PDA

View Full Version : Price check on an 870P

Argus
10-02-2015, 11:47 PM
I've had my eye out for an 870P for a while now, and tonight I saw a used one at a local shop. It seems to be in good shape, really no wear to speak of. It's parkerized with walnut furniture, and has an 18" barrel with a bead. Serial number lookup indicates that it was manufactured in 1998. Price on it is $499, but I can probably get that down some.

I've seen a lot of recommendations to avoid the newer 870P's in favor of older ones. Is this 1998 specimen in the range of guns to avoid, or should it be good to go? Price wise, is $499 ridiculous, a little high, or a decent deal?

Any thoughts or opinions would be welcome.

breakingtime91
10-03-2015, 12:10 AM
I just got a 870p for 300 shipped..

breakingtime91
10-03-2015, 08:03 AM
Did you buy the one that was listed here in the FSOT section recently?

Ya but I've also seen a few online around 340

MD7305
10-03-2015, 08:24 AM
Keep an eye on http://summitgunbroker.com. I'm not affiliated with them but they seem to always have police trade in 870Ps for sale. Not too long ago they had some Vang Comp guns with Surefire lights.

Argus
10-03-2015, 09:10 AM
Cool, thanks. Sounds like the price is a bit high. I will keep an eye out.

LSP972
10-03-2015, 09:15 AM
The caveat regarding avoiding new 870s, AFAIK, comes from two areas; first, a general distrust of anything Remington since their acquisition by the Freedom Group- an impression I share- and second, the slow but sure degradation of the 870 due to cheapening the parts in an effort to improve bottom line profits. A prime example is the trigger group. I have no clue when this occurred, but at some point Remington changed that relatively important assembly from a machined metal item to a polymer molding. That said, I know of no instances of trigger group failures due to this. They do fail, but mainly due to spring breakage.

Of more concern is that communist safety lock addition. This is where the safety button at the rear of the trigger has a weird-shaped cut-out that allows one to insert a special tool (included with the gun), twist it a quarter turn, and now the trigger is locked. Dunno when that appeared, either, but the brand-new 870 with polymer furniture, 18" barrel with two-shot mag extension that I purchased in 2007 had it. I took one look at that and called in a favor to secure a older all-metal trigger group (it is a drop-in assembly; no fitting required).

This is exactly like that execrable lock mechanism that S&W adopted in their revolvers just prior to the turn of the century; a concept of questionable viability, coupled with cheap implementation, equals a recipe for potential disaster.

Anyway… sorry for getting long-winded; I tend to do that in these matters, but only because the situation is rarely simple. I will say that if I was in the market for another 870, I would certainly avoid anything made prior to 2000; and if that was not doable, I'd buy a Mossberg 590.

breakingtime91
10-03-2015, 09:33 AM
The caveat regarding avoiding new 870s, AFAIK, comes from two areas; first, a general distrust of anything Remington since their acquisition by the Freedom Group- an impression I share- and second, the slow but sure degradation of the 870 due to cheapening the parts in an effort to improve bottom line profits. A prime example is the trigger group. I have no clue when this occurred, but at some point Remington changed that relatively important assembly from a machined metal item to a polymer molding. That said, I know of no instances of trigger group failures due to this. They do fail, but mainly due to spring breakage.

Of more concern is that communist safety lock addition. This is where the safety button at the rear of the trigger has a weird-shaped cut-out that allows one to insert a special tool (included with the gun), twist it a quarter turn, and now the trigger is locked. Dunno when that appeared, either, but the brand-new 870 with polymer furniture, 18" barrel with two-shot mag extension that I purchased in 2007 had it. I took one look at that and called in a favor to secure a older all-metal trigger group (it is a drop-in assembly; no fitting required).

This is exactly like that execrable lock mechanism that S&W adopted in their revolvers just prior to the turn of the century; a concept of questionable viability, coupled with cheap implementation, equals a recipe for potential disaster.

Anyway… sorry for getting long-winded; I tend to do that in these matters, but only because the situation is rarely simple. I will say that if I was in the market for another 870, I would certainly avoid anything made prior to 2000; and if that was not doable, I'd buy a Mossberg 590.

If I wouldn't of found the 870p I bought, a 590 would be in my safe

LSP552
10-03-2015, 09:40 AM
I think there is still a pretty big difference between an 870 Express and the 870P or Wingmaster. I'd avoid an Express model at all costs if you want the most robust, reliable shooter. I'm actually thinking about adding an 870 or two (P and Wingmaster), having gotten rid of mine when I started shooting over-unders and an 1187 for hunting.

Edited to add the last 870s I'e looked at didn't have that atrocious key lock trigger safety.

breakingtime91
10-03-2015, 09:41 AM
I think there is still a pretty big difference between an 870 Express and the 870P or Wingmaster. I'd avoid an Express model at all costs if you want the most robust, reliable shooter. I'm actually thinking about adding an 870 or two (P and Wingmaster), having gotten rid of mine when I started shooting over-unders and an 1187 for hunting.

summit has some!

LSP552
10-03-2015, 09:55 AM
summit has some!

Thanks BT. I've had good luck with them in the past.

DPris
10-04-2015, 11:49 AM
90% of the "New 870, Gotta Problem!" posts across the major gun forums concern the Express models.

There IS a difference between those and the 870P, and the P is very much worth the extra money.
Denis

Kyle Reese
10-04-2015, 01:51 PM
Keep an eye on http://summitgunbroker.com. I'm not affiliated with them but they seem to always have police trade in 870Ps for sale. Not too long ago they had some Vang Comp guns with Surefire lights.

I picked up a 1990 manufacture 870 Wingmaster with AZ DPS rollmarks from Summit for $179. Internally, there's very little wear. Great place to deal with.

DPris
10-04-2015, 02:02 PM
The Express gets a MIM extractor that has shown itself to be less durable than the machined P extractor.
The Express gets the polymer trigger group housing, instead of the aluminum trigger group housing of the P.
The Express has a persistent rust issue that the P does not.

Those are the major differences.

The P is intended for a market that demands a durable gun.
The Express is intended for a market that looks for a lower price.
Denis

DPris
10-04-2015, 03:17 PM
My newest P is a couple years old & has the alloy.
I may be behind on that.
I'll try to find out.

My gunsmith has gotten one plastic trigger group housing in that busted up in the area where the crosspins go through.
He's never seen a problem with the alloys.

I'd be surprised if the P uses plastic there now, but it's possible.
Denis

DPris
10-05-2015, 11:13 AM
Tom,
My Remington guy this morning says his LE division people tell him the P's trigger plate is still alloy.
That'd be my best info short of chasing one down in person. :)
Denis

DPris
10-05-2015, 12:05 PM
Happy to help.

My oldest 870 is a Highway Patrol Wingmaster trade-in, upgraded by Vang Comp. My second oldest is another PD trade-in from the 1960's that's been lightly re-built & SBS'd.
I have a 1990-ish Express that was one of the first Expresses & back then they had the same base quality, just a no-polish finish & basic wood. It's still running fine, been SBS'd & travels on desert & mountain ATV runs.

I have one newer P.
Excellent quality.

I've worked with a newer Express & it ran fine, for the limited amount of time I had it here.
But- was not up to quite the same standard as the older Wingmasters & the newer Ps.

There are those who like the Express models & if you're happy with one, it's your choice.
If I "needed" another 870, it'd either be old or a P. :)
Denis

LSP972
10-05-2015, 02:22 PM
If I "needed" another 870, it'd either be old or a P. :)

Agreed.

Blood_Brothers_2017
10-09-2015, 12:44 AM
I'm assuming it's the Remington 870 Police (Magnum ?)

There's okay, but why are you going to pay $150 more for one that can take larger shells ?

I've set aside $800 for My Custom Build.
Midways use 870 Barrel w/choke. *I've been considering using a Briley, most are less than $85.
It wasn't the color shown on the page, but i've seen a few services where you can actually ship them
the barrel, and they'll cerakote to your desired color. (Price Unknown) I'll see if I could add the webpage sometime.

I know, I know - MagPul was part of the issue, when Uncle Sam wanted to take away our (M85) Green Tipped 5.56mm rounds, but it was the only mfg. that has this color for a pump-grip. I've actually already purchased the M-Lok; at the recommendation of a local shop employee, I want to add the Streamlight 'GameSpotter' for a little more subdued lighting - still w/target aquisition. With the recent surge of 'curious criminals, I think it's something that would be less suspected. (Breaking into a house & having a low-hue green light would take a few moments to realize their mistake - the split second which may save your life !!).

I've also added an RCI Express 10-shot tube, some may ask "why", when they've already purchased one for an M2.
I like to know I've got 2-3+ shots than a standard tube, but i've always been a fan of heavier weapons. The test of endurance.
It would likely also benefit the shooter, should they have a shot or 2 of slug, given the length.

The 20 shot sling is a Blackhawk, and I can't say it enough, reloading isn't fun - unless you've already put 10 shots down range (for the shotgun's example). It would save room, than having something on a MOLLE Vest.

I've also added a Mesa Tactical 6 shell holder, for the side. I know it doesn't have ALL 6 there, but in stressful situations, I don't want to be fumbling around, (likely w/gloves on); for that little space gives you a little 'relief'. It's fantastic.

The stock is an ATI Tech. 'Marine Folding' /folder. The box it came in was pretty sweet, especially when putting it together.

Take down of an 870 is as simple as any standard 1911 or Glock / Beretta pistol. It's maybe 3-4 motions and you'll be able to
exchange ALL the parts i've listed.

Regarding the purchase, I ordered from a dealer in Cali (heaven forbid), but just helping the cause, as they're fighting as many gun restrictions as the Eastern Seaboard. Most local sporting goods, hunting stores will carry the 870 for a price of about $350.
I purchased this NEW and was shipped (total) for about $380.

I'm considering purchasing a Mossberg 500-series next. Still likely to wait until March, so I can set aside enough to have room for (less) upgrades, maybe just a different buttstock - maybe a 'Speedfed' (+2).

Thanks for looking !!!!

Blood_Brothers_2017
10-09-2015, 12:44 AM
Smart Shopper (here !)