PDA

View Full Version : Inside an FBI Hostage Crisis - WSJ.com

GJM
10-10-2015, 12:58 PM
http://graphics.wsj.com/hostage/

behind a pay wall, but an excellent read

JHC
10-10-2015, 05:55 PM
Incredible read!!!! And I'm not a subscriber but it opened up from an Android tablet. So impressed by all involved.

Erick Gelhaus
10-10-2015, 09:17 PM
Opened up for me without a subscription.

JDM
10-10-2015, 09:37 PM

OldRunner/CSAT Neighbor
10-10-2015, 09:59 PM
http://graphics.wsj.com/hostage/

behind a pay wall, but an excellent read

Thx for posting that GJM, you were correct, it was a good read indeed.

YVK
10-10-2015, 10:08 PM
I had to give you a like and you know how hard it is for me.

jnc36rcpd
10-10-2015, 10:16 PM
FBI HRT did a debrief on this incident at the 2011 NTOA conference. The WSJ account pretty much conforms to what those guys told us. The agent who first attempted entry had been pulled back some feet to be evaluated by the medics. As soon as he was able, he sprinted to the shaft and jumped in. As we watched this on the drone video, a room of several hundred pipe hitters collectively gasped "Holy s#%t!". While we can debate woulda-coulda-shoulda, it was one of the bravest things I have ever witnessed in person or on video. (Video more likely for me.)

My dealings with the FBI are primarily with SWAT agents and firearms instructors at the range. I realize they have idiots in their agency like we all do, but I have incredible respect for those with whom I interact.

JAD
10-11-2015, 08:51 AM

When a subscriber copies the link given by the 'email this article' button on the desktop version of wsj, it's free to view. Does not work to my knowledge with the mobile version.

voodoo_man
10-11-2015, 10:39 AM
FBI HRT did a debrief on this incident at the 2011 NTOA conference. The WSJ account pretty much conforms to what those guys told us. The agent who first attempted entry had been pulled back some feet to be evaluated by the medics. As soon as he was able, he sprinted to the shaft and jumped in. As we watched this on the drone video, a room of several hundred pipe hitters collectively gasped "Holy s#%t!". While we can debate woulda-coulda-shoulda, it was one of the bravest things I have ever witnessed in person or on video. (Video more likely for me.)

My dealings with the FBI are primarily with SWAT agents and firearms instructors at the range. I realize they have idiots in their agency like we all do, but I have incredible respect for those with whom I interact.

I saw this video two years ago.

I had a similar reaction.

GJM
10-11-2015, 10:42 AM
When a subscriber copies the link given by the 'email this article' button on the desktop version of wsj, it's free to view. Does not work to my knowledge with the mobile version.

I couldn't find that link on this article, and just sent the URL, doing nothing special.

Chance
10-11-2015, 01:23 PM
That must have been a long four minutes in the operations center. Thanks for sharing.

awmp
10-13-2015, 10:26 AM
Good, detailed article, thanks for the link

GRV
10-13-2015, 11:34 AM

I saw this video two years ago.

I had a similar reaction.

Is this video public? If so, link?

Peally
10-13-2015, 12:32 PM
Is this video public? If so, link?

Yeah it'd be interesting to see, great article.

All I can find is stories about how the FBI used one and panicked paranoid comments about drones over US soil. People are stupid motherfuckers.

psalms144.1
10-13-2015, 01:26 PM
When I went through the FBI's negotiations course a year or two back, they featured this incident as a "war story," and had at least one of the on-scene negotiators there to narrate and debrief. Great work all the way around, and very impressive.

I'd give a lot to have my agency have the kind of resources and support it takes to develop this kind of capability in each of our Field Offices. As of right now, I'm one of TWO negotiators covering nine states. Needless to say, unless our Federal/State/Local partners show up, we're pretty much SOL on negotiations...

Chance
10-13-2015, 03:15 PM
When I went through the FBI's negotiations course a year or two back, they featured this incident as a "war story," and had at least one of the on-scene negotiators there to narrate and debrief.

Gary Noesner was an FBI hostage negotiator for 23 years. His book Stalling for Time: My Life as an FBI Hostage Negotiator (http://www.amazon.com/Stalling-Time-Life-Hostage-Negotiator-ebook/dp/B003EY7JE4/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8) is fantastic.

Irelander
10-13-2015, 03:16 PM
That is an amazing story. Thanks for sharing. If someone finds a link to that aerial footage, I'd love to see it.

GJM
10-13-2015, 03:29 PM
As of right now, I'm one of TWO negotiators covering nine states. Needless to say, unless our Federal/State/Local partners show up, we're pretty much SOL on negotiations...

I would think if you took over moderating Romper Room and the LE forums here at PF, you would get all the negotiating experience you would need to stay super sharp.

voodoo_man
10-13-2015, 03:38 PM
When I went through the FBI's negotiations course a year or two back, they featured this incident as a "war story," and had at least one of the on-scene negotiators there to narrate and debrief. Great work all the way around, and very impressive.

I'd give a lot to have my agency have the kind of resources and support it takes to develop this kind of capability in each of our Field Offices. As of right now, I'm one of TWO negotiators covering nine states. Needless to say, unless our Federal/State/Local partners show up, we're pretty much SOL on negotiations...

I need to buy you a beer....ive seen negotiating done and its definitely a talent.

psalms144.1
10-17-2015, 07:07 AM
I would think if you took over moderating Romper Room and the LE forums here at PF, you would get all the negotiating experience you would need to stay super sharp.I have four kids (the youngest are twins) and a Rhodesian Ridgeback. I get PLENTY of negotiating done on a daily basis...

BaiHu
10-17-2015, 08:23 AM
I'm just about to read this on a computer and I see audio/video at the top of the page. Perhaps a few snippets of what you guys are looking for are there? I'll report back. Time to dig in.

ETA: it's just a teaser of about 30 seconds long, but there's a lot of video clips along the way I'm watching.

JSGlock34
10-17-2015, 12:13 PM
Thanks for sharing. Gripping story.

Alpha Sierra
10-17-2015, 12:49 PM
An Alabama militiaman, calling himself Col. Crusher, showed up in fatigues and a beret, promising he could storm the bunker and save the day. He was joined by a community-college security guard dressed as a Texas Ranger. Police sent them both packing.

LOL