PDA

View Full Version : Glock 43- Out of the box with a broken trigger spring. Certified armorers in SE Mich?

DJC
10-14-2015, 09:04 AM
I purchased a new Glock 43 last night from the local big box sporting goods store. When I got home and tried to dry fire it, the trigger wouldn't reset. I field stripped the pistol and, low and behold, the metal "hook" on the end of the trigger spring is broken! Not sure what it's called, as it's unique to the G42/43, but it's the "j channel" hook at the end of the trigger spring that engages the trigger bar. It is sheared clean off, right at the bend. I detail stripped it and the broken piece was wedged into the trigger mechanism housing.

Two lessons:
1. Fully inspect any new gun before purchasing. It was a Glock so I didn't think I needed to finger bang this thing before I bought it. I just verified that the serial number on the gun matched the paper work and told the salesman to bag it up.
2. Don't buy guns from big box stores. Went back this morning to see what they would do and got the expected "you'll have to send it back to the manufacturer" response. Also, I can't imagine this gun came from the factory in this condition. The seal on the box had been broken so the gun had been previously opened in the store, and I can only imagine what the marginally-literate monkeys working the gun counter did to it prior to selling it to me.

I just got off the phone with Glock and they said I will need to send it in. That's a ridiculous amount of time and effort for a $5 part.

Are there any Glock certified armorers on here that are in SE Michigan (Detroit area) that could source me the part? It seems these are hard to find online and Glock will only ship to a certified armorer.

41magfan
10-14-2015, 12:48 PM
Back when the 42 was introduced, one of my Instructor pals (who's the sharpest Glock guy I know) made the passing comment that the deviation from the normal Glock return spring design looked "fragile" to him. It may have nothing to do with your failure and time will tell if it's an inherently weak design, I just thought it interesting that he would make that observation many, many months ago.

ETA: I just spoke with him after I posted initially and he told me that the entire trigger block must be replaced and that individual parts within that assembly are not available as normal parts purchases - even for Armorers. It'll have to go back to Smyrna.

DJC
10-14-2015, 02:16 PM
Interesting. I couldn't find anything (via a Google search) about this being a known issue. There are lots of references to incorrectly reassembled trigger assemblies, but not actual part failures. Hopefully this is an anomaly.

I just shipped the gun off to Glock.

LSP972
10-14-2015, 03:24 PM
And the fleas begin to emerge… not the broken spring, but the fact that it is not user-repairable.

I'm becoming less and less interested in this pistol as time passes.

OnionsAndDragons
10-14-2015, 03:33 PM
Wow... That sucks.

I'm starting to feel the same way, LSP972. I've thought about replacing the PPS with one, because of Glock market advantage; but now I find out that that advantage may not apply to the new micro pistols. Disappointing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LSP972
10-14-2015, 03:41 PM
Wow... That sucks.

I'm starting to feel the same way, LSP972. I've thought about replacing the PPS with one, because of Glock market advantage; but now I find out that that advantage may not apply to the new micro pistols. Disappointing.

Yeah. At least, you haven't bought one (and dropped more than the price of the pistol on accessories- some of which are now questionable themselves) yet.

Glock owes me another one, which my wife won at a GSSF match, and should have been here by now. I'm not motivated enough to check on it…:(

OnionsAndDragons
10-14-2015, 03:44 PM
Yeah. I hear you there. I've been watching you guys report on the TT plates.

Maybe in another year I'll reevaluate it, but I'm no longer considering it until all the fleas have been combed out.

Anyway, I think the old lady put down on a Chief Special for me for Yule time. So I may not be looking for a better BUG anyway...

L-2
10-14-2015, 04:02 PM
Part number 33228, available here:
http://glockparts.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=1090633
$10 + shipping.

FYI, I recently shipped a Glock back to GA (5+ pounds) and it was ~$80. The G43 is lighter, so it's probably a bit less to ship.

Also, Glock can be very slow at shipping parts. As a Glock Certified Armorer, there are times I've waited a couple of months for parts. In one case, it took years before Glock made the #3 .357SIG mag follower available even though the followers were present in new mags.

41magfan
10-14-2015, 07:01 PM
And the fleas begin to emerge… not the broken spring, but the fact that it is not user-repairable.

I'm becoming less and less interested in this pistol as time passes.

L-2's post showing the block assembly being sold by Glockparts.com is an obvious departure from what was the reality when my Pal attended his latest Advanced Armorers class at Smyrna some months ago. At that time, apparently there were no surplus of parts available for the 42/43 to trickle down to retail outlets. That's obviously changed, so that's a good thing.

LSP972
10-14-2015, 10:11 PM
Anyway, I think the old lady put down on a Chief Special for me for Yule time. So I may not be looking for a better BUG anyway...

I'll be buried with a J frame in my pocket. Been carrying one or another as a back-up (and sometimes a primary, back in my young/foolish days) since 1978.

I was actually looking at the G43 as a primary. Okay, so I'm not the brightest bulb on the tree…

OnionsAndDragons
10-14-2015, 10:15 PM
I was actually looking at the G43 as a primary. Okay, so I'm not the brightest bulb on the tree…

I know you know better...

LSP972
10-15-2015, 08:26 AM
I know you know better...

I do; or, I did. But getting old changes one's perspective. When you're hurting after a day of lugging around a service piece and spare magazine, you tend to start thinking about lighter, less bulky alternatives. I have been searching for just that for over two years now. I've tried almost every small 9mm launcher out there, and none were suitable for one reason or another.

The G43 gave me a glimmer of hope, and as I shot it more, the more I realized it was what I've been looking for. So I went all-in; a bit prematurely, as it turns out.

Of course, there's nothing wrong with the basic gun. The pieces/parts non-availability, like some have said, is probably just a matter of time. But the magazine extender issues, possible issues with +P ammunition, and the need to fiddle around with front sight height give me pause. All of that is fixable, but should be properly dealt with one item at a time. And the thought of it makes me… tired.;)

I'll get around to it. In the meantime, I'm experimenting with holster positioning on the HK to hopefully ease my hip pain/sciatic nerve irritation. Some days it works; some days it doesn't. Life goes on.

OnionsAndDragons
10-15-2015, 11:31 AM
Oh, I understand completely.

I'm not in the old category from a timeline perspective, but my body certainly is. I had a cancer-like bone disease in childhood that has set me up with all sorts of back/neck issues and old-man aches. It honestly helped push me to AIWB, as that seems to be less stressful on my back how the weight carries. But I'd be a liar if I said that it doesn't get me on a longer day.

For now, my sweet spot is the P2000 or G19. In 5-10 years, who knows. Maybe we will have phasers by then and we can both stop worrying about it!