PDA

View Full Version : Pros & Cons of Speed Six for Carry

SamAdams
10-20-2015, 02:19 PM
A relative of mine has a 2 3/4" barrel Speed Six in 357. He's thinking about using it as his carry gun. (For him, a revolver is a good choice over a semi auto.) He doesnt own any other handguns & isnt a gun hobbyist type. He doesnt want to fool with his own guns (changing springs, etc) He asked me the pros and cons of using this model gun. I have a 6 in barrel Security Six. I've used it at the range & sometimes when doing outdoor activities. But not a lot. I've never used a Six Series gun for general carry & would appreciate your comments on this out of production revolver for the purpose mentioned. Thanks -

JHC
10-20-2015, 02:26 PM
AFAIK they maintain a superb reputation. I had one as you describe in the '90's and sorely regret not keeping it.

It's very close to a K frame in size and to some, me for one, it carries more elan.

SteveK
10-20-2015, 02:38 PM
I have a Service Six in .38 spl. with the 2 3/4 barrel. I love that gun and would never part with it. If I could only have one it might be the one.

coldcase1984
10-20-2015, 02:40 PM
Cons: Heavy

Pros: Reliable, Powerful (adequate to Holy Schitt), accurate enough for self-defense, when empty can use as bludgeon (See Cons)

Thoughts: He should go to next Revolver Roundup to learn how to run a wheelgun for mortal stakes.

GJM
10-20-2015, 02:43 PM
It would be my number one choice for carry while doing lawn work.

SamAdams
10-20-2015, 02:56 PM
Are parts much of an issue - at least any parts most likely to break ? Are gunsmiths tough to find to work on them ? (He's in the Seattle area.)

I don't put enough rounds through my Security Six to know.

BTW - he did let me shoot it a few years back. Very nice gun.

JHC
10-20-2015, 02:57 PM
It would be my number one choice for carry while doing lawn work.

Because you get moose and bear in your lawn?

SMD
10-20-2015, 03:08 PM
SamAdams- You asked about parts? They can be in short supply. I had an older Security Six with multiple issues. I sent it to Ruger who informed me they would be unable to effect the repair because they no longer supported the necessary parts. To Ruger's credit, they did make me a screaming deal on a new GP100.

The fact is your relative's Speed Six will probably go a long, long time before parts replacement is even relevant.

GJM
10-20-2015, 03:08 PM
Because you get moose and bear in your lawn?

Nope:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?17523-Best-Tactic-For-This-Situation

You are working in your backyard when two guys surprise you, both with guns held. You decide compliance is not the best course and decide to engage them. One guy is at 3 yards and the other behind him at 5 yards, a little to his left. There is no cover. Assume average thug skill level. You have a BUG gun with 6 rounds only. Assume the shooter has C-Class USPSA or Sharpshooter IDPA skills.

Whirlwind06
10-20-2015, 03:11 PM
The only Cons I know is that Ruger doesn't support this model any longer. So if he was say planning playing gun games with it he might have a problem. But they are a very sold design, I can't imagine to many things would wear out.

FNFAN
10-20-2015, 03:50 PM
[QUOTE=GJM;363259]Nope:]

You are working in your backyard when two guys surprise you, both with guns held. You decide compliance is not the best course and decide to engage them. One guy is at 3 yards and the other behind him at 5 yards, a little to his left. There is no cover. Assume average thug skill level. You have a BUG gun with 6 rounds only. Assume the shooter has C-Class USPSA or Sharpshooter IDPA

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b314/Detonics/Mobile%20Uploads/stirring-the-pot_zpsrbtxzwjy.gif

Mmmmm...Bouillabaisse!

Dagga Boy
10-20-2015, 04:38 PM
It sounds like a near perfect choice for the person who owns it. Likely will never wear it out. Not too big, not to small, easy to shoot and easy for non-dedicated people to administratively and safely operate and carry.

Trooper224
10-20-2015, 04:49 PM
Seems like it would fit in perfectly with your friends needs. The only downside is it's out of production status, but it's built like a tank so chances of it needing service are minimal.

Chuck Haggard
10-20-2015, 06:23 PM
FWIW, I wish to this day I never sold the two Speed Sixes I had back when, and my Security Six has gone tens of thousands of rounds with zero issues.

I get the worry about parts and revolver repair, but those things are not a Colt in how they hold up either.

JR1572
10-20-2015, 06:35 PM
There are lots of used parts for the six series revolvers available on eBay.

JR1572

SamAdams
10-20-2015, 08:46 PM
Thanks guys. This will be reassuring for him. I'll let him know he's good to go.

Totem Polar
10-20-2015, 11:02 PM
Nope:

Well played, Mr. bond.

SamAdams
10-21-2015, 11:03 AM
Of course, its just a movie - but here's an interesting video on the training Cruise did for 'Collateral'. (Havent seen the movie, myself. Not really a big action movie fan):

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=H8-P8sJNHk0

P.S. - being Hollywood, I wouldnt be surprised if Cruise is anti-2A, but I don't really know. That's a Romper Room topic (and I don't really care).

Wayne Dobbs
10-21-2015, 02:25 PM
Nyeti and I know a certain small Irish guy who plucked several weeds from the Lord's garden with a 2 3/4 Speed Six .38 Special while a street detective in NYC. Worked very well for him...

JonInWA
10-21-2015, 03:03 PM
I don't have a Security Six, but I do have (and carry) a stainless steel 4" Security Six (in a Blade-Tech kydex IWB holster). It carrys, as others have mentioned, superbly. Historically, there simply is very, very little that tends to go wrong or break on the -Six Series revolvers-Ruger over-built them, especially compared to comparable Smith & Wesson K-Frames. Frankly, probably the only spare that I can think worthy of having on hand would be a trigger spring, but that's easily obtainable (and in an improved version compared to the OEM one {but I'm still using the OEM one...} from Wolff Gunsprings.

There are multiple spare ammunition carry options currently available, in terms of loading devices and pouches.

The Speed Six would also be slightly easier to carry than the currently available GP100 in any of its 3" incarnations (although that's another great revolver).

Since it's fixed sight, I's strongly suggest that your friend get the sights and his carry load doped in; historically Ruger fixed-sight service revolvers have the sights configured for 158 gr loadings, but a gunsmith can adjust to one's cartridge/bullet weight preference. Part of the process may be in him choosing between .38 Special and .357 Magnum cartridges for zeroing; unless he's strongly preferentially inclined towards .357 Magnums, a .38 Special +P is usually easier on the shooter, and provides faster splits; there are some well-proven .38 Special cartridges easily available, and a perusal of Doc GKR's Ammunition section on the forum here might be helpful.

Best, Jon

SamAdams
10-22-2015, 12:49 PM
I have one more question guys, regarding my relative's 357 Speed Six with 2 3/4" barrel. Whats his best choice for a defensive round ? He bought some Federal (or maybe Winchester - I don't recall) 158gr LSWCHP + P awhile ago. Here's quoting Doc:

" In the proper historical perspective, the 158 gr +P LSWCHP fired out 3-4" barrel revolvers was one of the best rounds available--and it is still a viable choice, as long as you understand its characteristics. "

The Speed Six has a little less than the 3" of barrel mentioned above. Can we assume he's still o.k. with that round for his revolver ? Personally, I'm not fond of shooting 357 Mag from a relatively short barrel. But does the fact that this Speed Six is chambered for the 357, change what would be his best choice in carry ammo ? This revolver seems "to be in the middle". Not too big, and not too small. Not too light, and not too heavy. Not so much a snubby, and not service revolver length barrel either. Thanks

scott
10-22-2015, 01:01 PM
That's still a good choice.

w provence
10-22-2015, 03:13 PM
Yeah that's a great choice. Gun and ammo........

Nephrology
10-22-2015, 08:47 PM
There's also the Speer GD 135gr +P JHP to consider, too.

1986s4
10-23-2015, 07:46 AM
There are some benefits to full target wadcutter ammo in a .38 snub. I've only shot paper with mine but they're pretty much guaranteed to make a perfect .36 caliber hole in whatever they hit and shoot to point of aim.

Chuck Whitlock
10-24-2015, 09:05 AM
Honestly, the answer will come down more to what ammo shoots to point-of-aim with the fixed sights, along with the recoil characteristics that he will be comfortable with. In addition to the loads already mentioned, if your relative wants to go the magnum route, the Winchester 145 gr. Silvertip was well regarded, and is still available: http://www.winchester.com/Products/handgun-ammunition/Performance/Super-X-handgun/Pages/X357SHP.aspx

A new entry in .357 Magnum is the Hornady Critical Duty 135 gr. offering, which is supposed to meet all the FBI protocol testing: http://www.hornadyle.com/products/handgun/critical-duty/357-mag-135-gr-flexlock

SamAdams
10-24-2015, 10:16 AM
Thanks everyone for your replies here and on the ammo forum.

@ Chuck - thanks for your suggestions. I've got a variety of the 38 ammo for him to try out. He can get some of the 357 to test too. Then we can see where POA/POI is. I might even chrono the loads from his gun.

EM_
10-24-2015, 01:50 PM
Nyeti and I know a certain small Irish guy who plucked several weeds from the Lord's garden with a 2 3/4 Speed Six .38 Special while a street detective in NYC. Worked very well for him...

Damn, Wayne this just about qualifies as poetry...

valian
10-26-2015, 07:58 PM
I have one more question guys, regarding my relative's 357 Speed Six with 2 3/4" barrel. Whats his best choice for a defensive round ? He bought some Federal (or maybe Winchester - I don't recall) 158gr LSWCHP + P awhile ago. Here's quoting Doc:

" In the proper historical perspective, the 158 gr +P LSWCHP fired out 3-4" barrel revolvers was one of the best rounds available--and it is still a viable choice, as long as you understand its characteristics. "

The Speed Six has a little less than the 3" of barrel mentioned above. Can we assume he's still o.k. with that round for his revolver ? Personally, I'm not fond of shooting 357 Mag from a relatively short barrel. But does the fact that this Speed Six is chambered for the 357, change what would be his best choice in carry ammo ? This revolver seems "to be in the middle". Not too big, and not too small. Not too light, and not too heavy. Not so much a snubby, and not service revolver length barrel either. Thanks

The 158 lhp loads outa my 3" 357s (Ruger service 6s) do less than 800 fps. My 3" 38s do well over 800 fps. 800fps mv. Seems to be the too little for expansion through 4 LD for this load. I load the Speer gd. 135gr8 in 38special or 357 in my 3" 357s for this reason

Willard
10-27-2015, 11:40 AM
One thing to consider, as SMD mentioned earlier and I experienced first hand, is parts availability. Also, Ruger does not really service these anymore. I had a Security Six that the front latch was not engaging the hole in the end of the ejector rod reliably. I contacted Ruger and they sent me an RMA. Advised they could not fix it, but their customer service was superb. Far better than anything I would have expected or ever experienced elsewhere. In the end, they sent me a new Match Champion at no charge as a replacement (the Security Six was in extremely nice shape otherwise and I would actually have preferred to have kept it). Seemed like an easy fix, but not so. From what I can tell, although the six series was lighter, sleeker, and generally rugged, it is not as heavy duty as the GP series, which Ruger still obviously still services. May never become an issue, but if it does, you may find yourself in a bit of a bind, but Ruger's CS will probably take care of you.

JHC
10-27-2015, 12:19 PM
One thing to consider, as SMD mentioned earlier and I experienced first hand, is parts availability. Also, Ruger does not really service these anymore. I had a Security Six that the front latch was not engaging the hole in the end of the ejector rod reliably. I contacted Ruger and they sent me an RMA. Advised they could not fix it, but their customer service was superb. Far better than anything I would have expected or ever experienced elsewhere. In the end, they sent me a new Match Champion at no charge as a replacement (the Security Six was in extremely nice shape otherwise and I would actually have preferred to have kept it). Seemed like an easy fix, but not so. From what I can tell, although the six series was lighter, sleeker, and generally rugged, it is not as heavy duty as the GP series, which Ruger still obviously still services. May never become an issue, but if it does, you may find yourself in a bit of a bind, but Ruger's CS will probably take care of you.

WAAAAATTT?????

That is amazing!

Willard
10-27-2015, 02:41 PM
WAAAAATTT?????

That is amazing!

I could not believe it. They offered me any current production revolver as a replacement. I never even heard of anything like this before. I've read about discounts on a trade in, but nothing like this. Needless to say, I'd definitely buy a Ruger again based on this alone. You hear about negative stuff all the time, but rarely the good stuff. This was definitely one of the good things in my book.

JonInWA
10-28-2015, 05:50 PM
Over the years, Ruger's Customer Service, both with revolvers and autopistols has consistently gone the extra mile (and then some) for me. They really are a class act.

Best, Jon