PDA

View Full Version : 15x150 drill

Al T.
09-19-2011, 08:29 PM
Hi all,

Wanted a simple low round count drill that could be set up and run on my local range for new folks and as a standards drill for me. I read and re-read a lot of drills that are great drills, but either had higher round counts than I liked or wanted the shooter to do something a bit beyond where I wanted to go. A lot (98%) of the desire came from this fellows issues on the range with me. As noted by others, I needed to demonstrate the drill and explain the relevance of the drill to his desired level of training.

http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?1589-Working-with-a-stubborn-student-question....

So, I thought this one up for me and my local range. As usual, comments and criticism are encouraged and valued. Additionally, if I have poached someones drill inadvertently, please let me know and I'll give credit where it's due. Probably the most inspiration came from the "humbler" drill, noted here:

http://pistol-training.com/drills/the-humbler

15x150 drill:

At seven yards, shoot fifteen rounds in fifteen seconds (3 strings individually timed), score at least 80% hits on a standard 25 yard repair center.

Accuracy standard is 80% (105 points). Any hit beyond the 7 ring is a miss (off paper, 10 inch circle for the 7 ring). If all hits are in the black, minimum score possible is 135 points (90%). Max score 150 points (all ten rings). If all hits are in the 7 ring, max score is 105 or 80%. Target note, black is 5.5 inches across with the outer inch being the nine ring.

First string is both hands from either the holster or the shooters ready position. Beginners from the ready position.

Second string is SHO, from either the ready position or holster. Beginners from the ready position.

Third string is WHO from the ready position.

Time is cumulative, I.E., two 4 second strings and a 6 second (14 seconds) string is a pass, two 5 second strings and a 6 second string is a fail.

Notes:

Observation of the students accuracy/times can/should give some insight into areas that need work.

The black center rewards contrasting front sights.

Test is a bit deceptive and rewards two hand shooting and penalizes or creates a higher standard for WHO shooting.

Buddy of mine and I ran this drill several times. Very doable as long as you hit all the right moves at all the right times.

Obviously, increasing or decreasing the distance will vary the difficulty. Ten yards gets down right sporty if you keep the time limits.

I am very open to going to five yards for new folks. Thought process on the distance was that many folks know the "3 yards, 3 shots, 3 seconds" mantra. Double plus one (7 yards) and five rounds (IMHO) gives inexperienced folks a bit of a challenge.

Five rounds can be done/scored/timed for J frame shooters. (holy crap, just realized I could have shot this with my 340 today. I'm an idiot!)

jetfire
09-19-2011, 09:33 PM
Does "repair center"=8 inch circle?

Al T.
09-19-2011, 09:58 PM
Caleb, target is 10.5 x 10.5 inches (7 ring). Eight ring is eight inches across. Black is 5.5 inches across. Nine ring is the minimum score in the black with a 1 inch circle, 10 ring is 2.5 inches across, X ring is 2.5 inches across.

http://www.championtarget.com/targets/paper/precision/nra.aspx

Cheers!