PDA

View Full Version : If not a side-saddle, then how? (Sort of split from 870 setup thread)

ASH556
09-28-2015, 09:45 AM
So I have a 14" Benelli M1 SBS, but I think the idea largely remains the same:

So many in the 870 thread seem to be against the side saddle. So then how are you reloading/administering your shotgun? I'm thinking specifically in the instance of home defense because outside the house I think the rifle is the clear winner. My M1 holds 7 rounds if chambered and ghost loaded. I keep it loaded with the Federal LE 1321B load as recommended by DocGKR. Hopefully that should be enough to end a home invasion threat, but if not and/or if I decided I wanted a slug instead, how do you recommend loading the gun if not from a side saddle? Or, is it just assumed that if the fight lasts longer than the capacity of the shotgun that you should retreat and retrieve a rifle? Assuming that for home defense it's unlikely that I'll be wearing pants/belt/shell caddies.

Thanks in advance!

(gratuitous pic of my shotgun)
http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab104/ASH556/IMG_8111_1.jpg

rob_s
09-28-2015, 09:55 AM
Most of the "no side saddle" theory I see tends to be towards the "you won't need a reload in a shooting anyway" side of things. Having no relevant experience, I can't say I disagree. But, in the event I take my shotgun on the road, I like the ability to have some alternate ammo selections on the gun, and so the velcro-style side saddles appeal to me.

BehindBlueI's
09-28-2015, 10:15 AM
My first question would be, can you find me a home invasion that wasn't resolved one way or the other in 7 rounds or less. I'd say it's rarer than Powerball winners. Much rarer.

I think you'll find the objection most have to side saddles is the "snagability" of them. I keep a shoulder holster slung over my headboard at night. My pistol, spare ammo, and flashlight is there. I can throw it on quick, don't need pants (nude gun fight for the win!), etc. If I were really concerned about spare shotgun ammo, I'd probably figure out a way to have a vest handy with reloads on it.

ASH556
09-28-2015, 10:54 AM
If I were really concerned about spare shotgun ammo, I'd probably figure out a way to have a vest handy with reloads on it.

Naked wearing a bandolier of shotgun shells!
http://www.movieparasite.de/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/rambo.jpg

SamuelBLong
09-28-2015, 11:49 AM
If you're not going to have spare ammo on the gun, set a box of ammo with the gun on your nightstand.

Shoot one, load one.

Run out of ammo, you ought to have a handgun close by, right?

I mean really... What home invader(s) want to get into a prolonged shotgun fight at close range... Especially when you can aim at the door and blast anything coming through it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pablo
09-28-2015, 05:05 PM
If the extra ammo is not on your person or on the gun at the start of the event, it probably won't be of any use to you. A seven round Esstac cut in half will give you two 3-round saddles that are great for slugs. If you're serious about the switching to a slug thing, ghost loading makes things more complicated than they needs to be IMO.

Whatever you use, I would find something better than a box of shells laying around, something that index the bases. If it gets that bad, loading a shell backwards will really screw things up.

Not every M1 will run reliably with a Surefire Forend and a Sidesaddle.

Chuck Whitlock
09-28-2015, 06:54 PM
http://www.originalsoegear.com/collections/micro-rigs/products/12ga-micro-rig

Set it up with one strap as a bandoleer style instead of chest rig style.

John Hearne
09-28-2015, 08:48 PM
If the extra ammo is not on your person or on the gun at the start of the event, it probably won't be of any use to you.

Exactly. These are "come-as-you-are" events, if you could go and get it, why would you come back.*

I think that Newhall is a fairly compelling argument for additional ammunition on the gun.

If I could find a "sleek" way to do it, I'd have a spare magazine on my carbine but some how I suspect that 18 rounds will probably be enough.

*Channeling Tom Givens

SLG
09-28-2015, 08:53 PM
I'm a big fan of 4 rd side saddles. 6 is just too much of a good thing, but the extra four really doesn't get in the way, ime. I prefer the tac star or Wilson's. Brass up. Slugs only. I love shotguns.

shootist26
09-28-2015, 09:16 PM
I am currently using the 5 round Ares velcro cards and like them. Brass up. Always.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Hambo
09-29-2015, 08:20 AM
I used one of these on a 3-gun Benelli http://3gungear.corecommerce.com/Slide-Loc-2-Pac-p22.html

I also like Safariland 080 two round clip on holders.

SpyderMan2k4
09-29-2015, 01:33 PM
As with most self defense related issues, "it's not the odds, it's the stakes." If you need more ammo, you probably REALLY need more ammo. Me personally, it's not so much that I think I'm going to blow through 7 rounds in an extended gun fight, but if I have a 1 or 2 round incident, I want to have the option to top off right then and there.

The only real concerns I've ever heard with side saddles regarding snagging is LEO/SWAT, usually when dealing with gear, or in the tight confines of getting in and out of vehicles. I've never seen or heard of a snagging issue otherwise (there's really not a semi-realistic HD scenario that I can make up where it would cause an issue more than anything else). Usually the arguments against it are from a weight/balance standpoint. I personally don't find it to be an issue. I know Tom Givens is a fan of butt cuffs. It puts the weight on the stock where you don't feel it much, if at all. The tradeoff is that it's painfully slow to load from (for me).

DocGKR
09-29-2015, 02:30 PM
I run side saddles on all my shotguns...

ASH556
09-29-2015, 02:56 PM
I run side saddles on all my shotguns...

What do you use on a Benelli? Velcro?

LHS
09-29-2015, 03:04 PM
I can burn through 7 rounds in less time than it took to type this. Side saddles FTMFW on all my defensive shotguns.

Luke
09-29-2015, 10:11 PM
I can burn through 7 rounds in less time than it took to type this. Side saddles FTMFW on all my defensive shotguns.

That's what I'm saying! After my first FOF class with sims I sold my revolver. It blew my mind how fast a few rounds disappeared.
A longer tube with a match saver might be good.

SpyderMan2k4
09-30-2015, 12:57 PM

That's an excellent illustration. I might steal that in the future.

Bigghoss
09-30-2015, 07:47 PM
I'm a "better to have it and not need it" kind of guy so I want all the ammo I can get. My tac-star seems to be alright but I've never taken a shotgun class with it or anything. Those cheap elastic butt cuffs seem to work in a pinch if you sick a sling swivel stud thought them to keep them in place but they're far from ideal.

DocGKR
10-01-2015, 01:40 AM
My serious shotguns are all 870's. Have used velcro when we messed around with the B shotguns.

41magfan
10-01-2015, 09:06 PM
I personally use this arrangement. Mounted aft, I prefer the way it balances the additional weight and the plastic shell holders never lose tension like elastic. It doesn't offer any quick detachment feature but I don't have need for that option, myself. (I shoot long guns from the wrong shoulder, that's why the holder is mounted on the port side.)

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/901/11pzBI.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/p111pzBIj)