chain cuffs easier to apply to a violently resisting suspect. I found the leverage afforded by the rigid hinged cuff made it easier to maintain control of the hand I had cuffed and not let it be pulled away to become a weapon. I was also a fan of the baton as a street officer and found that proper application of it generally resulted in resistors becoming passive for cuffing. Between the baton and pressure points, I could usually get the fight out of someone and get the other hand. Then Tasers became a thing and cuffing under current was also pretty simple.

Additionally, hinged cuffs can be applied to both wrists simultaneously, something I never really could get down with chain cuffs, and many resists start with the first cuff going on. I'd hold their fingers while I did the pat down and they'd figure it was just a frisk, then snap the cuffs on before they realized they were being cuffed.

My experience as well. Cuffing is a voluntary process. You either get compliance or they need to be in a high enough level of pain or control to stop resistance. I always found it much easier to cuff combative subjects when they were unconscious. I luckily worked at a place that was good with me submitting combative subjects with a carotid control hold, and I used it often. For simply resistive subjects, I just need a single cuff on to start the pain and control process with the hinged cuff in order to get that eventual "voluntary compliance to cuffing" due to pain compliance.

BJJ
10-27-2015, 10:34 PM
I also recommend at least one pair of the Smith and Wesson oversize cuffs. They go about 20% larger, and just as importantly they go about 20% smaller for wiry little meth heads or females....

I went to carrying 2 pairs of those in 2010. I've been very happy with them.

DocGKR
10-27-2015, 10:41 PM
I carried one oversized chain and one hinged--loved the hinged!

tanner
10-27-2015, 11:19 PM
Put me in the chain only crowd.

Much easier to maneuver a cuff into position than to maneuver the wrist into position.

And having control of the person should be the first order of business regardless of cuff type. Control, cuff then search. Cuffs stay in the pouch until control is established on the subject.

If anyone has a video of the ASP cuffs getting broken, please post it up. I have used S&W cuffs my entire career, but a bunch of the new kids bought the ASPs.

Whiskey_Bravo
10-28-2015, 12:08 AM

Much easier to maneuver a cuff into position than to maneuver the wrist into position.

And having control of the person should be the first order of business regardless of cuff type. Control, cuff then search. Cuffs stay in the pouch until control is established on the subject.

If anyone has a video of the ASP cuffs getting broken, please post it up. I have used S&W cuffs my entire career, but a bunch of the new kids bought the ASPs.

Agreed, I am also interested.

I have only been on the job about a year and a half now. I went through an inner city satellite academy where the entire department issues/trains with ASP hinged cuffs. I was using my issued Peerless hinged and chains while in the academy. They constantly pinched/grabbed at my hands. I have very large hands.

Once I got on the road and off FTO I switched to carrying a pair of ASP steel hinged cuffs and Peerless chains as a backup. Now I am carrying the ASP steel hinged cuffs as primary and a pair of ASP aluminum hinged as backups. I find the hinged works better for me in most arrest and control scenarios, but I was also trained on hinged cuffs in a very methodical way of applying them.

The only situation I have found where I like chain cuffs better is cuffing an arrestee to a stretcher/hospital bed.

Very interested in the Hiatts now after reading reviews here.

Coyotesfan97
10-28-2015, 01:22 AM
I've always carried Peerless. When I was working a beat I carried one hinge and one chain. I used the hinge cuffs as my primaries. Small females and second suspects got chain. I don't handcuff many people these days. I carry Peerless hinged now.

KeeFus
10-28-2015, 05:33 AM

Hers is one where the guy breaks them when theyre on in front. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=p82ypGazlRc

voodoo_man
10-28-2015, 07:30 AM
We aren't allowed to have hinged per policy, having said that I carry both a hinged set and a standard chain cuff made by safariland / hiatt, hinged in my bag and chain in my rig.

gtmtnbiker98
10-28-2015, 07:48 AM
Hinged are easier to speed cuff and besides, they always complain that the hinged cuffs "hurt."

pablo
10-28-2015, 08:06 AM
Both. I carry chains in the field and transport in hinged cuffs. I can get chains on faster, but hinges are harder to break or jump. Personally I'd rather deal with a prisoner in a broken pair of cuffs than a prisoner with an unbreakable garrote. Also if a prisoner manages to break a cheek plate it's much harder to use the free ratchet on a pair of hinged cuffs as a stabbing weapon.

Hers is one where the guy breaks them when theyre on in front. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=p82ypGazlRc

If a police officer lets his prisoner move around that much, at least he won't get choked to death with the chain. That method can be used to break any brand of chain cuffs. S&W chains are really easy to break that way because of the large chain swivels and the ledge between the lock and cheek plates. Realistically I think cuffs getting broken on seatbelt buckles is a bigger concern.

BehindBlueI's
10-28-2015, 09:13 AM

Break, no, but I've seen plenty of instances were they were flexed enough that the single strand missed the opening of the double strand when attempting to cuff a resisting subject. Take a pair of Hiatts and push sideways on the strand as you close them. Do the same with the ASP cuffs. Toss ASP cuffs on eBay.

Plus, ASP has keyholes on both sides which is a safety issue.

pablo
10-28-2015, 09:31 AM
Break, no, but I've seen plenty of instances were they were flexed enough that the single strand missed the opening of the double strand when attempting to cuff a resisting subject.

Seen that and also when the cheek plates get squeezed together and the ratchet gets stuck.

psalms144.1
10-28-2015, 09:34 AM
I prefer hinged, myself, but I have nothing like the experience of many other members here, so take my opinion very lightly. I have a set of S&W oversized hinged cuffs for "big folks" - but dang, they're heavy. They ride in my tact vest most of the time, with standard cuffs on my person.

voodoo_man
10-28-2015, 09:47 AM
I've seen ASP cuffs break.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p82ypGazlRc

jondoe297
10-28-2015, 09:50 AM

I've done that same trick with Peerless cuffs. However, try doing it with your hands behind your back. I couldn't, I bet he can't, and I doubt most most other people can either. :)

voodoo_man
10-28-2015, 09:52 AM

LOL, I should have clicked on the link before I posted...my bad.

Beat Trash
10-29-2015, 09:44 AM
I prefer hinged. Once on the suspect, I can grab the hinge for additional control. The hinge limits mobility of the suspect once cuffed. I once had a suspect with chain cuffs on (my partner's at the time) who we were transporting to jail. He was able to grab a cigarette and a lighter out of his front shirt pocket, light up and smoke, all the while cuffed from the rear. Granted he was skinny and flexible, but...

I was issued a pair of S&W hinged cuffs. I bought a second pair of Peerless hinged cuffs that are a bit bigger than the S&W's. I carried both. Some people had wrists too big for the S&W's. Some teens and women had wrists too small for the Peerless. Some were too big for just one pair of cuffs and you needed to daisy chain a pair of cuffs.

When I was a patrol officer, I liked carrying two cuffs. That they were different sizes gave me some additional flexibility.

BehindBlueI's
10-29-2015, 03:09 PM

To reinforce this point, this just came up on ODMP: http://www.odmp.org/officer/22640-police-officer-daniel-webster

voodoo_man
10-29-2015, 03:24 PM
To reinforce this point, this just came up on ODMP: http://www.odmp.org/officer/22640-police-officer-daniel-webster

RIP Officer Webster :(

Gadfly
10-31-2015, 09:49 PM
That last post brings up Barrett Hill.

http://www.odmp.org/officer/15481-deputy-sheriff-barrett-travis-hill

Barry Hill had just got out of jail duty, and was starting in patrol. He was starting his FTO phase. He chased a guy on foot, while FTO chased a second suspect. Car theft. He radioed that he had one in custody. His partner then heard 6-7 gunshots. Partner found Barry shot in the vest several times. Once in the neck, once in the face. Turd was caught with one cuff on his wrist.

Investigation revealed Barry caught the guy and ordered him to kneel down, cross ankles, hands on head. Turd complied. He radioed "one in custody". He holstered, and went to cuff. One cuff on, the bad guys other hand shot down and drew a pistol. Turd stated he did not aim, he just started shooting over his shoulder. Barry went down. Wounded but alive. Vest stopped most rounds, and the neck wound was serious but possibly survivable. Turd stood over him and executed him.

Cuffing is dangerous.

Barry was a good man.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Chuck Haggard
11-01-2015, 05:40 AM
That last post brings up Barrett Hill.

http://www.odmp.org/officer/15481-deputy-sheriff-barrett-travis-hill

Barry Hill had just got out of jail duty, and was starting in patrol. He was starting his FTO phase. He chased a guy on foot, while FTO chased a second suspect. Car theft. He radioed that he had one in custody. His partner then heard 6-7 gunshots. Partner found Barry shot in the vest several times. Once in the neck, once in the face. Turd was caught with one cuff on his wrist.

Investigation revealed Barry caught the guy and ordered him to kneel down, cross ankles, hands on head. Turd complied. He radioed "one in custody". He holstered, and went to cuff. One cuff on, the bad guys other hand shot down and drew a pistol. Turd stated he did not aim, he just started shooting over his shoulder. Barry went down. Wounded but alive. Vest stopped most rounds, and the neck wound was serious but possibly survivable. Turd stood over him and executed him.

Cuffing is dangerous.

Barry was a good man.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This specific case, and another very similar, are why I never, ever teach the hands on the head cuffing bullshit.

41magfan
11-01-2015, 08:29 AM
If you put them on properly (behind the back - palms out - tight enough to resist much movement - key holes facing up) I think you can mitigate most of the weaknesses inherent in the design. But if your mindset about cuffs is anything but them being a temporary form of restraint then your probably going to be a bit behind the curve if something unexpected happens.

BehindBlueI's
11-01-2015, 08:35 AM
If you put them on properly (behind the back - palms out - tight enough to resist much movement - key holes facing up) I think you can mitigate most of the weaknesses inherent in the design. But if your mindset about cuffs is anything but them being a temporary form of restraint then your probably going to be a bit behind the curve if something unexpected happens.

If you are talking about ASP, how do you accomplish key holes up?

41magfan
11-01-2015, 09:05 AM
If you are talking about ASP, how do you accomplish key holes up?

Ooooops - I never used them or have even handled them as I recall so they weren't on my radar .... sorry for that oversight.

Rex G
11-02-2015, 09:52 AM
S&W chain, Peerless Hinged. Back in the day when I still cared, and had available real estate on my belt, and the department still wanted us to actually arrest people, I carried one of each type.

Whiskey_Bravo
11-02-2015, 11:30 AM
Will Hiatt standard sized hinged cuffs fit in a holder meant for Peerless hinged cuffs(801C)?

Dagga Boy
11-02-2015, 11:43 AM
Hiatt hinged are about the size of chain cuffs and smaller than the peerless...but I would double check because mine are 80's vintage...;-)

JBP55
11-02-2015, 03:36 PM

I do not have a Video but I saw a set of new ASP cuffs pulled apart by Walker, LA. Chief of Police H. Grimes who is now employed by Louisiana State Police.

Trooper224
11-03-2015, 12:32 AM
I carry both hinged and chain, one each on my belt and several more in the car. I prefer the hinged cuffs as they're superior in restraining a noncompliant subject. Once I have one side of the hinged cuffs on they're my bitch. My agency issues Quick Cuffs, the Hiatt version. I've always found those to be an overall pain in the ass when worn on the belt. I prefer the hinged cuffs since they're workable with any of the Quick Cuff techniques.

Chuck Haggard
11-03-2015, 07:02 AM
In my experience counting on the hinged cuffs to gain compliance is iffy at best. I also worry more than a bit about wrist/nerve damage due to getting all twisty on the wrist with the hinged cuffs.

I'd rather gain compliance, or force it, before the cuffs ever come out. If I am doing a "cooperative" standing cuff, and the bad guy jumps bad when the first cuff goes on, the system I teach works regardless of cuff style when the immediate reaction/take-down technique is then applied.

When things end up on the ground, or in weird positions, I find the chain cuffs easier to get on the bad guy. They are also a bit more forgiving for bad guys who are not assholes and just want to ride to jail and get it over with.

I carried both chain and hinged style cuffs on my belt, more than once I have needed two sets of cuffs, for a long time the slightly oversized lightweight Hyatts. The oversized S&Ws though ended up being my go-to cuffs. They fit really big guys better AND they go smaller than standard cuffs.

I wouldn't waste my time buying standard Peerless or S&W cuffs nowadays, particularly the Peerless cuffs. The ASP cuffs suck in a rather bad way, perhaps worse than their batons.

pablo
11-03-2015, 09:52 AM
Hiatt no longer exist as a company. Hiatt used to be a company that made handcuffs in England. Hiatt-Thompson was the main US importer of Hiatt cuffs, and Hiatt or Hiatt-Thompson cuffs were the real English made deal. Safariland bought the Hiatt company and moved production to the US. Safariland made really crappy copies of Hiatt cuffs under the Safariland label. Safariland dropped the Safariland label and brought back the Hiatt name, but I don't know about the quality. Hiatt-Thompson became CTS-Thompson and they also make copies of Hiatt cuffs. I have a pair of the Tri-max leg irons and they seem fine, but they don't see much use and no one has tried to break them yet.

Dagga Boy
11-03-2015, 11:43 AM
Hiatt no longer exist as a company. Hiatt used to be a company that made handcuffs in England. Hiatt-Thompson was the main US importer of Hiatt cuffs, and Hiatt or Hiatt-Thompson cuffs were the real English made deal. Safariland bought the Hiatt company and moved production to the US. Safariland made really crappy copies of Hiatt cuffs under the Safariland label. Safariland dropped the Safariland label and brought back the Hiatt name, but I don't know about the quality. Hiatt-Thompson became CTS-Thompson and they also make copies of Hiatt cuffs. I have a pair of the Tri-max leg irons and they seem fine, but they don't see much use and no one has tried to break them yet.

Thanks for the update. I only used real, made in England Hiatt's over my career.....which says something toward quality. This included lots of arrestees under the influence of PCP, and Methapmphetimine or Cocaine overdoses. I also had to pierce one monsters wrist to get them on with no issue.
Like Chuck, I have some real differences than many in how and when it is time to cuff. In many cases I cuffed far earlier in a contact when I had the most minimal PC for a detention, and later if I had a resistive person who may have needed to take a nap before the cuffs came out. The balance for me of exceptional control and no car wiggling and activity was a trade off I gladly made for maybe a little bit more work on the fighters. It was a balance I was good with. I actually think it made me Really be in control which forced discipline in when it was cuffing time.

tanner
11-03-2015, 01:59 PM
Relying on pain compliance when fighting to get cuffs on someone is less than ideal.

Just had to help an officer apply cuffs to a drunk and high dude the other night. She didn't establish control before cuffing. Now we got four cops on one dude, but he has a hinged cuff one one wrist. I clamped on to that hand and didn't let go before we eventually tumbled (rather inelegantly) to the ground and finished up.

If she waited until there was a cop in control of each arm (or one cop fully in control of both) it would have been a simpler problem to solve. Easier to fight someone with bare wrists.

I disagree with Nyeti on the types of cuffs to use, but subsribe to the theory of either cuffing early or cuffing late. ��

Whiskey_Bravo
11-03-2015, 02:44 PM
Now I am very confused...

Tracking with/completely agree with the discussion of compliance before cuffing. I was trained the same way. However, which make and model of hinged cuffs do you guys consider the best on the market currently? My experience is with ASP steel and aluminum hinged cuffs and Peerless standard sized hinged cuffs (801c). Should I consider the Peerless/S&W/Safariland oversized hinges as a good primary cuff (chains as backup)?

pablo
11-03-2015, 04:18 PM
I don't understand oversized hinge cuffs. The S&W universals are one thing since the close really small. Big boys and girls generally aren't the ones that can jump cuffs or are flexible enough to break them. Trying to put hinges on a fat or inflexible person is just more trouble than it's worth IMO, they have actual physical limitations on how close there hands can get behind their backs. It's the skinny people you have to watch out for.

If I was carrying hinged cuffs in the field they would be S&W Universals or real Hiatts, because they both can fit tiny wrist. The Peerless hinged cuffs are slightly oversized and don't close very small, they're not good for skinny crackheads and juveniles. I've seen a lot more problems with crack whores getting out of cuffs and fighting, than guys with wrist that were too big too fit in one pair of regular cuffs.

BehindBlueI's
11-03-2015, 04:38 PM
I don't understand oversized hinge cuffs...Trying to put hinges on a fat or inflexible person...

There's your answer. The strands are bigger, but clamp down nearly as tight as regular cuffs. Hiatt oversized used to be our standard issue. I've no idea what it is now, as after your first pair its on you to buy your own. I kept a pair of S&W chain for truly tiny people, but it was VERY rare for someone to be too big or too small for Hiatts. People that needed two sets of chains went into Hiatt oversized with no problem.

Dagga Boy
11-03-2015, 04:42 PM
With the real big ones I just used both cuffs. It was carefully explained that if they were a respectful and compliant arrestee, they could get both cuffs. If they were remotely a problem, they got one,mand I would get them into one and they would be miserable for as long as we were together. I can honestly say that the bigger folks would see those hinged cuffs and weighing their options were downright kind. Agreed with the skinny crack/meth heads being the biggest issue, and that was another plus to the hinged as they had a hard time moving around in the old Hiatt's hinged.

pablo
11-08-2015, 07:36 PM
Apparently the old Hiatts factory is back up and running as Total Control Handcuffs. I ordered a pair from the UK, it'll be interesting to see if the old Hiatt quality is there.

pablo
11-20-2015, 10:06 PM
I ordered two pairs of TCH cuffs and the quality sucks. They might be made in the old Hiatts factory and look like Hiatts but QC is terrible.

On the hinged pair the hinges bind and they don't unfold on their own. The pawls are pretty rough and the single strand sticks on them.
The chain pair is pretty smooth, but I'm pretty sure a blind man welded the chains and the nickel finish is already starting the wear off the single strands.

Definitely not worth the money.

Dagga Boy
11-20-2015, 10:27 PM
Sad news. I had a full career with the same two Hiatt's cuffs. Sad that the company is not what it was.

BehindBlueI's
11-20-2015, 10:27 PM
I ordered two pairs of TCH cuffs and the quality sucks. They might be made in the old Hiatts factory and look like Hiatts but QC is terrible.

On the hinged pair the hinges bind and they don't unfold on their own. The pawls are pretty rough and the single strand sticks on them.
The chain pair is pretty smooth, but I'm pretty sure a blind man welded the chains and the nickel finish is already starting the wear off the single strands.

Definitely not worth the money.

Thanks for the update.

pablo
11-22-2015, 07:23 PM
Speaking of bad welds on chains. One of the easier way to break chain cuffs is to bind the chains and then use them as a pivot point to break the chain or swivels. Bad welds on chain make binding the chains a lot easier.

http://i.imgur.com/lwOnFVg.jpg?1
Here's a pair of black S&W 100's with a bad weld on the left chain link, and TCH handcuffs with really bad welds on both links.

http://i.imgur.com/bWOqwGw.jpg?1
Here's the TCH cuffs with the chain bound. The bad weld makes this really easy because the cheek plates on the cuffs are biting into the bad weld.

SSalas
12-05-2017, 07:12 PM
Speaking of bad welds on chains. One of the easier way to break chain cuffs is to bind the chains and then use them as a pivot point to break the chain or swivels. Bad welds on chain make binding the chains a lot easier.
I was just reading this: https://unitedlocksmith.net/blog/the-history-of-handcuffs

Besides the hilarious things that used to pass as handcuffs, it also talks about shimming and lock picking the current industry standard cuffs.

My question is, how do you spot the insecure cuffs? The images you showed demonstrate how obvious it is when a weld is bad, but what about the locking parts of handcuffs?

Which ones are going to prevent shimming and picking? I know that they have the double locking kind, but that also seems really easy to defeat.

It seems like a more pressing concern because they sell universal handcuff keys and handcuff shims. I am not sure how many people could even brute force a pair of poorly welded cuffs into breaking.

willie
12-06-2017, 12:54 AM
As a jailer I saw many improperly cuffed persons resulting in some of these folks arriving with one cuff off. I saw several men who could strip ratchets to defeat cuffs. I saw one man who was so strong that he broke leg irons. The same guy could defeat the steel door on his solitary cell so maintenance had to pin the door. In the Texas prison system I knew of another inmate who could do the same. When he was released, a Squat team accompanied him to the bus station in Huntsville. He behaved. When he arrived at the bus station in Houston, he went nuts. The police killed him. I digress to make a point. You seldom know the prisoners' capabilities or intent. The old heads here made excellent points.

willie
12-06-2017, 02:15 AM
In my post above when referring to a swat team, I wrote Squat but was not able to edit. I'm pointing out the error in hopes that I won't be derided unduly.

Chuck Whitlock
12-06-2017, 11:46 AM
I currently wear three pair of S&W Universals, one hinged and two chained. Biggest headache is finding cases that fit.

Cypher
12-06-2017, 02:07 PM
My employer issued S&W handcuffs and we were only allowed to use what they issued.

I would be willing to bet that most of you spend more time at your respective academies just on handcuffing someone than I spent taking my ENTIRE armed guard course*.

I got ONE HOUR of training on the MECHANICS of how handcuffs work and absolutely NO instruction on when it would be permissible for me to handcuff anyone. (I decided then and there that God Himself literally would have to send an angel to TELL me to handcuff someone).

I said all that to say this, with the minimal training I received it seemed easier to me to get someone into handcuffs using the hinged set.

* The armed guard course consisted of 40 hours going over the NRA Basic Handgun Safety course. For what it was intended for it's an excellent course. It was just NEVER intended to teach people to carry a firearm as part of their duties

Tranvaal
11-24-2021, 04:40 AM
Met Police's ABC handcuff guide telling cops to ask themselves FORTY-FOUR questions BEFORE restraining suspects is branded an 'embarrassment' for Cressida Dick
The new policy features 44 questions officers should consider in future
It was sparked after complaints black communities were being targeted
Crime and victim campaigners have savaged the Met Police's new 44-question handcuff policy, calling it 'embarrassing' and treating trained police officers like children'.

The Centre for Crime Prevention said crooks would not give PCc the luxury of the time to mull over the near-50 considerations in the guidance.

And it suggested the document would raise yet more of its own questions - but this time about the leadership of under-fire Commissioner Dame Cressida Dick.

David Spencer, research director at the centre, said: 'Plenty of people are of the view that police priorities tend to be the wellbeing of criminals rather than the law abiding public and this will go some way to reinforce that perception.

'It is also quite simply treating trained police officers like children and is hugely patronising to the vast majority of police officers who are arresting potentially dangerous suspects every single day.

'Most arrests will not give police the luxury of considering 44 questions before apprehending a suspect. They are working on instinct and applying their training and this is where such questions should be, and are, drummed into them.

'It is difficult to imagine how Cressida Dick’s time as Commissioner could get much more embarrassing for the Met, but this policy is certainly doing its best.

'There are already serious question marks about whether Cressida Dick is the right person to be leading the Met and proclamations like this are only going to undermine her authority still further.'
Full article https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10221747/This-treating-trained-officers-like-children-Met-Polices-handcuff-guide-embarrassment.html

jnc36rcpd
11-24-2021, 06:29 PM
The retirement job is with a security organization that issues two sets of S&W hinged cuffs to sworn officers. I give them credit for issuing two sets, but like some here, I prefer chain cuffs. I replaced the hinged cuffs with one set of S&W lever lock cuffs and one pair of Peerless chain cuffs.

I purchased hinged cuffs in the early eighties after reading Mas Ayoob's article on the in Police Product News. While I did use them on the street from time to time, I always went back to chain handcuffs. Chain cuffs tend to be easier to put on if a suspect is not in an academy-approved handcuffing position or if you and the whole shift are wrestling someone into cuffs.

Hinged cuffs are more secure, but one shouldn't be overly confident in any handcuffs as a restraint on an unmonitored subject. One also finds more people who cannot wear hinged cuffs without significant discomfort. While I disagree with the county executive and council's view that a suspect comfort and convenience should be our highest priority, I also don't want to cause additional discomfort for a dubious benefit.

The lever lock cuffs are an interesting concept which I haven't decided on. I carry them in a closed case. I doubt I'd carry them on a handcuff loop or even an open case where the lever might be engaged on a car seat, chair, or in some other fashion.

jd950
11-26-2021, 11:01 AM
I use chain, but mostly out of long habit. Peerless oversized go a bit smaller than S&W oversized and I think Peerless may be a bit better made than current S&W, but that is just an impression. Oversized cuffs are a very useful tool, but I don't carry them at present. I have started carrying Peerless lightweight cuffs. They seem plenty strong and are indeed much lighter to carry, especially in non-uniform situations.

If I were buying cuffs today as a street cop, I would probably get Peerless 702C oversized, assuming I could get a suitable pouch for them

I know several agencies who now prohibit hinged. I would not be surprised to see more of that. In my experience, cuffs coming out or starting to go on is like a starter pistol to a lot of people going nuts. Faster and easier application on a less-than-cooperative person are desirable traits to me, and I think chained win there.

Hiatt cuffs are now owned and sold by Safariland. I am unaware of present quality.

Ultimately, handcuffs are a temporary restraint device with lots of limitations and risks and not to be fully trusted.

TGS
11-26-2021, 02:00 PM
I know several agencies who now prohibit hinged. I would not be surprised to see more of that.

Also for consideration is whether a given agency's policy has not changed on barring certain kinds of cuffs, but forbids you by policy from using intermediate force adjuncts that are not issued or specifically authorized by your agency. Although we don't prohibit hinged cuffs, some of our policy changed recently in the last two years just because people were going out and buying those miniature ASP Agent series of batons which the agency doesn't want us using since they're worthless. However, the way it's written would mean that I'm in violation of the policy if I used hinged cuffs as an intermediate force adjunct (i.e. using it as a tool to crank on your wrists to gain compliance). While nothing prohibits our use of hinged cuffs as restraints (per the last time I checked, at least), I'm neither trained on, issued, or specifically authorized the use of hinged cuffs as an intermediate force adjunct.

Not saying it's black and white........but, "thar be dragons" applies.

Coyotesfan97
11-26-2021, 02:16 PM
Also for consideration is whether a given agency's policy has not changed on barring certain kinds of cuffs, but forbids you by policy from using intermediate force adjuncts that are not issued or specifically authorized by your agency. Although we don't prohibit hinged cuffs, some of our policy changed recently in the last two years just because people were going out and buying those miniature ASP Agent series of batons which the agency doesn't want us using since they're worthless. However, the way it's written would mean that I'm in violation of the policy if I used hinged cuffs as an intermediate force adjunct (i.e. using it as a tool to crank on your wrists to gain compliance). While nothing prohibits our use of hinged cuffs as restraints (per the last time I checked, at least), I'm neither trained on, issued, or specifically authorized the use of hinged cuffs as an intermediate force adjunct.

Not saying it's black and white........but, "thar be dragons" applies.

When I went through the Academy in the late 80s we were trained to use the handcuffs as pain compliance and part of a takedown if needed. The instructor specifically said hinged were better for this. I was trained to speed cuff. Other methods were trained as I continued in my career but all of the methods my department’s DTIs picked included using handcuffs as needed for pain compliance/takedowns. It was one of the reasons my primary cuffs were hinged.

xtrtsqrt11
11-26-2021, 02:35 PM
I used to carry one pair of each, Peerless for the most part. Then I got an old Hiatts hinged set that just gave me the warm and fuzzies...

Upon applying those Hiatts, I had a number of experienced/frequent flyers, at being handcuffed, types comment that those Hiatts were extremely uncomfortable and that they felt an extra incentive not to act up.

The bevel inside the cuffs is quite a bit sharper on the Hiatts compared to the Peerless in my examples...

jnc36rcpd
11-26-2021, 03:14 PM
My previous department did not prohibit hinged cuffs, but it didn't issue them either. One reason I didn't carry them was concern about injuring a suspect with an unauthorized set of handcuffs. Had I really been a believer in the superiority of hinged cuffs, I would have submitted a proposal for them.

While my chain cuffs are not issue by my current employer, I think there is less risk of injury or claimed injury than with hinged. Moreover, I can point out that I was trained with chain when I was a real cop, but have not been trained in the current agency. Of course, the same could be said for the ASP and pepper gel.

willie
11-28-2021, 12:36 AM
I read the thread but saw nothing about cuffed individuals breaking cuffs by stripping them. Correctional officers will occasionally encounter men who can strip the locking mechanism. We had one person break leg irons. Strong plus crazy is a tough combination. It seems like some folks will do what they can get away with, and today they get away with more than they could in the distant past.

Shawn Dodson
12-01-2021, 10:28 AM
I carried both. On compliant, non-threatening subjects I used chained because they were more comfortable than hinged. On assholes and combative subjects I used hinged because they were easier to put on, allowed for more physical control, and created more discomfort for the detainee.