PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about downsizing - which to sell?

Nephrology
10-17-2015, 12:43 PM
So, long story short, I have somehow accumulated quite a battery of carry pistols and feel that a few of them might be redundant. I would probably use the money to buy either a second G19 , a G43, or maybe to save up for a P01 from CGW, as I have wanted to get a nice DA/SA pistol for a while. Here are the ones I am thinking of flipping along with a few pros and cons.

1. S&W no-lock 442 w/ CT Grips. My deep carry pistol/BUG. I don't particularly enjoy shooting it and the capacity makes me hesitate, but it is also the only pocket-carryable pistol I own and is very handy for waistline carry in NPEs. Definitely more concealable than the Shield, though that could be largely because my holster for my Shield is somewhat marginal.

2. S&W Shield 9mm. Just got this a few months ago. Pros - Very concealable on the waistline, shoots very softly, versatile with the +1 mag. Cons - the RSA exploded after ~650 rounds. I got a replacement from S&W but am a little leery of the pistol since. Also I don't shoot it nearly as well as I shoot my glocks, but I have started to get used to the gun with practice. I also am not heavily invested in this platform - just have the 2 mags and an AIWB holster for it, so I wouldn't lose much if I sold it.

3. Glock 26. I love this gun and shoot it very well, but it is much fatter on my waist than a single stack 9 or my J frame. That said, it still conceals better than the 19 and I feel very adequately armed with it on my hip. This gun is one I am least likely to sell to be honest - it is the perfect carry pistol for me behind my G19. The only reason I am considering it is that it might be redundant between my G19 and my Shield (or a 43, if I buy one of those).

4. Glock 35. Has Warren FO sights. Got this used for a song when I moved to CO. I bought it primarily so I could have a FS duty pistol for which I could buy new normal cap mags . I also intend to eventually use it for gun games (USPSA Ltd, IDPA ESP w/9mm conversion bbl), but for now I mostly plan to use it for home defense/woods carry. Don't have many rounds through it so far. Pros - I can buy new std cap mags for the gun and it is a .40 so I should be able to still find ammo when another panic begins. I also think it would make a perfect home defense/woods pistol and probably prefer it for that role over my G17, which I mostly use for gun games (IDPA + USPSA). Cons - Requires me to stock another caliber, and for now my free time is so limited that I am not likely to really use it for gun games in the forseeable future. Even when I get the time to get back into the competition circuit, I would probably be better served simply shooting production or SSP.

Or I could always just stand pat - generally speaking I am averse to selling guns as I always take a loss and never feel as if I can have too many pistols. Thoughts?

JSGlock34
10-17-2015, 12:53 PM
Doesn't sound like you're very confident in your Shield. We can debate the merits of the various pistols you listed for days, but is that going to change? If you're going to kick one, it doesn't sound like you'd miss the Shield, and the role seems covered between your other pistols (or the G43 if you go in that direction).

ReverendMeat
10-17-2015, 01:05 PM
I've seen a Gen4 Glock RSA explode at a lower round count than that, shit happens and I wouldn't hold it against the Shield as it is not a common problem. In the poll I clicked Glock 35 but I meant Glock 26, between the Shield and your 19 it seems redundant to me.

jh9
10-17-2015, 01:25 PM
Hard to say since I'm not you, but if I were me I would also ditch the 26. And the shield. And probably the 35.

I toyed with in-between sizes for years and never found anything in the goldilocks zone. I skip straight from pocket size to mediumish size ~4" IWB guns. e.g. Glock 19, CCO, 3" K/L frames, etc. Smaller than that and why bother. Still have to wear the gunbelt, IWB holster, etc. YMMV.

If you do decide to shoot pretty much any action pistol game, the 35 is about as close to ideal as it gets. But it's also a commodity. Finding a Glock 35 even during a panic isn't exactly difficult. If you're not using it, sell it. Keep the mags, though. Those *do* get hard to find. I wouldn't consider it measurably better as a nightstand/defense gun than your 19.

So that's 3 things you could get rid of and replace with another 19 or whatever it is you actually use.

MVS
10-17-2015, 03:41 PM
I never carry my 642, but I am unlikely to get rid of it just because. I voted for the shield.

breakingtime91
10-17-2015, 03:58 PM
keep the j frame, I think they are pretty versatile. I would sell everything else and grab an second g19 (never a bad idea to have two of the same gun that you train seriously with) and either invest the rest in ammo/training or grab that p01. Full disclosure, I am a minimalist when it comes to guns. I plan on having 5 fire arms total: a p2000, a p2000sk (covers cali legal since my family is military and we may move there), a snub nose of some flavor, carbine, and 870 (once again because of cali). This can obviously change as I mature as a shooter but that is my ideal set up.

Kyle Reese
10-17-2015, 04:01 PM
Sell the Shield and the Glock 35, and use the proceeds to get a nice CZ from David at Cajun Gun Works.

Duces Tecum
10-17-2015, 04:10 PM
Speaking personally, I don't carry a back-up; instead, I carry a second gun. The distinction is that both the first and second guns can use a common magazine. That single feature is critical to me. For that reason, if you were not to sell your G19 I'd not think you would be happy getting rid of your G-26.

WobblyPossum
10-17-2015, 04:36 PM
I voted for the Shield because you seem to already dislike it, even if just a little. I wouldn't sell the J-Frame because everyone should have some kind of pocket gun for those times when it's almost impossible to conceal something on your waistline due to dress code, environment or whatnot.

VolGrad
10-17-2015, 07:59 PM
Keep the J-frame and sell all the rest.

Cookie Monster
10-17-2015, 09:07 PM
Sell them all but the BUG. Buy a second carry gun and a shit ton of magazines.

Patrin
10-18-2015, 12:01 AM
Keep the J-frame and sell all the rest.

This...and buy a second G19 with the proceeds...one to train with and one to carry.

breakingtime91
10-18-2015, 12:02 AM
2016 is coming, buy all the mags! all the mags!

tanner
10-19-2015, 12:35 AM
Each and every gun on your list is easily replaceable. If you can get the right amount of money for them, sell. If not, hold.

I have regretted selling guns in the past, but the majority of them I replaced once I realized the error of my ways. The only truly regrettable sale was the Pre-Model 10 that was stamped "Detroit Police" on the barrel. Don't think I'll ever find another one of those :(

LSP972
10-19-2015, 10:52 AM
keep the j frame, I think they are pretty versatile. I would sell everything else and grab an second g19 (never a bad idea to have two of the same gun that you train seriously with) and... invest the rest in ammo/training

One should always have a J frame. They fill a niche that, IMO, nothing else can. Case in point… This past week-end, my youngest daughter was married. A full-blown ceremony with all the trimmings, which meant I had to wear a monkey suit. A fitted tuxedo is not the most user-friendly garment for carrying ANYTHING; no belt, flimsy material, etc. I had initially intended to go with an ankle holster, because nothing else seemed to work; even pocket carry- the gun and holster bulged noticeably. And I don't do shoulder holsters. Then I got the tux, did a last-minute try-on, and had an inspiration. I dug out an OLD Bianchi soft leather IWB holster with metal clip; you know, the kind that gurus say will get ya kilt on the streetz, yet served me well for many years. I clipped it on at the appendix position. The tux's vest covered it nicely, and leaving the bottom vest button undone gave immediate access. Problem solved.

Not only that, my #1 grandson has a larcenous side to him, and he- without my knowledge- went around to all the guests/participants who knew me well, making book on whether or not I was carrying a piece at my daughter's wedding. He knew, you see. The not-so-little bastard collected over a hundred bucks; almost all saying I was NOT armed with a handgun. I noticed some folks looking at me with more than detached interest, but I was in full coast mode and just trying to get through the day. Those of you with girls know that the mission of the father of the bride is to show up on time and reasonably sober (after having shelled out felonious amounts of money for everything) so you can walk your baby down the aisle, dance the first dance, then your part is done.

Anyway… well into the reception, I was suddenly grabbed and frisked by two old comrades. They found the M-360PD immediately, and one of them let loose a groan of dismay. It was then I saw grandson #1 standing nearby, wearing a shit-eating grin.

Said grin disappeared after, figuring out what was going on, I demanded he split the proceeds with me or his ammo supply would be cut off.

I love happy endings.

Now, one could say that the OP's Shield could serve this purpose, and it would. But a J frame does it without the attendant worries of potential malfunctions that can occur with little semi-autos deployed from concealment; and a Speed Strip in the pocket is less bulky than a spare magazine.

breakingtime91
10-19-2015, 11:25 AM
One should always have a J frame. They fill a niche that, IMO, nothing else can. Case in point… This past week-end, my youngest daughter was married. A full-blown ceremony with all the trimmings, which meant I had to wear a monkey suit. A fitted tuxedo is not the most user-friendly garment for carrying ANYTHING; no belt, flimsy material, etc. I had initially intended to go with an ankle holster, because nothing else seemed to work; even pocket carry- the gun and holster bulged noticeably. And I don't do shoulder holsters. Then I got the tux, did a last-minute try-on, and had an inspiration. I dug out an OLD Bianchi soft leather IWB holster with metal clip; you know, the kind that gurus say will get ya kilt on the streetz, yet served me well for many years. I clipped it on at the appendix position. The tux's vest covered it nicely, and leaving the bottom vest button undone gave immediate access. Problem solved.

Not only that, my #1 grandson has a larcenous side to him, and he- without my knowledge- went around to all the guests/participants who knew me well, making book on whether or not I was carrying a piece at my daughter's wedding. He knew, you see. The not-so-little bastard collected over a hundred bucks; almost all saying I was NOT armed with a handgun. I noticed some folks looking at me with more than detached interest, but I was in full coast mode and just trying to get through the day. Those of you with girls know that the mission of the father of the bride is to show up on time and reasonably sober (after having shelled out felonious amounts of money for everything) so you can walk your baby down the aisle, dance the first dance, then your part is done.

Anyway… well into the reception, I was suddenly grabbed and frisked by two old comrades. They found the M-360PD immediately, and one of them let loose a groan of dismay. It was then I saw grandson #1 standing nearby, wearing a shit-eating grin.

Said grin disappeared after, figuring out what was going on, I demanded he split the proceeds with me or his ammo supply would be cut off.

I love happy endings.

Now, one could say that the OP's Shield could serve this purpose, and it would. But a J frame does it without the attendant worries of potential malfunctions that can occur with little semi-autos deployed from concealment; and a Speed Strip in the pocket is less bulky than a spare magazine.

That is a hilarious story, glad you could make some money out of it. I am in complete agreement that everyone should have a j frame of some flavor. Case and point (I copied you), I was unable to carry at my brothers wake/funeral because the only firearm I had available to me was a full size mp (left my house in a hurry to grab a last minute flight into a unknown town) and a not so great iwb holster (it is my step dads). I remember trying on my new suit and thinking a J frame would of done nicely in appendix...

Beat Trash
10-19-2015, 05:18 PM

I love happy endings.

I have a daughter getting married next May. I feel your pain...

I have a S&W 642 J-Frame that I hardly ever carry any more. It is my third 642. Each time I have sold one, it takes about 6 months to the day for me to regret the decision. So much so that for almost a year, it lived in my safe, with a post it not attached that said, "Don't even think about selling me off".

I don't need my J-Frame that often. But when I do carry it, it's because it fills a niche that can't be filled with anything else at that time.

And I would have made the grandson split the winnings also. His penance for causing the additional attention brought to me at the time.

LSP552
10-19-2015, 06:13 PM

I love happy endings.

I can't believe you have friends who think you go anywhere with a gun of some flavor! And I'm impressed with #1's business sense!

LSP552
10-19-2015, 08:01 PM
Oops, too late to edit my last post. It should read that Steve shouldn't have friends who think he goes anywhere Without a gun!

Nephrology
10-21-2015, 07:50 AM
thanks for the input everyone. After thinking about it, I am probably going to either stand pat or sell/trade the Shield off for a Glock 43. Any thoughts on this?

Guinnessman
10-21-2015, 08:12 AM
thanks for the input everyone. After thinking about it, I am probably going to either stand pat or sell/trade the Shield off for a Glock 43. Any thoughts on this?

I know one thing, and that is the fact that I want a G43. I toyed with the idea of getting a Shield, but Glock released the 42 and I thought holding out a little longer was not a bad idea. My J-frame has kept me company fulfilling the role of a pocket gun. There have been positive reviews on the 43, plus it will go well with your other Glocks.

Beat Trash
10-21-2015, 09:55 AM

I bought my first Shield the week they were announced in 2012. It was one of the initial batch of guns shipped during the release. I've since bought two additional Shield's. All three guns have had Apex sears installed.

I recently bought a Glock 43. I admittedly only have about 200 rds through the G43.

Keep in mind that I have large hands. I find that I shoot the Shield better than the Glock 43. My biggest problem with the G43 is being able to hold onto it.

But I find that I can conceal the G43 better than the Shield. Especially if we're talking about a pocket gun.

Now my wife, who has "little girl hands", likes the Glock 43. I actually bought the G43 because the Shield is just a bit too big for her to conceal under most types of dress. She has a Glock 42. But I just can't get too comfortable with the 380 cartridge.

To answer your question, I would try to handle and shoot a Glock 43 before I swapped out a Shield for one. A lot will depend on the size of your hand in relation to the gun. Mechanically, the Glock 43 is a good gun. The issue comes when trying to interface it with the human hand, depending on the size of the hand trying to interface with the gun.

But I would definitely hand onto that S&W 442. Those centennial J-Frames just seem to slip in and out of pockets. Especially in the extreme winter when your primary carry pistol may be buried under several layers of coats and cloths. A J-Frame on an outer coat hand warmer pocket works well.

LSP972
10-21-2015, 09:57 AM

If you can be happy with a 7-shot 9mm, then a G43 is an excellent little pistol.

I have one, but it seems to not be happy with +P ammunition (details in the G43 thread), and some folks have reported issues with the Taran Tactical +2 magazine extenders. Granted that these "issues" are very scattered, and nobody really has enough rounds through one to know for sure. My one malfunction was with +P 124gr HST, but it was a really strange one (details in the G43 thread), and that gives me pause.

I personally have five of the Taran extenders, with no problems yet. However, I've only put less than 200 rounds through them collectively. The problem is that they use the existing OEM magazine spring, which is a bit short for the extender, and some folks are experiencing last-round failures to feed as the springs get "broken in". And the available extra power after-market magazine spring only allows one extra round, so its not right either.

An additional gripe I have with mine is that it shoots high at distance.

All of these issues are fixable, but will take some effort and additional vetting before I am happy. This is one reason I have pretty much lost interest in the pistol for now.

But if I had to put it in service tomorrow, I would remove those Taran base plates, put the OEM base plates back on, load them with standard pressure 9mm, and be confident that it would work. Its a nice little piece that I think Glock got right, but its niche is limited, IMO.

So... out of the box, with no modifications (except maybe a taller front sight) and standard pressure ammunition, I'm of the opinion that the G43 is good to go for a back-up/stash piece. I was looking at it as a primary, which is why it falls short for me. But I'm definitely keeping it, and one day will get around to finish vetting it for a carry piece.

I hope all of that made sense...

KevinB
10-22-2015, 08:54 AM
I dumped my 642 when our BUG CoF required a night reload. I now shoot my Shield on the Duty Gun CoF and it does well. I have a DeltaPoint on one, and it drops easy into a pocket, in tighter pockets I use the RCS Pocket Shield to break the outline.

But the J Frames with CT grips are great guns -- I do have a pinch of regret in getting rid of it.

I have zero love for the G26 - so I voted for it.

That said if you have no confidence in the Shield dump it - lots of folks eager to snatch them up.

I agree on having at least 2 of a carry gun - so I would dump all but the J Frame and get another G19, and consider a G43 if you don't want to retain the Shield.

Of course this is from a guy who AIWB carries a CORE with DP Pro and X300 in a RCS VG-3 under a tucked dress shirt in NPE's