PDA

View Full Version : Ross Seyfried article

SLG
10-24-2015, 12:01 PM
Does anyone have a copy of the 1911 article that Ross wrote, featuring his main carry and competition .45's? It is THE seminal article on how to run a 1911 reliably, and is what shaped my thoughts on it back in the day. Nothing has changed since to alter that, but I can't find my hard copy. Any help would be much appreciated.

RoyGBiv
10-24-2015, 12:14 PM
????

http://www.docdroid.net/udgq/june-1990.pdf.html

SLG
10-24-2015, 12:26 PM
You sir, are the man. Thank very much!

RoyGBiv
10-24-2015, 01:24 PM
You sir, are the man. Thank very much!

Very welcome. My Google Fu was as strong as my coffee today. ;)

SLG
10-24-2015, 01:33 PM
You found that online? I searched and searched...I hate computers, and they hate me.

RoyGBiv
10-24-2015, 01:49 PM
Googled: ross seyfried 1911 pdf

First hit was... http://www.scoutrifle.org/index.php?topic=5120.0
List of articles in PDF format in post 1.

Luckily the one you needed was early in the list... :cool:

LSP972
10-24-2015, 02:04 PM
An interesting read. Ross Seyfried was one of the few champions who practiced what he preached; i.e., he carried the same pistol he kicked everybody's butt with.

But what's really interesting is how times have changed. I look at my HK45 Compact as I write this. I replaced the trigger parts with stock factory LEM parts (IOW, no customization involved, everything was drop-in), and aside from that I carried the pistol bone-stock up until a few months ago… when I did a home stippling job to give myself a better purchase on the pistol. I think my grip is weakening as I age.

My .40 and 9mm HKs came from the factory with LEM triggers, so they are indeed unmodified, stock factory examples. And they are perfectly serviceable for me.

Which begs the question… have the manufacturers, with CNC machining and polymer moldings, gotten better at giving us usable pistols?

Or have our expectations been diminished via the plastic revolution, and we're more content to take what's offered?

Personally, I think its a bit of both. For instance, while I can "run" a stock Glock, there are several mods (thinning the inside of the trigger guard bow, grip reduction, slightly extended safety) that make me much more efficient with one. Shooting one, in any caliber, with a stock trigger guard bow for more than 100 rounds begins to get painful for me.

But, given the huge amounts of money people continue to spend on customizing their pistols (and with three Bowie G19s to my name, I'm as guilty of that as anyone), said question is probably an irrelevant one.

LSP552
10-24-2015, 02:40 PM
An interesting read. Ross Seyfried was one of the few champions who practiced what he preached; i.e., he carried the same pistol he kicked everybody's butt with.

But what's really interesting is how times have changed. I look at my HK45 Compact as I write this. I replaced the trigger parts with stock factory LEM parts (IOW, no customization involved, everything was drop-in), and aside from that I carried the pistol bone-stock up until a few months ago… when I did a home stippling job to give myself a better purchase on the pistol. I think my grip is weakening as I age.

My .40 and 9mm HKs came from the factory with LEM triggers, so they are indeed unmodified, stock factory examples. And they are perfectly serviceable for me.

Which begs the question… have the manufacturers, with CNC machining and polymer moldings, gotten better at giving us usable pistols?

Or have our expectations been diminished via the plastic revolution, and we're more content to take what's offered?

Personally, I think its a bit of both. For instance, while I can "run" a stock Glock, there are several mods (thinning the inside of the trigger guard bow, grip reduction, slightly extended safety) that make me much more efficient with one. Shooting one, in any caliber, with a stock trigger guard bow for more than 100 rounds begins to get painful for me.

But, given the huge amounts of money people continue to spend on customizing their pistols (and with three Bowie G19s to my name, I'm as guilty of that as anyone), said question is probably an irrelevant one.

We have "progressed" to the point where most folks think a Glock has a good trigger and superb ergonomics because low bore axis......

psalms144.1
10-24-2015, 04:02 PM
We have "progressed" to the point where most folks think a Glock has a good trigger and superb ergonomics because low bore axis......ugh - you said "low bore axis." Now we have to kill this thread with fire...

Wondering Beard
10-24-2015, 04:41 PM
Now I want to two-tone Pachmayr Combat Special.

Thanks for nothing

;-)

stingray
10-24-2015, 04:51 PM
WOW!!! That was a blast from the past. I remember reading it when it was published..........man am I getting old........

YVK
10-24-2015, 06:58 PM
Did I understand it correctly in that Mr. Seyfried suggested a 3-4 lbs trigger on a carry 1911? I skimmed quickly through the text, I may have misunderstood.

warpedcamshaft
10-24-2015, 07:05 PM
Did I understand it correctly in that Mr. Seyfried suggested a 3-4 lbs trigger on a carry 1911? I skimmed quickly through the text, I may have misunderstood.

"The technology did give us extraordinary trigger quality in the 3-4 pound class, and that is what you want"

Dave Williams
10-24-2015, 07:06 PM
I grew up reading Seyfried, I think he should write an autobiography. I have a whole file of some his best feature articles.

Tamara
10-24-2015, 07:49 PM
I remember that article.

(...and that right there is how Kimber made the big time. "What if we could offer the basic, standard suite of modifications on a factory pistol for not much more than the price of a Colt Government Model?")

GJM
10-24-2015, 09:03 PM
Think he recently moved, but Ross had a very interesting life on a large ranch he owned in eastern Oregon. Think he favored a SA Ruger revolver in .45 LC. I had an opportunity to hunt elk there, but didn't, and regret it.

LSP972
10-24-2015, 09:18 PM
We have "progressed" to the point where most folks think a Glock has a good trigger and superb ergonomics because low bore axis......

Exactly. Discussing that with a "new breed" shooter who hasn't been exposed to anything else is almost as depressing as talking with one of our younger troopers about revolvers. They have zero frame of reference…:(

LittleLebowski
10-24-2015, 09:21 PM
Exactly. Discussing that with a "new breed" shooter who hasn't been exposed to anything else is almost as depressing as talking with one of our younger troopers about revolvers. They have zero frame of reference…:(

I wish that I had the disposable income to carry and shoot a revolver for six months. I know that I lack this frame of reference.

Hauptmann
10-24-2015, 09:23 PM

What's a revolver? :p

ranger
10-24-2015, 10:01 PM
Seems to me that we live in a time of great choice in reliable service pistols. In the mid 1980s, we could only dream of the current selection of pistols available for service or CCW. There were many custom shops trying (with mixed success) to transform the pistols available in the 1980s into what we can now buy in a local LGS.

LtDave
10-24-2015, 10:07 PM
Ross is still writing articles, but you'll have to subscribe to the Double Gun & Single Shot Journal to see them. Not much on handguns anymore, mostly old blackpowder doubles and single shots.

Luke
10-24-2015, 11:00 PM
Anybody else having issues opening it on an iPhone?

45dotACP
10-25-2015, 01:06 AM

If you want a "revolver like trigger" I thought you just put a NY trigger spring in a Glock?

(runs and hides)

LSP972
10-25-2015, 05:26 AM
If you want a "revolver like trigger" I thought you just put a NY trigger spring in a Glock?

(runs and hides)

Right.:D

Just like all the administrators who considered the Gen 3 S&W trigger-cocking-only pistols to be "15 shot revolvers". I actually heard several high-ranking brass types use that exact term. Sometimes you cannot decide if you should be amused, or plunged into despair…;)

Tamara
10-25-2015, 06:34 AM
They couldn't be "15 shot revolvers" because they were entirely too easy to reload. ;)

serialsolver
10-25-2015, 08:20 AM
Hey, that "15 shot revolver" line Is how I got glocks approved. Sometimes you gotta talk on their level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LSP552
10-25-2015, 08:37 AM
Hey, that "15 shot revolver" line Is how I got glocks approved. Sometimes you gotta talk on their level.

And use crayons in the presentation....

serialsolver
10-25-2015, 11:28 AM
And use crayons in the presentation....

Colored markers, my girls helped.

BN
10-25-2015, 12:53 PM
I remember that article.

(...and that right there is how Kimber made the big time. "What if we could offer the basic, standard suite of modifications on a factory pistol for not much more than the price of a Colt Government Model?")

That article was written in 1990. At that time a 1911 shooter had few choices. They could buy a GI type Colt or Springfield with a spur hammer, tiny sights and no beavertail. Then they had to throw away everything except the frame and slide and start over. Kimber changed that by offering a 1911 with the options already on the pistol for a very good price.

TiroFijo
10-25-2015, 01:20 PM
I remember well the article... I always found Seyfried's articles well written and entertaining, but he never inspired me as a combat/defensive guru or anything like that, just a knowledgeable shooter and well heeled hunter.

JAD
10-25-2015, 02:03 PM
The greatest Seyfried line I'm conscious of I have like third hand. In speaking of IPSC competitors, he said, "don't be afraid of the guy with the $2000 pistol. Be afraid of the guy who just bought 10000 primers."

Poconnor
10-25-2015, 06:43 PM
I wish I could buy a book with all of seyfried's articles. I used to look forward to his articles.

JTQ
10-25-2015, 07:15 PM
That article was written in 1990. At that time a 1911 shooter had few choices. They could buy a GI type Colt or Springfield with a spur hammer, tiny sights and no beavertail.
A little nit picking, because you are basically right with your overall assessment, but my Colt Combat Elite from the late 1980's had 3-dot sights, Commander hammer, and a rattail grip safety.

SecondsCount
10-25-2015, 08:12 PM
The greatest Seyfried line I'm conscious of I have like third hand. In speaking of IPSC competitors, he said, "don't be afraid of the guy with the $2000 pistol. Be afraid of the guy who just bought 10000 primers."

Awesome!

BN
10-25-2015, 08:36 PM
A little nit picking, because you are basically right with your overall assessment, but my Colt Combat Elite from the late 1980's had 3-dot sights, Commander hammer, and a rattail grip safety.

My excuse is that I'm old and didn't remember exact dates. ;)

Tamara
10-25-2015, 10:14 PM
That article was written in 1990. At that time a 1911 shooter had few choices. They could buy a GI type Colt or Springfield with a spur hammer, tiny sights and no beavertail. Then they had to throw away everything except the frame and slide and start over. Kimber changed that by offering a 1911 with the options already on the pistol for a very good price.

Yes, that's what I was driving at.