PDA

View Full Version : Suppressor Advice

Grey
10-14-2015, 11:37 AM
Hello folks, sorta new to the whole NFA process. Just got my SBR done recently and now I am looking for a can.

Only caveat is that it is a 7.75" 7.62x39 SBR (PWS Diablo).

Any advice on where to look since the barrel length might be an issue for some cans out there?

I was looking at the Gemtech ONE just due to the minimum barrel lengths they advertised but happy to entertain other options that you guys may have tried already.

THANK YOU!

voodoo_man
10-14-2015, 12:35 PM
I have a good friend who has one of those and runs a sandstorm. He is very happy with it and I am sure "the one" will work just as well.

Hansohn Brothers
10-14-2015, 04:16 PM
The GemTech One is a good can. Also consider the SilencerCo Sakers, Griffin RECCEs and the Dead Air Sandman line.

Do you have any other requirements such as length or weight considerations?

Grey
10-14-2015, 09:42 PM
Thanks for the responses.

No real requirements as this will be my first can. I don't want anything overly long or heavy but the primary consideration is that it's rated to the barrel length I will be running.

LittleLebowski
10-15-2015, 08:20 AM
I'd go Dead Air Sandman S or Saker for full Stellite construction for maximum toughness.

rob_s
10-15-2015, 09:24 AM
One question here is how often are you planning on shooting suppressed:non-suppressed? In percentages of # of rounds fired, 100:0? 50:50? 25:75?

That will determine how important materials and durability are for you. From there, you need to prioritize other criteria like length, weight, mounting system, and cost. It's hard to offer any advice without knowing how those things factor in for you. I don't see how you can exclude those criteria.

Absent that information, I'd think that if you bought a 7.75" upper then length and weight are important to you. I'd be looking for something in the <1 lbs and ~7" range, if not even shorter and lighter.

Grey
10-15-2015, 10:01 AM
One question here is how often are you planning on shooting suppressed:non-suppressed? In percentages of # of rounds fired, 100:0? 50:50? 25:75?

That will determine how important materials and durability are for you. From there, you need to prioritize other criteria like length, weight, mounting system, and cost. It's hard to offer any advice without knowing how those things factor in for you. I don't see how you can exclude those criteria.

Absent that information, I'd think that if you bought a 7.75" upper then length and weight are important to you. I'd be looking for something in the <1 lbs and ~7" range, if not even shorter and lighter.
Thanks for the thoughts!

I appreciate you all working through this as I don't really know where to start.

I imagine I would shoot this gun 100% suppressed as its quite the head turner with just a brake on there.

I haven't invested in any mounts yet but I would prefer a QD mount vs a direct thread.

Lighter and smaller are better for sure but I am willing to sacrifice in those areas if I get a more robust can.

Any more recommendations?

LittleLebowski
10-15-2015, 10:33 AM
Thanks for the thoughts!

I appreciate you all working through this as I don't really know where to start.

I imagine I would shoot this gun 100% suppressed as its quite the head turner with just a brake on there.

I haven't invested in any mounts yet but I would prefer a QD mount vs a direct thread.

Lighter and smaller are better for sure but I am willing to sacrifice in those areas if I get a more robust can.

I'd look at the Sig direct thread suppressors. The titanium ones would be a natural fit for a lightweight rifle. I am not sure on minimum barrel length for that suppressor.

http://hansohnbrothers.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=59_70&product_id=355

Hansohn Brothers
10-15-2015, 11:33 AM
I'm thinking the Dead Air will best meet your needs but I want to verify the minimum barrel length for the 7.62x39.

Grey
10-15-2015, 12:06 PM
I'm thinking the Dead Air will best meet your needs but I want to verify the minimum barrel length for the 7.62x39.
If you find the minimum barrel length that would be greatly appreciated!

rob_s
10-15-2015, 12:09 PM
Thanks for the thoughts!

I don't know if this kind of information would help you or not.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1GDsKKkewMeMuTHAmjl9KebQbS6T2iPKxQePPGyVJjAY/edit?usp=sharing

I'll give you my spiel about rifle cans....

They are dumb, heavy, expensive, dirty, affect function, and have essentially no place for the vast majority of AR owners.

That out of the way, I like having them. I want a new one. It is NOT a rational decision. Which, then, begs the question - why am I trying to use reason to evaluate which non-rational item I will buy? It comes down to money, frankly.

Given that it's a toy, and a waste of money, and a frivolous purchase, I want to spread all that nonsense over as much use as I can to take the sting off. that means I want a can that will work on a 5.56 AR, a 7.62x39 AK, a .308 bolt gun, a 6.x AR upper, an SBR, an SPR, and any combination thereof or in-between.

This means that I've come up with some criteria that any potential can must meet for me to even consider it...

.30 Caliber
~7" OAL
<16 oz. (<14 oz. even better)
~1.50" OD
<$1k retail with one mount
Availability of 5.56 hider mounts that work with the can
Availability of 5.56 brake mounts that work with the can
Availability of 7.62 brake mounts in 5/8x24
Availability of 7.62 hider mounts in 5/8x24
Availability of 7.62 hider mounts in 14x1 LH

That's my list. Yours may be different. But I think that when you're talking about the time investment in getting the can and the massive depreciation across the used can market, you should come up with a list.

Grey
10-15-2015, 12:10 PM

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1GDsKKkewMeMuTHAmjl9KebQbS6T2iPKxQePPGyVJjAY/edit?usp=sharing
OMG thank you! I can't wait to get home so I can view this on a screen other than my phone!!!

Hansohn Brothers
10-15-2015, 02:08 PM
Dead Air says the Sandman is good to go down to 7". Weighs 17ish ounces. 6.8" long and flash hider mounts are coming soon.

Grey
10-15-2015, 03:08 PM
Dead Air says the Sandman is good to go down to 7". Weighs 17ish ounces. 6.8" long and flash hider mounts are coming soon.
Thank you sir!

voodoo_man
10-15-2015, 05:48 PM
sort of want 762 dead air can....

punkey71
10-15-2015, 07:26 PM
When Hansohn Bros came out to my club a few weeks ago we shot a few cans on 5.56 SBRs.

Although the Sandman S metered a few DBs louder than my 5.56 Griffin M4SDII, it had a lower tone and sounder "better" to the naked ear.

I dont have anything .30 cal to suppress but I would STILL buy the Sandman S over anything else for a 5.56 if I was looking today.

Chris and I both thought the S even sounded better than the L.

Im trying to figure out a way to justify buying one.

ffhounddog
10-15-2015, 08:20 PM
If they only had some 556 flash hiders for that Sandman S.

Hansohn Brothers
10-15-2015, 08:40 PM
If they only had some 556 flash hiders for that Sandman S.

They are coming.

ffhounddog
10-15-2015, 09:05 PM
Sandman-s would be nice on a 7.5 5.56 upper.

Unobtanium
10-16-2015, 12:17 AM

I'll give you my spiel about rifle cans....

They are dumb, heavy, expensive, dirty, affect function, and have essentially no place for the vast majority of AR owners.

That out of the way, I like having them. I want a new one. It is NOT a rational decision. Which, then, begs the question - why am I trying to use reason to evaluate which non-rational item I will buy? It comes down to money, frankly.

Given that it's a toy, and a waste of money, and a frivolous purchase, I want to spread all that nonsense over as much use as I can to take the sting off. that means I want a can that will work on a 5.56 AR, a 7.62x39 AK, a .308 bolt gun, a 6.x AR upper, an SBR, an SPR, and any combination thereof or in-between.

This means that I've come up with some criteria that any potential can must meet for me to even consider it...

.30 Caliber
~7" OAL
<16 oz. (<14 oz. even better)
~1.50" OD
<$1k retail with one mount
Availability of 5.56 hider mounts that work with the can
Availability of 5.56 brake mounts that work with the can
Availability of 7.62 brake mounts in 5/8x24
Availability of 7.62 hider mounts in 5/8x24
Availability of 7.62 hider mounts in 14x1 LH

That's my list. Yours may be different. But I think that when you're talking about the time investment in getting the can and the massive depreciation across the used can market, you should come up with a list.

They may be dumb.
They may be heavy.
They may be dirty.
They may affect function.

But they will also go a LONG way toward keeping you from suffering unbearable tinnitus and other, more sinister effects of hearing loss, should you actually USE your firearm. Friend of mine shot a guy the other week, and when I asked how he was "My hearing's all jacked up" was his answer. You don't appreciate it until it happens.

Another friend of mine takes down meth labs for a living. He wants a suppressor for entirely other reasons, as well as hearing-loss/nerve damage potential.

Still others look at it from a liability standpoint...what happens if an officer in a school lets of 5-6 rounds near some student's heads? hearing-loss, vertigo, tinnitus, many other nasty things. In some places, the PD would be responsible for those medical bills...

rob_s
10-16-2015, 03:58 AM
They may be dumb.
They may be heavy.
They may be dirty.
They may affect function.

But they will also go a LONG way toward keeping you from suffering unbearable tinnitus and other, more sinister effects of hearing loss, should you actually USE your firearm. Friend of mine shot a guy the other week, and when I asked how he was "My hearing's all jacked up" was his answer. You don't appreciate it until it happens.

Another friend of mine takes down meth labs for a living. He wants a suppressor for entirely other reasons, as well as hearing-loss/nerve damage potential.

Still others look at it from a liability standpoint...what happens if an officer in a school lets of 5-6 rounds near some student's heads? hearing-loss, vertigo, tinnitus, many other nasty things. In some places, the PD would be responsible for those medical bills...

Blah blah SHTFantasy blah

1slow
10-16-2015, 06:27 AM
Blah blah SHTFantasy blah

Depends on your situation and tasking.
Having tinnitus 24/7 I can appreciate part of this. Also being able to hear for the rest of the situation after the first shot would be handy.

rob_s
10-16-2015, 07:17 AM
Depends on your situation and tasking.
Having tinnitus 24/7 I can appreciate part of this. Also being able to hear for the rest of the situation after the first shot would be handy.

Of course it does.

Which is ALWAYS the response to my take on cans. "well, I have this special snowflake condition/situation/issue that means I *need* a silencer!"

There's nothing wrong with just owning that fact that it's farcical nonsense. Guns are allowed to be fun and silly.

LittleLebowski
10-16-2015, 07:21 AM
Of course it does.

Which is ALWAYS the response to my take on cans. "well, I have this special snowflake condition/situation/issue that means I *need* a silencer!"

There's nothing wrong with just owning that fact that it's farcical nonsense. Guns are allowed to be fun and silly.

I think that you are mainly right (but there are a few practical applications for cans such as varmint control and hunting) That being said, there's not a thing about Unobtanium's statement regarding officers who use carbines for a living as being contrived reasons to have a can while on duty. Cans just make sense for LEOs in my opinion if one discounts the predictable hysterical outcry from certain parts of our society.

rob_s
10-16-2015, 07:34 AM
I think that you are mainly right (but there are a few practical applications for cans such as varmint control and hunting) That being said, there's not a thing about Unobtanium's statement regarding officers who use carbines for a living as being contrived reasons to have a can while on duty. Cans just make sense for LEOs in my opinion if one discounts the predictable hysterical outcry from certain parts of our society.

I don't disagree.

But for the average-joe gucci-gun can-buyer, they're a toy at best, which is where my list of criteria comes in.

If someone else has themselves convinced that they *need* a can to repel the mongol hordes, have at it.

LittleLebowski
10-16-2015, 07:48 AM
I won't hunt again without a suppressor if I can help it. I'm taking the plunge and taking Uncle Pat's carbine class with a suppressed carbine and I know it will add weight and filth to the carbine. However, why not? It adds data to my personal knowledge and might as well see if it works in a carbine class. Shooting stuff is fun, shooting suppressed is still cool for me, and others might enjoy reading about it. I harbor no illusions about me ever using a suppressed carbine in a SHTF situation but it's nice to know if mine will run suppressed.

rob_s
10-16-2015, 08:04 AM
I won't hunt again without a suppressor if I can help it. I'm taking the plunge and taking Uncle Pat's carbine class with a suppressed carbine and I know it will add weight and filth to the carbine. However, why not? It adds data to my personal knowledge and might as well see if it works in a carbine class. Shooting stuff is fun, shooting suppressed is still cool for me, and others might enjoy reading about it. I harbor no illusions about me ever using a suppressed carbine in a SHTF situation but it's nice to know if mine will run suppressed.

I took Pat's class with a 300 BO upper Silvers sent me with a bunch of free ammo (subsonic and super) and a free can. It's not a bad way to see what you think of suppressed shooting (it, ironically, led to me considering the 300 BO as the "300 wTF"). I think I ran the class about 50/50 suppressed and non, if memory servers (this was Dec 2010). Obviously, when you're doing the line-dancing the only thing you're really learning is how the gun handles/feels with the added weight and whether or not it runs, since the noise attenuation isn't useful on a line of 10 other hosers.

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q111/rob_s/EAG%202010/11214403691871.jpg

Mod Navy Qual vid. I think I was high shooter here, can't recall for sure
http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q111/rob_s/EAG%202010/th_IMG_0916.mp4 (http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q111/rob_s/EAG%202010/IMG_0916.mp4)

http://vid134.photobucket.com/albums/q111/rob_s/EAG%202010/IMG_0916.mp4

joshs
10-16-2015, 08:32 AM
I don't disagree.

But for the average-joe gucci-gun can-buyer, they're a toy at best, which is where my list of criteria comes in.

If someone else has themselves convinced that they *need* a can to repel the mongol hordes, have at it.

I have a ton of hearing loss from hunting. Suppressors probably would have prevented that. There is also pretty good evidence that wearing only one type of ear pro is not sufficient protection for center fire rifles. The only reason suppressors are viewed as you mention is their inclusion in the NFA. They are way more common (relatively speaking) in a number of European countries where they are regulated the same as most firearms.

rob_s
10-16-2015, 08:42 AM
I have a ton of hearing loss from hunting. Suppressors probably would have prevented that. There is also pretty good evidence that wearing only one type of ear pro is not sufficient protection for center fire rifles. The only reason suppressors are viewed as you mention is their inclusion in the NFA. They are way more common (relatively speaking) in a number of European countries where they are regulated the same as most firearms.

This is also true. There is definitely a factor of juice:squeeze that would be a lot different if there weren't legal restrictions on them. Among other things, I'd wager that the prices of the items themselves would be way lower.

But, again, this isn't what we're talking about. what we're talking about is a guy adding a can to his 7.62x39, <8" barreled, piston AR. I may well be out of line, but I think he falls much more into the "gucci" realm with me than the "I'm going to hunt so much, so often, for so many years that my hearing is going to be damaged" camp.

Grey
10-16-2015, 12:27 PM
This is also true. There is definitely a factor of juice:squeeze that would be a lot different if there weren't legal restrictions on them. Among other things, I'd wager that the prices of the items themselves would be way lower.

But, again, this isn't what we're talking about. what we're talking about is a guy adding a can to his 7.62x39, <8" barreled, piston AR. I may well be out of line, but I think he falls much more into the "gucci" realm with me than the "I'm going to hunt so much, so often, for so many years that my hearing is going to be damaged" camp.
Rationale is that the gun is a fun toy and I value my hearing since it's loud as hell with a brake. If that makes me Gucci then that's what I am.

Unobtanium
10-17-2015, 03:17 AM
Of course it does.

I bet my friends wish it was nonsense. You ever suffer acoustic trauma?

The perp is dead. But one of my buddies is still hurting. Kinda sucks...

rob_s
10-17-2015, 09:55 AM
Rationale is that the gun is a fun toy and I value my hearing since it's loud as hell with a brake. If that makes me Gucci then that's what I am.

I don't think there's anything wrong with Gucci. In fact, if more people just admitted it the gun world would be a better place. Instead we have a whole bunch of people pretending they "need " a whole bunch of nonsense.

I'm Gucci as fuck.

LittleLebowski
10-17-2015, 11:26 AM
I don't think there's anything wrong with Gucci. In fact, if more people just admitted it the gun world would be a better place. Instead we have a whole bunch of people pretending they "need " a whole bunch of nonsense.

I'm Gucci as fuck.

There's also nothing wrong with letting people realize that on their own as well.