PDA

View Full Version : DVD's for edged weapons training

UNK
10-11-2015, 07:53 AM
What instructors and DVD's for edged training do you have in your library or recommend.

Clay1
10-11-2015, 08:21 AM
Tagged. I keep telling myself that I need to take a blade class. One of the kits that I saw by Michael Janich had a couple of training blades in it with a couple of DVDs. Can't find a link to it right now and just about out the door for the day. That kit has been on my radar for a while. I thought that by buying two of the trainers and finding another serious guy to train with would be great. I also thought my daughter should train with me. It sounds like family fun.

Mostly posted to see what others recommend.

voodoo_man
10-11-2015, 08:36 AM
Nothing beats the real deal, learning from an instructor that can answer questions and guide the learning process.

Up1911Fan
10-11-2015, 09:54 AM
I like the Kelly McCann stuff.

Pepper
10-11-2015, 11:46 AM
Brian Hoffner: http://www.hoffners.com/31-training-videos

UNK
10-11-2015, 12:01 PM
If you can find a worthwhile instructor in my area that will do class setting not private only at 50.00 per hour per person let me know.

Nothing beats the real deal, learning from an instructor that can answer questions and guide the learning process.

Totem Polar
10-11-2015, 12:11 PM
I'll second Janich; both his DVDs and his live seminars are well done. He was a production guy for Paladin back in the day, and it shows. I also like McCann's stuff; never met him. I have met some guy called southnarc; word is he has a set of DVDs out that are well worth looking at. I've also gotten some good info from James Keating's video output. I still have a soft spot in my heart for the ancient Ernie Franco vids. Actually, all that old Paladin stuff: surviving edged weapons, etc.

UNK
10-11-2015, 12:24 PM
Thanks I have one of Southnarcs videos I'll look into the others too.

I'll second Janich; both his DVDs and his live seminars are well done. He was a production guy for Paladin back in the day, and it shows. I also like McCann's stuff; never met him. I have met some guy called southnarc; word is he has a set of DVDs out that are well worth looking at. I've also gotten some good info from James Keating's video output. I still have a soft spot in my heart for the ancient Ernie Franco vids. Actually, all that old Paladin stuff: surviving edged weapons, etc.

voodoo_man
10-11-2015, 02:39 PM
If you can find a worthwhile instructor in my area that will do class setting not private only at 50.00 per hour per person let me know.

What city you in, pm me ill look around

SeriousStudent
10-11-2015, 03:14 PM
Craig Douglas and Steve Tarani.

Totem Polar
10-11-2015, 04:39 PM
Tarani. That was the other guy I was trying to think of this morning (in a coffeeshop, away from my DVD shelf).

UNK
10-11-2015, 08:17 PM
Thanks for the help. Much appreciated. I'll call him next week.

What city you in, pm me ill look around

That Guy
10-16-2015, 07:40 AM
Brian Hoffner: http://www.hoffners.com/31-training-videos

Eh.... The stuff he has on YouTube seems a bit, well, silly. "Become a knife operator." "Best CQB-knife on the planet!" Have you compared his material to some of the other recommendations here, like SouthNarc's stuff? How does it compare?

markdl000
10-16-2015, 08:08 AM
Search edged weapons overview (EWO) on YouTube to check SN's methodology. Lots of live training against resisting classmates.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

1slow
10-17-2015, 12:00 AM
Craig Douglas, Michael Janich, Tom Sotis AMOK, James Keating.
I took classes with the first 3 and liked all of them. Craig's may be the easiest to make functional in a hurry. I like Keating's Bowie and Drawpoint DVDs.
One of the TPI guys did a very good DVD Shadowboxing With Weapons.

A pell (striking post) is useful. I have one that is a 12'' x 6' pine pole and another that is a 12'' diameter 1/2'' wall thickness x 6' cardboard tube. The wood is good to teach me how to deal with the impact of striking if I hit a hard surface such as bone, buckle, knife or gun. The tube has shown me things about blade penetration design and handle design. This has given me a real appreciation of the handle shapes on the Strider DB and the Watson HITS knife. I need to make up a dense foam dummy cheap enough that I can stab it.
I think it is useful to do draw and multiple strikes drills on the post with a range timer. Monkey with a screwdriver ! Be careful not to cut yourself. Cut resistant gloves might be good until you are used to the impact. Wear safety glasses. I use dull trainers and live blades both.

drummer
10-18-2015, 08:25 PM
The Bob Kasper Lost Tapes DVD from Paladin Press is a good start. For edged weapon defense, the Edged Weapon Defense DVD from Carl Cestari has some good material in it. His wife still sells his DVDs on eBay.

As has already been mentioned, for reverse grip training, Jim Keating's Drawpoint series is excellent.