PDA

View Full Version : Officers sized magazines

Dagga Boy
09-24-2015, 10:18 AM
I just picked up a Colt Concealed Carry Officers (one with the mis marked Special Combat Officers slide). I really like it. I have learned in the past that most of these tend to run best with a 6 round factory magazine. Has anyone had any experience with the Colt factory 7 rounders in these? Gut says to stick with the 6 rounders, but I am open to the seven if they are reliable. I have not had good luck with many of the aftermarket magazines, particularly in the lightweight frame guns.

theJanitor
09-24-2015, 11:13 AM
I'd like to know too. I just paid for a Wilson Combat Colt Officers, and was just going to order WC mags for it.

Dagga Boy
09-24-2015, 11:30 AM
One would think that was built around the Wilson magazines. I have found that many 1911's run best with a specific magazine, and you can usually count the ones they come with as being GTG.....note I said usually because....1911.

theJanitor
09-24-2015, 11:39 AM
That's what I assumed as well, but more options are always better

theJanitor
09-24-2015, 11:41 AM
What are you running in the FAG gun?

JTQ
09-24-2015, 11:56 AM
I generally avoid Colt's mags, not because they aren't good, just that Colt doesn't make mags and you often don't know what you're going to get. Over the years I've seen GI followers, the Devel follower as used in McCormick mags, and what is probably their current supplier, the CheckMate Patented Follower (CMF).

Typically, you'll see either the Devel follower or the CMF in the 7 round Officer's models or 8 round Government model Colt mags since that's what it takes to squeeze the extra round in that size tube. if that's the follower you want, I'd just buy either the McCormick version or the CheckMate version that way you know what you're getting.

I typically buy my CheckMate mags from Top Gun Supply http://www.topgunsupply.com/gun-magazines/1911/check-mate.html

McCormick mags are of course available practically everywhere.

JAD
09-24-2015, 12:01 PM
I have a Dan Wesson CCO. It likes Wilson 7 round magazines a lot. It hates Wilson 8 round magazines (with the little bumper on the floorplate). I also have Checkmates that work and Metalform 6 round mags that are OK in practice but are too rough-feeling for comfort in carry. I have a stack of mags in my trunk right now, let me know if you want me to drop them off for T&E as I was just getting ready to go on another Glock bender.

Dagga Boy
09-24-2015, 12:01 PM
What are you running in the FAG gun?

Right now, Colt 6 rounders.

Dagga Boy
09-24-2015, 05:53 PM
For JTQ and JAD. As far as non-standard capacity Colt mags, I would agree as far as better available. I have found 6 round Officers and 7 round standard mags from Colt generally run well and tend to have good longevity. This has been especially true in the lightweight guns. Wilson's and I have not done well. While they usually work new, it is not a mag I want to leave loaded for extended periods. Of the extended, I like McCormick power mags in a standard size for my Colts. What was funny is my old shooting partner had great luck with Wilson's and McCormicks sucked in his Kimber......made trading out an easy process. My experience with Officer size guns is much more limited, so this will be a new path. With my new lightwieght and a custom all steel CCO at MARS in line, it is something I need to get figured out.

JTQ
09-24-2015, 06:14 PM
Wilson's and I have not done well. While they usually work new, it is not a mag I want to leave loaded for extended periods.

I don't have any first hand experience with Officer size mags, and I'm not trying to convince you one way or another, but were those 7 round Wilson's for your Officer size guns. Wilson has 6 rounders, that I suspect may last a little longer. In full size mags, I've had better luck with the the 7 round 47 over the 8 round 47D.

Wilson 6 round Officer mags http://shopwilsoncombat.com/6-Round/products/410/

Colt191145lover
09-24-2015, 06:20 PM
Back in my personal "Dark Age" I used to use the Wilson 7 round magazines for the Officers model downloaded to 6 rounds and did not have a issue the few years they were loaded, but it was a low round count gun. Only like 800 to 1,000 rounds YMMV

JAD
09-24-2015, 06:32 PM
What luck! All of the magazines I have for you have been left loaded for at least a year.

JTQ
09-24-2015, 07:14 PM
As an aside, those Wilson 6 round Service Mags (in my above link) are a CheckMate product, and probably similar to 6 round Colt mags. I don't know what Colt is selling their mags for.

Dagga Boy
09-24-2015, 07:21 PM
The 47D's I had issues with were the 8 rounders. I may try some of the 7 round Wilson's at some point.

SAWBONES
09-24-2015, 07:51 PM
I used to carry only 6-round OM magazines in my Colt Gunsite CCO, but I've gone to using Tripp's flush-fit welded-baseplate 7-round OM type, with no malfunctions to date. (Still carry Wilson 7-rounders for spares.)

Dagga Boy
09-24-2015, 08:26 PM
I used to carry only 6-round OM magazines in my Colt Gunsite CCO, but I've gone to using Tripp's flush-fit welded-baseplate 7-round OM type, with no malfunctions to date. (Still carry Wilson 7-rounders for spares.)

Great info, and what I am looking for. Thanks.

Lost River
09-24-2015, 08:35 PM
I have run both the factory Colt 6 rounders, and the Wilson Combats. Both ran fine. I picked my Officers ACP up in 1991. For a while it served as my primary CCW piece and for a few years it was my BUG to a 70 Series 5" duty gun. Fun little guns, but full size ones were easier to shoot well (for me). My personal one is a stainless framed version, and doing it over, I would have bought the aluminum frame for the weight savings.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/IV_Troop/016-3.jpg (http://s18.photobucket.com/user/IV_Troop/media/016-3.jpg.html)

theJanitor
09-24-2015, 08:42 PM
I like your style, Lost River. USPS has this in it's clutches right now. Then it'll be in quarantine for two weeks. And then I can see how good Wilson can build a small Colt.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5677/21691808375_f5a0ca5ed4_o.jpg

Dave J
09-25-2015, 09:48 AM
Like JAD, I also own a Dan Wesson CCO. Just to add in a few more data points, here's my experiences with magazines in that gun:

The OEM mags were DW-labeled 7-rd Checkmates with the hybrid feed lips. They were 100% with FMJ, but would sometimes FTF the top round with Speer GDHP.

Chip McCormick officer-sized mags generally worked with both FMJ and GDHP, but would sometimes lose control of the last round in the mags. This occurred with both the old-style CMC follower, and the newer "PowerMag +" follower. The older style CMC follower would also make nasty scrapes on the aluminum frame when removing the expended mags.

Wilson 47D's initially didn't work for me, and I set them aside until JAD mentioned that they worked for him. In mine, the 7-rounders were OK with FMJ, but like the OEM DW mags, wouldn't always feed GDHP from slide lock. The 8-rounders wouldn't even lock into the mag well reliably. This clued me in that the Wilson base plate wasn't allowing the mag to insert far enough into the gun. Removing about 1/8" from the front edge of the base base plate made the gun run perfectly. I'll note that the 8-rd extended mags needed more material removed than the 7-rounders did.

Tripp Cobramags have worked perfectly so far, without modification, with both FMJ and JHP.

I've retrofitted my McCormick officer's mags with Wilson springs and followers (C-45 kit), with good results so far, but I haven't put that many rounds through them, nor have I tested much JHP with them, as I'm intending to use them as range mags.

I can't comment on how well any of the above do when left loaded long-term, as I've moved away from 1911's and .45 ACP for daily carry, for all the usual reasons.

Dagga Boy
09-25-2015, 03:33 PM
Just took the little monster to the range. I really like it.....which scares me. I had a couple of newer 8 round 47D's that actually ran better than anything else, so this one apparently likes the Wilson's. I'll order up a couple Wilson 7 rounders and 8 round 47D's and give them a solid test. This is the easiest solution as I like being able to get the Overtravel stop on the bases to prevent over-insertion on the full size mags.

theJanitor
09-25-2015, 05:55 PM
Great info everyone!

Dagga Boy
09-25-2015, 06:11 PM
Great info everyone!

Half the fun of 1911 ownership is figuring out which magazines work...nice to do it in a group setting..;-)

LSP972
09-25-2015, 06:28 PM
Just took the little monster to the range. I really like it.....which scares me.

As it should. Put it down, walk away, admire it from afar, and if the urge to carry big bullets again persists, do yourself a favor and break out the HK45C…:D

Dagga Boy
09-25-2015, 07:22 PM
As it should. Put it down, walk away, admire it from afar, and if the urge to carry big bullets again persists, do yourself a favor and break out the HK45C…:D

But.....they are so thin and flat and a trigger that is so forgiving....help me.....:D

StraitR
09-25-2015, 07:47 PM
But.....they are so thin and flat and a trigger that is so forgiving....help me.....:D

HAHA! Here's (http://i.imgur.com/6GNJHpq.gifv) to first world problems.

I'm liking where this is going.

LSP972
09-25-2015, 11:27 PM

I am reminded of that masterful post on the old Park Cities Tactical Forum, where a guy was explaining the allure of the P7 staplegun. This is paraphrased, but you'll get the gist:

"The P7 is like that super-hot, sultry broad at the bar who gives you The Eye. You know she is bad news, you know you should run, not walk, away… but you cannot help yourself."

I would opine that the above also applies to 1911s in general, and chopped 1911s in particular. And only you can help yourself…;)

OTOH, I ordered that Katana. So by all means, press on. That way, if disaster befalls us, we can tell each other "I TOLD ya!!!":cool:

OnionsAndDragons
09-25-2015, 11:37 PM
I'm out on 1911s now; but over the three years I ran my Baers pretty hard, the only mags I never had an issue with were Tripp or had the Tripp spring rebuild in them.

They ain't cheap, but they seem to perform.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dagga Boy
09-25-2015, 11:55 PM
I am reminded of that masterful post on the old Park Cities Tactical Forum, where a guy was explaining the allure of the P7 staplegun. This is paraphrased, but you'll get the gist:

"The P7 is like that super-hot, sultry broad at the bar who gives you The Eye. You know she is bad news, you know you should run, not walk, away… but you cannot help yourself."

I would opine that the above also applies to 1911s in general, and chopped 1911s in particular. And only you can help yourself…;)

OTOH, I ordered that Katana. So by all means, press on. That way, if disaster befalls us, we can tell each other "I TOLD ya!!!":cool:

For now the VP9 is the answer for most questions, but I am always lured in by revolvers 1911's and P7's. The key is discipline....;)

SAWBONES
09-26-2015, 11:38 AM
I am reminded of that masterful post on the old Park Cities Tactical Forum, where a guy was explaining the allure of the P7 staplegun.

I'm still a moderator there, though the forum is almost entirely defunct now since the discontinuation by H&K of the P7 series.
Great pistol for brief use, however (before the gas piston chamber heats up and starts to burn your middle finger).

I have the same perception about my Gunsite lightweight CCO, but I'm beyond wishing for help, having long ago capitulated to its allure. ;)

Dagga Boy
09-26-2015, 12:14 PM
I'm still a moderator there, though the forum is almost entirely defunct now since the discontinuation by H&K of the P7 series.
Great pistol for brief use, however (before the gas piston chamber heats up and starts to burn your middle finger).

I have the same perception about my Gunsite lightweight CCO, but I'm beyond wishing for help, having long ago capitulated to its allure. ;)

I used to love that forum as a total P7 fanatic, but like HK Pro, I grew tired of arguing people with little actual experience with the system allowed to run rampant and the cost benefit of true experts to people becoming an expert by buying one was no longer worth the investment.

The CCO's are everything we wanted Officers Models and Commanders to be in one gun. What is nice is they also seem to work really well.

theJanitor
09-26-2015, 01:11 PM
The CCO's are everything we wanted Officers Models and Commanders to be in one gun. What is nice is they also seem to work really well.

My buddy picked up one of the WC CCO's a few months ago. Lightweight frame, accurate, checkered, and so far reliable with Wilson mags. for under $1200, it's hard to beat.

SAWBONES
09-26-2015, 03:15 PM

I agree.
The CCO pattern is the ideal 1911 for CCW IMNSHO, especially with the alloy frame.
I'm surprised there isn't greater demand for them than there is.

Paladin
09-26-2015, 04:48 PM
So I just picked up a Dan Wesson CCO for conceal carry when I get done vetting it. So far I've run about 200'rounds thru it using the factory mags and Wilson 8 round ETM and 47 D's without issue. I have a feeling I'm going to love this little pistol.

Rick

LSP972
09-26-2015, 07:07 PM

Or something breaks. I had four at one time, two heelers and two M8s, and despite a poor showing when we T & E'ed a couple of them (both broke), both had been in use as demonstrators for a very long time; that much was apparent by their appearance. So I figured they were simply worn out, and mine would be okay. Wrong.

After the second one of mine broke, I said enough. Of course, they waited to break until I had already spent a fortune on magazines, leather, and re-finishes; I had one of the M8s Black T'ed, and one of the heelers NP3'ed. The other heeler already was NP3'ed (see below).

One of the heelers was an oddity; it was one of 1500 or so that HK/USA- when they were in Sterling, IIRC- sent to RoBar for NP3. These guns had a "15-" prefix added to the serial numbers, and came with factory letters and an original Certificate of Guarantee from Robar. FWIW, that was the first one to break; the firing pin bushing. HK was quick about turning it around, but… still, I wish I had kept it. It was a joy to shoot (for 3-4 magazines, anyway, as SAWBONES noted) and unbelievably accurate.

Anyway… back to your mini-1911s…

Dagga Boy
09-26-2015, 09:35 PM
Actually.....these CCO's are sort of P7 like. Flat, great concealment guns, but....they require you stay on top of them and they are what I call "go to the range with a box of ammo" gun. P7's, one box of ammo. My Glocks and HK's, I usually shoot 250. Same with these LW 1911's. Box of ammo. My HK 45's of various configurations....usually a couple hundred rounds per session.

The reality is that most folks are box of ammo once or twice a year shooters. Those who train seriously with high round counts are different are a total minority in the shooting world. Sadly, this includes many cops these days as 50 rounds twice a year.

I got a cool holster today for the CCO. A Garrity version of a #1 or Alessi DOJ. I could easily carry OWB under a t-shirt with it. There is just something about how a 1911 feels in the hand that is unique and is comforting.

JAD
09-26-2015, 09:46 PM
I ran one in a Givens course recently and was very pleased.

jh9
09-27-2015, 05:06 AM
I agree.
The CCO pattern is the ideal 1911 for CCW IMNSHO, especially with the alloy frame.
I'm surprised there isn't greater demand for them than there is.

I'm having a lot of fun with my Springfield ROC. 4" top, aluminum officer's bottom, 9mm. AFAIK they're selling a lot of these in both calibers (45 and 9).

Sizewise it's about ideal. 125PF reloads (for the new CCP division) feel like factory ball out of a 5" full size steel 9mm 1911 (i.e. .22). Factory ball isn't bad by any means. Maybe a bit better than a glock 19.

Hard not to like it.

HeavyDuty
06-26-2023, 05:14 PM
One of the best things about P-F is the wealth of info. Rather than start a new thread, I’ll tag onto this one to keep the knowledge in one place.

I have a new Fusion .45 CCO on order. Are Wilson 6, 7 and 8 rounders still known good? What about Tripp? In either case, removable baseplate or traditional fixed?

I’m thinking 6 or 7 rounders in the gun and 7 or 8 rounders as reloads.

theJanitor
06-26-2023, 05:21 PM
HD, I’m using Wilson’s with perfect function. I also use a longer mag for a reload, but I’ve got the extended baseplate that contracts the frame in the case of over insertion

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230626/7cb8cc22da085f4164a23e0af63b2080.jpg

Also using 185's in the pistols shorter than 5" (per a Bill Wilson comment on the lighter ammo column being beneficial in shorter slides). They shoot a bit softer than 230gr, too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JTQ
06-27-2023, 12:15 AM
One of the best things about P-F is the wealth of info. Rather than start a new thread, I’ll tag onto this one to keep the knowledge in one place.

I have a new Fusion .45 CCO on order. Are Wilson 6, 7 and 8 rounders still known good? What about Tripp? In either case, removable baseplate or traditional fixed?

I’m thinking 6 or 7 rounders in the gun and 7 or 8 rounders as reloads.

Wilson has several FAQ pages, and one talks about mag/ammo choices. Remember, the Officer size 1911 was designed around a 6 round mag. Those short slides move fast, and you have to have a mag that can keep up with the slide. Too many rounds in the tube may be too much for the mag to keep up with the slide.

https://www.wilsoncombat.com/handgun-faqs/

All the mechanical changes are important, but the biggest factor is ammunition selection because it affects both slide cycle speed and the magazine’s ability to lift the cartridge into position for proper feeding. Ammunition loaded with 230gr bullets generate more recoil impulse (especially +P loads) than 185gr loads, and 7 rounds of 185gr ammunition weighs 315gr less than 7 rounds of 230gr ammunition, making the column of ammunition easier for the magazine spring to lift. I hope you see where I’m going here?

JTQ
06-27-2023, 12:18 AM
and though they don't say it, clearly an 8 round column will be heavier than a 7 round column which will also be heavier than a 6 round column.

mmc45414
06-27-2023, 07:03 AM
I have a new Fusion .45 CCO on order.

Remember, the Officer size 1911 was designed around a 6 round mag. Those short slides move fast, and you have to have a mag that can keep up with the slide.
But the CCO is a Commander on the top, I would not be so concerned.

JTQ
06-27-2023, 07:44 AM
Good point. I overlooked that, and had the OP title in my mind.

HeavyDuty
06-27-2023, 09:22 AM
Wilson has several FAQ pages, and one talks about mag/ammo choices. Remember, the Officer size 1911 was designed around a 6 round mag. Those short slides move fast, and you have to have a mag that can keep up with the slide. Too many rounds in the tube may be too much for the mag to keep up with the slide.

https://www.wilsoncombat.com/handgun-faqs/

Thanks for the link - I’ve never seen the FAQ pages there before.

That’s kinda my thinking, I’ve never had magazine sensitivity issues with any of my Commanders.

Paladin
06-27-2023, 10:54 AM
So to revive an old thread here’s a pic my newest CCO, it’s a Nighthawk in 45acp. Gun carries great in a 5 Shot SME.106451

mmc45414
06-27-2023, 12:23 PM
And Wilson has some kinda cool options for the CCO, including the low profile metal baseplates, and the 8 round option with the extended low profile baseplate, like theJanitor showed upthread (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?17330-Officers-sized-magazines&p=1489418&viewfull=1#post1489418).

HeavyDuty
06-27-2023, 01:44 PM
And Wilson has some kinda cool options for the CCO, including the low profile metal baseplates, and the 8 round option with the extended low profile baseplate, like theJanitor showed upthread (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?17330-Officers-sized-magazines&p=1489418&viewfull=1#post1489418).

I’m thinking I’ll try Wilson first. Ideally a 7 round for in the gun and an 8 for the belt, and pick up multiples if they work well for me. I have a long history of good luck with Wilson magazines.

TC215
06-27-2023, 07:00 PM
I had Dan Wesson build me a CCO in 9mm before they were a normal offering. Out of all the guns I’ve bought and sold, this is the one I really regret getting rid of.

I used Wilson ETMs in mine.

https://i.imgur.com/oNGr4Zd.jpg

parishioner
06-28-2023, 05:27 AM
So to revive an old thread here’s a pic my newest CCO, it’s a Nighthawk in 45acp. Gun carries great in a 5 Shot SME.106451

Steel or aluminum frame?

Paladin
06-28-2023, 12:50 PM
Steel or aluminum frame?

It’s steel, I’ve always been more concerned with durability and longevity as the weight has never really bothered me.
Cheers,
Rick

Dave J
06-28-2023, 02:58 PM

Sample size of one, but my DW CCO really seemed happy with both Wilson ETMs and Tripp mags. I mostly used the removeable baseplate mags.

The ETMs needed a few strokes of a file to on the overinsertion stop (at the front of the basepad) to seat reliably in my particular gun, but the worked fabulously once that was done. It's an easy enough adjustment that I wouldn't hesistate to buy more. Tripps were fine out of the package with no adjustment needed. I liked the ETMs a little better for carry, due to the slimmer base pad concealing a bit better.