PDA

View Full Version : Things to do to a used Mossberg 590?

ssb
10-22-2015, 11:53 AM
I found an excellent deal on a Mossberg 590. It has some dings here and there (looks like it's been dropped), but I don't notice anything that seems to be a functional issue.

Right now it's configured as a pistol-grip only gun with a 20" barrel. It's got a bead sight and a heat shield. The pistol grip's going as soon as I can get Magpul furniture on the thing, and I'll probably take the heat shield off as well to save a bit of weight. Apart from the furniture, is there anything that should be done to the gun for reliability's sake? Replacing the mag spring/follower, for example? What about the trigger group and safety -- is there any compelling reason to go to metal for either?

Chuck Haggard
10-22-2015, 12:02 PM
Full stock, maybe the MagPul version, Vang magazine follower and a Wolff magazine spring, you should be GTG

ssb
10-22-2015, 12:10 PM
Great, thanks for the info. I'll get the follower and spring ordered.

Chuck Haggard
10-22-2015, 12:49 PM
Losing the heat shield is a good idea as well. They get in the way when you are trying to run the slide.

ST911
10-22-2015, 10:08 PM
Metal safety button
Mag spring replacement- frequent with OEM, less so w/ premium aftermarket
High-vis follower
Remove, degrease, reinstall w/ loctite: GRS, sling swivel, ejector screw, stock screw
Sometimes useful: Polish chamber, polish elevator
Run a premium lubricant
Check extractors for chips/wear, replace if needed (cheap)

peterb
10-23-2015, 06:37 AM
The action parts -- especially the stamped bits -- can be a bit rough on 500s/590s. Deburring and cleaning up rough/sharp areas should smooth the action a bit.

Running a lot of rounds through it will eventually have the same effect, but I like starting off ahead.

For me, the stock safety button is too slippery to use with gloves. I like this one:
http://www.brownells.com/shotgun-parts/receiver-action-parts/safety-parts/safeties/mossberg-500-590-835-930-935-enhanced-safety-button-prod26966.aspx

Drang
10-23-2015, 09:25 AM
Research.
When installing the Surefire DSF (fore-end LED light) on my 500 I found these useful:

Mossberg 500, 535, 590, 835 Shotgun Disassembly & Reassembly Gun-guide (Disassembly & Reassembly Guide) (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MXNK3Y/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)
Mossberg Models 500 535 590 & 835 Pump Action Shotguns Do Everything Manual (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003DKFV5I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

I did, indeed consult both of them, as I found the slight difference in wording helpful, especially during reassembly.

I like the Magpul buttstock. Pistol grip stocks negate the advantage of the safety button on the Mossberg design, which is essentially ambidextrous.

SpyderMan2k4
10-23-2015, 01:32 PM
Congrats! The magpul furniture is incredible. Definitely the way to go. Like Chuck said, a follower and spring should be early on in everyone's upgrades. I personally like the S&J hardware follower- it's machined bright green delrin. Delrin is super slick so it feeds and loads like a dream. It's bright so it's easy to see, and the dimple they machine into it is really easy to feel the difference between that and a shell. But really, pretty much any aftermarket follower will be much better than the factory one. As for an upgraded safety, both Tom Givens and Steve Fisher indicated that plastic Mossberg safeties are usually a weak point. Not the entire mechanism, just the plastic button. I got the Vang Comp oversized safety earlier this summer and it's absolutely awesome.

Chuck Haggard
10-23-2015, 06:25 PM
IMHO the Vang stainless steel followers beats the shit out of every plastic followers on the market, by far.

SpyderMan2k4
10-23-2015, 09:05 PM
IMHO the Vang stainless steel followers beats the shit out of every plastic followers on the market, by far.

I've got a Vang as well and I have no complaints. I might pick up some bright green powdercoat for it... that would definitely put it over the top (as far as my preferences go)

Chuck Whitlock
10-24-2015, 04:18 PM
In addition to what other have said, I'm a fan of the XS Big Dot tritium sight. I was able to bust clays with it on a 590DA1 pretty easily.

http://www.xssights.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=993616&CAT=8265

HighSpeedBail
10-24-2015, 11:08 PM
Thanks for the links Drang.

I picked up a 590a1 months ago and still haven't even taken it out of the box. Been delaying looking up how to strip it. Looks like I'll have time next week so I'll put those to use.

Thank you

Mjolnir
04-26-2019, 06:58 PM
Old thread; good info!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk