PDA

View Full Version : Add new member or introduction forum?

RJ
10-09-2015, 09:30 AM
I meant to post this suggestion in the pfestivus thread:

Would the site consider adding a "new member" or "introduction" sub-forum?

Today, I went looking for this, since I've now been here for a while, and thought it'd be nice to welcome some new members. I was surprised that we don't have something like that.

(or maybe, I either missed it, or you all have already decided not to have this?)

Anyways, just wanted to throw this idea out for consideration.

Most of the forums I'm on have some kind of area set aside for threads like this. I help out on another forum, specifically, where the owners recently reminded us all helpers to go into the new member forum, welcome new members, and, if needed, tow threads out to the appropriate sub-forum. Seemed like the new guys appreciated us doing that, and it helped with the community spirit.

Given the number of new folks entering the firearm world (like me), I think this would help enable p-f.com to be a positive destination on the web for students of the pistol.

Rich

Peally
10-09-2015, 10:07 AM
I just started spewing crap like I do on every forum :D

I agree that mandatory ones are a bad idea, but intro posts for people's background is always a good option

orionz06
10-09-2015, 10:19 AM
Mandatory ones are lame. I generally copy someone else's and change a few words.

Intro posts to me are as worthless as "signing" your name on a post. They all read "I've been a lurker for a while but finally decided to join. I look forward to learning so much more and will read more than I post."

The content people present and info they bring matters, not who they blog for or what they did when they were 20. If any of that is meaningful it comes out in their posts anyway.

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using an owl

BehindBlueI's
10-09-2015, 11:49 AM
I tend to ignore these on any forum I am a member of. If you contribute enough and I think you've got anything worth saying, I'll figure it out as we go or I'll click on your profile and see what it says.