PDA

View Full Version : MRO vs. RMR for carbine?

Little Creek
10-07-2015, 08:28 AM
Anyone have any expierence with the Trigicon MRO and/or RMR? If so, which would be most likely to work for tired old eyes?

texasaggie2005
10-07-2015, 09:17 AM
I have an MRO, and really like it so far. Compared to an Aimpoint H1 I used to have; 2moa dot pretty much looks the same, the increased field of view and adjustment knob on top are a plus, don't have any cons yet. However, I can't say anything about old eyes, as I'm only in my early 30's.

Little Creek
10-07-2015, 03:53 PM
I have an MRO, and really like it so far. Compared to an Aimpoint H1 I used to have; 2moa dot pretty much looks the same, the increased field of view and adjustment knob on top are a plus, don't have any cons yet. However, I can't say anything about old eyes, as I'm only in my early 30's.

Thanks, I just looked at one in a LGS, I like what I saw. Is yours on a carbine? If so, what mount did you use and is it absoulote co-witness or lover 1/3 co-witness? Is $410 plus tax a good price?

texasaggie2005
10-07-2015, 03:59 PM
Yeah, $410 is a good price. I paid $535 overnighted with a Trijicon absolute mount. I have mine on a carbine I've been building.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/07/7ce3adf41722c639af2cdc8b58509a5a.jpg

Little Creek
10-07-2015, 05:58 PM
Nice. I like the furniture.

JHC
10-07-2015, 06:02 PM
I just saw a MRO Saturday. The dot to my eyes was vastly better than the Aimpoints, Eotechs, other RMRs, I've tried. It's the 1st RDS I've seriously considered.

breakingtime91
10-07-2015, 06:12 PM
I just saw a MRO Saturday. The dot to my eyes was vastly better than the Aimpoints, Eotechs, other RMRs, I've tried. It's the 1st RDS I've seriously considered.

Woah, really? I may have to take a better look at it..

JHC
10-07-2015, 06:21 PM
Woah, really? I may have to take a better look at it..

To expand I've just a small astigmatism but T1 dots look like a 12moa stripe at 100 yds. Eotech highly starburst pixillated. RMR like the Eotech but not quite as much. The MRO like a legit dot, barely pixillated at all. I've heard better eyes see a perfect dot.

breakingtime91
10-07-2015, 06:25 PM
To expand I've just a small astigmatism but T1 dots look like a 12moa stripe at 100 yds. Eotech highly starburst pixillated. RMR like the Eotech but not quite as much. The MRO like a legit dot, barely pixillated at all. I've heard better eyes see a perfect dot.

I was hesitant to even consider one because I didn't really care for my h1 but you may of just changed my mind.

Default.mp3
10-08-2015, 10:15 AM
To the original question, the MRO is the superior optic for a carbine on paper, as it has an enclosed emitter and is cheaper than the RMR.

The only problem for me is that in the two MROs I've handled, there is noticeable distortion (magnification?) in the sight picture, more so than with the RMR, which already has some; my Aimpoint T1 exhibits no noticeable distortion, FWIW. I do agree that the dot is round and well-defined; I use corrective lenses (not sure if I have astigmatism in my right eye, if I do, it's quite mild, as my prescription only has toric lenses on my left eye), and the T1 looks like a comma, though the RMR is also nice and round.

ASH556
10-08-2015, 10:27 AM
To the original question, the MRO is the superior optic for a carbine on paper, as it has an enclosed emitter and is cheaper than the RMR.

The only problem for me is that in the two MROs I've handled, there is noticeable distortion (magnification?) in the sight picture, more so than with the RMR, which already has some; my Aimpoint T1 exhibits no noticeable distortion, FWIW. I do agree that the dot is round and well-defined; I use corrective lenses (not sure if I have astigmatism in my right eye, if I do, it's quite mild, as my prescription only has toric lenses on my left eye), and the T1 looks like a comma, though the RMR is also nice and round.

+1 on the distortion/magnification. I've witnessed this with the samples we have in the shop as well as much more severe blue tint than the Aimpoint.

MVS
10-08-2015, 05:06 PM
+1 on the distortion/magnification. I've witnessed this with the samples we have in the shop as well as much more severe blue tint than the Aimpoint.

That is what I have been hearing as well. I was pretty excited for this optic, now I am going to make sure to check one out instead of just ordering it.

JHC
10-08-2015, 05:25 PM
I'm not sure I would recognize this distortion. What does it look like and what does it do?

JSGlock34
10-08-2015, 07:08 PM

I must admit, the reports on the distortion/fisheye have given me pause. The MRO interests me (particularly the consistent reports of a round dot, as my T1 appears somewhat distorted to my eye) but I'll need to inspect a sample before I commit.

StraitR
10-08-2015, 11:42 PM
A co-worker bought an MRO last week, and had it delivered at the office. We only looked through it for a few minutes, but we both agreed that it had clear magnification at 50 yards, and I would guess about 1.5x based on what that looks like through my TR24. It has a blue tint, but not unbearable, and mostly around the edges like my T1. The dot was nice, love the FOV as well as the adjustment knob on top (more positive clicks than my T2), but not a fan of the exposed windage/elevation screws, even if flush mounted.

Time will tell on durability, but Trijicon has a good track record. I think he paid $450 from Optics Planet with absolute co-witness. Either way, I'm glad to see a worthy competitor to the micro series in the market.

Default.mp3
10-09-2015, 12:00 AM
I'm not sure I would recognize this distortion. What does it look like and what does it do?Basically the image from your left eye and your right eye will not mesh very well, as they're slightly different. Jumps out to me immediately, and definitely fucked with me a little. I'm sure it's something that can be trained over without too much issue, and it's a non-issue if you're one of those people that closes one eye to use a red dot (which is technically the wrong way to use them, I suppose). IIRC, there was a very noticeable blue tint, but I have that same issue with my RMRs, and the tint issue doesn't really bother me at all.

JHC
10-09-2015, 06:41 AM
Basically the image from your left eye and your right eye will not mesh very well, as they're slightly different. Jumps out to me immediately, and definitely fucked with me a little. I'm sure it's something that can be trained over without too much issue, and it's a non-issue if you're one of those people that closes one eye to use a red dot (which is technically the wrong way to use them, I suppose). IIRC, there was a very noticeable blue tint, but I have that same issue with my RMRs, and the tint issue doesn't really bother me at all.

Thanks! I did not notice that with two eyes open but maybe my brain adjusts for it based on monovision contacts for years.

I was also struck by how the body/tube of the sight seemed almost ghost ring like and the field of view seemed wide open.

Gray222
10-09-2015, 07:33 AM
I have both...

http://i.imgur.com/nFiET9o.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/BS7eEx5.jpg

The RMR is pretty damn good, difficult to say anything bad about it, but its not designed (in my opinion) to be a dedicated rifle optic, especially on a 16inch gun.

The MRO I still have to put some time behind, though initially its pretty much the Aimpoint killer they market it to be, in my eyes and at first impression, only time will tell what happens.

LittleLebowski
10-09-2015, 08:09 AM
Aimpoint's pricing and lack of technological advances have made their market share ripe for the plucking. My next RDS will be the Primary Arms Advanced Micro (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OD2L62M/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B00OD2L62M&linkCode=as2&tag=ratio07-20). Follow that link and you can get it with a mount for $200 out the door (Prime). 5 year battery life and I just had a conversation yesterday with one of the world's top carbine trainers on his experience with these things and his reports were absolutely positive.

Gray222
10-09-2015, 08:35 AM
Aim point's pricing and lack of technological advances have made their market share ripe for the plucking. My next RDS will be the Primary Arms Advanced Micro (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OD2L62M/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B00OD2L62M&linkCode=as2&tag=ratio07-20). Follow that link and you can get it with a mount for $200 out the door (Prime). 5 year battery life and I just had a conversation yesterday with one of the world's top carbine trainers on his experience with these things and his reports were absolutely positive.

This is the new version right?

The older version sucked really badly...I still have one that works...sometimes...

LittleLebowski
10-09-2015, 08:38 AM

The older version sucked really badly...I still have one that works...sometimes...

I have not personally examined Uncle Pat's Primary Arms RDSs' but he told me over the phone yesterday that they were the Advanced Micros and neither he nor his students could break them.

Gray222
10-09-2015, 08:45 AM
I have not personally examined Uncle Pat's Primary Arms RDSs' but he told me over the phone yesterday that they were the Advanced Micros and neither he nor his students could break them.

I've held off doing a review on the old gen because it'll just be an entire review of me saying how much it sucks compared to other RDS on the market...https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_Arms_Micro_Dot_Removable_Base_Gen_II_NV_p/md-rbgii.htm this one specifically. The one you posted looks like the holosun version, which I like but have a really hard time going after when an aimpoint pro is $150 or so more than an an MRO isn't that much more after that...

LittleLebowski
10-09-2015, 09:02 AM
I've held off doing a review on the old gen because it'll just be an entire review of me saying how much it sucks compared to other RDS on the market...https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_Arms_Micro_Dot_Removable_Base_Gen_II_NV_p/md-rbgii.htm this one specifically. The one you posted looks like the holosun version, which I like but have a really hard time going after when an aimpoint pro is $150 or so more than an an MRO isn't that much more after that...

I believe you are correct, the Holosun (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KOOEZ6W/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B00KOOEZ6W&linkCode=as2&tag=ratio07-20) and the PA Adv Micro are one and the same but the Holosun is cheaper. When the time comes, I will pick one or the other based upon company customer service reviews.

Gray222
10-09-2015, 09:48 AM
I believe you are correct, the Holosun (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KOOEZ6W/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B00KOOEZ6W&linkCode=as2&tag=ratio07-20) and the PA Adv Micro are one and the same but the Holosun is cheaper. When the time comes, I will pick one or the other based upon company customer service reviews.

Sweet, do a review while you are at it and maybe let me know when you are ready to pass it along so I can do a review ;)

WobblyPossum
10-09-2015, 09:54 AM
Is the only difference between the Primary Arms advanced microdot and the Holosun the location of the battery compartment? With the battery compartment on the Holosun being located in the base of the sight, you'd have to remove the sight from its base to change batteries. How well does it return to zero?

I want to buy an RDS for my patrol rifle. The Aimpoint Micros are out of my price range. Eotechs have their known issues. I was leaning towards an Aimpoint PRO but then the Trijicon MRO came out and the price looks great. Now you have me looking at Primary Arms and Holosun too. If the Primary Arms is as good as you're making it sound, I'd be able to get one for each of my ARs for the price of an MRO.

Does anyone know how the dot on the Primary Arms looks to people with astigmatism? Aimpoint dots look like starbursts to me. I've been hearing that the MRO dot looks much more dot-like to people with astigmatism.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HCM
11-19-2015, 02:43 AM
https://www.facebook.com/militaryarms/videos/1089441331067665/?fref=nf

The military arms channel is reporting via their Facebook page that they are getting about a 50% return rate on MRO optics due to issues with the battery compartment. Apparently is's very easy to bend or crush the contacts when installing the battery.

I am interested in one of these. However looking through a sample there was noticeable fisheye type distortion around the edges of the field of view.

punkey71
11-19-2015, 08:47 AM
Does anyone know how the dot on the Primary Arms looks to people with astigmatism? Aimpoint dots look like starbursts to me. I've been hearing that the MRO dot looks much more dot-like to people with astigmatism.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have astigmatism, a T-1 and a PA MD06.

Without glasses they look like equally shitty blobs.

Harold

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

breakingtime91
11-19-2015, 08:49 AM

The military arms channel is reporting via their Facebook page that they are getting about a 50% return rate on MRO optics due to issues with the battery compartment. Apparently is's very easy to bend or crush the contacts when installing the battery.

I am interested in one of these. However looking through a sample there was noticeable fisheye type distortion around the edges of the field of view.

I would wait for gen2

LittleLebowski
11-19-2015, 08:58 AM

At this point, I'll take a Primary Arms and pocket the savings.

texasaggie2005
11-19-2015, 09:03 AM

I had no issues when I installed the battery in mine. But I can see how some ham-fisted dude could accidentally break a tab.

FWIW, I really like mine. A guy on M4Carbine ran some optical tests on his, and found some pretty interesting things. (http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?172442-New-Trijicon-RDS&p=2207477#post2207477)

breakingtime91
11-19-2015, 09:50 AM
Texas,
But a 1/2 return rate? The connectors shouldn't be that fragile to begin with, especially if they wanted to get some mil market for their red dot. Marines/army infantry are not known to be gentle, hence the reason they gave us acogs =D . No batteries to change, no variable zoom to mess with, and a bomb proof optic with a stupid easy mount.

texasaggie2005
11-19-2015, 10:03 AM
Texas,
But a 1/2 return rate? The connectors shouldn't be that fragile to begin with, especially if they wanted to get some mil market for their red dot. Marines/army infantry are not known to be gentle, hence the reason they gave us acogs =D . No batteries to change, no variable zoom to mess with, and a bomb proof optic with a stupid easy mount.

Yeah, if the reported 50% return rate for battery issues is true, that is troublesome and indicative of a poorly thought out design.

I'll take a picture tonight of mine with the battery in & out.

breakingtime91
11-19-2015, 10:03 AM
Yeah, if the reported 50% return rate for battery issues is true, that is troublesome and indicative of a poorly thought out design.

I'll take a picture tonight of mine with the battery in & out.

awesome thank you!

texasaggie2005
11-19-2015, 10:15 AM
awesome thank you!

No problem.

And FWIW, I've already managed to drop the stupid thing out of a deer stand, banged it on the steel ladder a few times and dropped it on a concrete step. Plus sat uncovered in a thunderstorm for a couple hours. Dinged up the battery cover real good. No loss of zero or any signs of issues.

texasaggie2005
11-19-2015, 07:25 PM
You'll have to excuse the crummy cell pics. But one with battery, and one without.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/19/098f5c510a55789487bcc28af178152c.jpg

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/19/30f726012d0cf785e592ca922b13a1dd.jpg

JAD
11-19-2015, 10:09 PM
I've published on battery contacts. Those are quite possibly the worst I've ever seen.

breakingtime91
11-19-2015, 10:11 PM
I've published on battery contacts. Those are quite possibly the worst I've ever seen.

can you expand? I don't have a dog in this fight but I am curious.

JAD
11-19-2015, 10:18 PM
Sure. They stand straight up and if I'm reading them right are designed to comply outward to the diameter of the battery. That means if you get the battery sideways at all it will be really easy to fold them over past their yield limit so they lose their compliant force (if you manage not to totally shrek crush one and make it impossible to insert the battery). Eventually that will lead to failure under vibration, and then just plain ol' failure.

I guess it's good they're sort of redundant, but since they supply each other with compliant force that's limited.

I'd like to take one apart to see, but it doesn't even look that cheap -- just dumb.

I suppose it doesn't matter much since battery changes should be annual at worst with an RDS. But I'd be real careful about placing and preloading the battery.

S.W.
11-20-2015, 01:24 AM

The brightness adjustment buttons on mine stopped working after two weeks just going to a static range. Even with fresh batteries I couldn't turn it on. They did ship me a new one free of charge though.

MVS
11-20-2015, 06:00 PM

I was ready to buy one at my LGS. The owner got it out of the box and went to put the battery in so he I could try it out. He promptly broke off a couple of the tabs. It worked, but still. His comment was, "so much for being an Aimpoint killer".

JAD
11-20-2015, 06:01 PM
That is /awesome/.

Dagga Boy
11-20-2015, 10:44 PM
I kind of avoided this due to my work with Aimpoint. With that said, I am very familiar with lots of optics, have used many of them operationally and see a ton based on the work I do. It is rare to hear me say anything negative about Trijicon, as they make great products and the ACOG is one of my favorite mid-range optics. Essentially, as soon as we get out of red dot range, I like the ACOG. Some stuff does need to get dispelled.

When the SRS came out it was the Comp M4 killer.........it wasn't. Good optic and I would take one over an E/O tech, but not an M4 killer.
When the MRO was released, it was the Micro Aimpoint killer........sorry folks, it isn't. Over an E/O tech....all day. Over a T2, only if price was my only criteria.

Every experienced Aimpoint user I have talked to has a mirror experience to mine.....when you look through the MRO with both eyes open and focused on the target like you are supposed to be with these things, it seems distorted and slightly magnified giving an annoying fisheye effect. Close an eye or keep a hard focus on the MRO dot, not as bad.....but that is not optimal use. Also, as far as Aimpoint not being technically advancing. Wrong. The size of the electrical connections inside a T2 are significantly bigger than those of previous Micro's. They have helicoiled the screw holes and done a huge improvement on the glass........it didn't make it cheaper...sorry, but I think JAD would be impressed with the electronics, which you can't see. There is not a breakage issue with battery connections. We got it right the first time around and improved them with the T2. We also have recoil lugs. I have not seen an MRO off the mount, but it doesn't appear to have any....we'll see if it is an issue.

So.......buy what you want. Decide how much certain performance features and internal construction is worth to you. Decide from there. A lot of people are saying the MRO is "just as good as a T2" but for a lot less money. I have heard this before with other things.........usually isn't the case.

rob_s
11-21-2015, 08:11 AM
Y pays your money and you takes your chances.

Some folks are driven by aphaving the latest bright shiny object.

Some folks are driven by thinking they got "as good as" for less.

Some folks (like me) are too stupid to know better and are still trucking along with 5+ year old Aimpoints, which I'd still take over any other red dot on the market other than a more recent Aimpoint.

The optic market is becoming like the flashlight market: everyone is looking for an excuse not to buy the (A) answer, but outside some snowflake/budget made up reasons the answer is still Aimpoint and Surefire (and Colt and Glock, btw).

breakingtime91
11-21-2015, 12:48 PM
Y pays your money and you takes your chances.

Some folks are driven by aphaving the latest bright shiny object.

Some folks are driven by thinking they got "as good as" for less.

Some folks (like me) are too stupid to know better and are still trucking along with 5+ year old Aimpoints, which I'd still take over any other red dot on the market other than a more recent Aimpoint.

The optic market is becoming like the flashlight market: everyone is looking for an excuse not to buy the (A) answer, but outside some snowflake/budget made up reasons the answer is still Aimpoint and Surefire (and Colt and Glock, btw).

Or sig, hk, or beretta

jetfire
11-21-2015, 04:50 PM
To the original question of MRO vs RMR...I'd take the RMR for a lot of the reasons listed. That and I have a five year old RMR mounted on a carbine that's still, as we say, trucking along just fine. I get why Trijicon made the MRO, but for my use it doesn't really offer me anything that I can't already do with an RMR, or if I want a closed tube, an Aimpoint.

rob_s
11-21-2015, 09:38 PM
Or sig, hk, or beretta

Enter the snowflake answer...

breakingtime91
11-21-2015, 10:00 PM
Enter the snowflake answer...

Lol k bro

Eli
11-26-2015, 02:48 AM
+1 on the distortion/magnification. I've witnessed this with the samples we have in the shop.....

This isn't really a problem for me when actually shooting the gun, although it is a lot more obvious when just looking through the optic.

... as well as much more severe blue tint than the Aimpoint.

This however, played mary-fucking-hob this past weekend at a low light carbine course. In the dark, the blue tent on the MRO is basically the same color as gun-smoke. The humidity was keeping the smoke in the air pretty thick and after a half-dozen rounds or so, it became quite difficult to pick out details through the optic.

Eli
11-26-2015, 02:51 AM
Will say though, it's awfully cute...

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee95/ceelfi/bae.jpg

CWR
01-27-2016, 08:43 PM
I have both...

http://i.imgur.com/nFiET9o.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/BS7eEx5.jpg

The RMR is pretty damn good, difficult to say anything bad about it, but its not designed (in my opinion) to be a dedicated rifle optic, especially on a 16inch gun.

The MRO I still have to put some time behind, though initially its pretty much the Aimpoint killer they market it to be, in my eyes and at first impression, only time will tell what happens.

What mount are you running on the RMR?

Gray222
01-27-2016, 08:46 PM
What mount are you running on the RMR?

samson mfg ram mount

CWR
01-28-2016, 09:19 PM
samson mfg ram mount

Thanks.

Slavex
04-25-2016, 01:26 AM
Just got a new MRO yesterday, couldn't turn it down at the price. The factory mount is a tad low for me though, looking for something about 1/4 inch taller and QD, anyone have any recommendations?

Unobtanium
04-25-2016, 02:26 AM
I kind of avoided this due to my work with Aimpoint. With that said, I am very familiar with lots of optics, have used many of them operationally and see a ton based on the work I do. It is rare to hear me say anything negative about Trijicon, as they make great products and the ACOG is one of my favorite mid-range optics. Essentially, as soon as we get out of red dot range, I like the ACOG. Some stuff does need to get dispelled.

When the SRS came out it was the Comp M4 killer.........it wasn't. Good optic and I would take one over an E/O tech, but not an M4 killer.
When the MRO was released, it was the Micro Aimpoint killer........sorry folks, it isn't. Over an E/O tech....all day. Over a T2, only if price was my only criteria.

Every experienced Aimpoint user I have talked to has a mirror experience to mine.....when you look through the MRO with both eyes open and focused on the target like you are supposed to be with these things, it seems distorted and slightly magnified giving an annoying fisheye effect. Close an eye or keep a hard focus on the MRO dot, not as bad.....but that is not optimal use. Also, as far as Aimpoint not being technically advancing. Wrong. The size of the electrical connections inside a T2 are significantly bigger than those of previous Micro's. They have helicoiled the screw holes and done a huge improvement on the glass........it didn't make it cheaper...sorry, but I think JAD would be impressed with the electronics, which you can't see. There is not a breakage issue with battery connections. We got it right the first time around and improved them with the T2. We also have recoil lugs. I have not seen an MRO off the mount, but it doesn't appear to have any....we'll see if it is an issue.

So.......buy what you want. Decide how much certain performance features and internal construction is worth to you. Decide from there. A lot of people are saying the MRO is "just as good as a T2" but for a lot less money. I have heard this before with other things.........usually isn't the case.

How about the rheostat knob? Has it been beefed up on the t2 to make it a more durable component to trauma or abuse?

SteveB
04-25-2016, 06:29 AM
Just got a new MRO yesterday, couldn't turn it down at the price. The factory mount is a tad low for me though, looking for something about 1/4 inch taller and QD, anyone have any recommendations?

I have this one:

https://scalarworks.com/optic-mounts/ldm-mro/

texasaggie2005
04-25-2016, 08:44 AM

Scalarworks LDM/MRO. (https://scalarworks.com/optic-mounts/ldm-mro/)

Dagga Boy
04-25-2016, 11:12 AM
How about the rheostat knob? Has it been beefed up on the t2 to make it a more durable component to trauma or abuse?

Not that I can tell, but not sure about the internals. It still has play like the other micros specifically to take impact. I have never personally had an issue breaking one, never seen one break, and have not seen a huge issue with it or handled any complaints for places that issue them in large numbers. Have I seen ones that have been broken, yep. Usually took a blow that would break everyone else's, or injure the user so badly that it would not be much of an issue. Others have been damaged, but the Sint continued to function. If we were replacing a ton in warranty, changes would be made, but the numbers are not there that I am aware of.

Unobtanium
04-25-2016, 04:18 PM
Not that I can tell, but not sure about the internals. It still has play like the other micros specifically to take impact. I have never personally had an issue breaking one, never seen one break, and have not seen a huge issue with it or handled any complaints for places that issue them in large numbers. Have I seen ones that have been broken, yep. Usually took a blow that would break everyone else's, or injure the user so badly that it would not be much of an issue. Others have been damaged, but the Sint continued to function. If we were replacing a ton in warranty, changes would be made, but the numbers are not there that I am aware of.

Roger that. Aimpoont just replaced one for an officer because of that. Weapon flew out of the trunk during a wreck. The rest of the sight looked good, and still worked, but the rheostat knob was buggered and wouldn't retain the cap or battery. Saw it on my Facebook feed from P&S or the like. The rheostat failing to work (brightness is high and low onoy, basically, during the failures I ha e heard of) is the only failure I've ever heard of except a buddy of mine who's just died while shooting. Random one in a million, his. (T1). That, or the rheostat knob comes off when the rifle is dropped or otherwise suffers trauma. I always viewed it as a weak spot as it literally covers an entire axis of the optic and it made me nervous how it wiggles and flexes. But yiu say the play is to absorb shock? Normal?

My first ap was a comp m4, and the knob seemed super protected.

crabbysam
05-27-2016, 03:57 PM
I have this one:

https://scalarworks.com/optic-mounts/ldm-mro/

I own a couple carbines, one has a MRO and the other had an Eotech. One day on a whim I swapped my Eotech for my RMR that was orphaned when I sold one of my sidearms. I decided to give the RMR a fair shot and bought a ADM RMR-CO (quick release/absolute co witness, as this carbine has a FSB I refuse to remove) Anyway that RMR, as ridiculous as it looked a carbine, grew on me. Every time I pull it out I shake my head, but I can't stop using it. Now my Eotech is very sad these days. When the RMR's tritium is depleted in 10 years, I'll reunite him back on a rifle. :)

PS That Scalarworks mount is pretty awesome, never seen one before, if it performs as well as it looks, I'm buying one for sure. Thanks for posting that link, Texasaggie as well.

Sasage
05-27-2016, 04:29 PM
Larue has a QD, lighter than ADM.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

GJM
05-30-2016, 08:39 PM
My wife and I were shooting carbines this afternoon. With her glasses, as co pared to contacts, she found both a T1 and T2 to be very misshaped, and enough so, it negatively impacted her ability to shoot small groups at 50 and beyond (which normally is easy for her). She then tried the RMR on my Benelli, and saw a very nice shaped dot.

While not as rugged as a T1/2, makes me want to mess with a RMR some on a carbine.

JSGlock34
05-30-2016, 09:21 PM
When I zero my T1/T2, I usually flip up a rear aperture iron sight. I find it really helps refine the dot, particularly when I'm trying to focus on a small target for groups.

jwperry
05-30-2016, 09:29 PM
I'm just a guy. My gunning experience is as someone who likes to gun game and play run-n-gun, so take this as you will.

I've tried the RM08G (12.9MOA Green Triangle), RM01 (3.25MOA always on LED) & RM06 (3.25 adjustable LED). For comparison, I've also had time behind both the R1/H1 & the T1, the Comp M4S and to a lesser extent the Aimpoint PRO.

I found the Comp M4S to have the best dot, tracked the best and allowed me to shoot the most accurate at distance.

I found the RMRs and their very restrictive FOV to give me 'tunnel vision'. I found the dual illuminated reticule useless, which was really disappointing because I've never had a problem with my dual illumination TR24 or TR25. I was able to be more accurate with the RM06 when I could dial the brightness down; the compromise was speed at tracking the dot. I also hate that they're all "absolute cowitness" height (I don't shoot with irons much because of this) which causes me to crane &strain my neck. I find optics setup at the lower 1/3 cowitness height to be a much more natural position for me to come and shoot from.

I have an astigmatism and have given up with red dots, I'm spending my money on LPV optics now.

TAZ
05-31-2016, 07:28 AM
I think Pat MacNamara runs an RMR atop his carbine as the primary optic. He may be done with being sneaky and such, but I'm pretty sure he uses the crap out of his gear still. I had an 06 left over after trying it as an offset on my 18" AR. When I built a second lightweight carbine I bought an ADM Mount for it as a place holder of sorts till my MOS arrives. So far so good, but then I'm no carbine expert not do I run the crap out of my gear. I didn't find the FOV limiting and actually prefer it over the T1/2. For some weird reason those things make me feel like I'm looking through a straw (most likely due to lack of experience as I've only borrowed them). I wouldn't feel under equipped unsung one. Not sure what happened to the emitter during a rain storm though.