PDA

View Full Version : Concern about buying an M&P9 due to accuracy issues, possible solution?

jamesp81
10-24-2015, 11:22 PM
I have been given to understand that some M&P9 pistols have some accuracy issues. While most don't the risk seems to be relatively high. This is kind of a downer because I find that with the M&P I don't have to think about my grip to get good purchase. My natural instinctive grip on the gun is also the corrct one. I think it's because the M&P has good palm swells on the grip, which is a departure from th current trend of grips that are as flat as possible. I can shoot it well even with the rather rough factory trigger due to the excellent grip.

A thought occurs to me. The M&P40 doesn't have the accuracy problems seen in the M&P9. Would buying the 40 and using a storm lake 9mm conversion barrel be a way to side step the potential accuracy issue? If so it's be easier for me to turn loose the money, plus I'd have the option of shooting 40...I could get some use out of all that 40 range pickup brass I seem to collect.

Has anyone done this and can you comment on how well it worked?

If this is ill advised, my fall back is to go either Beretta 92 or HK VP9. I've ruled out everything else at this point.

Luke
10-24-2015, 11:29 PM
Have you actually shot your gun at 25 yards

Are you ok with that accuracy?

If your ok with buying a new barrel why not buy a new apex (due any day) that is seeing 1" groups at 25 yards.

jamesp81
10-24-2015, 11:40 PM
Have you actually shot your gun at 25 yards

Are you ok with that accuracy?

If your ok with buying a new barrel why not buy a new apex (due any day) that is seeing 1" groups at 25 yards.

I haven't shot my M&P yet because I haven't bought it. I've shot a friend's at 25 yards and, yes, I am happy with how it shot. However, the M&P9s are fairly notorious for a significant number of the guns exhibiting poor accuracy and S&W seems to largely fail when it comes to fixing the bad ones. I can't know if any M&P I buy suffers that issue until it's already bought. I'd prefer to avoid risking several hundred dollars and just hope it's a good one.

john c
10-24-2015, 11:41 PM
This is pure speculation on my part, but I think the .40 and .45 M&Ps are more accurate than the 9mm versions because the bullet weight and velocities impart more rotational force on the barrel, causing tighter lock-up. According to Randy Lee from Apex, the issue with the M&P relate to generous tolerances in the locking surfaces. This is why the 9mm M&P does better with 147 gr bullets; it has more rotational force than lighten weight bullets, causing tighter lockup.

If you're worried about accuracy, just send your pistol to Apex Tactical for a replacement barrel. That'll solve any accuracy problems.

spinmove_
10-25-2015, 08:06 AM
This is pure speculation on my part, but I think the .40 and .45 M&Ps are more accurate than the 9mm versions because the bullet weight and velocities impart more rotational force on the barrel, causing tighter lock-up. According to Randy Lee from Apex, the issue with the M&P relate to generous tolerances in the locking surfaces. This is why the 9mm M&P does better with 147 gr bullets; it has more rotational force than lighten weight bullets, causing tighter lockup.

If you're worried about accuracy, just send your pistol to Apex Tactical for a replacement barrel. That'll solve any accuracy problems.

I just got to do some accuracy testing with my M&P9 fs (details in my thread when I get a chance here soon) and I have to say that I was pleasantly relieved by what I had found with it.

Now, that being said, that's a sample of 1 from a gun built in late 2014/early 2015. Did I luck out? Maybe. Has S&W gotten better/fixed the issue? Dunno, and I don't think anyone knows apart from maybe S&W. At this point it's kinda like the Glock BTF issue, only (arguably) a little more serious. If you really like the platform as a whole, I say go for it. It seems like a good chance that you won't have the issues. If you do happen to have the problems, take it up with S&W first. There's a chance they'll make it right. If they can't, then there's a good chance the upcoming Apex barrels or one of the already available match grade offerings will fix the problem. If that still doesn't work, then sell that sample off and try again.

From where I'm seeing things there's a pretty good chance that you'll pick up a unit with no issues. But if you do get one with issues, you know what to look for and you know how to deal with it.

Particularly if it's a self defense piece I'd say go for it. We all know the VP9 and 92/M9 definitely works. But would you rather have a VP9/92/M9 sitting in a LEO evidence locker after a DGU or would you rather have an M&P9 sitting in there? I know which one I'd pick.

LSP552
10-25-2015, 08:56 AM
Particularly if it's a self defense piece I'd say go for it. We all know the VP9 and 92/M9 definitely works. But would you rather have a VP9/92/M9 sitting in a LEO evidence locker after a DGU or would you rather have an M&P9 sitting in there? I know which one I'd pick.

I'd carry whatever gave me the best chance of getting my pistol back from the evidence locker, regardless of cost. Over the years, I've carried a variety of pistols and revolvers that I thought gave me an edge. Much of this was probably in my mind, some definitely not. My performance with full-power .357 in a Python was measurably better than the S&W 66. I never considered that the Python represented 1/2 month pay for a new trooper. SIGs were more expensive than S&W autos, but I went SIG once we were allowed to start carrying semi-autos because I shot and handled them better.

Confidence in your pistol is a good thing, worrying about a possible problem isn't.

spinmove_
10-25-2015, 09:14 AM
I'd carry whatever gave me the best chance of getting my pistol back from the evidence locker, regardless of cost. Over the years, I've carried a variety of pistols and revolvers that I thought gave me an edge. Much of this was probably in my mind, some definitely not. My performance with full-power .357 in a Python was measurably better than the S&W 66. I never considered that the Python represented 1/2 month pay for a new trooper. SIGs were more expensive than S&W autos, but I went SIG once we were allowed to start carrying semi-autos because I shot and handled them better.

Confidence in your pistol is a good thing, worrying about a possible problem isn't.

You make a very good point. If you noticeably perform better with one thing than another, that should definitely factor into your choice. However, let's say that you shoot equally well with a VP9 and an M&P9. I won't get into a full break down of a cost analysis between the two, but I would venture an educated guess and say that your TCO is lower with the M&P9 than it would be with the VP9. Now, I get that you can't put a price on your own life or the lives of others, but at some point you have to take into consideration realistic costs. Not everyone is made of money or has tons of disposable income. Especially taking into consideration Doc's recommendation of 1.) have a primary carry 2.) eventually buy a spare purely for training 3.) buy a third as a backup to both of those, we find that the lower TCO platform will allow you to fully realize being prepared for that platform sooner rather than later. Taking that a step further, if you are involved in a DGU and your sidearm does get put in an evidence locker for an extended period of time (possibly to never see the light of day again) you can replace that firearm, at random, quicker with the lower TCO platform.

I guess my point is that, sure, in a perfect world or if we were all well off, investing in the platform that any particular person shot best would definitely be the way to go. No question. But some of us aren't in that position and probably won't be for a little while.

Case in point, it sounds like jamesp81 shoots the M&P9 as well as he can the VP9 or M9. If that's the case, why wouldn't he go with the M&P9 vs. the other two if the deciding factor was cost? If the deciding factor isn't cost, but instead, one of pure confidence, then yes, he should clear his mind and go with something that he knows is a sure thing. That makes perfect logical sense.

Beat Trash
10-25-2015, 09:33 AM
The newer M&P9's seem to have acceptable accuracy. If you really want to go with the M&P9, then I would go out and buy one.

I am on my second issued M&P9. We have about 1,100 in the field currently.

But if I were starting from scratch, and only concerned about buying a pistol for myself, then I would go straight for the VP9. I bought a VP9 about a year ago. Once I retire and no longer have to carry the issued M&P9, then my M&P's will go into the safe and my VP9 will become my daily carry.

The accuracy I can get from my M&P9 is acceptable. The accuracy I can get from my VP9 is exceptional.

Hauptmann
10-25-2015, 12:11 PM
You will save yourself a lot of money and frustration in the long run if you stick to firearms that run to your liking right out of the box. Right now, I feel that the H&K VP9 is the best striker fired stock gun out there.

JBP55
10-25-2015, 12:12 PM
The newer M&P9's seem to have acceptable accuracy. If you really want to go with the M&P9, then I would go out and buy one.

I am on my second issued M&P9. We have about 1,100 in the field currently.

But if I were starting from scratch, and only concerned about buying a pistol for myself, then I would go straight for the VP9. I bought a VP9 about a year ago. Once I retire and no longer have to carry the issued M&P9, then my M&P's will go into the safe and my VP9 will become my daily carry.

The accuracy I can get from my M&P9 is acceptable. The accuracy I can get from my VP9 is exceptional.

What he said.

OnionsAndDragons
10-25-2015, 12:29 PM
I'm generally with these guys above.

If you aren't Glock inclined, my picks would be the VP9 or PPQ. I was not a fan of the Sig P320 vs either of those guns, but I wouldn't fault someone for going that way. The thing is too fat feeling.

Having gotten a couple thousand through my VP9 now, I think I still prefer the PPQ over it. I like having the longer pull on such a light trigger. That said, they are both excellent and I have had no issues with either. About 8k on the PPQ now with only 2 light strikes/hard primers, nothing to mention on the VP9.

This new crop of guns is pretty impressive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JBP55
10-25-2015, 01:59 PM
I'm generally with these guys above.

If you aren't Glock inclined, my picks would be the VP9 or PPQ. I was not a fan of the Sig P320 vs either of those guns, but I wouldn't fault someone for going that way. The thing is too fat feeling.

Having gotten a couple thousand through my VP9 now, I think I still prefer the PPQ over it. I like having the longer pull on such a light trigger. That said, they are both excellent and I have had no issues with either. About 8k on the PPQ now with only 2 light strikes/hard primers, nothing to mention on the VP9.

This new crop of guns is pretty impressive.

I had a PPQ and a P320, still have 9mm Glocks, VP9's, VP40 and waiting for the VP45 to arrive.

OnionsAndDragons
10-25-2015, 05:13 PM
Don't say VP45. I don't want a real excuse to go back down that road.

I've still got the Glocks. I hate em, but I shoot them too well to get rid of them.

I've developed a preference for the LEM trigger. That's likely where my PPQ bias comes from. The length on the trigger pull just feels more normal to me than the very short VP9. They are all well-loved in my household, though.