PDA

View Full Version : Installing new sight on HK P30

Chipster
02-28-2011, 04:49 PM
How hard is this to do? I have done my Glocks for years and even without the factory rear sight tool it is fairly easy. I am more concerned with the front sight (pounding on it with a punch) being damaged in the install as I am going to order those high end Heinie Qwik sights. Any recommendations is much appreciated!

Chip

JohnN
02-28-2011, 04:57 PM
From everything I have read they are definitely tough to install. When I get my gun I may send the slide to Bill Springfield to install the Heinie's. I am not a cosmetic freak but I would prefer not to have dents in the side of the sights.

TCinVA
02-28-2011, 05:19 PM
My recommendation:

Send your slide to Heinie and let them do it. Trust me on this one.

F-Trooper05
02-28-2011, 05:22 PM
Don't try to install Heinies on a P30 yourself. More than one guy has f**cked up both their gun and their sights trying to do so. Either let a competent gunsmith in your area do it, or send your slide to Heinie.

TCinVA
02-28-2011, 05:36 PM
Emphasis above on COMPETENT gunsmith. Trust me on that one, too.

ToddG
02-28-2011, 05:52 PM
I installed Heinies on the pistol I'm carrying right now. It involved a file, some (now ruined) punches, a vice, and a very big mallet. 9

Lesson 1: If at all possible, allow a competent gunsmith to install your Heinie sights.

Lesson 2: If you cannot adhere to Lesson 1, do not allow ToddG to install your Heinie sights.

(it goes without saying, don't let TCinVA install any sights on anything)

JodyH
02-28-2011, 08:09 PM
mehhh.... a few battle scars never hurt anyone, gives the gun character.

ToddG
02-28-2011, 08:14 PM
mehhh.... a few battle scars never hurt anyone, gives the gun character.

Battling with a steel punch isn't exactly what I had in mind, though. :cool:

TCinVA
02-28-2011, 08:17 PM
(it goes without saying, don't let TCinVA install any sights on anything)

I've only broken a few guns by attempting to install sights.

...and a few sights.

...and a few punches.

...and a hammer.

...and a vice.

ToddG
02-28-2011, 08:19 PM
TC's bowling ball:
http://www.detroitfunk.com/2009images/december2009/SDC16988.jpg

Serpico1985
02-28-2011, 08:32 PM
I'm buying some straight eights for my hk45 and was planning on taking them to a local gunshop to have them installed. They are the oldest and biggest gun shop in my area (Charlotte, NC). A few of the "gunsmiths" I talked to at the shop hadn't heard of Heinies....

Should I be worried? They looked at them on the website and said they could install them. Anything specifically related to these sights that are unique?

Thanks

Chipster
02-28-2011, 09:21 PM
WOW! Through Heinie that is going to run me around $220.00! If I order the sights through Brownells I should pay around $105 (including shipping). I live near Neil Keller from Kustom Ballistics, I wonder if he would install them for me for like $50 or so?

Todd, stay away from tools! That is horrible, horrible, horrible.

I was hoping for someone to chime in that such and such sight tool would work but it doesn't look like that is a posssiblity. I will call Kustom Ballistics and see what they say and if that is a no go I guess I will pony up the dough for Heinie. Does anyone know if Heinie does the install will they be pretty much set up for POA/POI? Those factory sights sure do suck but wow, $220!

willowofwisp
02-28-2011, 09:56 PM
WOW! Through Heinie that is going to run me around $220.00! If I order the sights through Brownells I should pay around $105 (including shipping). I live near Neil Keller from Kustom Ballistics, I wonder if he would install them for me for like $50 or so?

Todd, stay away from tools! That is horrible, horrible, horrible.

I was hoping for someone to chime in that such and such sight tool would work but it doesn't look like that is a posssiblity. I will call Kustom Ballistics and see what they say and if that is a no go I guess I will pony up the dough for Heinie. Does anyone know if Heinie does the install will they be pretty much set up for POA/POI? Those factory sights sure do suck but wow, $220!

Brownells doesn't list the heinie for the hk45/p30 last time I checked, how can you get them?

Chipster
02-28-2011, 10:10 PM
Brownells will special order from one of their regular suppliers. Just call customer service and tell them the supplier part number. I have always done so as LE and they are very accommadating.

JohnN
02-28-2011, 11:10 PM
Brownells will special order from one of their regular suppliers. Just call customer service and tell them the supplier part number. I have always done so as LE and they are very accommodating.

You must have talked with the right person because when I called Brownells they said they couldn't get them:(.

Let me know what your experience is with Neil because mine wasn't all that great but that was ten years ago.

jslaker
02-28-2011, 11:30 PM
Battling with a steel punch isn't exactly what I had in mind, though. :cool:

If that's bad, you really don't want to see the Meprolights on my USPc after my local smith quoted me as much to install them as I'd paid for the sights.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_5XLLT_qPgmI/TWx2-fxnJkI/AAAAAAAAA2U/8gu03SGUIm0/s640/IMG_20110228_233204.jpg

They're on, they work, but they put up a fight getting there. Not exactly my finest home gunsmithing moment either way.

ToddG
03-01-2011, 12:02 AM
Bah. If I wanted pretty, I'd shoot a 1911.

SteveK
03-01-2011, 10:52 AM
Our group has come to depend on a mill to install sights. We just took an old bit and made a sight pusher out of it and clamp the slide into the mill. It's a simple task to push the sight in using the mill arm. Sometimes a little filing is neccessary but other than that it is a smooth set-up.

Makso9
03-01-2011, 11:55 AM
I have done a few sight jobs on various H&K products, yes even p30s. I don't often install Heinie's on H&K's, but I wouldn't think it would be any different than installing the meprolight n.s.

Instead of using a steel punch try using a brass punch on the sight. It won't cause those nasty craters in the side of your sight, or potential your slide. Brush of the excess brass with a brush or solvent, I use a clp. You might have to punch it a little harder, but you wont run the risk of damaging anything.

Last I recall H&K doesn't use the same type of method like Kahr arms or Springfield Armory to install there factory sights.

As for the sights, if you are a guy that gets mad at the way the sight looks with the crater marks, which you already stated you don't care, I would use maybe some g96 or aluma blue on your sights to reduce the chance of glare created by those dents and dings.

jslaker
03-01-2011, 12:32 PM
Instead of using a steel punch try using a brass punch on the sight.

I actually knew that. I just already had a steel punch set and was too impatient to order brass punches. :cool:

ToddG
03-01-2011, 12:36 PM
I now have a bunch of bent brass punches, because the sights were still so tight after filing and I was paranoid about filing them too much more and leaving them too loose. So instead, steel punch.

Ugly? Yes. Shoots well? Yes.
(yeah, I know I'm opening myself up for all sorts of jokes with that line...)

x-man
03-01-2011, 01:02 PM
Another place to send your slide (and barrel, recoil assembly) is Gray Guns. They seem to test fire and regulate the sights on their own pistol frames.

SteveK
03-01-2011, 01:10 PM
If I am not mistaken, doesn't the Heinie sights have dual set screws? I wouldn't think filing would be a huge issue as long as you file a little and check alot. Patience is usually the key.

ToddG
03-01-2011, 01:14 PM
Patience is usually the key.

What is this "patience" you speak of?

SteveK
03-01-2011, 02:39 PM
It's that Great White Buffalo that all men speak of, yet is hardly ever encountered.

Occam's Razor
03-01-2011, 03:08 PM
I've driven them on my Glocks (Hienie straight 8 tritium) with brass without too much problem or scarring. H&K probably is a tighter tolerance though. Haven't changed those out yet (now I may not do it myself).

jslaker
03-01-2011, 03:22 PM
H&K probably is a tighter tolerance though.

My Meprolights required judicious file usage to even begin to seat in the dovetail, FWIW.

ToddG
03-01-2011, 04:56 PM
It's that Great White Buffalo that all men speak of, yet is hardly ever encountered.

great white buffalo

JodyH
03-01-2011, 06:03 PM
A jewelers file, emery cloth, a brass/wood jawed vice, a hammer and some brass punches.
15 minutes of menial labor and you've done a professional job with no marring.

Or just beat the shit out of it with a bigger hammer like Todd and it looks like the Samsonite gorilla installed them.

Either way works.
:cool:

win_nut
03-01-2011, 08:55 PM
I bought one of those Uni-2ool sight install tools from Top Gun. It worked alright, alot more expensive than a punch. I have used it to install Heinies on my USP and reinstall the Meps that fell out of my new P30....I was not a happy camper when that happened.

Chipster
03-01-2011, 09:10 PM
jewelers file-check, emery cloth-check, brass punches-check, plastic covered vice-check, and 8 lb sledge hammer-check. I think I am going to try it the old fashioned way. If (when) I run into problems, gunsmith/machinist 10 minutes from my house.

Unfortunately I do not drink, so does anyone have any other way to relax in-between mental breakdowns/sight installations?

Patience (pun intended)- things that are in a large medical type building (hospital), but that's not important right now.

Curious that nobody damaged the front sight. What is up with that?

Chip

jslaker
03-01-2011, 09:25 PM
Unfortunately I do not drink, so does anyone have any other way to relax in-between mental breakdowns/sight installations?

Rapidfire. :D

Curious that nobody damaged the front sight. What is up with that?

Front sight went on relatively easy for me. There's a small nick in it from the punch, but nothing horrible. I barely had to file it down compared to the rear sight.

JodyH
03-01-2011, 09:59 PM
Don't think of it as "filing on the rear sight" tell yourself you are "polishing the rear sight".
It may take a while longer but you're less likely to have a loose fit.

I lightly sand the bottom of the sight with the emery cloth until I can push it 1/4 to 1/3 of the way into the dovetail with firm finger pressure.
"Hourglass" dovetails I try for 1/4 of the way with finger pressure, "tapered" dovetails I try to get closer to 1/3 of the way inserted with finger pressure.
I then coat the bottom of the sight with red Locktite and tap it into place with a brass punch.
I've never had one come off or drift.

Or you could just pound it into submission.
:cool:

John Ralston
03-01-2011, 11:14 PM
I have done all my own (Don't have an HK yet) - a good dovetail file with a "safe side" does wonders. Also, a nylon or brass punch as opposed to steel will keep the damage down. A bit of red loctite on the final installation (or the green wicking type) will keep it from moving even if you take a tad bit too much off.

Also, if you call Heinie, ask if they have any with the EZ Fit cut in the bottom of the dovetail. They mill a small cavity in the middle of the dovetail that allows the area to compress as it is driven in. The set I bought for an XD had it.

MechEng
03-02-2011, 06:30 PM
If you are going to use a brass punch then you need to use a big one like this. No patience required if you use a big enough hammer.

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g50/MechE_06/Misc/BrassSightPunch2.jpg

I grew tired bending all my smaller brass punches so I modified this big round punch, with a file, to have a squared off end. It fits between the dovetail slots of most handgun sights and transfers more energy into the sight than a small round punch. It's also less likely to jump off while you are pounding away at it.

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g50/MechE_06/Misc/BrassSightPunch.jpg

Chipster
03-02-2011, 07:03 PM
That is a great idea with the larger punch rather than the smaller round ones that bend badly. Looks like I am off to Mill Supply!

MechEng
03-02-2011, 07:14 PM
That is a great idea with the larger punch rather than the smaller round ones that bend badly. Looks like I am off to Mill Supply!

Mine started off as 1/2" diameter tapering to about 3/8" before I filed it square.

John Ralston
03-02-2011, 10:50 PM
That's the way to do it...I use about a 3/4" diameter piece of delrin to drive the sight 90% of the way in, then switch to the brass punch.

If you put a piece of electricians tape on the end of the punch, you won't have to clean all the brass transfer off the side of the rear sight either.

JohnN
03-04-2011, 01:33 AM
I contacted Gray Guns and they will install Heinie sights for $50.

Nikuraba29
03-05-2011, 06:42 AM
You must have talked with the right person because when I called Brownells they said they couldn't get them:(.

Let me know what your experience is with Neil because mine wasn't all that great but that was ten years ago.

This is also posted somewhere else. Special ordered heinies yesterday for 116.00 from Brownells, included $.99 shipping by using code CZP. Should be here in 2-4 weeks.

S/F

Chipster
03-29-2011, 04:18 PM
My gun should be on it's way to Heinie's to have the a new pair of sights installed shortly. Why you ask? Because I can't find the rest of the front sight (a nice solid hit that slid off the dovetail and onto the sight blade) on the gunshop floor. Also the rear sight does not look quite as bad as Todd's but not like it should. It should make my wife happy to learn that I have bought sights for the same gun twice! Bleeping Awesome!

JodyH
03-29-2011, 04:29 PM
More sand paper, less hammer.
:p

willowofwisp
03-29-2011, 05:48 PM
More sand paper, less hammer.
:p

or file haha

AHL
04-06-2011, 09:13 PM
When installing sights on the P30 what direction is recommended for the installing and removing? From a shooters perspective Left to right off and right to left on or vice versa?

JodyH
04-06-2011, 09:46 PM
The P30 has an hourglass shaped dovetail.
They can be installed from either direction.

AHL
04-06-2011, 09:55 PM
The P30 has an hourglass shaped dovetail.
They can be installed from either direction.

Thank you.