PDA

View Full Version : Amish Man Sues to buy Gun without Photo ID

HCM
10-27-2015, 01:25 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/10/27/amish-man-sues-to-buy-firearm-without-photo-id-in-gun-rights-religious-freedom-lawsuit/

Wow - a gun rights AND religious freedom lawsuit rolled into one. I believe if this is successful it would certainly help the argument for the second amendment as an individual right.

Kyle Reese
10-27-2015, 01:27 PM
Can he lawfully vote without presenting photo I.D?

Peally
10-27-2015, 01:33 PM
Is he even allowed to buy one per Amish SOP? Isn't he supposed to build a really expensive one by hand and sell it at extremely high prices? :D

Dagga Boy
10-27-2015, 01:38 PM
Can he lawfully vote without presenting photo I.D?

One of my favorite arguments with liberals who fight against voter ID laws. I congratulate them for agreeing that you should also not need an ID or background check to buy a gun......the look is usually priceless.

hufnagel
10-27-2015, 01:49 PM
Is he even allowed to buy one per Amish SOP? Isn't he supposed to build a really expensive one by hand and sell it at extremely high prices? :D

depends on the actual caste as it turns out. until I read about this over on PAFOA I didn't even know there were different flavors of Amish.

Sal Picante
10-27-2015, 05:42 PM
I didn't even know there were different flavors of Amish.

1.) Are we still doing the "phrasing" thing?
2.) Like apple cobbler vs blueberry cobbler?

Tamara
10-27-2015, 05:47 PM
I have an Amish leather belt. I had no idea that your typical bull Amish had such thick hides. Good thing they're pacifists.

(You can tell Amish jokes on the internet, because they won't see them. Fact.)

hufnagel
10-27-2015, 06:08 PM
1.) Are we still doing the "phrasing" thing?

1) if you're referring to the kitten thing... no.
2) I was thinking more along the lines of peach and strawberry.

SamAdams
10-27-2015, 07:11 PM
1) if you're referring to the kitten thing... no.
2) I was thinking more along the lines of peach and strawberry.

Side issue - - but its the Romper Room, so what the heck.

I get the 'juice not worth the squeeze' thing . .

but what's up with the 'kitten' phrase ?

I never ran into that before coming to PF (except in regards to young felines, of course)

Dagga Boy
10-27-2015, 08:16 PM
I have an Amish leather belt. I had no idea that your typical bull Amish had such thick hides. Good thing they're pacifists.

The "Jack Amish" will....they know who you are and they have a Mafia.....just sayin

LOKNLOD
10-27-2015, 08:22 PM
Side issue - - but its the Romper Room, so what the heck.

I get the 'juice not worth the squeeze' thing . .

but what's up with the 'kitten' phrase ?

I never ran into that before coming to PF (except in regards to young felines, of course)

There was a period of time in which we were all using "kitten" as a generic placeholder for cuss word.
e.g., " if you don't shut your kittening kitten-hole I'm going to cut out your eye and skull-kitten the kitten out of your sorry face"

SamAdams
10-27-2015, 08:32 PM
There was a period of time in which we were all using "kitten" as a generic placeholder for cuss word.
e.g., " if you don't shut your kittening kitten-hole I'm going to cut out your eye and skull-kitten the kitten out of your sorry face"

Got it. The mystery is solved. Thanks

Gadfly
10-27-2015, 08:34 PM

More side track...

Peach cobbler. That is the answer to every question. Warm Peach cobbler with Blue Bell Vanilla ice cream.

Blackberry/blueberry is acceptable only if there are no peaches left in CONUS.

Tamara
10-27-2015, 08:39 PM
The "Jack Amish" will....they know who you are and they have a Mafia.....just sayin

Great. In the middle of the night I'm going to hear "clip-clop, clip-clop, clip-clop, *BANG!* clip-clop, clip-clop, clip-clop." :D

EDIT: Bobbi just said "You really think they'll use only the one barrel?"

HCM
10-27-2015, 08:54 PM
More side track...

Peach cobbler. That is the answer to every question. Warm Peach cobbler with Blue Bell Vanilla ice cream.

Blackberry is acceptable only at The Salt Lick.

FIFY

Gadfly
10-27-2015, 09:22 PM
The Salt Lick! When I was at UT, many a run was made to the Salt Lick. Damn I want cobbler now....

I wonder if the Amish make a good cobbler?

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/27/3625282a358e4ae3113376399cc3a759.jpg

BehindBlueI's
10-27-2015, 09:23 PM
Great. In the middle of the night I'm going to hear "clip-clop, clip-clop, clip-clop, *BANG!* clip-clop, clip-clop, clip-clop." :D

EDIT: Bobbi just said "You really think they'll use only the one barrel?"

"And I'm coming back for your friend!" *begins to pour powder down the barrel*

JAD
10-27-2015, 09:47 PM
Peach cobbler. That is the answer to every question. Warm Peach cobbler with Blue Bell Vanilla

Pie : Cobbler :: Pants : Assless chaps

Tamara
10-27-2015, 10:23 PM
Don't you be blasphemin' up in here!

LOKNLOD
10-27-2015, 11:11 PM

Pie. Yes. Mmmrrrrmmmm. Strong with this one, the forks are.

Maple Syrup Actual
10-28-2015, 12:12 AM

Reminds me of a comment a friends of mine made not long ago:

"You know, you can say what you like about deaf people,"

NEPAKevin
10-28-2015, 10:20 AM

You might be surprised.

ETA:

Josh Runkle
10-28-2015, 12:22 PM
On the serious side of this thread, I really hope this guy wins this lawsuit.

PPGMD
10-28-2015, 12:29 PM
I took a required computer class at a community college, there were two Amish women in the class.

olstyn
10-28-2015, 09:17 PM

There are times when the internet is an awesome place. Thanks to you, sir, this is one of those times. :)

Chance
10-28-2015, 10:53 PM
depends on the actual caste as it turns out. until I read about this over on PAFOA I didn't even know there were different flavors of Amish.

There's actually a pretty broad spectrum. I know this because of Vanilla Ice.

They had a rash of beard-cutting hate crimes earlier this year (http://nypost.com/2015/03/29/inside-the-reclusive-amish-world-where-beard-cutting-is-a-hate-crime/).

Totem Polar
10-29-2015, 01:20 AM
I wonder if the Amish make a good cobbler?

Anyone who was at PeP3 knows the Amish can cook the shit out of a variety of fruit deserts. Straight up.

ffhounddog
10-29-2015, 04:30 AM
I am more surprised that there are non white people who are Amish.

You might be surprised.

ETA:

SamAdams
10-29-2015, 11:33 AM
O.K. - not Amish - but we went to this Mennonite yearly food & crafts sale this last summer which is open to the general public. Many of the young women were in 'plain clothes'. Long dresses & bonnets. One gal there musta been around 18. Very beautiful - and with no make up. How refreshing it was to see young ladies without tons of face paint, nose rings, and tats all over their exposed selves. They came from throughout the region & I guess different sects have different rules as to dress and use of technology. But I didnt see any if them with their heads down & completely engrossed looking at an iPhone screen, either.

NEPAKevin
10-29-2015, 11:42 AM
I am more surprised that there are non white people who are Amish.

While far from being the best source of information, Amish Mafia did have a semi regular cast member who is black: http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/amish-mafia/bios/alan-2/

EMC
10-29-2015, 02:12 PM
I heard that Illinois had to make an exception for photos on their FOID cards for the Amish, is that true?

Artemas
10-29-2015, 06:02 PM

You might be surprised.

ETA:

Not Amish. Mennonite.

On a serious note, after the the shooting in Lancaster, some Amish groups have dropped the whole "pacifist thing".

hufnagel
10-29-2015, 07:44 PM
Not Amish. Mennonite.

On a serious note, after the the shooting in Lancaster, some Amish groups have dropped the whole "pacifist thing".

interesting how poking the bear makes it want to make sure its claws are sharp.

Drang
10-30-2015, 11:41 AM

I always heard that the cut-off date for specific technologies was somewhere in the 1880-90 time frame. The Wikipedia article (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amish) (almost as reliable as a source of information as "reality" TV!) does not address that, but it does have an interesting chart that breaks down which technologies are allowed in which specific Amish sect. (And I nevr knew thay had sects, despite my family living so long in an area of Michigan with many Amish...)

That article does have one good quote on the topic:

The Amish anti-individualist orientation is the motive for rejecting labor-saving technologies that might make one less dependent on community. Modern innovations like electricity might spark a competition for status goods, or photographs might cultivate personal vanity.
They may be pacifists, but does that mean they eschew hunting or self-defense?