PDA

View Full Version : MY M&P hits low at 25 yd.

Mynameisalex
09-19-2011, 11:17 AM
I have a new S&W M&P 9mm full size. It's hitting 5 inches left and 7.5 inches low at 25 yds. using "driving the dot" hold. (Image #3) http://pistol-training.com/archives/1361

Focus: How do I get this zeroed?

I would need a shorter front sight for the elevation correct? What height should I get? What sight sets are popular for the M&P at the moment?

JDM
09-19-2011, 11:25 AM
Low and left? That sounds an awful lot like a trigger press/anticipation/other shooter error.

Right handed?

Most of the M&P issues with accuracy are big groups elevated above the point of aim.

Have another competent shooter try your gun out before you do anything.

orionz06
09-19-2011, 11:40 AM
What ammo?

JV_
09-19-2011, 11:43 AM
Did you use a sand bag for support?

CQC.45
09-19-2011, 12:51 PM
99% of the time:

Low + Left = Flinching

virginiatactical
09-19-2011, 01:27 PM
A couple things I would suggest to go about your issue. I also would like to point out that there is limited instruction over the internet as I or anyone else cannot physically see what is going on when you shoot the weapon.

1) Get another shooter to shoot it. Someone who can hit POA/POI at 25 yards with his own handgun.
- Did he/she bang the shit out of whatever he was aiming with your weapon at 25? If he did, I would say its shooter error and not handgun error

2) Sandbag the gun and attempt to eliminate all other variables when zeroing the gun.

3) After the 2 things above have been verified (by more than just you), I would consider changing out the sights if you have established that he gun is off. This is going to be personal preference, I personally use warren tactical plain rears and a red F/O Front on my M&P. A .165 Front sight goes with a plain black rear if you are shooting an M&PFS. M&P9Ls use .195 front sights. This is for warrens though, keep this in mind.

4) I would consider using the good old ball dummy drill before you do some zeroing, if you yak the shit out of that trigger on that dummy round, then you just need to work trigger control drills until you no longer yak on that dummy round. (sidenote - I suggest you only do the ball/dummy when you are practicing on trigger control)

5) Orion also has a very big point... as does BOM. What ammo and are you left or right handed? I shoot 124gr JHPs and they are quite accurate through my 9Ls. 115s are also accurate, but not as dead on as 124s are for me.

Hope this provides a measure of help!

Mynameisalex
09-19-2011, 02:52 PM
I was a bit sparse on background info: Ammo is 115 GR. FMJ Winchester. I was shooting off a sandbag rested on a table. I am right handed. I'd swear in the court of law it wasn't anticipation and sloppy trigger press. But having a skilled shot wring it out is a good idea that'll try.

Please keep the suggestions coming.*

Al T.
09-19-2011, 06:55 PM
Over the last few years, I've noted some serious flaws with FMJ rounds in terms of accuracy and POI/POA inconsistency. FWIW, my advice would be to shoot and zero with your carry load if it's a good quality JHP. I've seen some startling improvements in accuracy by using good bullets.