PDA

View Full Version : AAR: Combined Skills Course-Rangemaster and Bluff Dale Firearms Academy

NickA
09-22-2011, 08:40 PM
AAR: Combined Skills Course-Rangemaster and Bluff Dale Firearms Academy
Date: September 10-11,2011, Weatherford, TX
Instructors: Tom Givens, Steve Moses, Allan McBee, Troy Miller MD
Prior Training: DTI Basic Handgun, AFHF
This course popped up on short notice for me, but I was intrigued by the format and Tom’s description was pretty much a “to-do” list for my training needs at the moment. Tom Givens is obviously a well respected trainer and I knew the other trainers would be great if he was working with them.
TD1
Class began at 8:45 with all the usual housekeeping stuff, then began in earnest with a lecture by Tom Givens. Fortunately (for us) Tom being located in Memphis has given him a wealth of experience to draw on, both his own and his students. Over the years Rangemaster has trained some 30,000 students, and over 50 of them have been in gunfights, prevailed, and shared their experience with Tom. So he has a pretty good idea of how these things happen and what it takes to win. We also watched the Lessons from the Street DVD (recommended) followed by Tom’s comments on those encounters. We heard many anecdotes from “Mogadishu on the Mississippi”, some funny and some heartbreaking but all educational.
After that we got a bit of the history of modern gunfighting, discussing the Newhall incident from the 70’s and the 1986 Miami shootout. I was aware of both incidents but Tom broke them down in detail, with accompanying video and diagrams for the Miami shootout, and discussed the lessons learned and impact on everything from shooting technique to ammunition design. We watched video on the Deputy Dinkheller and Lance Thomas cases as examples of mindset (or lack thereof) and how it affects your ability to fight. It’s worth noting that while these were reviewed with a critical eye, there was no criticism or second-guessing of the men involved.
It really was a great talk, and reminded me a lot of John Farnam’s lecture but with more details and real world examples to drive the lessons home. The important lesson (big surprise!) is that multiple fast, accurate hits to vital targets end fights. A corollary to this is that if YOU get hit with a handgun in a non-vital area you’ll probably be fine, so keep fighting.
Probably the biggest takeaway for me was to make up your mind NOW that you won’t be a victim. Tom mentioned that he has talked to many “homicide survivors” who lived through attempted murders. Their “final thoughts” were almost never the only one that mattered – how do I stop this SOB from trying to kill me! No one cares why they’re doing it and no one is coming to help, so you’d best be ready to deal with it yourself.
Around 3:00 we broke to gear up for the range and our session with Allan and Steve. We started with a walk through of using the “fence” position to deal with an unknown contact and transition to a draw if necessary. We worked dry fire on clearing cover, presenting the gun, and reloads for a bit then went to live fire. Drills started with slow fire dot drills to diagnose issues with grip, sight picture or trigger control, and we added second shots, reloads and SHO and WHO shooting as we progressed. Particular emphasis was placed on trigger press and follow through, with the mantra “One shot = two sight pictures” used to illustrate it. We wrapped up around 6:30 with about 200-250 rounds fired and went for a very enjoyable dinner.

TD2
For day 2 we broke into 2 squads, with my group hitting the range first while the others went into the classroom with Steve. Instructing on the range were Tom, Allan and PF’s own Prdator who drove in from OK to help out. There were 7 or 8 of us in the squad with the instructors’ undivided attention so we stayed BUSY. We’d fire a drill, reload, reholster, pick up mags and top off while Tom set up the next drill, repeat. We only left the line long enough to hydrate and top off our loose ammo. I didn’t keep count but estimate we fired about 500 rounds in around 4 hours.
Again we started out with diagnostic dot shooting drills, the instructors working the line to correct any issues and give advice. Several different targets were used as we added multiple shot strings, reloads, and “changing gears” drills with different size targets. At first we worked from a draw to low ready and eventually went straight from the holster to making the shot. SHO and WHO shooting were practiced and we added some movement, though due to the size of the range we were basically restricted to one or two side steps.
The last several drills were fired on targets with numbered and colored shapes along the edges and an anatomically correct torso with the vitals illustrated. Our goal was to hit the heart, arteries or spine and not settle for a lung or peripheral hit. The most fun was one where we had 7 in the gun plus 2 reloads of 7, and each shape (numbered 1-6) got the number of shots printed on it, reloading as we went. That drill really included everything- draw, several transitions, multiple shot strings, reloads and hardest of all - thinking. Everything revolved around multiple, fast accurate hits to vital areas. We finished up with several iterations of shooting the shapes based on Tom’s verbal commands to hit a certain shape, color or number, or the chest or head, with it being our responsibility to stay loaded as we went. These were fun and a great “workout”, and I was happy with my shooting overall. Many thanks to Spencer who seemed to be right over my shoulder with a few good words of advice every time I was wondering WTF I had just done.
After a break for lunch our group went into the classroom for the segment on home & vehicle defense. This began with a general discussion on how and when most of these types of attacks happen and strategies for how and when to use your vehicle as a weapon. Then we went outside for some role playing on managing unknown contacts, again using the fence position as a start and practicing verbal escalation and movement to break contact. This was then incorporated into a vehicular setting – Steve acted as the aggressor while we were approaching and getting into / out of our own cars. We each did several iterations and Steve varied his approach from just verbal to actively pointing his (plastic) gun. We also used plastic guns for the final few runs so we could incorporate a seated draw; it was very useful to see exactly how (under stress) you can manage to clear a seat belt, lock the doors, etc.
Back inside we talked basic home defense- preventive measures, having a plan with your family members, and knowing your own home so you can clear it effectively if necessary. Steve used the classroom and an adjoining room to demonstrate clearing corners and how to make sure you see everything before moving, and we worked some drills with either us or Steve going into the next room and setting an ambush. Again it was amazing what you see (or miss) under even simulated stress.
The last hour or so was Dr. Miller’s section on first aid, beginning with an explanation of exactly how gunshot wounds kill. This was followed by discussion and demonstration of various items you should have in your FAK, along with suggestions on how to improvise using simple items like duct tape and safety pins. We wrapped up with a hands-on drill to put some of the equipment to use. I would have liked this section to be longer with more demonstrations, but what we got was very good, and I know a lot more than I did before the class.

As usual this AAR really doesn’t do the class justice. In my brief experience I’ve found that a lot of the learning in a class like this comes from comments made as asides or brought out by questions and this was no different. You get a lot of little details that you may not get elsewhere (for example Tom had some good follow up info on the Miami shootout and Lance Thomas that came from people close to those incidents).There should be a much better report coming soon in SWAT, as we did have a writer in the class.
Being rather frugal with my time and money, I found the format of this class to be a great value, and would love to see more like it (that’s a hint, trainers). I got a good intermediate / advanced level tune up on my shooting, a fantastic lesson on mindset, a solid intro to home and vehicle defense and first aid all in 2 days for a very reasonable price. This will serve me well until I get the time and money to do an ECQC class with Southnarc and some more advanced first aid training.

Al T.
09-23-2011, 06:57 AM
Great AAR - thanks! If Memphis wasn't a darn 14 hour drive, I'd take a lot more classes from Tom.

Prdator
09-23-2011, 04:15 PM
GREAT AAR!!

This is an excellent class!!! lots of great skills all wrapped up into one convenient class.

Senor Esteban
09-23-2011, 08:16 PM
Nick,
It was good to meet you, and I could tell after watching you work on the range for a few minutes that you had a very good foundation. This was a very enjoyable class to be a part of, and we are going to make this a 20-hr class and increase my block by an hour and Dr. Miller's block by three four hours in the future. Our objective was to make it possible for new students to leave the class much better prepared to protect themselves and their families, and provide our more advanced students with a hard workout and some new skills, tactics and knowledge. Like I said in the class, Southnarc is the Man when it comes to teaching one how to deal with unknown contacts and one-person structure clearing, and I encourage everyone who took this class to avail themselves of his instruction. We intend to teach this class again in Weatherford, TX in March, and OKC in June. We are tickled to be working with Spencer, who is extremely competent.
Best regards,
Steve

JM Campbell
09-25-2011, 05:13 PM
I'm in for March and definitely looking for a Southnarc class shortly after.

Thanks for the AAR Nick hope to see you on the range soon.

NickA
09-28-2011, 09:53 AM
Steve- thanks for the kind words. The changes you're proposing would make this an absolute killer class, and it was great to begin with.
Spencer- again thanks for your help, look forward to working with you again.
Skyline- you'll love the class, worth every penny. We definitely need to get together soon, I've been slammed lately. I'll also be looking for SN in the spring, hopefully he'll be back in TX then.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

JM Campbell
09-29-2011, 09:30 AM
Absolutely Nick, I'm free on Sat the 8th if you are. We'll talk more when we meet up.