PDA

View Full Version : Expired Body Armor Study?

John Hearne
10-25-2015, 01:33 PM
I seem to remember reading about a group that was collecting old vests to test their long term viability. IIRC, they were paying the shipping if you'd provide the armor. My quick Google search didn't find anything. Anyone else remember this?

stingray
10-25-2015, 02:12 PM
I can only tell of my personal experience. I shot a 25 year old point blank level II vest. It was wrapped around collapsable 5 gallon water jug that was filled with water. The vest stopped 9mm, 40 S&W and 45 ACP FMJ bullets. It stopped our duty round: 180 SXT 40S&W. The vest failed of course, when we shot it with .223.

Just anecdotal I realize. But it was nice to see that a very old and worn out vest still had integrity in stopping what it was designed to stop.

DocGKR
10-25-2015, 02:34 PM
Body armor does NOT expire like some kind of spoiled food product. Body armor warranties expire, just like warranties for radios, automobiles, cel phones, and computers. Do you stop driving your car after the warranty has expired?

See: http://www.lightfighter.net/topic/soft-body-armor

jnc36rcpd
10-25-2015, 03:52 PM
John, I recall a solicitation for old body armor several weeks ago. I sent an email, but haven't heard back from them.