PDA

View Full Version : Hunting season is coming

LittleLebowski
09-30-2015, 07:31 AM
Let us discuss our plans and recipes.

Last year, I shot a young doe and at first, the meat had a very rich, almost liver flavor. I attributed this to me not hanging the carcass and bleeding it out. However, I watch and read everything Steve Rinella (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/081299406X/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=081299406X&linkCode=as2&tag=ratio07-20) creates and one thing he mentioned is that he has never seen wild meat not benefit from being in the freezer for six months or so. Also, our very own SLG told me to make sure to let the meat thaw and set in the refrigerator at least a day, preferably longer, even days.

Well, last night's venison steaks (coated with flour, salt, and pepper, pan fried) were delicious and tender. My five year old daughter ate nearly as much as I did.

As always when eating wild meat, I ate less and felt more full afterwards. An odd but good feeling.

Gray222
09-30-2015, 07:43 AM
Tags check
Suppressor check
Bolt gun? Mehhhhh

farscott
09-30-2015, 07:47 AM
I take the backstraps, season them with poultry seasoning, cover (wrap) them with applewood smoked bacon, and smoke them at about 225 degrees F with a mixture of charcoal and apple chunks until the venison reaches 165 degrees F. The fat from the bacon keeps the backstraps juicy and imparts some really nice flavor. I like to cut the completed bacon/venison amalgamation into cubes as they make excellent finger food.

LittleLebowski
09-30-2015, 07:56 AM
Tags check
Suppressor check
Bolt gun? Mehhhhh

Bolt guns are real guns. Gas guns have no soul. Also, bolt guns are more accurate :cool:

Here is how I feel about gas precision guns:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUuH4TEmgLo

Peally
09-30-2015, 08:08 AM
I don't personally hunt, so hunting season to me is when I get to help people that shouldn't own guns sight them in and when I can't go outside since there's too many drunks with rifles in the woods :D

Remember kids, your $5 scope probably won't hold zero with only half the required screws holding it on your rifle. Additionally, that gun you haven't cleaned in 10 years probably won't hit much. And having a 2 foot wide group at 25 yards isn't anywhere close to satisfactory. Stop pointing that loaded gun at my head please. Why did you ask for help if you just want to hose the berm and not listen to my scope corrections? (This all happened within a few hours mind you).

I'm honestly glad there are people like you guys that know which end goes bang, there are too many retards out there. Now go bag something so I can make jerky.

LittleLebowski
09-30-2015, 08:11 AM
Anyone can make edible jerky, you need to actually appreciate the meat and you can't do that with jerky :D

rwa
09-30-2015, 08:21 AM
My plans look like this. Transfer my limited quota bull elk license to a 50% or more disabled veteran, take said veteran on three day guided hunt free of charge, including meat processing, etc. Transfer my limited quota pronghorn license to disabled veteran, take said veteran on antelope hunt free of charge as above. Hope they can shoot straight. Guide two non-resident elk hunters on some of the roughest terrain around. This will probably be my last year guiding for my outfitter friend. Hunting is supposed to be fun, not work. I would much rather guide disabled vets for free than guide dudes for pay.

Rest of the season is mine. I have a tough to draw limited quota deer license. Hoping for a monster mulie. If not a monster, the license will go unfilled as usual. I have two cow elk licenses. Been running 100 per cent success for the last 15 years. No reason for this year to be any different. Planning on shooting yearling cows for table fare. I'll give one of the licenses away to the Hunting with Heroes program if they have someone wanting a freebie cow elk hunt. Great program. Rest of the winter will be coyotes and rabbits. Then a three month break and p-dog season begins.

Dropkick
09-30-2015, 08:46 AM
I attributed this to me not hanging the carcass and bleeding it out.

I don't know about how the whole let it bleed out part, I try to get as much blood out while field dressing. The benefit I see of skinning it and then letting it hang out overnight in the cold is that it makes butchering a whole lot easier. But that was easy to do in Upstate NY in November.

Sadly my NY hunting season is shot this year, because happily my NY hunting buddy is having a baby girl the end of October. And then on top of that, I don't have the equipment (or connections) to hunt in VA.

Best of luck to everyone else!!

farscott
09-30-2015, 08:53 AM
My deer hunting rifle is the same one I have used since my wife bought it for me for Christmas one year back when we lived in Georgia. It is a Browning 1885 Low Wall in .243 Winchester that is topped with a Leupold 3-9X Compact. I am still working on the original box of ammo I used to zero it as I only use it for deer. I think I have three rounds of that box left. Longest shot I have taken with it on an animal is about fifty yards. For Alabama, .243 Win. is more than enough, and the 1885 is easy to tote with its short action and light weight.

Any small game with be taken with a T/C Contender Carbine with an eighteen-inch .22 Short barrel and a Leupold 4X scope. Mostly squirrels and rabbits. I like to take a small cooking kit (potatoes, carrots, spices) with me, butcher the small game in the field with an old "Scout" pattern pocket knife, and cook them over a fire in the fire pit. For me, it is as close to living off the land as I am willing to get. I am considering trying the GoSun solar cooker, but the idea of carrying vacuum tubes in the field seems dubious. If I do try it, I would bring the animals home and just cook in the backyard.

LittleLebowski
09-30-2015, 09:16 AM
My plans look like this. Transfer my limited quota bull elk license to a 50% or more disabled veteran, take said veteran on three day guided hunt free of charge, including meat processing, etc. Transfer my limited quota pronghorn license to disabled veteran, take said veteran on antelope hunt free of charge as above. Hope they can shoot straight. Guide two non-resident elk hunters on some of the roughest terrain around. This will probably be my last year guiding for my outfitter friend. Hunting is supposed to be fun, not work. I would much rather guide disabled vets for free than guide dudes for pay.

Rest of the season is mine. I have a tough to draw limited quota deer license. Hoping for a monster mulie. If not a monster, the license will go unfilled as usual. I have two cow elk licenses. Been running 100 per cent success for the last 15 years. No reason for this year to be any different. Planning on shooting yearling cows for table fare. I'll give one of the licenses away to the Hunting with Heroes program if they have someone wanting a freebie cow elk hunt. Great program. Rest of the winter will be coyotes and rabbits. Then a three month break and p-dog season begins.

That is really good of you. Thank you.

texasaggie2005
09-30-2015, 09:28 AM
Plans: For the first time since high school, I've got the opportunity to hunt with my brother (Capt, USMC, based locally) on several pieces of property across East Texas. Looking forward to that. Also planning on using my AR to prove to myself I can use it for other than killing paper. I've always hunted deer with bolt.

Meat Prep: When field dressing, I like to hang the carcass as soon as possible to aid in blood letting. I'll even hang them while I walk back to get my truck. I think this helps rid the "gamey" flavors that many don't like. And I agree with the meat aging, both freezer and fridge methods. Certainly helps mellow it out.

Recipes: Nothing really written down, but I to crock-pot the roasts, and pan fry the tenderloins. All the other meat goes into sausage, link and pan.

EM_
09-30-2015, 09:42 AM
Let us discuss our plans and recipes.

Last year, I shot a young doe and at first, the meat had a very rich, almost liver flavor. I attributed this to me not hanging the carcass and bleeding it out. However, I watch and read everything Steve Rinella (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/081299406X/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=081299406X&linkCode=as2&tag=ratio07-20) creates and one thing he mentioned is that he has never seen wild meat not benefit from being in the freezer for six months or so. Also, our very own SLG told me to make sure to let the meat thaw and set in the refrigerator at least a day, preferably longer, even days.

Well, last night's venison steaks (coated with flour, salt, and pepper, pan fried) were delicious and tender. My five year old daughter ate nearly as much as I did.

As always when eating wild meat, I ate less and felt more full afterwards. An odd but good feeling.

My boss hunts and does game dinners with Steve's brother. Good people and refreshingly not "fake" at all as one might expect from someone in the entertainment industry.

JHC
09-30-2015, 10:00 AM
My sense of taste is as dull as my sense of trigger over travel. Of the 12-15 deer I've eaten I have not really noticed any difference in how they were processed post kill.

Gray222
09-30-2015, 10:22 AM
https://i.imgflip.com/rtyrn.jpg

JAD
09-30-2015, 10:28 AM
I hunted a couple of times as a young boy -- just pheasant, and never took one -- and I have always regarded it as a personal failing. Now that my boy is five, I am starting to worry that if I can't get him in the field when he's eight or ten, I'm really going to be doing him a disservice. I need to get my crap in one sock and figure out how to take a deer.

LittleLebowski
09-30-2015, 10:35 AM
I hunted a couple of times as a young boy -- just pheasant, and never took one -- and I have always regarded it as a personal failing. Now that my boy is five, I am starting to worry that if I can't get him in the field when he's eight or ten, I'm really going to be doing him a disservice. I need to get my crap in one sock and figure out how to take a deer.

We can help.

vaspence
09-30-2015, 12:01 PM
We've already started.

Whitetail Plans:
Bow season - Try out the Excalibur Micro crossbow and see how I like it. Vertical bow hunt as always.
Black Powder - My favorite season. Try to get one with the .54 Early Virginia flintlock.
Regular season - Have fun hunting with friends. Get my 4yo out as much as he'd like to go. Try to get one with the Handi in .300BO suppressed.

Recipes - The way LL did his steaks is my favorite way for most venison. Backstrap just grilled or jalapeno poppers is awesome also (I'm weak I toss the jalapeno).

Venison Prep - We don't hang for any set amount of time. If it gets cold enough here in central VA I'll let them hang overnight, especially if its late and I'm being lazy. I have never noticed a difference in the taste of the meat unaged vs aged vs soaked, etc.

Alpha Sierra
09-30-2015, 12:17 PM
I used to be filled with anticipation for waterfowling. First early teal, then the various goose and duck zones opening and closing around eastern Kansas. I ended up finding me a superb honey hole 30 min from home the last 3 seasons I lived there.

Occasionally I'd score invites with guys that had good gun dogs to chase pheasants or shoot some doves. I killed a few deer but my heart was never into it.

Now, living in ridiculously crowded SW Ohio, I feel like Peally does.

You guys have fun. I'll enjoy the empty gun clubs. Fall is here, the USPSA season is winding down, and it's time to start killing clay birds again.

Matt O
09-30-2015, 12:20 PM
Plans:

Bow season - use bow; kill deer.
Muzzleloader - still use bow.
Rifle - see above.

I have always been fascinated with traditional archery. When I got back into hunting I bought a recurve and then a longbow and hunted my first season with those, but didn't get a deer. I have since moved to a compound since I don't have the time to maintain the skill with traditional tackle. I hope I can get back into that once grad school and family responsibilities ease up a bit in the coming years.

I would also not be opposed to hunting with a rifle and that'd be an interesting experience, but alas my hunting spots don't allow me the privilege of using firearms.

Regarding processing, I unfortunately do not have the option to hang a deer, but I would do so in the winter if I A) had a garage and B) the temp was appropriately low. Everything I have heard points to that improving the flavor and texture of the meat. There's also the wild card variable of the flavor of the particular deer you happen to shoot. Since I live in a townhouse, my deer usually go to the butcher, though I may see if my folks will let me butcher the deer at their place this year. In terms of meat prep, I usually bring up to temp in the fridge and then soak the meat in warm water which I change out as it fills up with blood. I've found that the less bloody the meat is, the more subtle the flavor.

I generally do backstraps on the grill (wrapped in bacon and done via reverse sear), country-fried backstraps, venison meatloaf*, venison dumplings*, venison stroganoff, creamed venison over biscuits, etc. My absolute absolute favorite thing to do with venison, however, is chili. I use my own modified version of this chili recipe (http://honest-food.net/2011/05/10/venison-chili/), and would wholeheartedly suggest trying it out. To me, hunting often involves being cold and/or wet and often sore, so after I get home, nothing's better than a hot shower, big bowl of steaming chili and a large hunk of bread to go with it.

Matt O
09-30-2015, 12:24 PM

FWIW, I grew up in a family of people who don't like guns, have an aversion to the outdoors and aren't interested in hunting. Apparently I got some weird genes as those were the only things that have interested me for the past 3+ decades. I had a mentor who got me into bowhunting and the rest I just picked up on my own. I hope my daughter is interested in going hunting with me when she is of age as I would love for that to be a shared hobby of ours. In the future I would also like to see about mentoring a/some kid(s) from outside the family who are in a similar situation that I was growing up.

Hawk87
09-30-2015, 12:29 PM
Waterfowl season opens Saturday. Plan on helping my uncle get his kids on some ducks (doubt I will shoot myself). After that, I will be out 1-2 times a week. I save up my vacation for duck season. I normally jerky them, so nothing special there.

Hambo
09-30-2015, 12:49 PM
I drew a WMA quota tag for hogs, so I've got that in December. Deer season is long here, but FWC has changed the antler rules which I think will limit success. I'll be using a TC Encore rifle in .308, or maybe an Encore or Contender pistol the flavor of the month. Lots to choose from.

Matt O
09-30-2015, 01:02 PM
For VA residents, I did notice to my chagrin that the big game tag no longer includes bear. You have to buy a separate set of tags for that. Apparently the Virginia Hunting Dog Alliance and Virginia Bear Hunter's Assocation, got this change ramrodded through over the past year. Their logic is that people who are not specifically hunting for bears, but come across one and decide to harvest it, are not ethical or responsible hunters. I've always wanted to get a bear, but given how rarely I see them, I'm certainly not buying an extra set of tags for that once in a blue moon opportunity.

ranger
09-30-2015, 01:30 PM
I am headed to Wyoming this Friday for my first Antelope hunt. Taking the 6.5 Grendel AR and Hornady SSTs.

LittleLebowski
09-30-2015, 01:32 PM
I am headed to Wyoming this Friday for my first Antelope hunt. Taking the 6.5 Grendel AR and Hornady SSTs.

Speed goats! Where at in Wyoming? Hope you have good glass.

Irelander
09-30-2015, 02:00 PM
I'm getting anxious for hunting this year. My father in law and I are planning to do a lot of squirrel and rabbit hunting ahead of deer season with our suppressed .22 rifles. Most years we don't get out much but we are making a concerted effort to make it happen this year. I can almost taste the squirrel pot pie now.

JAD
09-30-2015, 02:14 PM
We can help.

I figured, and am delighted. I took hunter's ed when I was ten and have a reprint of my cert, so I think I can get a license in Texas with no drama.

I need to figure out what the right way to start is. I'd prefer to start with whitetail, because my wife doesn't love pork, though I think pig is a lot easier in Texas. I don't know from still versus stand hunting. I have lots of guns and know how to shoot more than half of them.

Once I know what I'm going to do, I'll figure out where to do it, and the logistics.

This may very well be a next year thing.

JM Campbell
09-30-2015, 03:08 PM
If you took hunters safety course in Texas, go to official state website and you can request a official card/copy. Take a about 2 weeks.

Card is not required to purchase hunting license, but must be on your person while hunting.

ETA: Hunter safety course info

https://tpwd.texas.gov/education/hunter-education

Duplicate card:

https://apps.tpwd.state.tx.us/theo/
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

ACP230
09-30-2015, 04:07 PM
Small game started here two weeks ago. Grouse, rabbit and squirrel.
Grouse are thin on the ground and I haven't even been cussed out by the usual
chorus of red squirrels this fall.

My youngest son got laid off and came home for a couple of weeks.
We hadn't hunted grouse together for the past five years. Got to this year.
Now he's back at work in Ohio and I'm back to solo hunting.
Went out earlier today and had an "armed walk in the woods." Saw no grouse.
My son and I saw three while he was up but all were on one trip. Got skunked on the
other trips. Still a good time.

Have a fall turkey license in my wallet. Plan to find the call and maybe the decoy and go out
some morning. (The older I get the better the afternoon shift looks though.)

Bow and arrow deer starts real soon. I'm thinking about it.
Then rifle deer season. Missed it all last year due to winter showing up early and in a bad mood.
Hope El Nino takes care of that this year.

Game birds, and even shelf-range store birds, work well if basted in apple cider (we sometimes use our own
hard cider) and wrapped in bacon. Add some cornbread, pecan, bacon and bourbon dressing and you really have
something to eat.

ranger
09-30-2015, 04:14 PM
Speed goats! Where at in Wyoming? Hope you have good glass.

Wright, Wyoming. Going with friend from work who goes every year. Taking binos and spotting scope to glass. Looking forward to the trip and doing some learning.

Lester Polfus
09-30-2015, 05:55 PM
I got a nice doe on Monday night with my traditional recurve.

Muzzeloader Elk starts Saturday.

One of the nice things about hunting on my own land is I can have a deer gutted, hung and skinned in a very short period of time. One thing that we do is take a garden hose and spray the skinned carcass inside and out to get any dirt or pooled and clotted blood off the membrane that covers the meat. This was particularly helpful this year as I had a quartering away shot. The arrow entered the left side ribcage, traveled forward at an angle and exited in the "armpit" area of the front right leg. It then busted through the front right leg and apparently stopped with about 24" of the 31" arrow sticking out, because I found the back 7" still in her chest cavity. The remaining arrow piece tore through the diaphragm and poked a hole in the stomach. My meat cutter said I was unlikely to really loose any meat due to this due to me washing it so thoroughly with the hose. Also once the skin is off, flushing with cold water really cools the carcass down quick.

Clean meat, cooled down as quickly as possible, is good meat.

LittleLebowski
09-30-2015, 06:01 PM
Wright, Wyoming. Going with friend from work who goes every year. Taking binos and spotting scope to glass. Looking forward to the trip and doing some learning.

You should be fine, there's acres of speed goats out there. That's not far from my family ranch in Douglas. I know a guide out there (he doesn't work for free but will put you on a big male) if you get frustrated.

Matt O
09-30-2015, 06:06 PM
I got a nice doe on Monday night with my traditional recurve.

Well done - congrats!

One of the nice things about hunting on my own land is I can have a deer gutted, hung and skinned in a very short period of time.

That's my, 5-7 year "get out of suburbia" goal. I can't wait to have some land of my own.

WDW
09-30-2015, 07:03 PM
I'm gonna try & take a deer with a recurve bow this year. Also got a Henry .44 I'd like to christen. Aside from the tenderloins, I usually grind up most of the rest & have the remaining made into jalapeņo summer sausage. I'm headed to Gatlinburg this weekend or else I'd be out there.

Hambo
10-01-2015, 07:12 AM
I have lots of guns and know how to shoot more than half of them.

I love that statement. I keep detailed notes on muzzleloaders so I can remember what loads shoot well in them.

LittleLebowski
10-01-2015, 08:16 AM
I'm trying avoid venison sausage this year. I want to get the family used to a different tasting (not "gamey") meat.

Gray222
10-01-2015, 09:20 AM
I'm trying avoid venison sausage this year. I want to get the family used to a different tasting (not "gamey") meat.

Lmk when you goin huntin maybe its worth a trip

LittleLebowski
10-01-2015, 09:47 AM
Lmk when you goin huntin maybe its worth a trip

Sorry, I can't bring guests onto someone else's property. Wish I had my own land.

Gray222
10-01-2015, 10:10 AM
Sorry, I can't bring guests onto someone else's property. Wish I had my own land.

You've failed far too often.

Matt O
12-23-2015, 08:16 PM
Finally got this guy's euro mount back. He's been delicious so far and I think I'm going to dine on his backstraps this weekend. No liver, fava beans and chianti involved however.