PDA

View Full Version : What not to do...

Shellback
09-22-2011, 03:14 PM
I happened upon a video from a group called SHARK, SHowing Animals Respect and Kindness, while perusing shooting videos. SHARK protests the killing of pigeons in PA on what appears to be a consistent basis. The reason I know it appears consistent is they have a lot of videos documenting their actions. A lot of the videos show the gun club's members doing some really stupid stuff including assault and threatening SHARK volunteers. I really have no dog in the fight and just wanted to give some background info on what I know from a quick 5 minute Google-fest.

On to the incident... I found the most complete video I could of what transpired prior to bubba pulling his holstered pistol from his pocket. Apparently he almost ran over a "protester" or something of that nature and the SHARK people chasing him were trying to get his plate number to ID him later. He then goes on to making threatening statements, assaults a woman and then draws a pistol still holstered from his pocket. After removing the holster from the pistol he brandishes it and points it at both SHARK people and tells them to get on the ground... Anyhow, feel free to discuss his awesome choice of tactics, gear choices, etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sC_zrGwaoMM&feature=relmfu

LittleLebowski
09-22-2011, 03:21 PM
Wow. Shouldn't have drawn, should have called the police. Looks like he was in Condition 3 as well.

SecondsCount
09-22-2011, 03:25 PM
Two wrongs don't make a right.

Kyle Reese
09-22-2011, 03:30 PM
Wow. Shouldn't have drawn, should have called the police. Looks like he was in Condition 3 as well.

Disengage, call the police. Get his side of the story on record first.

What was the final outcome of this incident?

Tamara
09-22-2011, 03:37 PM
See what comes of carrying XDs in SERPA holsters? (Before anybody cranks up their keyboard, that was a JOKE. :eek: )

Wow, that dude is like a walking laundry list of Things You Shouldn't Do If You CCW. :o

Jay Cunningham
09-22-2011, 03:46 PM
EVERYBODY in that clip acted like a retard. You want to get his plate? Okay good, you got it, now disengage. Playing stupid games can win you stupid prizes.

JDM
09-22-2011, 03:46 PM
I...um...wow.

ToddG
09-22-2011, 03:49 PM
"Elderly man chased by radical environmental activists finds himself cornered near a parking lot. When he approaches his pursuers and attempts to avoid being filmed and recorded without his permission, one of the young activists strikes him. The other activist remains only a few feet away, filming everything and ready to jump at the elderly driver. Cornered and outnumbered, the elderly gentleman draws his legally concealed handgun and orders both attackers to the ground while calling out for a bystander to call the police right away."

I would have called 911 while still driving and attempted to get a patrol car to intercept me and my pursuer. Let the police deal with the idiots chasing me all through town.

peterb
09-22-2011, 03:56 PM
An openly carried camera would be a more appropriate tool for dealing with that type of threat.

rsa-otc
09-22-2011, 05:38 PM
Someone chases me in my home town, they can follow me right to the police station. Hind sight and relaxed reflection being what they are; unfortunately the older gentelman stopped when he didn't have to (wasn't cornered), got out and approached the driver of the chase vehicle. While understandable, cursing does not reflect well on the person being chased and could be considered escalating the situation. As armed citizens we have duty of a higher standard of care to keep the situation from escalating to the point we feel the need to draw our weapon.

I wish the gentleman well and hope the people filming him get hammered in court. When you pull stunts like that you are only looking for trouble and they got it. Unfortunately while the person being chased may make out OK in criminal court and the people chasing him will probably not make out as well as they think they will; the ensuing civil suit will porbably make the older gentleman wish he had been more cautious.

Nephrology
09-23-2011, 09:55 AM
100% in the wrong. How threatened can you feel if you *walk up to the people chasing you in your car* and then draw the pistol like its your cell phone? He deliberately got within bad breath distance of someone who might have been a potential assailant. Really dumb.

I don't know who these environmentalists are but they weren't a whole lot smarter either... get the plates and leave. Though for once I am tempted to side with the treehuggers...

This guy gives a bad name to concealed carry. Frankly his license should get pulled.

gtmtnbiker98
09-23-2011, 12:01 PM
As armed citizens we have duty of a higher standard of care to keep the situation from escalating to the point we feel the need to draw our weapon.

I love this typical "anti" phrase...just because I go armed doesn't mean I should be judged any differently when compared to somebody who is unarmed. There's only a standard, whether or not we are armed does not influence that standard. The standard is referred to Culpable Mental State (i.e. Knowingly, Recklessly, Purposely, etc). The phrase "higher standard" burns my ass.

Al T.
09-23-2011, 12:11 PM
Interestingly enough, pointing a firearm at a non-threat in this state is a chargeable (and commonly charged) offense.

Jay Cunningham
09-23-2011, 01:46 PM
I love this typical "anti" phrase...just because I go armed doesn't mean I should be judged any differently when compared to somebody who is unarmed. There's only a standard, whether or not we are armed does not influence that standard. The standard is referred to Culpable Mental State (i.e. Knowingly, Recklessly, Purposely, etc). The phrase "higher standard" burns my ass.

It's not about being judged differently, it's about your actions. There are responsibilities that come with carrying a concealed firearm. Avoiding potential drama when it is relatively easy for you to do so is one of those responsibilities.

ubervic
09-24-2011, 06:10 PM
Unfortunately, this video supports the fear held by many that those who carry concealed can and will respond to unpleasant confrontation scenarios (road rage; jockeying for a parking space in a chock-full parking lot; suffering a fender bender; etc.) by drawing their arms in an effort to push-back, intimidate or coerce.

Much to the contrary, the responsible CCW-holder understands that managing a non-life-threatening confrontation---no matter how irritating---by deliberately engaging via drawing one's weapon is illegitimate and idiotic, not to mention illegal.

Mitchell, Esq.
09-24-2011, 10:25 PM
This video shows someone acting about as dumb-shit as it can get.

(And the SERPA didn't help...)

TGS
09-25-2011, 11:52 AM
This video shows someone acting about as dumb-shit as it can get.

(And the SERPA didn't help...)

I thought the SERPA was the pocket holster of choice......

gtmtnbiker98
09-25-2011, 03:09 PM
I thought the SERPA was the pocket holster of choice......It is.

TommyG
10-02-2011, 12:58 PM
I thought the SERPA was the pocket holster of choice......

It is actually in the running for the new State Flower here in PA. The evidence that is piling up showing that is not the best holster choice just seems to fan the fires of adiration for it in here.

David Armstrong
10-05-2011, 01:05 PM

I haven't found that phrase to be typically "anti" at all. In fact I find it more from those who are more "pro", and I'd tend to agree. We do have a higher standard as armed citizens. It's not an issue of being judged, it is an issue of what to do do and how to respond. My $.02.

Wheeler
10-05-2011, 05:00 PM

Not to jump on a bandwagon but I will kick in my .02.

When I got my CWL about 10 years ago, the best piece of advice I received was;

"When you pack a gun, you give up your right to defend your honor."

That's also about the time I quit drinking alcohol on a regular basis.

To me that's a good piece of advice in layman's terms.

Wheeler

mscott327
10-18-2011, 06:01 AM
Both parties were in the wrong. The vehicle chasing, once getting the tag number could have disengaged and contacted the authorities. The man stops after making some poor driving decisions and confronts his pursuers...That's really stupid! And to top it off he pulls out a gun. He was safe in his vehicle. Call the police or drive to a police station. No need to draw.

To top it off, he draws his weapon serpa and all. Maybe he needs to take one of Todd's classes( just kidding). He especially needs some dry fire practice. If that was a real life threatening situation, his dumb ass was dead.