PDA

View Full Version : Boring Topic - Glock 26

SamAdams
10-14-2015, 10:22 AM
I know it's been around for awhile. I've been considering getting a Glock 26. Application would be as a back-up to my primary ccw G19. (Ive been carrying a J frame for this purpose, but shoot a semi-auto much better.) I no longer have to wear a suit & tie every day. Most of the time I'm in Duluth cargo pants or shorts, & go casual. The G26 would also be carried as a primary those few times where I need something more discrete than the G19. I shot a buddy's G26 and like it. I also threw it in my cargo pants pocket and walked around with it for awhile and it seemed 'possibly doable' for me. Though a holster may be best. ( BTW - I have XL hands and find the new G43 single stack feels too small for me. Never shot one, though.)

Other forums/videos out there often have some guy who shot a box of white box through their G26, loaded it up with HPs and now declares it "the bestest gun ever !" So, I thought I'd ask here about this common and maybe now 'boring' gun to the folks on PF. After carrying one for awhile, what have you learned about your G26 ? What works & doesn't work for you ? What carry methods do you like, or don't like ? How do you feel about shooting it now? Anything else you might add after carrying your G26 for a few years ?

Thanks

JHC
10-14-2015, 10:52 AM
I carry a Gen 4 G26 often. I think it's the best balance of a subcompact for carry and shootability I've tried out. I shoot the under 15 yard drills and tests about as well with a G26 as I can with a G19. The difference is thin. In this Triple Nickel run if I had not momentarily mistaken my failing to reset on the 2nd shot on the fourth target as running empty and inducing that hitch I think I would have broke 5 sec. The reload when I got to it is generally how my reloads go with the short G26. I shoot FAST with a G26 very close - within a few tenths of a second of how I shoot one with a 19 or 17. https://www.flickr.com/photos/78036189@N07/18342939035/in/dateposted-public/

With good holsters and appropriate cover garments it's true a 19 carries about as concealable but I don't tailor my dress every day to suit a 19 and the G26's shorter grip simply conceals better in some circumstances. I carry it AIWB or IWB. Depends.

If I could only have one Glock I think it would probably be a 26. Because if there is only to be one, it has to be smaller.

rjohnson4405
10-14-2015, 11:00 AM
I did not like it in a cargo pocket. Anything brisk walk or faster becomes uncomfortable if not painful. Plus, I'm tall so if I put my feet up on anything (sometimes a necessity in smaller places) if the cargo pocket isn't shut with a button or velcro it felt like it was going to fall out. Maybe a better holster would help with this, maybe not.

I found it maybe a little more concealable than a 19 but there just wasn't a niche for it to fill. Either I could fit a 19 and therefore a 26 or my LCR worked better.

Any other places you were considering carrying the back up than in a cargo pocket? The one place a 26 does work better than a 19 is in a coat with big pockets if you go down that route, but I"m moving someplace warm so that doesn't really apply to me anymore.

They are very shoot-able, I just couldn't justify another gun when I was in your position. YMMV

Cookie Monster
10-14-2015, 11:08 AM
It's my EDC gun. Pocket carry works good for me, front pocket, not cargo. In boots ankle carry works but most of the time it is too much of a brick for me to be comfortable.

If you want to carry two guns, not an unreasonable choice.

Clusterfrack
10-14-2015, 11:36 AM
AIWB I carry a G19, but for the times I strong side carry the G26 conceals better because of the shorter grip. I wouldn't pocket carry a 26. It's too big and heavy.

Glenn E. Meyer
10-14-2015, 12:06 PM
As a civilian, the 26 has become my most popular carry gun. The short grip makes it very concealable for my old body in an OWB with a floppy shirt. I do carrry a 19 but have been moving towards the 26 more and more. Pocket carry didn't work for reasons mentioned above, it's just a touch too big as compared to a J frame or Glock 42.

As far as it's usage. I've used it in an Insights class and shoot it in IDPA (horrors) every once in awhile. For my level, it is quite acceptable and I can't tell a real difference between it and the 19. I don't millisecond time myself but whether I think I can get through the stage reasonably and I seem to. I do shoot my G17 better but it's not an EDC.

So with the 26 and an extra mag, I feel reasonably set up to go around town.

Chuck Haggard
10-14-2015, 12:07 PM
A G26 was for me a niche gun, mine was mainly an ankle gun to BUG my duty G17. I've sometimes used mine for a fanny pack gun when I wanted to cut as much weight as possible vs my other alternatives but didn't want to use the 642 as a primary.

Overall they are decent little guns, I have seen very few issues with them, and they are easy to shoot well.

JHC
10-14-2015, 12:10 PM
I have found valid, the G26 caution that I may have heard from DocGKR first; is that carried AIWB it may; depending on the holster, be less comfortable than a longer pistol. I wasn't so sure of that the first time I heard that but I'd have to say that can be the case. Which is one reason why so many use a G19 holster or something for their 26. Using the VG2 for the 26, yeah sometimes that hotspot forms whereas that's less likely with the longer gun.

SamAdams
10-14-2015, 12:23 PM
Thanks guys for all your helpful comments.
I carry the 19 at around 2:30. I was thinking the 26 might be best IWB behind the hip, support hand side to balance the weight.
I do carry the J frame in the front pocket of the cargo pants now. As I mentioned earlier, I tried that with my friends 26 - but it was only for about 5 minutes, walking around. And I wasnt carrying anything else when I did that.

Chuck Haggard: "Overall they are decent little guns, I have seen very few issues with them, and they are easy to shoot well."

BobLoblaw
10-14-2015, 02:41 PM
I love mine. Being a full-figured man, I end up wearing it more and more for better concealment. The 19/26 performance gap is noticeably smaller than the 26/43 IMO. Then again, I don't push left as much with the 26 compared to the 19 so YMMV.

JHC
10-14-2015, 03:00 PM
Another G26 thought. I tried out a minus connector in this Gen 4 G26 but did not like it as well as the stock dot connector so I returned it to factory stock condition.

Mine impacted way high at 25 yards so my preferred HD set didn't work and this was before I knew Optics Planet stocked tall fronts. At that time I spoke to Trijicon and they said with their back log it would be about $100 and six months wait so I instead went to a set of 10-8 tritium with the .245 tall front and all is well. I've never gotten around to switching it.

I've tried the Large grip panel on it a couple times and liked the feel shooting the incremental shift of my hand higher got me chewed up pretty well. I accept some slide bite from Glocks but this got a little excessive. So I just keep it as small as possible with no added grip piece.

Nephrology
10-14-2015, 03:17 PM
I will parrot everyone else's thoughts more or less. The G26 is probably my primary carry pistol at this point. I shoot it very well - much better than I expected to when I first bought it - and I do find that it conceals better and carries more comfortably than a G19 on my frame (5'10 170lb). I especially like it with OEM +2 baseplates as it makes the gun an M&P9c sized glock with comparable capacity by just changing mags. Also, for what its worth, I find my 25+ yard shooting ability with the G26 is at least on par, if not maybe better, than my ability with the 17 - my match gun for Production and SSP in USPSA and IDPA respectively.

Also agree that I wouldn't pocket carry it. I think it would be far too big unless you had some truly huge front pants pockets. Even my carhartts wouldn't comfortably conceal a 26.

GJM
10-14-2015, 04:09 PM
For your use, have you considered a 43? Less capacity, no sharing of magazines with a 19, but much smaller.

okie john
10-14-2015, 04:27 PM
Like most people, I shoot the G26 about as well as I shoot a G19 or G17, but my reloads are slower. At least for me, that's also true of the G43. A lot of folks find the G26 only slightly easier to conceal than a G19, and thus far it seems that most people find the G43 easier to conceal than the G26.

For your uses, the G26 sounds about right, plus it will fit any holster for a G17 or G19 and use mags for either.

Which is nice.

Okie John

SamAdams
10-14-2015, 05:17 PM
For your use, have you considered a 43? Less capacity, no sharing of magazines with a 19, but much smaller.

Thanks. The G43 feels too small in my XL sized hands (though I havent shot one). It didnt feel like I could get a good solid grip on it. I liked the G26 that I was able to shoot. No problem with pinky finger hanging down either (which surprised me).

I shoulda been more clear - pocket carry isn't an absolute necessity for this gun. But if the 26 doesnt work, may later try a 43.

pew_pew
10-14-2015, 05:21 PM
Not the biggest fan. Because I'd only shoot it with the pinky extension mags. Then it's basically 19 size but with a shorter barrel and sight radius

Glenn E. Meyer
10-14-2015, 05:25 PM
I have but don't like the extension. It negates my purpose for the 26 . I learn to shoot small guns that I carry for convenience like the 26, 42 or a J frame. If I want to carry a 19, I will.

pew_pew
10-14-2015, 05:26 PM
Another G26 thought. I tried out a minus connector in this Gen 4 G26 but did not like it as well as the stock dot connector so I returned it to factory stock condition.

Mine impacted way high at 25 yards so my preferred HD set didn't work and this was before I knew Optics Planet stocked tall fronts. At that time I spoke to Trijicon and they said with their back log it would be about $100 and six months wait so I instead went to a set of 10-8 tritium with the .245 tall front and all is well. I've never gotten around to switching it.

I've tried the Large grip panel on it a couple times and liked the feel shooting the incremental shift of my hand higher got me chewed up pretty well. I accept some slide bite from Glocks but this got a little excessive. So I just keep it as small as possible with no added grip piece.

Fun tip. If you go to a standard connector and a 5lb firing pin spring, you'll get a crisper, more predictable trigger, but still be about the same trigger pull weight.

JHC
10-14-2015, 06:33 PM
Thanks. The G43 feels too small in my XL sized hands (though I havent shot one). It didnt feel like I could get a good solid grip on it. I liked the G26 that I was able to shoot. No problem with pinky finger hanging down either (which surprised me).

I shoulda been more clear - pocket carry isn't an absolute necessity for this gun. But if the 26 doesnt work, may later try a 43.

You mentioned something that I think is key for maximizing your 26. Forget about the pinkie! Curl it under and forget it. Just a WAG but I think taking that weak little digit out of the picture may be part of the reason some folks shoot it better than full grip guns.

SamAdams
10-14-2015, 06:43 PM
You mentioned something that I think is key for maximizing your 26. Forget about the pinkie! Curl it under and forget it. Just a WAG but I think taking that weak little digit out of the picture may be part of the reason some folks shoot it better than full grip guns.

That's an interesting idea JHC. I did curl my finger under the 26 when I shot it. Ive read accounts of other guys being surprised at shooting their 26 better than their larger 9mm Glocks. Some thought the 26 may be more accurate. I dunno - not enough personal experience with them. Theories included maybe a stiffer short barrel or something having to do with the dual recoil spring and longer lock up (vs larger Gen 3 guns). But I didnt come across anything that nailed down an explanation.

Clusterfrack
10-14-2015, 06:50 PM
I've heard this claim as well, but it doesn't work out that way for me. Even though a G19 feels by far the best in my hand, scores on a range of drills show that (for me):

G34 > G17 > G19 > G26

My theory about the mystical accuracy of the G26 is that the short grip reduces the effect of sympathetic squeezing of the lower fingers during trigger press.

JBP55
10-14-2015, 07:56 PM
Like the above post the longer sight radius works better for me on Glocks.

Nephrology
10-14-2015, 07:57 PM
Like the above post the longer sight radius works better for me on Glocks.

I don't shoot better with the G26 at speed, but on an untimed flat range with a B-8 at 25yd I usually do much better than my G19.

LSP552
10-14-2015, 08:45 PM
The 26 is the Glock I just can't keep. I buy them then end up selling them because they seem to be neither fish not fowl for me. The width and bulk really don't make them much easier to conceal than a 19, at least for me. For something smaller than a 19, I like the 43 because it's enough smaller to make a difference. Every time I buy a 26, it ends up as a fanny pack gun and nothing else.

SamAdams
10-14-2015, 09:24 PM
Well, this reminds me of one additional advantage of Glocks - theyre very modestly priced. I've never been able to really tell how a gun works for me till I've lived with it for awhile. I may later end up with a 43 after some time with the 26. You probably won't take too much of a beating if selling a used one.

JHC
10-15-2015, 06:00 AM
I've heard this claim as well, but it doesn't work out that way for me. Even though a G19 feels by far the best in my hand, scores on a range of drills show that (for me):

G34 > G17 > G19 > G26

My theory about the mystical accuracy of the G26 is that the short grip reduces the effect of sympathetic squeezing of the lower fingers during trigger press.

I think that could be a bigger factor than the RSA or lock up. I think one of the friends of many PF members who is a senior Glock guy and I've found to be a real straight shooter guy has intimated that in a govt agencies tests with a mechanical rest the 26 shot the tightest groups; albeit I'm pretty sure that dated to pre Gen 4 era for the full size models.

But back to your sympathetic squeeze error - I think that's probably the biggest factor and why I've had days when I outshot a larger gun with a 26 out at 25 yds where the errors are magnified, but not consistently. You would not see this effect in your experience above if you are very consistent and have trained that error out of the picture. Just spit ballin'.

JHC
10-15-2015, 06:06 AM
The 26 is the Glock I just can't keep. I buy them then end up selling them because they seem to be neither fish not fowl for me. The width and bulk really don't make them much easier to conceal than a 19, at least for me. For something smaller than a 19, I like the 43 because it's enough smaller to make a difference. Every time I buy a 26, it ends up as a fanny pack gun and nothing else.

I see what you mean. The first time I looked at one I was still in my committed BHP era and I was like "Waaaaaat? You have to be kidding me."

Some time later after an event that convinced me no more primary carry of a 5 shot revolver I got a G27 and shot that pretty hard for awhile. After 200 rounds on the range I would have tremors like I used to get after heavy bag workouts. Eventually for family shooters and setting up a battery for younger shooters I standardized on Glock 9mms and the G27 was flipped for a used 19.

I figure by the end of the year I'll try out a G43.

jslaughter
10-15-2015, 06:45 AM
I think the 26 is a tie with the G19. I sold my G26 a while back. I like the gun though. However I'm looking to buy one again as a EDC with a red dot. The short slide will cycle faster keeping the dot on target, the sight radius will be a non issue.
The key to fast reloads with a G26 is using G17 mags as reloads. Plus it prevent palm pinch.

psalms144.1
10-15-2015, 09:27 AM
I carry a Gen4 G26 every day in a Galco Ankle Glove as BUG to my primary G19. Off duty around the house, the G26 is in a FIST #1K IWB holster (when I'm in shorts) or in the Ankle Glove if I'm wearing long pants. Frankly, I don't notice the G26 at all. In the summer months, when clothing is minimal, I'll occasionally go out-and-about with the G26 as primary, though I prefer the G19 in that role. I don't carry any serious equipment in the cargo pockets of my shorts - as others pointed out, any movement beyond a casual stroll becomes uncomfortable at best, and the unpredictability of the pistols location and orientation would be a big issue in a "need it now!" draw.

On timed drills at moderate ranges (15 yards and in), performance differences between the G26 and G19 (reloads excepted) are almost exactly the same - both in accuracy and speed. On my agency's qualification course, scores are typically tied between the G26 and G19.

I also own a G43, and, frankly, am not impressed. Yes, it's a very small GLOCK, but that's about it. Trigger pull is much heavier than standard, and the grip is so slim that I REALLY struggle to hold onto it in rapid fire. But, if you HAVE TO carry in your front pocket (or any other pocket, for that matter) the G43 is easier to live with than the G26.

Glenn E. Meyer
10-15-2015, 09:30 AM
I had a 27 and didn't like it. It was unpleasant for a supposed small increase in 'stopping' power. My 1911 is a sweet heart compared to that gun.

MGW
10-15-2015, 10:23 AM
It's hard to go wrong with a 26. I've occasionally carried one in the pocket of my cargo shorts on evening walks. A Mika pocket holster works really well for this. Not every pair of cargo shorts I own works for the 26 but on really hot and humid evenings it's a nice option.

I don't know if I have a favorite Glock but the 26 is probably the handiest Glock I own.

SamAdams
10-15-2015, 11:12 AM
All my Glocks are Gen3. The one big reason for that is I got a bad skin rash from N frame revolver cocobola grips. (Never had that problem previously with that type of wood, or any other. Had to get rid of some nice wood grips.) Took a week till I could carry a gun in a belt holster again. Now, anything overly rough against the skin causes irritation by the end of the day. Wearing an extra t-shirt underneath is too warm for me. - I find the grip on the Gen3 G19 & G26 fit my hand well. No need for other backstraps. No skin irritation. I'm afraid the texturing on the Gen4 might cause me problems. I thought that if I find that I need additional hand purchase on the G26, I could try some rubber Talons. But, I havent needed them on my longer grip 19s or 17.

Is a Gen3 G26 fine ? Anything I should know in terms of Austrian or USA manufacture - or anything else when it comes to buying a G26 ? I haven't seen anything written on this model that may be a concern, but maybe I missed something ? Thanks again

ST911
10-15-2015, 11:34 AM
The short grip (sans finger rest) is less hand on the gun to heel it. There is also a psych factor at work, shooters know that they typically have to try a little harder with a smaller gun. My gen4 G26 has some of the best 25yd bull groups of my gen4 9s. On the downside, there's less hand to control the gun in successive shots, to positively grip it at the holster, and less grip for the mag to find during a reload. Still, it's much more gun than its diminuitive size implies, and it's a more runable gun than the G43 it is most recently compared with.

Many find that if they put a finger rest or extended mag on a 26, they may as well carry a G19. However, you can make the G26 bigger but you can't make a 19 smaller, so if you want one gun and maximum potential concealment the 26 may be the better choice.

pew_pew
10-15-2015, 01:07 PM
The short grip (sans finger rest) is less hand on the gun to heel it. There is also a psych factor at work, shooters know that they typically have to try a little harder with a smaller gun. My gen4 G26 has some of the best 25yd bull groups of my gen4 9s. On the downside, there's less hand to control the gun in successive shots, to positively grip it at the holster, and less grip for the mag to find during a reload. Still, it's much more gun than its diminuitive size implies, and it's a more runable gun than the G43 it is most recently compared with.

Many find that if they put a finger rest or extended mag on a 26, they may as well carry a G19. However, you can make the G26 bigger but you can't make a 19 smaller, so if you want one gun and maximum potential concealment the 26 may be the better choice.

That was my thinking, and I even posted it in this thread. But then I start looking at different grip extensions. A Pearce +0 is considerable smaller than a glock 19. Even the Pearce +3 is smaller so think. Then you kind of get the bobtail frame affect. So I want a 26 now.

Kyle Reese
10-15-2015, 01:13 PM
All my Glocks are Gen3. The one big reason for that is I got a bad skin rash from N frame revolver cocobola grips. (Never had that problem previously with that type of wood, or any other. Had to get rid of some nice wood grips.) Took a week till I could carry a gun in a belt holster again. Now, anything overly rough against the skin causes irritation by the end of the day. Wearing an extra t-shirt underneath is too warm for me. - I find the grip on the Gen3 G19 & G26 fit my hand well. No need for other backstraps. No skin irritation. I'm afraid the texturing on the Gen4 might cause me problems. I thought that if I find that I need additional hand purchase on the G26, I could try some rubber Talons. But, I havent needed them on my longer grip 19s or 17.

Is a Gen3 G26 fine ? Anything I should know in terms of Austrian or USA manufacture - or anything else when it comes to buying a G26 ? I haven't seen anything written on this model that may be a concern, but maybe I missed something ? Thanks again

Gen 3 or 4 is fine. I have a USA made Gen 4 17 that's just as "good" as its Austrian counterpart. I just preferred the Gen 4 26 because I got a third mag in the box. :)

Shawn Dodson
10-15-2015, 01:33 PM
I carry a G26 in a Galco Avenger OWB holster @ 3 o'clock, concealed by a heavy (usually Carhartt) untucked t-shirt or an untucked (unbuttoned) button-up shirt. This setup has worked very well for me over the past two years, especially on hot summer days here in Seattle. (I normally carry a G19 in a Milt Sparks Executive's Companion IWB holster at about 4:30.)

I found the Galco Avenger holster in my local Sportman's Warehouse for about $45, shortly after I ordered it online somewhere for almost twice as much (which I promptly returned after it was delivered).

pew_pew
10-15-2015, 01:50 PM
Any of you guys with 26's get pinching with mag extensions? Seems to be a pretty common complaint.

BigT
10-15-2015, 01:55 PM
Any of you guys with 26's get pinching with mag extensions? Seems to be a pretty common complaint.

Some with the Pearce +3. Never that I've noticed with the newer style OEM +2

Clusterfrack
10-15-2015, 02:01 PM
Yes, they pinch the fuck out of my finger.

JHC
10-15-2015, 02:14 PM

I had a Gen 3 for a few years, parted with it. Now have a Gen 4. Very little difference. I like the Gen 4 mag release. In general Gen 3 triggers turn out a little better. Gen 3 is where the 26 made its bones so there should not be any special issue.

I am digging this thread because this "baby Glock" is one of these weird modern classics; or maybe postmodern classics. When it arrived on the scene there was nothing like it; or that seems like the effect it had on the market at the time.

This is the craziest shooting I've done with one. This was one take and I dang sure wasn't trying to repeat it THAT day. https://www.flickr.com/photos/78036189@N07/14541655816/in/dateposted-public/

Sasage
10-15-2015, 07:09 PM

Yes, I went to the hardware store and bought an o ring and slid it on the mag....then I just rocked a 19 mag and said screw it.

Clusterfrack
10-15-2015, 07:23 PM
This is the craziest shooting I've done with one. This was one take and I dang sure wasn't trying to repeat it THAT day. https://www.flickr.com/photos/78036189@N07/14541655816/in/dateposted-public/

That is an awesome group with a G26--especially while shooting with no pants :D

JBP55
10-15-2015, 07:40 PM

Yes it is!

JHC
10-16-2015, 06:43 AM

THAT was the key!

BN
10-16-2015, 07:06 AM

Yes. #*&^%$$^ :( The factory +2's are OK but the Pierce bite me bad every time the slide cycles. I have filed on mine, but they still do it. I always reload with a 19 or 17 mag.

SAWBONES
10-16-2015, 07:41 AM
The GAP baseplate (https://concealablecontrol.com) on a standard 10-round magazine offers a ledge that definitely aids grip, but there's no possibility of pinching the little finger at all.

pew_pew
10-16-2015, 11:56 AM
I love TTI base pads. I have them on my 34. I saw a guy on YouTube who put TTI base pads on his 26. Have him a place for his pinky and gave him more rounds. I might do this. Kind of looks like a stock Glock 30 when you do this.

BigT
10-16-2015, 12:36 PM
I love TTI base pads. I have them on my 34. I saw a guy on YouTube who put TTI base pads on his 26. Have him a place for his pinky and gave him more rounds. I might do this. Kind of looks like a stock Glock 30 when you do this.

I tried it. Gave me 13 rounds ,14 with a push.

Nice and low profile but the 2 and a half finger grip had me struggling with consistency.

CarlK
10-16-2015, 09:03 PM
Like someone posted earlier, when the G26 came out (1995 ish?) there was nothing else like it. I was about six years into my LE career and of course bought one. I have since sold the G26, went to a G27 for more horsepower, didn't like the smack of the recoil, and ended up carrying a Walther PPS 9mm off duty. I REALLY liked the PPS as it was accurate and easy to pack around. Fast forward to quarterly In Service training back in August. 10 hours of Active Shooter drills where my issued HK P30L was downloaded to eight rounds of Simunitions. This was intense force-on-force training against SWAT guys armed with pistols and rifles. I wasn't spraying and praying at all but still went to slide lock a couple of times. That reality check forced me to reevaluate my off-duty carry and I traded the eight round PPS for a G26 Gen4. My standard carry now is the G26 with the OEM +2 (which actually holds 3 extra rounds) and a G19 mag for a reload. I am very satisfied with the new setup and the fact that I won't have to contend with an emergency reload as soon as I would with the PPS.

psalms144.1
10-16-2015, 09:40 PM
10 hours of Active Shooter drills where my issued HK P30L was downloaded to eight rounds of Simunitions. This was intense force-on-force training against SWAT guys armed with pistols and rifles. I wasn't spraying and praying at all but still went to slide lock a couple of times. That reality check forced me to reevaluate my off-duty carry and I traded the eight round PPS for a G26 Gen4. My standard carry now is the G26 with the OEM +2 (which actually holds 3 extra rounds) and a G19 mag for a reload. I am very satisfied with the new setup and the fact that I won't have to contend with an emergency reload as soon as I would with the PPS.I have two good friends who were involved in the Navy Yard response, both of whom due to a variety of bad timing issues ended up in the building hunting the shooter with "backup" pistols and no spare magazines. To this day, when one guy talks about having to thumb rounds out of someone else's magazine to reload the magazine in his pistol, there's a sick look on his face, and he swears he'll never carry a single-stack pistol again.

Beat Trash
10-17-2015, 12:28 PM
I bought a Glock 26 shortly after they were introduced. I sold it off about a year ago as it collected dust in the safe.

I've been thinking about them lately, (this thread isn't helping much), so I stopped by a local store to handle a gen4 Glock 26. I use the large beaver tail back strap on my Gen4 Glock 19's. Tried the same back strap on the G26 and I didn't like it at all. But the salesman suggested I try the large back strap without the beaver tail. It felt like, "Glock Perfection"!

I either need to stop reading threads like this, or take a road trip to my favorite blue label Glock dealer...

LSP552
10-17-2015, 12:51 PM
I have two good friends who were involved in the Navy Yard response, both of whom due to a variety of bad timing issues ended up in the building hunting the shooter with "backup" pistols and no spare magazines. To this day, when one guy talks about having to thumb rounds out of someone else's magazine to reload the magazine in his pistol, there's a sick look on his face, and he swears he'll never carry a single-stack pistol again.

Understand completely about timing and/or poor planning. I once started a paperwork day in the office catching up on U/C reports, carrying only a tucked model 38 Bodyguard and a couple of speed strips. Naturally my real guns were in my unit. I rode with someone else to lunch and ended up holding part of a perimeter around a sugar cane field with a hunting rife armed murder cornered inside. Ever since, I've kept a serious gun and spare mags in a gun bag that is easily transferred if I'm riding with someone and not carrying heavy artillery.

I do have to say, as a retired old guy, I'm fine with a single stack as long as I have at least one, and preferably two, mags. I shoot a P239 SO much better than a G26, that I would never choose one as a primary carry. For a working officer with a 17/19, the 26 makes the perfect backup if you can ankle or vest cary the weight. I never could, but that's such a personal thing and I know a ton of folks who do.

Glad your friends made out OK!

serialsolver
10-17-2015, 12:55 PM
I'm gonna get me a 9mm conversion barrel for my 27. Then if I don't feel comfortable about its reliability I'll get a 26. That's gonna be my path to the glock 26.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HopetonBrown
10-17-2015, 01:24 PM
Like most people, I shoot the G26 about as well as I shoot a G19 or G17

I guess I'm not most people.

KPD
10-17-2015, 07:09 PM
I have spent the last 3-4 weeks going back and forth between considering the Glock 43 and a Glock 26.
I have pawed every sample of each at every gun shop that was on display that I went to. I went to a gun show today and fingered around on every one that was there and then went to another gun shop today.......twice. Yes, I have been that guy for the first time in my life.
Anyway, I picked a 26. I had a Gen 4 26 two years ago but sold it and while I was going through my boxes of gun crap this week I found I still had holsters and magazines for a 26. This coupled with the overall feel was better for me pushed me to the 26. Blue label pricing and getting 3 mags with the 26 was nice as well.

All things considered I think the 43 is a nice blaster if you just have to have a really thin single stack gun that is easier on pocket carry. If pocket carry is not going to be a primary method of carry then I think the 26 is a better choice of the two.

I almost went with a 19 but as others have pointed out. I can make the grip on a 26 larger but I am pretty well stuck with the length of a 19 unless I get to cutting on it. I don't like modifying my carry guns beyond changing the sights or stocks on a revolver. I guess I am weird.

JR1572
10-17-2015, 10:04 PM
I have at least one of each G4 9mm Glock.

While working I carry a 17 and 26 as a BUG.

While in uniform I have the 17, a 26, and a 42 or 43.

JR1572

JR1572
10-18-2015, 01:07 AM
Yeah, I left some stuff out of the above post:

Back in the mid/late 90's, I carried a 27 as a BUG and off duty. I shot the 27 much more than my issued 22 because if you could pass yearly quals with the little gun, you could pass the qualification with the full sized gun. I spent a bunch of time behind the 27. I still have that little one.

Anyway, I carry my 26 in an Alessi ankle holster or in a RCS Vanguard 2. Sometimes I carry the 42/43 by themselves, but I rather have the 26 because I have a whole bunch more spare magazines that fit it than the 42/43.

I carry the 26 without magazine extensions. It fits my little hands just fine and I shoot it rather well.

I think that's it. I've been up for a while so if I forgot anything I'll address it in the morning...

JR1572

Glenn E. Meyer
10-18-2015, 11:46 AM
Guy shot a 26 at the IDPA match fairly decently yesterday. I've done it too. He did shoot a no-shoot 5 times - but they were good hits. I shot my 17 - only one 3 IIRC in the whole match. That was walking at a distance (whine).

SamAdams
10-19-2015, 12:10 PM
As the OP, I just wanted to say Thank You to everyone who posted on the G26. It was very helpful.

I picked up my new Gen 3 G26 and will be putting rounds through it this week. I've gotta feeling that it very well may become one of my favorite Glocks :)

Isaac
10-20-2015, 09:01 AM
I've sold two off in the past. It just couldn't match what the G19 or J frame could do.

Though, I often wonder if a gen4 with a high trigger guard undercut could allow me a better grip. hmmm.

pew_pew
10-20-2015, 12:15 PM
I've sold two off in the past. It just couldn't match what the G19 or J frame could do.

Though, I often wonder if a gen4 with a high trigger guard undercut could allow me a better grip. hmmm.

It's still going to be a two finger grip. The finger groves have the same spacing as a g17, where's a g19 has tighter finger grooves. But I always think a trigger guard undercut is a good idea.

Isaac
10-20-2015, 03:11 PM
i'd shave those suckers off, but your right, it'd still be a 2 finger drip.. but a better one I think?

camsdaddy
10-26-2015, 08:24 PM
Recently shaved the grooves from my 26. I am really pleased. I don't feel my fingers are cramped with stock or gap base plates.

deputyG23
10-27-2015, 06:02 AM
I bought a G26 soon after it was introduced in the mid-90's for off duty carry. My work banned anything other than Glock for on and off duty use in the early '90s so I had to find a replacement for a Smith Bodyguard Airweight for a pocket gun. The G26 is doable as a pants pocket gun if a heavy belt is worn to support the weight but a J-frame is much less chunky and draws much easier than the baby Glock. If my work allowed BUGS, my first choice would be my G27 because it could use mags off of my gun belt intended for my issue G23.

xray 99
10-28-2015, 04:10 AM
My logic in purchasing a G26: It was the smallest gun that offered twice the capacity of a J-frame. The Walther P99c might be another option.

Like Beat Trash, I like the large, non-tail grip module.

JHC
10-28-2015, 07:02 AM
My logic in purchasing a G26: It was the smallest gun that offered twice the capacity of a J-frame. The Walther P99c might be another option.

Like Beat Trash, I like the large, non-tail grip module.

I'm perfectly happy shooting Glocks, but I do get some slide bite and bleed just a little from time to time working out of the holster quickly. On the G26 I liked the shooting with the large backstrap (pre-beavertail) but holy shit; some slide bite turned into Shark Week.

That was a couple/few years ago. I should revisit that.

Sasage
11-03-2015, 07:31 PM

Took some measurements when I did swapping on my 26.

Stock- 6.2#
Minus- 6.5#
Minus+ Gen 3 trigger bar - 5.5#

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

JBP55
11-03-2015, 07:41 PM
Took some measurements when I did swapping on my 26.

Stock- 6.2#
Minus- 6.5#
Minus+ Gen 3 trigger bar - 5.5#

A minus connector increased your trigger pull and a Gen 3 trigger bar reduced the trigger pull by 16oz? I have worked on several hundred Glocks and find both abnormal.

Sasage
11-03-2015, 07:42 PM
Maybe it was just my Gen4 G26 or the budget scale I was using.

Sero Sed Serio
11-03-2015, 11:49 PM
All this G26 discussion is making me seriously consider giving the 26 another shot--even though I've gone over to HK, I still have several Glocks, and a niche role for the 26. Plus I think it's the best-executed subcompact on the market. I prefer the gen. 4 grips, but between a gen. 3 and gen. 4, which is the safer bet?

psalms144.1
11-04-2015, 02:44 PM
I shot my G26 for qualification today, without even blowing the massive lint bunnies out of the trigger guard. I dropped one round out of 60 into the -4 (neck shot at 25 yards). My shooting was no slower than I do with my G19. This little critter continues to impress me...

GAP
11-04-2015, 04:01 PM
Here's my personal carry gen 4. I love the medium beaver tail on the 26. I don't use one on my 19, just feels right on the 26.

The target is a shoot-and-see I used from 15 yards out, cold. I just drew from my IWB without warmup and fired three 147gr HSTs. I'd say the gun is plenty accurate... When I perform Bill Drills my times are right along side of my 19. I have large, long hands, not chunky, this setup is a real winner for me.

MRW
11-04-2015, 07:34 PM
I shot my G26 for qualification today, without even blowing the massive lint bunnies out of the trigger guard. I dropped one round out of 60 into the -4 (neck shot at 25 yards). My shooting was no slower than I do with my G19. This little critter continues to impress me...

My experience mirrors your's. For the past 2 years, it's been the only gun I've shot a perfect score with on my qualifications. The others were a Gen 3 G19 and G22

Sasage
11-04-2015, 07:40 PM
I know that this gun is capable of great accuracy, perhaps the grip is not my forte.

Isaac
11-04-2015, 09:53 PM
I hear ya Sasage,

I know the accuracy is there... it's the weak hand shooting/drawing/holding onto under stress that's got me holding off on trying the gen4..

Sasage
11-05-2015, 08:31 PM
Shot a decent group today....to the left :(

Rex G
11-17-2015, 12:39 PM
Congratulations to the OP!

I wavered on whether to get a G43 or a G26. The G26 would accept my G17 and G19 magazines, but I remembered how my G27, from the 2002-2004 time period, was not so easy to conceal, compared to my SP101 snubbies. I went into a large local FFL, who stocked Gen3 and Gen4 G26 pistols, and the G43. The Gen3 had the familiar feel of my prior G27, OK in my left hand, and seemingly insecure in my right hand, as if ready to squirm free. The G43 was nicely slimmer, and felt OK when gripped, but I was concerned that the differing reach to, and placement of, the trigger. The Gen4 G26 filled my hand very well, with the expected better, more-secure fit and texture, for me, typical of my Gen4 G17, G19, and G34 pistols, and familiar trigger reach and position. I traded a US-made PPK/S-1, the extended tang of which ate holes in my hand, and brought the Gen4 G26 home. (If I want to dress-up, and have a shaken, not stirred, Martini, I do still have my West-German-made PPK/s.)

Of course, this Gen4 G26 is not inherently easier to conceal than my Gen3 G27 had been, but holster design has evolved, especially AIWB. I am already loving the way the G26 rides in a Raven Concealment ACR, after being frustrated with the concealability of the G19 in various AIWB holsters, including the ACR. The G26 is also a workable ankle holster gun for me. (I had already bought a pre-owned lefty Alessi ankle rig, in Baby Glock size, on speculation, some time ago.)

Another factor is that I carried mid-range Magnums in my SP101 snubbies, when I was evaluating G27-versus-snubby in 2002-2004, so per-shot power favored the snubbies. I have now aged-out of my Magnum snub era, and may not even want to shoot +P anymore, from little revolvers, so my snubs have lost the per-shot power advantage over baby Glocks.

This year, I had returned to using full-sized Glocks, this time in 9mm, as duty pistols, to spare my aging hands and wrist the cumulative effects of .40 recoil. (My chief just OK'ed 9mm as an alternative duty pistol cartridge; I switched from a high-bore-axis SIG P229R .40.) I reckon this made buying a G26 inevitable, anyway.

GJM
11-19-2015, 07:27 AM
Yesterday afternoon, my wife shot her Gen 3 26, with HD sights at 50 yards, with Lawman 124 ammo. First shot hit the eight inch steel, and knocked it off the hangar. Remaining nine cartridges shot on paper, and went into four inches (perfect elevation, reference the thread in what height Trigicon HD sights). I have been told the 26 is perhaps the most accurate Glock 9, in terms of intrinsic accuracy, due to its short, and thus stiff, barrel.

CSW
11-25-2015, 08:13 PM
I use the 26 in the summer when I have light clothing on and cannot hide my carry 17.
I wear it AIWB, in a Zorn Skinny Rig.
I've also carried it in an ankle holster: very comfortable, but you aren't gittin' to it quick.
It's an early gun, 1997 I believe, I purchased it used without sights. Installed a Trij HD [lime] on the front and the .156 10-8 black rear. Shoots great. Talon rubbers.

I used to own the 27, and foolishly sold it to a friend.

BWT
11-26-2015, 01:46 PM
I have spent the last 3-4 weeks going back and forth between considering the Glock 43 and a Glock 26.
I have pawed every sample of each at every gun shop that was on display that I went to. I went to a gun show today and fingered around on every one that was there and then went to another gun shop today.......twice. Yes, I have been that guy for the first time in my life.
Anyway, I picked a 26. I had a Gen 4 26 two years ago but sold it and while I was going through my boxes of gun crap this week I found I still had holsters and magazines for a 26. This coupled with the overall feel was better for me pushed me to the 26. Blue label pricing and getting 3 mags with the 26 was nice as well.

All things considered I think the 43 is a nice blaster if you just have to have a really thin single stack gun that is easier on pocket carry. If pocket carry is not going to be a primary method of carry then I think the 26 is a better choice of the two.

I almost went with a 19 but as others have pointed out. I can make the grip on a 26 larger but I am pretty well stuck with the length of a 19 unless I get to cutting on it. I don't like modifying my carry guns beyond changing the sights or stocks on a revolver. I guess I am weird.

I also am that guy from time to time; I just ask to handle a specific item or two if they're not busy. I don't handle everything in the case. Make a few mental notes and buy something from the store (maybe some bullets, use the range, or spare magazines, etc.); I figure I'm paying for their time and keeping the lights on. When it's time to buy I try to go back unless the price is insane.

That's how I cope. I just can't buy a gun every time the thought crossed my mind. But I try to find a way to respect/support the business how I can.

On topic, I shot a rental Gen 3 Glock 26. I am now hooked on getting either a Gen 3 or Gen 4. I was stunned how well I shot it; stunned. Head shots at 25 yards with factory Glock sights were either on or barely off. That's better than I can say about my other Glock/sight combos that day.

I've been leaning hard this direction for sometime and terrorist activity reminds me lately; I need to be carrying more.

God Bless,

Brandon

ETA: I need to get a Glock sight tool; one of my rear sights was 1" off at like 10-15 yards. I think it's time I install my own sights.

JonInWA
11-26-2015, 02:32 PM
While I don't think that a G26 is a "bad" gun, for me it's a tad redundant. I had a G27 when I had my G23 (both are long gone), and frankly never used it that much. To exert controllability/index, I, and many shooters seem to gravitate to the Pierce grip magazine basep-late extension-which puts you firmly in G19 territory, receiver-wise. To me, I it just doesn't make a lot of sense-I just carry my G19, and can do so in a Galco ankle holster if necessary. YMMV, of course. And I'm not inferring that choosing a G26 is a bad decision-just not a necessary one for me.

Best, Jon

dgg9
11-26-2015, 02:36 PM
I owned one (G26) for a while and I came to about the same conclusion: it didn't have a niche for me. Too big for pocket carry...and once you're at the "requires a belt holster" level, then the G19 seemed preferable.

Totem Polar
11-26-2015, 04:02 PM
As the OP, I just wanted to say Thank You to everyone who posted on the G26. It was very helpful.

I picked up my new Gen 3 G26 and will be putting rounds through it this week. I've gotta feeling that it very well may become one of my favorite Glocks :)
Not much to add, beyond the fact that I just bought a Gen 3 G26, myself.

I had a 43, and it's just great for what it is, but I feel that the 43 is just a bit too buggish in a post-Bataclan world, and the 42 actually fits the DC/BUG role better--airweight J-frame sub that it is. For a low-profile primary (lower than my 17) this might be the goldilocks gun.

And, what the hell, I've been an owner of 17/19 and 43; may as well give this 9 a shot, so to speak. Only way to find out if the porridge is perfect.

xmanhockey7
11-26-2015, 04:11 PM
I have a G27 I've been trying to sell because 1. I never carry it and 2. I'm switching to 9mm. I didn't really plan on using the money to buy a 26 because my 27 just sat around collecting dust. After some recent training I've decided I want to carry a BUG and been experimenting with different places to carry the 27. Have found a buyer for the 27 and recently purchased a police trade in 26 that costs about as much as I'm selling the 27 for. I figure if the 26 ends up collecting dust I shouldn't have too much issue selling it at little to no loss.

voodoo_man
11-26-2015, 07:42 PM
Someone say g26?

http://i.imgur.com/P0s6t09.jpg

Glenn E. Meyer
11-27-2015, 10:17 AM
I find the G26 slightly more comfortable as a OWB gun as compared to the G19. I don't particularly like the extension mag. Both work for me, I shoot both decently.

The G42 is my Bug. I have a DeSantis OWB holster for it, specifically so I could shoot it at an IDPA match. I found I could use a leather 1911 mag pouch for the mags. I carry the G42 in a DeSantis pocket holster. I am still debating J frame vs. 42 as a Bug.

GAP
11-27-2015, 01:46 PM
I think the G26 operates much better with the flush mag. I tried to use the pinky extension and glock +2 in the past. For me, because there is only a leverage point in front, my pinky seemed to want to point the muzzle down rather than level.

Once you get the draw down, the only difference I observe is capacity. The two finger grip and butt that leverages under my thumb works incredibly well.

I like to practice with and carry the same gun all year. For those of you who primarily carry a G19/G17 a 26 would be a nice t-shirt option when it's 90.

JodyH
11-27-2015, 01:55 PM
Glock 26 is best Glock.

GAP
12-02-2015, 08:04 PM
3.75" group from 25 yards
147gr HST
10 round flush magazine

Accuracy isn't a problem, I feel like I can do better if I take my time.
Keeping this alive because the 26 is my favorite. =)

Sasage
12-02-2015, 08:52 PM
3.75" group from 25 yards
147gr HST
10 round flush magazine

Accuracy isn't a problem, I feel like I can do better if I take my time.
Keeping this alive because the 26 is my favorite. =)

Stock? What was your cadence of fire?

GAP
12-02-2015, 09:36 PM
Stock? What was your cadence of fire?

Stock besides Ameriglo classic night sights. I switched out the front though for the taller/slimmer .180 height/.125 width sight. This combo gives me POA hits from 15 yards and in, which is what I want for a CCW. I use the medium beaver tail back strap. Mostly for my draw, not slide bite. I believe it gives me better leverage on the smaller pistol when I press down to establish my grip.

Cadence.. shot a few, relaxed a second or two and continued. Didn't worry about speed, I reserve that for Bill Drills mostly.

Isaac
01-14-2016, 12:30 PM
Finally was able to handle a Gen4 G26 yesterday, the grip texture of the gen4 really shines in this little gun, what a difference (compared to a non-stilled gene G26). I am seriously considering buying it, making a nice deep trigger guard under cut & filing off the finger bumps.

Got to looking into small foot print CCW type mag wells for the model in case my hand needs an extra few mm's. Came across this: http://www.austereprovisions.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=SD%2DMF1722

But it isn't being made for gen4 it seems, or G26.. but it's an idea ill keep thinking about.

Nj Det 354
01-14-2016, 07:29 PM
Has anyone experienced or heard of any issues with the factory Glock 26 +2 mags ?

ST911
01-14-2016, 07:51 PM
Has anyone experienced or heard of any issues with the factory Glock 26 +2 mags ?

I use the OEM + basepad on G26 mags carried for reloads. No issues.

EricP
01-14-2016, 08:29 PM

I use Glock +2 and haven't had any issue with the gun cycling. You do need to be careful with reloads.

xray 99
01-14-2016, 10:28 PM

Zero problems so far.

BigT
01-15-2016, 12:17 AM
They are by far the most common 26 mag extension here. We sell shit loads. I don't recall an issue that could be blamed on them off the top of my head.

HCM
01-15-2016, 01:17 AM

None. We have multiple users with them.

Only G26 mag issues I've seen have been with aftermarket extensions.

CSW
01-15-2016, 06:33 AM

I use a Pearce +1 on my 26 gen 3, works great, but still retains the low profile. I' would like to try the +2.

noguns
01-15-2016, 08:30 AM
Anyone have issues with g17 mags?
I had a malfunction. Fte stovepipe the other day with pmag g17. It is stamped 5/15. The pistol has gone years without a stoppage. I used a variety of magazines including kci g19 mags with wolf springs.

GAP
01-15-2016, 12:33 PM
Anyone have issues with g17 mags?
I had a malfunction. Fte stovepipe the other day with pmag g17. It is stamped 5/15. The pistol has gone years without a stoppage. I used a variety of magazines including kci g19 mags with wolf springs.

With my Gen 4 G26, I put about 8,000 rounds through a variety of Glock OEM sized magazines in 2015. I didn't experience a single failure due to the pistol or magazines.

I've learned that if I experience a failure, first make sure I wasn't limp wristing, then examine the ammo used, followed by the magazines and then the gun itself.

The +2s have worked fine as well. Through many different setups and testing, my preference is a flush 10 rounder in the gun and a G19 spare mag.

CSW
01-15-2016, 12:45 PM
My 17 mags make my 26 gag also. 19 mags work. The 19 does not gag on 17 mags.
I think it migh be the weight of the mag shifting the mag and changing the feed angle.

JHC
01-15-2016, 01:27 PM
Most of my G26 volume has been with 17 mags and I've not noticed any issues however I don't put the volume through the 26s that the 17s get.

HCM
01-15-2016, 01:39 PM
My 17 mags make my 26 gag also. 19 mags work. The 19 does not gag on 17 mags.
I think it migh be the weight of the mag shifting the mag and changing the feed angle.

Myself and many of our guys run G17/26 combos or Sig 229/G26 combos. Our qual course of fire is based on 12 round P-229 mags so we normally see the 26's run with Glock +2 26 mags and 17 mags - no mag issues.

I have seen two G26 ( one Gen4 and one Gen3) with Brass To Face and. Failure to Extract/Eject issues.

Sasage
01-15-2016, 02:50 PM
Pinches my finger when shooting but I threw a o ring on it and it works great

BN
01-15-2016, 03:53 PM
Pinches my finger when shooting but I threw a o ring on it and it works great

I don't get pinched by the OEM +2 but the Pearce ones eat me up. :(

JBP55
01-15-2016, 06:06 PM
I don't get pinched by the OEM +2 but the Pearce ones eat me up. :(

All OEM +2 for many years now. Had the same experience with the aftermarket extensions.

Drew78
01-15-2016, 10:34 PM
I've run 1000's of rounds through my G26 with everything up to a 33 round happy stick. I've never experienced any kind of stoppage with any oem glock magazine.

Edit : the glock 26 is my all time favorite glock and my carry pistol 90% of the time.

DacoRoman
05-18-2016, 06:00 PM
What sights are you guys running on your G26? I think I'd like a low profile, .150 wide rear, with a high visibility .125 wide front, with tritium, with a serrated front. I like FO usually but I'm not sure that a FO front would lend itself for the G26 which I'll carry AWIB in a VG1 or maybe in ankle carry. I have also thought about HD's but I would like to maximize the potential for precision/accuracy a bit more, however with the short sight radius the rear notch may not seem that wide, although that front sight may be too wide for me. Any suggestions?

Also anyone see any reported problems running +P ammo in the G26 (gen 4)?

Edit: I just realized that a serrated front may not be smart in a VG1! so no serrations..I guess I would like sights with a .150 rear and .125 front, like the Warren Sevigny's but lower profile, and maybe not as sharp, and with a much higher visibility front...any thoughts?

BillSWPA
05-18-2016, 06:05 PM
Not quite what you are looking for, but I am using Trijicon Bright and Tough now, and will likely switch to Dawson tritium front and rear soon. I have had the best longevity from sights with Trijicon inserts.

I have many +P rounds through my gun with no issues. The gun is very close to the .40 caliber 27. As with anything, changing the recoil springs every few thousand rounds helps.

CSW
05-18-2016, 06:15 PM
I now run Ameriglo Cap sights on all my glocks.
They are low pro, and pretty much meet your other criteria.
Very pleased with the sight picture.

No issues with ANY ammunition in the 26.

GAP
05-18-2016, 06:27 PM
Ameriglo classics - great value, low profile, not sharp against skin, good at distance and up close, can use their online calculator to figure out the POA/POI for your pistol and purchase different height front sights if you wish...

Or pay double for what the cool kids use and learn a new sight picture every few months. :D

DacoRoman
05-18-2016, 09:57 PM
Great tips thanks guys.

Cool Breeze
05-18-2016, 11:20 PM
I use and love... Ameriglo Night Sight, Green w/ White Outline - For Glocks, .165 Height GL-112T
AR-AP-TGNSFRONT-GL-112T

Ameriglo Night Sight Set - Pro Operator Style - Yellow REAR GL-229-OP-R
AR-AP-PROOPREAR-GL-229-OP-R

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Steaz
05-18-2016, 11:21 PM
If I could only have on gun, it would be a Glock 26. I'm in love with Trijicon HD night sights right now, including on my G26. I have never had problems with any Glock magazines, be they 10, 12, 15, or 17 rounds (and a couple times, 33). I have had a couple issues with my off brand +2 baseplate on a Glock mag body so I don't use it any more and am thoroughly testing my all-Glock 12 rounder to make doubly sure I didn't mis remember and have a malfunction with it at some point.

No issues with +P or +P+ ammo for any G26 (+P+ referring to ammo from a reputable manufacturer like the stuff by Federal and Winchester, not bubba gun show reloads or anything)

Velo Dog
05-19-2016, 11:28 AM
I have over 1200 rounds through a recently acquired Gen 4 Glock 26. Over half have been various standard pressure defensive ammo.

The only real problem occurred when Hornady Critical Defense Lite 100 gr. FTX was fired from a factory Glock +2 magazine. The standard Critical Defense 115 gr. FTX, Federal Guard Dog 105 gr. EFMJ, American Eagle suppressor 124 fmj subsonic and other loads functioned perfectly with 12+1 in the gun. The Critical Defense Lite 100gr. FTX worked just fine in the 10 round factory magazines, however.

The 12 round magazines are harder to seat with a chambered round, but do seem to help with recoil. Accuracy and POI do not seem to be radically affected by the +2 base pad.

GAP
05-19-2016, 06:14 PM
Just say no to magazine extensions guys.

GJM
05-19-2016, 06:34 PM
I routinely reload a 26 with a 19 magazine, and have noted zero issues with the 19 mag in a 26.

GAP
05-19-2016, 07:39 PM
I routinely reload a 26 with a 19 magazine, and have noted zero issues with the 19 mag in a 26.

This. Conceal it with the flush and recharge it with a 19. Faster reload, more bullets, all that...

DacoRoman
05-19-2016, 08:30 PM
This. Conceal it with the flush and recharge it with a 19. Faster reload, more bullets, all that...

I agree, experimentation demonstrated to me that the beauty of the G26 is with the flush magazines. With the flush mags it disappears under a medium T shirt carried AWIB in a VG1. My normal carry G19 in an Eidolon can't pull off concealment under a medium T shirt for me. This carry niche was handled by my J frame traditionally, carried in my cool AIWB Dark Star Gear holster, however after a Hackathorn class last April where we shot the second day with BUG's exclusively I decided to outright mothball the J frame, except for very specific applications, and go with something else. I chose the G26 as I'm already all in on the Glock platform. I even found the 10 round mag to be good for spare mag carry with the G26, because in the T shirt and Jeans scenario I can't belt carry easily, even IWB, and a full length mag prints badly in my front pocket. The little 10 rounder on the other hand looks totally nondescript in my pocket.

I did try Pearce mag extensions but that takes the gun just outside the concealment sweet spot for me, and at that point I might as well be carrying my G19. I'm also planning on trying the G26 in an ankle holster for times when I just have to do it, and the flush mags will have to be used then as well, I'm sure.

Interestingly, at the Hackathorn class there was quite a bit of talk regarding the G43 as Ken was shooting one during the BUG day (very well by the way). Interestingly, not one person was shooting a G26. Anyway for cost of an extra few thousands of an inch of thickness I decided the G26 was clearly superior to the G43 in just about every way, for me. BTW, Ken recommend no +P ammo in the G43 for what it's worth.

Steaz
05-20-2016, 09:12 AM
I did try Pearce mag extensions but that takes the gun just outside the concealment sweet spot for me, and at that point I might as well be carrying my G19.

On that note, I've seen this posted several times. Good comparison

http://i63.tinypic.com/kf2lgh.jpg

Isaac
05-21-2016, 11:10 AM
Went to fun shop today, held the gen4 G26 again, feels so much better.. but how does it feel rapid fire on handed with the flush mag?

Kram
05-21-2016, 03:03 PM
Looks like Magpul will be releasing 12 round Glock 26 magazines with the extended baseplate. The price is nice especially compared to the factory extended magazines.

https://www.magpul.com/products/pmag-12-gl9?utm_source=Dispatch&utm_medium=Dispatch&utm_campaign=Dispatch&utm_term=Dispatch&utm_content=Dispatch

JCS
05-21-2016, 03:28 PM
Looks like Magpul will be releasing 12 round Glock 26 magazines with the extended baseplate. The price is nice especially compared to the factory extended magazines.

https://www.magpul.com/products/pmag-12-gl9?utm_source=Dispatch&utm_medium=Dispatch&utm_campaign=Dispatch&utm_term=Dispatch&utm_content=Dispatch

Great news! I will be buying these. I've had great luck with their 15s and 17s

GAP
05-21-2016, 03:47 PM
Went to fun shop today, held the gen4 G26 again, feels so much better.. but how does it feel rapid fire on handed with the flush mag?

It's fine.. I did about 20 Bill Drills today. I still have a mag with the +2 on it which I tried again. The times were around 2.5 seconds with the flush and extended so for me it doesn't matter. I think you adjust to whatever you practice with as long as the weapon is capable there's no problem.

In addition, I've been using the Vickers Test to evaluate time and accuracy... No problems there either. I clear the vicker's with ease, still trying to get consistent low 2s in the Bill Drill though.

Edit: I just noticed, I think you are asking about one handed shooting just forgot the "e." It's fine since its 9mm, I would imagine the 27 to be a pain single handed but I don't know. It's even accurate at distance with slow fire one handed. I participated in the "300" drill of the week and two of the stages are SHO and WHO from 25 yards..

For me, the concealment and weight advantages were worth spending time with it and getting used to the grip, now it's a non-issue. I don't carry appendix or wear big goofy clothes so the grip length plays a large roll.

Isaac
05-21-2016, 04:31 PM
Thanks, GAP. Appreciate your reply.

(yea, meant to write *one :)

cathellsk
05-22-2016, 12:36 AM

I got to play with one of those and a G26 at the NRA show today. They are very nice and slightly less bulky than the factory +2 mag. I also got to play with the 21 & 27rd mags. If I get another G26 I'll be picking up some of those 12rd mags, also some of the 21rd mags.

DacoRoman
05-22-2016, 02:33 AM
Sorry to take the conversation back to sights, but I'm having a hard time deciding on Ameriglo pro glos, I dots, cap, or tcaps, for the G26. I've thought about HDs but I don't want a U notch. I'm leaning calling Ameriglo and ordering a set of orange tcaps. Any additional words of wisdom?

CSW
05-22-2016, 05:59 AM
Sorry to take the conversation back to sights, but I'm having a hard time deciding on Ameriglo pro glos, I dots, cap, or tcaps, for the G26. I've thought about HDs but I don't want a U notch. I'm leaning calling Ameriglo and ordering a set of orange tcaps. Any additional words of wisdom?

I had a set of ORANGE CAP sights, a set of Pro i dots in orange and my eyes just didn't pick up the front sight as fast as the yellows.
My eyes have issues picking up a red Fiber versus a green fiber. I can see the red, but the green POPS for me.
YMMV....

Have you seen the sight picture thread????

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?20098-Sight-Pictures!