PDA

View Full Version : Bad Day? At Least You're Not An Albino in Tanzania.

Chance
10-01-2015, 07:45 PM
Via The Atlantic (http://www.theatlantic.com/photo/2015/10/albino-children-in-tanzania-targeted-by-body-part-hunters/408469/):

In Tanzania, according to reporting from the Thomson Reuters Foundation, albino body parts are highly valued in witchcraft and can fetch a high price: “Superstition leads many to believe albino children are ghosts who bring bad luck. Some believe the limbs are more potent if the victims scream during amputation, according to a 2013 United Nations report.”

Emmanuel can recount his ordeal in hesitant English but has a severe speech impediment. His attackers chopped off one arm and the fingers of the other and tried to pull out his tongue and teeth. He stutters as he describes the attack, by strangers wielding machetes and a hammer as he played outside. He spent five months recovering in a local hospital.

TGS
10-01-2015, 08:20 PM
Sadly, this doesn't really surprise me when people with epilepsy are still viewed as "possessed" in uneducated cultures and killed.

This is the sort of shit that most Americans don't realize from living such aloof lives in a relatively sterile environment. We had an African military officer training with us one time, and he was sort of under the weather. We asked him what was wrong, when he lamented that he was missing a national holiday of sorts where they round up all the suspected gays for a week and torture them. He then described to us how he cut off gays' feet and left them in a desert, and put another gay dude's hand through a meat grinder.

The world is fucked up, boys.

1slow
10-01-2015, 10:40 PM
Did he survive training ?
Turd world countries.

johncorey
10-01-2015, 11:14 PM
"TIA."

BehindBlueI's
10-01-2015, 11:16 PM
The world is fucked up, boys.

Yup. It's amazing what atrocities people can commit when it's "whoever's strongest sets the rules." I get so sick of the "this country sucks" crowd in the USA. Go travel a bit, and not to touristy beach resorts. Go actually see some shit. Then come back and tell me how bad you've got it here.

Joe in PNG
10-02-2015, 02:18 AM
Witch murders are a popular thing still in PNG. The thought is, if someone gets sick, it's probably witchcraft. Kill the witch, make the sick go away. Torture them a bit first.
I'd normally say you guys had no idea, but sadly, most of you do.

Joe in PNG
10-02-2015, 02:21 AM
Yup. It's amazing what atrocities people can commit when it's "whoever's strongest sets the rules." I get so sick of the "this country sucks" crowd in the USA. Go travel a bit, and not to touristy beach resorts. Go actually see some shit. Then come back and tell me how bad you've got it here.

It's amazing the change to people when they come back to the USA. The tourist is the one getting picky about their coffee/tea/authentic cuisine, dropping foreign phrases into their normal conversation, and raving about how cool [location] was.
The expat is the one weeping tears of joy at Walmart.

Alpha Sierra
10-02-2015, 04:36 AM
The expat is the one weeping tears of joy at Walmart.

That depends entirely on which country one expats to. I don't have any experience in that regard, but my sister has miles and miles of it across several countries in S America, W Europe, E Europe, and Asia. Chile has been her favorite, by far.

Peally
10-02-2015, 08:16 AM
Remember this when we send soldiers to aid this shithole to bring it "civilization".

Drang
10-02-2015, 11:07 AM
Remember this when some dipstick starts in on cultural relativism.
FIFY

Peally
10-02-2015, 11:33 AM
#allculturesmatter

BehindBlueI's
10-02-2015, 11:51 AM
#allculturesmatter

Sure. Just like no person is useless. They can at least be an example of what not to do.

JAD
10-02-2015, 12:21 PM
That depends entirely on which country one expats to. I don't have any experience in that regard, but my sister has miles and miles of it across several countries in S America, W Europe, E Europe, and Asia. Chile has been her favorite, by far.

I've never been to Chile, maybe it's nice. I've spent months (in some cases years) each in 43 other countries, though, and they are all complete crapholes. I really don't understand people who don't get the concept of American exceptionalism.

BigT
10-02-2015, 12:28 PM
Not just a Tanzania thing. It's a continent thing. We call them muti murders here. Similar concept. We also have a huge problem with babies getting gang raped because the rapists believe that this will cure HIV.

Africa is not for sissy's.