PDA

View Full Version : 9mm troubles

Rains on Parades
10-03-2015, 05:29 PM
First of all, I'm aware I'm probably over thinking this.

But I've wanted to switch from .45acp to 9mm for awhile now, and I'm in a position to do so now.

The things I wanted from a pistol are:
1) DA/SA with a hammer.
2) External safety.
3)Ideally a similar weight/size to my current USP compact or smaller.
4)9mm.

Being that I'm not really digging on the Sigs it kind of narrows me down to another HK(probably a p30), a Beretta 92 varient(of course that throws qualification #3 out the window), or a Beretta Px4 compact.

The HK is pretty much my perfect pistol, matching all of my qualifications and being very reminiscent of the pistol I already carry. But it's also $400-$500 more than the other two options(I can pay for it, but if I don't have to, I don't know that I want to). I don't like the safety on either of the Berettas. The 92 is much better and I think with a small amount of practice I feel like I can disengage it on a draw. But it is a full-sized all metal pistol and I'm just not sure how it will feel to carry. The Px4 seems great and the price is nice. But the safety is abysmal. I am not confident that even with practice I can get a full grip and disengage that safety on a draw.

I know everyone just prefers to run a G configuration on Berettas, or if not that, to just not keep the weapon on safe in the holster. But I do prefer an external safety and I prefer to use it.

I'm not asking anyone to solve my problem here. But if anyone has any insight I'm accepting wisdom.

Thanks in advance.

Up1911Fan
10-03-2015, 05:49 PM
I'm seeing used 9mm USPc's on GB for $600-700. Pretty sure a new P2000 can be had for that now as well.

Nephrology
10-03-2015, 05:51 PM
I would personally stick with the HK. Everything will be easier, albeit a little more expensive.

There is also the CZ-P07/9 to consider too.

Wobblie
10-03-2015, 08:37 PM
I'm seeing used 9mm USPc's on GB for $600-700. Pretty sure a new P2000 can be had for that now as well.

P2000 won't have the external safety. Get the P30S, you won't be sorry.

JDM
10-03-2015, 08:49 PM
P2000 won't have the external safety. Get the P30S, you won't be sorry.

A TDA P2000 doesn't have a thumb safety?

I've always kind of wanted an HK but their thumb safeties don't work for me at all. I wasn't aware they had a TDA gun without the safety.

nwhpfan
10-03-2015, 08:54 PM
Sounds like the perfect pistol for you is the one you already have....USP Compact.

breakingtime91
10-03-2015, 08:55 PM
A TDA P2000 doesn't have a thumb safety?

I've always kind of wanted an HK but their thumb safeties don't work for me at all. I wasn't aware they had a TDA gun without the safety.

Ya, p2000 has the decocker on the rear next to the hammer

JDM
10-03-2015, 08:57 PM
Ya, p2000 has the decocker on the rear next to the hammer

Awesome!

JDM
10-03-2015, 09:27 PM
Sometimes, you have to tell me things twice. Remember Shelly? Once you told me about her the second time, I had it, and I'll have it forever.

breakingtime91
10-03-2015, 09:33 PM
I don't want to be in the middle of this

kcevans
10-03-2015, 09:35 PM
The PX4 Compact has proven to be a great performing pistol.

JAD
10-03-2015, 10:07 PM
Sometimes, you have to tell me things twice. Remember Shelly? Once you told me about her the second time, I had it, and I'll have it forever.

Tom, can we have an 'awkward' button?

Rains on Parades
10-03-2015, 10:36 PM
The PX4 Compact has proven to be a great performing pistol.

The PX4 is actually my first choice. Other than the safety. It's just so awkward to disengage from a full grip on the pistol. If I was positive that I could get it with some practice then I would go for it. But I don't know how viable it is. It seems most people just change it to G or don't bother putting it on safe in a holster.

john c
10-04-2015, 12:05 AM
I agree that the G model is the way to go with Berettas. The risk of accidentally placing the pistol on safe during an immediate action drill makes the safety unreasonable.

Like others have said, if you like the USPc, why change? Get one in 9mm and be done with it. The chief reason to change to a newer design is if you want/need a light rail or changeable backstraps.

ReverendMeat
10-04-2015, 01:06 AM
Sounds like the perfect pistol for you is the one you already have....USP Compact.

Yep.

OP, you seem to have a pretty specific criteria. Get a USP 9 compact. They are not that expensive.

David S.
10-04-2015, 08:35 AM
Just curious, what don't you dig about the SIGs?

LittleLebowski
10-04-2015, 09:00 AM
Why not carry hammer down with the safety off?

Urban_Redneck
10-04-2015, 09:38 AM
I find the living is easy with CZ 75D compact (PCR aluminum frame).

Rains on Parades
10-04-2015, 10:52 AM
Just curious, what don't you dig about the SIGs?
It's something about my hand shape. My hands are average sized, but maybe more square, but I have to contort my grip really weird to use the controls. But I have also noticed that there is a lot of variablitiy between different sigs. So if you have a model in mind I guess I'm open to checking it out. Though they are generally pretty close to hk prices so I would probably just go that route instead. For everyone saying USP 9mm. USP prices are only about a $100-$200 bucks off of p30 prices around here, and to tell you the truth that is worth the price to upgrade to me.

I'm actually considering it.

LSP972
10-04-2015, 11:43 AM
I'm actually considering it.

You should. It will solve your issue. And you should go with a USPc 9mm. Do you REALLY want to downgrade???

And IMO, the P30 is no "upgrade". All it offers is better sights. As you noted, its trigger reset is much longer than you are accustomed to. I have all of these pistols you mentioned; I carry the HK45C, and while its nice that the P30 and P200 fit in the same holsters as the 45C, if I feel the need to tote a Euro-pellet launcher it will be the USPc 9mm.

Beat Trash
10-04-2015, 01:14 PM
If you want to run a light on your pistol, then get a P30. IF you want to run a light on your pistol and can live without a manual safety, then get a P2000. The decocker isn't bad once you get the hang of it.

If you don't plan on running a light on your pistol, then get a USPc 9mm.

breakingtime91
10-04-2015, 01:17 PM
You should. It will solve your issue. And you should go with a USPc 9mm. Do you REALLY want to downgrade???

And IMO, the P30 is no "upgrade". All it offers is better sights. As you noted, its trigger reset is much longer than you are accustomed to. I have all of these pistols you mentioned; I carry the HK45C, and while its nice that the P30 and P200 fit in the same holsters as the 45C, if I feel the need to tote a Euro-pellet launcher it will be the USPc 9mm.

Is the 45c pretty comparable to the p2000 when it pertains to feel?

LSP972
10-04-2015, 06:41 PM
Is the 45c pretty comparable to the p2000 when it pertains to feel?

Yes; the grip configuration is almost identical. The only real difference is that the "length" (as measured parallel to the bore axis) is longer- to accomodate the longer .45 ACP cartridge- and the trigger reach is commensurately longer.

ReverendMeat
10-04-2015, 08:23 PM
For everyone saying USP 9mm. USP prices are only about a $100-$200 bucks off of p30 prices around here, and to tell you the truth that is worth the price to upgrade to me.

I'm sure there's no shortage of people to tell me how wrong I am here, but I don't think the P30 is much of an upgrade over the USP outside of a more versatile rail and a customizeable grip. I would personally rather shoot a USP, especially if the USP costs less.

Alembic
10-05-2015, 06:21 AM
Another vote for the USPc9. DA/SA, I carry it AIWB, hammer down safety on. As a safety precaution, I made the switch from Glocks to DA/SA when I joined the appendix carry band wagon last year. The 45c/P2000 grip is a bit more friendly on skin than the USP grip texture, but I have not had any real issues with it against my stomach. It certainly does not tear up clothing.

JTQ
10-05-2015, 06:32 AM
The PX4 is actually my first choice. Other than the safety. It's just so awkward to disengage from a full grip on the pistol. If I was positive that I could get it with some practice then I would go for it. But I don't know how viable it is. It seems most people just change it to G or don't bother putting it on safe in a holster.

LittleLebowski wrote,
As LittleLebowski suggests, I suspect practically everybody carries their Traditional Double Action (TDA) guns with the hammer down, and the safety off, unless require to do so otherwise by their employer.

LSP972
10-05-2015, 07:56 AM
I'm sure there's no shortage of people to tell me how wrong I am here, but I don't think the P30 is much of an upgrade over the USP outside of a more versatile rail and a customizeable grip. I would personally rather shoot a USP, especially if the USP costs less.

If you're talking about the USP Compact, then I'm right there with you. The USPf (full size) is a bit too large for my hand. But a piece of advice… if cost is even a mild concern, then HKs might not be for you.

Just kidding… somewhat…;)

ReverendMeat
10-05-2015, 12:50 PM
If you're talking about the USP Compact, then I'm right there with you. The USPf (full size) is a bit too large for my hand. But a piece of advice… if cost is even a mild concern, then HKs might not be for you.

Just kidding… somewhat…;)

The prices on USPs and P2000s have lowered and are perfectly reasonable at ~650 or so. Even if I had money to burn, a P30 at 1k+ is not reasonable to me.

breakingtime91
10-05-2015, 01:02 PM
The prices on USPs and P2000s have lowered and are perfectly reasonable at ~650 or so. Even if I had money to burn, a P30 at 1k+ is not reasonable to me.

Ya, it seems like a good time to buy the p2000 series of guns.

psalms144.1
10-05-2015, 01:34 PM
This is a simple one for me. You want to keep size/weight roughly at or below your current carry, you don't care for classic Sigs, that means USPc or P2000. Of the two, the USPc is the only option with a manual safety, so if that's a "must have," your question is answered. I'll add that I'm a big fan of sticking with what you know and what works for you, so a transition from a USPc 45 to a USPc 9mm means just less recoil and more banging noise between reloads - nothing else to retrain. That's an easy "win" in my mind.

The CZ P07 is the only hammer fired pistol that I would offer as an alternative, due to its reputation for accuracy and great trigger, not to mention base price, but it's larger and heavier than either of the HKs, has a different manual of arms (safety OR decocker, not both in a single lever), and different magazine release - not a show stopper at all, but will require some retraining.

Let us know what you end up with!

LSP972
10-05-2015, 02:10 PM

Agreed. But you can find a NIB P30 for less than a grand. Still, in my estimation the only thing a P30 offers over a P2000 is two extra rounds and easier-to-see sights. Again, between those two and a USPc, in either caliber, I would choose the USPc.

Rains on Parades
10-05-2015, 04:50 PM
Thanks everyone for your input.

OnionsAndDragons
10-07-2015, 11:28 PM
I love my P30... but I wouldn't have it in addition to the 2 P2000s if I hadn't got a really good deal on it from a forum brother. And I wouldn't be crying over it.

I shoot the P2000 a little better cold, but the P30 a bit better in an extended session. I think this is all do to my interface with the grip and obviously is very user dependent.

As to your problem, it does sound like a USPc in 9mm is the easy answer. I would do some thinking on if the safety is really a deal breaker or not, though. There are a lot of great options if it isn't.

With all this talk of the USPc, I may have to consider one and a LEM kit for it... Maybe if I decide I don't like the VP9 it can have a regressive metamorphosis.