PDA

View Full Version : Pink handcuffs

Glenn E. Meyer
10-24-2015, 11:51 AM
Just had to comment. My wife and I went to the mall. She went into the rest room which is next to the customer service counter in Dillards. I sat in chair to wait. A female officer comes in with a return. She has two sets of pink handcuffs on her belt. Nothing wrong with that. Just made me chuckle.

TGS
10-24-2015, 11:54 AM
http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2015/10/08/3710046/pinkwashing-police-breast-cancer/

pablo
10-25-2015, 06:47 AM
Police equipment is like that lonely little puppy that got left tied to a fire hydrant. When it gets lonely it doesn't care who it goes home with. When everyone's flashlights, posse boxes, ticket books, and cuffs all look the same, it's hard to find out who jacked your stuff.

I know the girls with pink handcuffs always get the same pair of cuffs back from the jailers. There's something particularly aggravating about handing over a prisoner with a pair of hinged S&W universals and getting a rusted pile of shit back. If I ever by another pair of cuffs they will be painted.

ST911
10-25-2015, 09:38 AM
Before colored cuffs were the new hotness we used yellow, orange, or pink krylon to keep them from walking away. Most folks make them now, including ASP, Safariland, S&W, Peerless. It could also be functional when transporting large groups esp in fulls. Wearers could be color coded by sender or destination and routed at a glance. It's also the new thing for bored admins to obsess over.

See also: Stethoscopes.

Rosco Benson
10-25-2015, 09:42 AM
At my workplace, management recently became aggravated by officers not complying with uniform and appearance regulations. The violators were mostly female officers and the violations were mostly hair and jewelry related. One of the female officers was carrying two pair of pink handcuffs (ASP I think). She was very annoyed by the crackdown. She was not amused when I suggested that a can of black krylon could make her troubles go away.

Rosco

Dagga Boy
10-25-2015, 09:54 AM
Cuff theft was always an issue. I started and finished with the same cuffs....because nobody anywhere in my area had Hiatt Himged cuffs, so I always knew mine.

Thank goodness for the girls and their hair. My usual response to my mustache length discussions with admin was that I would cut my mustache when they enforced the hair length with the female officers. It was why I was never on the administrations most loved or Christmas card lists.

23JAZ
10-25-2015, 11:48 AM
Just had to comment. My wife and I went to the mall. She went into the rest room which is next to the customer service counter in Dillards. I sat in chair to wait. A female officer comes in with a return. She has two sets of pink handcuffs on her belt. Nothing wrong with that. Just made me chuckle.

A lot of Maricopa County Deputies carry pink cuffs. Has to do with Sheriff Joe using pink cuffs in the jails so other departments don't take county equipment.

TSH
10-25-2015, 12:14 PM
A lot of Maricopa County Deputies carry pink cuffs. Has to do with Sheriff Joe using pink cuffs in the jails so other departments don't take county equipment.

I work in an area with a lot of agencies in close proximity. Many of them have a cuff color they prefer to prevent confusion during intake at the county facility.

45dotACP
10-25-2015, 04:24 PM

I once had a stethoscope go MIA for 6 months. My name was engraved on the bell and my coworkers just used it as the "communal unit stethoscope" because I left it in the break room one day.

To say nothing about my favorite pen(s) :D

Dagga Boy
10-25-2015, 04:44 PM
I once had a stethoscope go MIA for 6 months. My name was engraved on the bell and my coworkers just used it as the "communal unit stethoscope" because I left it in the break room one day.

To say nothing about my favorite pen(s) :D

Obviously not cops......they just get the engraver and scratch your name out. It was always funny to see cuffs or !aglites with more than three names scratched out.

Hauptmann
10-25-2015, 05:37 PM
I usually engrave my agency and initials on mine.

gtmtnbiker98
10-25-2015, 06:28 PM
Ł
Cuff theft was always an issue. I started and finished with the same cuffs....because nobody anywhere in my area had Hiatt Himged cuffs, so I always knew mine.

Thank goodness for the girls and their hair. My usual response to my mustache length discussions with admin was that I would cut my mustache when they enforced the hair length with the female officers. It was why I was never on the administrations most loved or Christmas card lists.Have had my Hiatts since 1996! Love them, same pair still ride on my side.

Coyotesfan97
10-25-2015, 06:39 PM
God forbid you leave your cuffs in the jail or binoculars in a pool car because they're in the wind.

Leave a dollar bill on a table in the evidence packing room or a break room and that fucker will be there for a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JR1572
10-25-2015, 06:50 PM
God forbid you leave your cuffs in the jail or binoculars in a pool car because they're in the wind.

Leave a dollar bill on a table in the evidence packing room or a break room and that fucker will be there for a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Truer words have never been spoken.

JR1572

KeeFus
10-25-2015, 07:19 PM
ŁHave had my Hiatts since 1996! Love them, same pair still ride on my side.

Had my S&W's since 1995. Engraved my initials on them back then. Lost them a few times but having my initials on them always proved ownership. Still working well 20 years later. Ive never bought into the whole ASP cuffs thing. Recently I viewed a video that displayed just how crappy they were.

JBP55
10-25-2015, 07:25 PM
Had my S&W's since 1995. Engraved my initials on them back then. Lost them a few times but having my initials on them always proved ownership. Still working well 20 years later. Ive never bought into the whole ASP cuffs thing. Recently I viewed a video that displayed just how crappy they were.

Here the Officers engrave name/initials on their handcuffs. I am no longer in the workforce but I still own a pair of Peerless handcuffs I purchased in 1973. Most here use S&W.
Several years ago the local Chief of Police showed an officer what he thought of his new ASP handcuffs by pulling them apart.

Chuck Whitlock
10-26-2015, 09:30 AM

Do you have a link to the video? I'd love to share it with some of my coworkers.

Gadfly
10-26-2015, 11:50 AM
Still have my original cuffs from 1996. Of course, working immigration means that I have about a dozen sets of cuffs in the car usually.

I have said for years that I can leave $20,000 in seized cash on my desk, or 10 kilos of dope, and it will stay untouched if I walk off to the bathroom... but leave cokes in the fridge, Oreos on the desk, an unattended flashlight charger or cuffs and my co workers will steal them in a heartbeat. Cash is safe, iPhone chargers and staplers need to be screwed to the desk.

voodoo_man
10-26-2015, 12:44 PM
Old timer I worked with has two sets, one black hinge old and rusty, other is a pair of pink ASP cuffs.

When someone, especially someone who is gettin arrested, asks what the pink cuffs are for his reply is that they are for bitches, and asks the person if they are a bitch that deserves pink cuffs.

Dagga Boy
10-26-2015, 02:09 PM
Still have my original cuffs from 1996. Of course, working immigration means that I have about a dozen sets of cuffs in the car usually.

I have said for years that I can leave $20,000 in seized cash on my desk, or 10 kilos of dope, and it will stay untouched if I walk off to the bathroom... but leave cokes in the fridge, Oreos on the desk, an unattended flashlight charger or cuffs and my co workers will steal them in a heartbeat. Cash is safe, iPhone chargers and staplers need to be screwed to the desk.

Truth!!!!

Nephrology
10-26-2015, 05:38 PM

Mine has my med school alumni association logo on the diaphragm and then a piece of blue electrical tape around the neck just before it bifurcates. Pretty easy to keep track of.

Bigguy
10-27-2015, 07:41 AM
but leave cokes in the fridge, Oreos on the desk, an unattended flashlight charger or cuffs and my co workers will steal them in a heartbeat. Cash is safe, iPhone chargers and staplers need to be screwed to the desk.

Where's a cop when you need one?

KPD
10-31-2015, 03:59 AM
We had two rams in my office. One pink and one blue. They were named, Pinky and Blue.
Blue got lost many years ago but Pinky has been with us almost 10 years.
When we work with other agencies we may have things like radios that take a day or two to get back home but Pinky never gets lost. Other cops will use her but they will hand her back like she has a communicable disease as soon as they are done.

Her paint has chipped off pretty bad in some spots. I am thinking about getting her powder coated instead of just re-painted before the end of the year.