PDA

View Full Version : Concealability - M&P vs. M&P compact?

oboe
09-21-2011, 08:48 PM
Although I have been a shooter for the past sixty years, I've only recently joined the ranks of concealed carry. Easier said than done! Yes, I carry - but I'm having problems. I have a very bony pelvis that interferes. I already have explored shoulder holsters - and I may always have one available - but I really must find a decent concealment belt holster.

That said, I am wondering - All other things being equal [this is a theoretical hypothesis], does the Smith & Wesson M&P 9 compact conceal better than the M&P full size? Obviously, it must to some degree, but - really, how MUCH better? I'll trade this full size for a compact if it makes that much difference.

I'm asking people who actually have been familiar with both.

What's your take?

orionz06
09-21-2011, 09:17 PM
Much of it deals with body type, carry location, and holster/belt combo. I would say that there are instances where the full size is not harder to conceal than the compact. Any more details on where/how you wanna carry either?

Savage Hands
09-21-2011, 10:44 PM
For my fat ass carrying at 2:30-3:00 the 9c's grip prints less and it's nice not having the beavertail dig into your side.

fuse
09-21-2011, 10:52 PM
It certainly can conceal better.

Depending on where and how you carry it, you may find this is or isn't needed.

The American way is to get the full size, then get the compact if you feel you need it.

TCinVA
09-22-2011, 06:41 AM
Most people carrying IWB strong-side will probably find that the compact version of the M&P is less likely to print than the full sized version. When I carried the M&P I purchased a compact for those occasions where I was in a "non-permissive" environment where printing was intolerable. It worked very well for that purpose.

Talo1911
09-30-2011, 07:59 PM
The M&P 9c is a great pistol for carry. The weight and overall size of this compact are perfect. It's just as accurate as the full size M&P 9. At least when did a comparison. I currently have the 9c, and used it for all levels of my pistol training ... :cool:

jslaker
09-30-2011, 09:06 PM
My biggest issue with the FS so far in AIWB carry is the zomghuge beavertail poking me in the gut. I've considered filing it off, but I'd like to potentially use this gun in competition, so I'm holding off for now.

FJ1200SC
10-02-2011, 01:29 AM
Hello, I am new here so I hope you don't mine me just jumping right into the mix.

I carry the M&P9C and I also occasionally carry a SA XD40 4" service model. I'm a lefty and carry IWB at the 8-830 position because carrying directly at the 9 O'clock position IWB is just way to obvious as well as having an IWB right there on the hip bone is just plain painful. I use a Garrett Industries kydex/leather "Silent Thunder" with the M&P and a Comp-Tac Infidel with the XD40. I prefer kydex for IWB because it "grabs" less than a plain leather IWB holster and holds its shape as well, making re-holstering much easier. On the Silent thunder kydex/leather, it grabs a little bit but not near like a Galco SC2 leather holster.
These are both tuckable holsters as well so you can tuck in your shirt and look professional while still packing.

I outlined all the above to say this. Carrying behind the point of your strong-side hip is not optimum because of the awkward position, but the kydex holster makes it workable because of the ease of the draw. Carrying at this position also makes it much easier to conceal your piece.

Oh, I always carry my spare magazine in a horizontal single mag leather/velcro full coverage pouch. Most people think it is a cell phone or leatherman pouch.

OK, to your question. IMO the M&P9C (or 40C) conceals much easier because of the shorter grip/stock. I also use the mag with the pinkie extension but it only lengthens the front of the grip so it does not change the back, which is where you will print first. My XD40 will print much easier (per my wife's observation) and has even snagged my shirt and become exposed one time. (HAHA, at church!) One thing I am always careful of while carrying in the 8-830 position is chairs with horizontal ribbed backs. They can and will hook your piece if you are not careful. DAMHIKIJKOK

One last thought. Get a real gun-belt. they run 80-100 dollars for one that looks like any other plain belt but they will hold your piece where you put it, versus dragging your pants down and sagging out for all to see.

Tim - Southwestern Utah

theblacknight
10-02-2011, 06:15 PM
I've been carrying my MP9 fs in a MTAC since april 2008.Its my do every handgun. I have a certain set of shirts that I know keeps it hidden, and which ones do it better then others. I'm like 180. A 9c would disappear for me.

G60
10-03-2011, 04:44 PM
May I also suggest purchasing a m&p compact Blue Gun? They're $30-40 and I'm sure once you decide if you like the size of the compact or not you could sell it for not much of a loss.

That way you'd know for sure instead of trading away your full-size and maybe regretting it.

orionz06
10-04-2011, 06:54 AM
May I also suggest purchasing a m&p compact Blue Gun? They're $30-40 and I'm sure once you decide if you like the size of the compact or not you could sell it for not much of a loss.

That way you'd know for sure instead of trading away your full-size and maybe regretting it.

On that note I have a blue gun for compact that I would be willing to lend you if you pay shipping both ways and return it in a timely manner.