PDA

View Full Version : RFI- Changes in issued pistol and/or lights

DpdG
10-11-2015, 05:08 AM
Background- I am the junior FI for a small (approx. 20-25 sworn) agency that currently does not issue/allow pistol lights for usage outside of SWAT training/deployment. We issue P226R 40cal DA/SA pistols for patrol, P239 for detectives/admin, most of which appear to date to 2003-2004. They have been mostly cared for and are in good, but used, condition with round counts varied from around 5K- likely over 20k. Current holsters are a mix of 6280 and 070.

I'm involved in putting together a comprehensive proposal for the general issuance of pistol lights and need some help. The agency is full blown CALEA, so many of you know the level of administrative inertia involved. Can anyone point me in the direction of reference material regarding pistols lights for patrol, ideally research based (IACP, PERF, etc...) Further, does anyone have access to proposals that have been successful in the past, ideally in a CALEA agency? My final request on that front would be if anyone can share a model policy for the implementation and deployment of lights, hopefully to include any remediation of inappropriate usage?

Although our current pistols are currently in serviceable shape, they are generally over 10 years old. If we were to move to weapon lights and the associated holster costs, I believe it would be fiscally responsible to seriously explore a change in pistol at the same time. I personally love the P226, but recognize it has some limitations, especially with our smaller statured officers (agency is 25% female) who tend to struggle with the grip size and DA/SA transition. We are less than 15 minutes from both the Sig factory and the Sig Academy, so they have been VERY responsive to any issues, needs, and wants. Given our 20+ year history with them, and the way they have taken care of us, I highly doubt a brand change is in the cards.

My gut tells me the P320 in 9mm would likely fill our needs while allowing for potentially greater marksmanship from the shooters we have, due to increased ergonomics, decreased weight, decreased recoil, and decreased costs. Does anyone have documentation supporting or refuting such a hypothesis? With a change from DA/SA to SFA, what kind of transition should an agency plan for? I'm assuming at a minimum 6-8 hours, with more than half spent classroom. Again, if anyone has a model program/lesson plan they can share, I would greatly appreciate it.

I will provide agency email upon request if anyone is able to share anything formal.

Thanks,
-G

Sammy1
10-11-2015, 06:57 AM
I took the IALEFIA Master Instructor Development by a Marietta GA instructor. Marietta is kinda of a pioneer in pistol lights and generally speaking the go to agency for advice on weapon mounted lights. At the start of class one of the first things he said to us was don't ask for a copy of their P/P on weapon mounted lights and don't ask for advice on making yours. He told us that all of our P/P have something in there about not doing anything stupid with your pistol and that's enough to cover weapon mounted lights.

Lon
10-11-2015, 08:47 AM
I don't know that I would sweat the CALEA thing. I can't recall, off the top of my head, any standard that dealt specifically with WMLs. We've been full blown CALEA for years. We started carrying WMLs (optional) 10+ years ago. I'd worry more about figuring out what your chief needs to hear/see to make it happen vs. worrying about CALEA. Once the chief signs off on the proposal, a CALEA style policy is easy. As a matter of fact, I don't think our policy actually talks about their use. It's been addressed via training - aka, this is how you use it, when you use it, when it's not appropriate to use it, etc. Pm me your dept address and I'll see if I can dig up one of our lesson plans and I'll send it to ya.

Beat Trash
10-11-2015, 09:42 AM
We were CALEA for several years. Spent a lot of time and effort obtaining CALEA and maintained it for about 10 years. Then a new Chief came along and looked into what the CALEA certification brought to the table vs. the 6 figure annual cost of maintaining the certification with an agency our size. We dumped CALEA. Strangely enough, the world still went round and round.

I would be more concerned with a policy and procedure that your Chief is comfortable signing off on.

We transitioned from a DAO S&W 5946 to the M&P9, receiving some of the very first M&P9's produced. At that time, we transitioned 1,200ish officers and if I remember correctly, it was a two day process. It could easily be done in one day if you cut out the "stuff and fluff" and less lethal training that was tossed into justify 16 hours of training (plus lunch, of course...)

I agree with you concerning looking into a new pistol. If you have to buy hew holsters, now would be a good time to look into new guns. I would strongly suggest looking into a 9mm platform. For all the reasons that so many 40 cal agencies are switching. IF you want to maintain the relationship with Sig, then get your LE sales rep to drop off a couple of T&E 320 9mm's. Have him/her give you a full size, compact and subcompact pistol. Also ask for small, medium and large grip sizes within all three frame sizes. I feel the 320 is a valid contender for an agency issued pistol.

Have your officers and command staff shoot the guns. Make sure your command staff are shooting the guns with grips of the appropriate size for their hands. If you get your command staff excited about the project, then you're life is much easier.

I would also have a couple of lights to T&E on hand at the same time I was doing the T&E of new pistols.

Sammy1
10-11-2015, 10:30 AM
We did do a policy but it was pretty basic, activate with your support hand, care and maintenance, what's approved and of course don't do anything stupid with it. It only takes one guy doing HGN with his WML and everyone loses the right to carry one.

DpdG
10-11-2015, 01:18 PM
I would be more concerned with a policy and procedure that your Chief is comfortable signing off on.

We transitioned from a DAO S&W 5946 to the M&P9, receiving some of the very first M&P9's produced. At that time, we transitioned 1,200ish officers and if I remember correctly, it was a two day process. It could easily be done in one day if you cut out the "stuff and fluff" and less lethal training that was tossed into justify 16 hours of training (plus lunch, of course...)

I agree with you concerning looking into a new pistol. If you have to buy hew holsters, now would be a good time to look into new guns. I would strongly suggest looking into a 9mm platform. For all the reasons that so many 40 cal agencies are switching. IF you want to maintain the relationship with Sig, then get your LE sales rep to drop off a couple of T&E 320 9mm's. Have him/her give you a full size, compact and subcompact pistol. Also ask for small, medium and large grip sizes within all three frame sizes. I feel the 320 is a valid contender for an agency issued pistol.

Have your officers and command staff shoot the guns. Make sure your command staff are shooting the guns with grips of the appropriate size for their hands. If you get your command staff excited about the project, then you're life is much easier.

I would also have a couple of lights to T&E on hand at the same time I was doing the T&E of new pistols.

Regarding CALEA- For better or worse, my community and agency is very proud of the accreditation, so I work within that framework. Thank you for helping on the weapon eval process, that's the basics I foresee.

I took the IALEFIA Master Instructor Development by a Marietta GA instructor. Marietta is kinda of a pioneer in pistol lights and generally speaking the go to agency for advice on weapon mounted lights. At the start of class one of the first things he said to us was don't ask for a copy of their P/P on weapon mounted lights and don't ask for advice on making yours. He told us that all of our P/P have something in there about not doing anything stupid with your pistol and that's enough to cover weapon mounted lights.

Do you know if they commonly share any info regarding their experiences- I.e. Why they chose to issue lights, what difficulties they have encountered in the process?

I don't know that I would sweat the CALEA thing. I can't recall, off the top of my head, any standard that dealt specifically with WMLs. We've been full blown CALEA for years. We started carrying WMLs (optional) 10+ years ago. I'd worry more about figuring out what your chief needs to hear/see to make it happen vs. worrying about CALEA. Once the chief signs off on the proposal, a CALEA style policy is easy. As a matter of fact, I don't think our policy actually talks about their use. It's been addressed via training - aka, this is how you use it, when you use it, when it's not appropriate to use it, etc. Pm me your dept address and I'll see if I can dig up one of our lesson plans and I'll send it to ya.

Thank you, PM forthcoming.

Thanks all, and please keep it coming, especially any source material to help sell it to the chief.

-G

Lon
10-11-2015, 02:07 PM
I will say this: if I was making the rules, SF DG style switches would be mandatory on any pistol mounted light I authorized. I personally think the pros of the DG switch outweigh any cons.

TC215
10-11-2015, 03:43 PM
I got "sentenced" to our accreditation office several years ago after I got hurt and ended up on light duty, so I'm pretty familiar with how it works, and what you're asking for is really no big deal. CALEA doesn't care so much what you do, they just want you to have a policy for it, then have documentation that you're following the policy.

jnc36rcpd
10-11-2015, 06:04 PM
We're a fifty-seven officer agency that drinks the CALEA Cool-aid. Pistol-mounted lights have been authorized for some years. With our transition from the .40 SIG DA/SA 226 and 239 to the FNS-9, the firearms training coordinator hoped to make PML's standard. Unfortunately, many of the pistols have malfunctioned with the lights which are currently optional. (Neither we nor FNH are certain of the cause. Pistols and video of malfunctions have been sent to FNH.)

That said, I would agree with TC215's assessment that CALEA generally just wants policies and proof that they are enforced (and that fat check you write to them). We do have a pistol-mounted light policy and a lesson plan created for the rollout of the pistols. If you send me a work email or fax #, I'll send you what we have.

I attended a class by Marietta PD on PML's at an IALEFI ATC some years ago. They did have a disc available that covered training, policy, and selection of lights. If memory serves, it was produced in conjunction with Insight Technologies which was producing their issue lights. (The downside of the disc being that the included recruitment video is so cool you will immediately move to Georgia and apply for MPD.)

DpdG
10-11-2015, 06:21 PM
Thank you, PM forthcoming.

-G

pablo
10-13-2015, 10:01 AM
CALEA, Cash Accepted from Law Enforcement Agencies. The CALEA thing isn't a big deal.

The bigger issue will be dealing with the types that assume that a pistol mounted light will turn officers into rabid child murderers. If you have to deal with people that will actively try to obstruct any sort of useful change, I'd try to keep the initial transition fairly restrictive and as lean as possible. Unfortunately if you give some officer two inches of rope, they'll find a way to tie a noose in it, hang themselves, and when it comes time to take responsibility for their actions, have every excuse under the sun. That's when the "I told you so" crap starts and all your hard work gets flushed down the toilet. If you're facing opposition, I think DG type switches are a complete waste of effort, they're nice to have, but there's so much BS surrounding them on the internet, it's an issue that can derail any sort of change. If officers want WML's it may be better to make it a personally purchased item, that will nip a lot of opposition about cost in the bud. Here's the cliff notes version of our policy. The transition course is 2 hours long and is follow on training during annual quals.

1. Officers shall not use a WML as a general purpose illumination device. A WML can only be used when the officer would be justified in displaying/deploying a firearm.
2. Officers carrying a WML will carry a personal illumination device (hand held flashlight) capable of producing at least 60 lumens of light, on their person.
3. Officers carrying a WML will supply their own holster and light (list specific models numbers), and are responsible for the maintenance and upkeep of these items.
4. Officers who want to carry a WML will complete a WML transition course prior to carrying a WML.

Chuck Haggard
10-13-2015, 10:44 AM
We did do a policy but it was pretty basic, activate with your support hand, care and maintenance, what's approved and of course don't do anything stupid with it. It only takes one guy doing HGN with his WML and everyone loses the right to carry one.

That is very simply a horrible idea to have written in policy, or even to mandate in training.

jnc36rcpd
10-13-2015, 11:14 AM
We preach support hand manipulation of the light, but I agree with Chuck that it should not be mandated. Consider a situation in which an officer's support hand is injured or controlling a suspect or victim. While using the trigger finger to work the light is not optimal, it may be better than making a shoot/don't-shoot decision when it's too dark to see the potential threat.

DMF13
10-13-2015, 01:54 PM
PM sent.

DMF13
10-13-2015, 02:01 PM
If you're facing opposition, I think DG type switches are a complete waste of effort, they're nice to have, but there's so much BS surrounding them on the internet, it's an issue that can derail any sort of change.The problem is he already said smaller sized folks are a big factor. What we've found is that most people with big hands don't use the DG/Contour switches, and those with small hands/short fingers like and use those switches. If you have short fingers sometimes it's hard to use your support hand thumb, or trigger finger, to work the switch.

Sammy1
10-13-2015, 05:01 PM
It would only be an issue if an officer had an unintentional discharge while trying to activate the light with his dominate hand. I don't see a supervisor tagging along on a building search and writing up an officer for activating the light with his trigger finger.

voodoo_man
10-13-2015, 05:29 PM
My agencies policy is pretty strict "allowed only by order of the top brass" or something like that. I know plenty of guys who carry them, hell I did for a few years (streamlight tlr1s). I was asked to provide training docs which I have and documentation of research which backs up the use - downloadable PDF link for "shooters edge" (https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CB0QFjAAahUKEwjBwOb7vsDIAhWJVT4KHaptB-k&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ialefi.com%2Fconf2013%2FInstr uctorSubs%2FInstructor%2520Proposals%2FFarren%2C%2 520Ken%2520X%2FSE%2520lowlight%2520edit.doc&usg=AFQjCNHTyj3Ww0hlAOFn0c7hOzGwCRyexA&sig2=ig67zh0fChpaWVBL8XHL5g&bvm=bv.104819420,d.cWw&cad=rja) which outlines issues and course work.

Below is a copy/paste of what I give to brass who question its use to read as a primer.

IALEFI Control Number 13-11

Justifying Weapon Mounted Lights.

Men who prey upon others look at the world much differently than do the people they feast upon. Bad

guys view darkness as an asset. They use darkness as a weapon against not only their victims but also

against those of us who are supposed to stop them. National statistics show that since the FBI and others

have been keeping the numbers, about 85 % of violent crime, predator crime, occurs between 8pm and 6

am. At the same time, the vast majority of officer-involved shootings and attacks on officers occur in this

same low light or no light environment.

Because most shootings occur in low-light conditions, not only is it crucial for police departments to train

their officers to become proficient at shooting in low light, officers must learn to do so with the aid of

flashlights else the outcome of such shooting can become tragic if innocent citizen or unarmed suspect

are shot by mistake. Being comfortable and skilled operating a firearm and a flashlight together only

occurs thru intense training. Officer become effective in this gross motor activity if they participate in

repetitive training that subconsciously ingrains tactical skills into the brain through muscle memory and

while assuring equipment issues such as deploying a tactical flashlight technique with a handgun or long

gun will not distract officers. Having officers gun handling skills hard-wired into their subconscious

through repetition and practice is no more important than to ingraining flashlight techniques into those

same reflexive skill-set.

When you take a group of relatively good shooters and run them through a series of drills in the daylight

and then you take the exact same shooters and run the exact same drills in low light the many of them

will shoot only half as well as they did during the day. Everything gets more complicated in the dark.

Accuracy becomes extremely important in low light conditions. If your department accepted accuracy are

hits somewhere inside the silhouette at 7 yards on a stationary target in the day light, your officers are

going to fail miserable in a night fire exercise.

Officers need to be able to keep their shots within the 10 ring, essentially shooting groups that can be

covered with your hand during the day to have any hope of acceptable accuracy at night.

When officers are under stress, trying to remember how to hold their handheld light and to use it in a

tactically sound fashion, typically trigger control suffers immensely. That is just on the range, in the real

world of verbal challenge, seeking cover, threat identification and recognizing safe background their

ability is degraded even worse.

The more activities that officers have to dedicate to other tasks, the less likely it is that they will give the

proper attention to properly controlling grip, sight alignment and trigger control. Drawing a weapon,

pairing it with a hand held flash light and putting center mass hits on an armed suspect at night is much

more challenging than 7 yard static daylight target shooting.

Trigger control is the fundamental building block of accuracy and without proper trigger control,

shooters are much less likely to hit their intend target. Officers need to develop flash light skills to an

almost reflexive level through PERFECT PRACTICE to stop a threat in low light using hand held light in

conjunction with their duty weapon. The best thing law enforcement trainers can do to aid officers

accuracy in low light is to hold them to a VERY HIGH accuracy standard during daylight shooting

understanding the whole time that under stress and in conditions of low light their accuracy will degrade

from the peak daylight experience on the range.

However, research has shown the vast majority of law enforcement agencies do a poor job of teaching

the basic skills of pairing a handheld flashlight with a handgun or the even more difficult task of using a

hand held light with department issued patrol rifle or shotgun. Many of these same departments are

issuing/authorizing weapon mounted lights to be placed onto officers firearms then do a cursory job of

training their officers in the use of a tool that may save a life or cause a major lawsuit.

On the opposite end of the spectrum many more administrator are speaking out against weapons

mounted lights because they believe them a liability. They believe officers will either abuse their use by

directing traffic with a pistol mounted weapons light or that the training to use them is much too difficult

for their officer to master. But most administrators admit they have never use them on the range or

otherwise. An even greater number of bosses admit they have never even seen them used in practical

exercises on a range. Most administrator do not realize the difficulty in using any weapon in the dark

paired with any flashlight, much less having to make the determination if the target is a threat and if so

then make a shot that would stop the aggressor.

When officer are properly trained to use weapon-mounted lights in conjunction with hand held lights

their ability to determine the justification for use of force is most often increase and their ability to put

hits on threat targets are much more likely. Unintentional or even intentional shootings at night of a

non-threat suspect or shooting the suspect with a cell phone in their hand believed to be a weapon

becomes a major liability costing much, much more than the purchase of the weapon lights and training

plus the possible tragic loss of an officer or citizen. The liability for law enforcement does not increased

by putting the light on the rifle or the pistol, the liability comes from doing nothing or worst putting lights

on guns then not training the troops to use them.

Many of these bosses came up thru the ranks but probably before weapon lights were being used, so for

them it’s that attitude, “well when I was a troop we did it all with a RAYOVAC”. Others made their

superior rank thru testing so quickly that they never faced an unknown threat in an alley, so the only low

light shooting they have ever done is on the range with 2O other officers, all turning turn on their light

lights at the same time using the HARRIES technique yelling “stop police” then shooting on the whistle.

Unfortunately, it often it takes a tragedy within most agencies to get some one’s attention.

Administrators have to realize for them not to use the newest technology to keep their officers and

citizen’s safe is a failure on their part to equip and train their officers. The hand held light assist officers

1. Searching

2. Navigating

3. Threat identification

4. Control

5. Communication

However, the weapon mounted light is not intended for searching, communication, and navigation, but

control and threat identification. It should be used to verify the threat, control the suspect and make the

shot if necessary. The principle always stays the same though. Light on for identification, decide

shoot/no-shoot, light off and move. It should be considered a part of your department’s weapons system

rather than a simple illumination device. When searching and navigating it has limited use if not used in

conjunction with a good hand held light and good tactics.

The reasons for use of a weapon mounted light on a pistol or rifle are the same with as with a hand held

flashlight paired pistol in the dark to:

1. Locate a threat

2. Identify the threat

3. Degrade the night adapted vision of the threat to make the apprehension or necessary

4. Frees up the support hand

action

If you have administrators who don’t believe, don’t understand or believe but need proof, have them

attend the some realistic low light training. Put them through a stress induced realistic live fire course

and get them to use a patrol rifle without a mounted light, id a threat at 35 feet (gun, knife, broken

bottle, VS: phone, wallet, hair brush) with whatever light they currently carry. If they don’t have a light

ask them to run the course in the dark with just their pistol and available light. Have them run a

complete tactical course using any of the modified light techniques WHILE trying to identify a deadly

force threat, moving and shooting, shooting from cover, etc…and get hits are threat targets. Then let

them run it with a weapon mounted light backed up with a good 200+lumens hand held. Have them in

engage a steel threat /no threat target with a patrol rifle from 100 yards away no light/ hand held light/

weapon mounted light. They will be convinced all by themselves.

If they still don’t believe there is a place for weapon-mounted lights supported by hand held lights, ask

them why, what is their reason for not equipping their officers, advise them to write down all their

excuses, as they will eventually need them to testify to in court.

John Myer with TEAM ONE advises, “The weapon mounted light does not replace the hand held tactical

or patrol light it compliments it.” Myers gives the following commentary.

The gun-mounted light enhances an officer's ability to identify and engage a target IF THE OFFICER HAS

JUSTIFICATION/REASON TO HAVE THEIR GUN DRAWN IN THE FIRST PLACE. The justification for drawing

and pointing the firearm SHOULD NOT CHANGE SIMPLY BECAUSE THE OFFICER HAS A LIGHT ON THE

FIREARM. When mounted to the gun, the light becomes part of a weapons system. Therefore, officers

must be taught to point the light-equipped firearm weapons system in a safe direction at all times, and

point the light-equipped firearm at someone only when justified. Once drawn, however, the light-

equipped firearm carried at a ready position can and should project sufficient ambient light for

navigation

1. Carry a primary flashlight in addition to your weapon-mounted light.

A weapon-mounted light does not eliminate the need for a primary flashlight. At no time should

you be forced to draw your weapon solely because you need illumination…for obvious reasons.

Once a light is mounted on a weapon, it should be considered part of a law enforcement weapon

SYSTEM, not simply a source of light.

2. Carry the appropriate holster.

Be sure you are equipped with a holster specifically designed to accommodate your weapon-

mounted light. Being forced to remove your light before holstering hinders your ability to

promptly de-escalate and may force you to handle a loaded weapon in a manner that could be

dangerous.

3. Avoid mounting your light when your weapon is loaded.

It's best to always abide by the policy that nothing, including any part of your body, should pass

before the muzzle of your loaded weapon unless you plan to shoot or destroy it.

4. Ensure sufficient ambient lighting.

Be sure that your weapon-mounted light issues enough ambient light to illuminate the peripheral

while your weapon is held in low-ready position or off to the side of the target you want to see.

This will help you avoid the need to point your weapon directly at a subject or location simply to

illuminate it. Again, it's best to abide by the rule that nothing should be in line with your muzzle

unless you are in a situation that would justify your use of deadly force. At no time should you be

pointing your weapon at a subject simply as a means of illuminating him in a situation that does

not warrant the presentation of that level of force.

5. Train for the realities of low-light situations.

Officers operate in low-light conditions more than they actually fire their weapons in those

settings. Be sure that your training isn't solely focused on firing your weapon. It must also include

substantial focus on all other low-light operational issues.

However, should an officer be forced to use a weapon mounted light to challenge or engage a threat

generally the officer should employee the LIE principle in low light.

LIE stands for:

1. Locate

2. Identify

3. Engage

½ second burst of light to locate a potential threat

1 second burst of light to determine whether or not the potential threat you located needs to

be engaged

Pulling the trigger if justified, then turning off the light in order to move, then starting the

whole process over again to reevaluate the threat.

After each of these steps you MOVE so as not to be in the same location as the light or the

muzzle flash (Muzzle flash is also a target indicator)

Now this process if done at speed is extremely difficult for the suspect on the other side of the

light to figure out.

How do we avoid accidental discharge or improper use of the light?”

Through policy and training. Your departmental policies that pertain to the display, draw, or use of

firearms should not need to change with the introduction of weapon lights. The use of the light will be

only in conjunction with the use of the firearm. It should be made clear to officers that they have not

been issued a new flashlight. They have a “tactical illuminator” on their firearm to assist in “target

identification and acquisition”. There is no reason to use the light as a conventional flashlight (looking

for property, directing traffic, etc.). Use the same policy that would discipline an officer for drawing their

weapon unnecessarily for improper use of the weapon mounted light.

Bottom line: It is our job to teach safe weapons handling as firearms instructors. We are capable of

adding the element of safe light use.

Resources

1. Flashlights and Liability by John G. Peters, Jr., M.S., M.B.A. and Michael A. Brave, Esq., M.S.,

C.P.S., C.S.T.

2. HANDHELD FLASHLIGHT TECHNIQUES Ken J. Good

3. Low Light Essentials. John_Wayne777 from AR15.com

4. MARIETTA POLICE DEPARTMENT – FIREARMS TRAINING

5. www.surefire.com/lowlighttraining

6. Daniel S. Danaher, Executive Board Member, Tactical Encounters Inc.,

7. VISION AND SHOOTING Edward C. Godnig, O.D., FCOVD

8. John Myer Team One

Ken Farren a 33 year LE veteran and certified FBI, DPS, and NRA Firearms Instructor specializing

in Close Quarters, Low Light, and SWAT Tactics and has instructed LE officers and SWAT teams

across the US and aboard. Ken has instructed at ten IALEFI conferences in Shoot House Tech,

Confined Space Engagement and Instinctive Shootings. Ken owns "Shooter's Edge" a private

firearms instruction business and is a Law Enforcement Training Specialist for the Evans group

representing SureFire, Trijicon and Mossberg.

Sammy1
10-13-2015, 07:02 PM
Voodo man, outstanding !

DpdG
10-13-2015, 08:41 PM
VDM- Thank you! that is the type of article I desperately needed. I've been struggling to find supporting documentation other than "common sense says having two hands on a gun is better than one."

All else- Thank all of you for your continued help, it is greatly appreciated. Please keep suggestions, comments, and concerns coming. I want to get this proposal right the first time, as I don't think we'll get another chance under the current administration if we were to flub it.

-G

LSP552
10-13-2015, 08:57 PM
That is very simply a horrible idea to have written in policy, or even to mandate in training.

Completely agree. In general, I'm against the concept of policies so detailed they tell an officer how many sheets of toilet paper is authorized per visit. We are all different and a lot of things can be personal preference. I like the analogy of painting the white lines on the highway, providing guidance on limitations and boundaries but allowing freedom to drive the car.

Sammy1
10-14-2015, 06:27 AM
I agree to a point but I had to fight to get WML authorized. I obtained P/P from all across the State and that was one common point among all of them plus a valid training point. As far as CALEA during one of our reviews one of the reviewers had a problem with our off duty gun policy and we lost off duty guns for a couple of years. His issue was not having certified armorers for every brand of pistol allowed (I'm sure it isn't a CALEA standard, more likely something from his own PD but he had the Chief's ear). Now we only allow Glocks for off duty guns. We are required to have the off duty gun approved, registered with the PD, inspected yearly and qualify with them semi annually, Dept. issued ammunition only.

stinx
10-16-2015, 08:36 PM
My agency issues wml to all patrol officers, we train to only activate the light with the support hand thumb. We don't mandate that by policy, we also issue each officer a handheld 600 lumen surefire light with holster and lanyard. All officers receive 4 hours classroom and then 4 hours range time with the wml. After the initial training Officer get 4 hours per year on low light tactics/training . Offices are trained in the Harries, Surefire/Rogers, Neck Touch, and modified FBI technique as well as the operation of the wml. We start almost every exercise with the WML with the officer holding the handheld light, then transitioning to the wml depending on distance etc. YMMV