PDA

View Full Version : Concealing a Fixed-Blade Knife

Chris Rhines
09-28-2015, 03:40 PM
So I've been perusing the CCW Straight Knives thread a little bit. Looking at the blades that some of y'all are carrying, I can't help but wonder, how in the world are you keeping these things concealed?

My style of dress is pretty standard for my business and area - polo shirt and khakis when it's hot, dress shirt and snacks when it's cooler, shirt always tucked in, jacket rarely or never. I can't come up with any realistic way to conceal even a small fixed blade in that kind of getup. Certainly not a way that would allow faster access than a folder in a pocket.

So what's the secret? Or do business-casual types just not carry fixed blades?

PNWTO
09-28-2015, 04:32 PM
For "business casual" dress I will second Tom's opinion on the Pocket Shield. It is a handy little bastard and I need to break down and get about three more so I can have "fixed" set ups.

orionz06
09-28-2015, 04:38 PM
I hate to be a spammy bastard but these things work pretty well.

http://i.imgur.com/3UMZKXuh.jpg?1

Cecil Burch
09-28-2015, 04:42 PM
So I've been perusing the CCW Straight Knives thread a little bit. Looking at the blades that some of y'all are carrying, I can't help but wonder, how in the world are you keeping these things concealed?

My style of dress is pretty standard for my business and area - polo shirt and khakis when it's hot, dress shirt and snacks when it's cooler, shirt always tucked in, jacket rarely or never. I can't come up with any realistic way to conceal even a small fixed blade in that kind of getup. Certainly not a way that would allow faster access than a folder in a pocket.

So what's the secret? Or do business-casual types just not carry fixed blades?

When I am dressed for work or going to a nicer function and shirts need to be tucked, and the weather is too warm for some kind of covering garment, I go with the Pocket Shield.

voodoo_man
09-28-2015, 04:51 PM
Theres a few ways to pocket carry a blade and you can always "tuck" a blade if its small enough but that requires two motions to deploy.

JHC
09-28-2015, 05:05 PM
I have a pocket sleeve for an ESEE Uzula front Dark Star I use a lot when dress gets fancy. Sheath flicks off by the thumb just right.

dgg9
09-28-2015, 05:19 PM

....Inexpensive option (IWB)

Cookie Monster
09-28-2015, 11:08 PM
I use a pocket shield that holds a Watson Pikal and a 19 reload for most stuff. Up to 7.5 inch or 8 inch knife will fit my Arborwear pants.

I also have a few tuck able IWB knife holsters made by Dale Fricke which work well at 4 or 9 o'clock.

I see no reason to ever buy another folding knife.

Chris Rhines
09-29-2015, 07:26 AM
I'm checking out the Pocket Shield. Thanks, dudes.

Irelander
09-29-2015, 09:13 AM
Here's how I carry my CP. Pretty slick, but not tuckable....but I am not a tucking kind of guy.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/47624012/SW%20CP%20001.JPG

Dropkick
09-29-2015, 01:48 PM
Every time someone posts a picture of a untrimmed production clinch pick sheath, Domo eats a kitten.

Irelander
09-29-2015, 01:57 PM
Every time someone posts a picture of a untrimmed production clinch pick sheath, Domo eats a kitten.

Oh it's trimmed. I thought about trimming the grip fits into but I couldn't see how it would benefit my grip on the knife without compromising the retention. I'm certainly open to suggestions.

ReverendMeat
09-29-2015, 10:17 PM
Irelander, do you have a method for concealing the knife with a tucked in shirt?

Irelander
09-30-2015, 07:27 AM
Irelander, do you have a method for concealing the knife with a tucked in shirt?

Nope.

I'd probably figure out how to attach it to my Pocket Shield.

Dropkick
09-30-2015, 08:26 AM
Oh it's trimmed. I thought about trimming the grip fits into but I couldn't see how it would benefit my grip on the knife without compromising the retention. I'm certainly open to suggestions.

If you remove the material, you'll get a deeper and more solid grip on the knife prior to drawing. There is about half a centimeter of material that can be taken off the grip area and not run into any retention issues.

Check out this page of the clinch pick thread for more details:
https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?9478-Clinch-Picks-are-here/page11

Irelander
10-08-2015, 09:52 AM
If you remove the material, you'll get a deeper and more solid grip on the knife prior to drawing. There is about half a centimeter of material that can be taken off the grip area and not run into any retention issues.

Check out this page of the clinch pick thread for more details:
https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?9478-Clinch-Picks-are-here/page11

Hey thanks! I appreciate that. I will give it a go.

GRV
10-08-2015, 05:51 PM

Like everything else, the answer is always "junk carry":

Dead centerline, vertical, grip down, IWB, Raven tuckable strut. When you think you'll die, drop your fly.