PDA

View Full Version : What support gear to you carry to the range?

rudy99
09-17-2011, 04:27 PM
Just curious as to what support gear (i.e. accessories) people carry with them to the range. This would exclude anything that is normally in the range bag, like firearm, ammo, eye, ear, timer, first-aid, etc.

The range I go to pretty much just has a bunch of empty bays. They do have some wooden target stands, barrels and small barricades in some of the bays, but that is pretty much it. We can drive down to the bays to load/unload anything we might have with us. Here is a pick of the stuff I take with me:

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w86/rudy1999/Range/DSC02475.jpg

Gloves for carrying anything made of wood
100' tape measure w/metal stake to hold one end
Orange distance markers
6' 1x2s with 1-foot increments marked off for holding targets
Staple gun w/ extra stapes
Pliers for pulling out staples, etc
1 lb dead blow in case I have to hammer stakes in the ground
Masking tape for targets
Spring clamps for holding targets
Other clamps for holding 1x2s
Carpenter pencil for whatever
Rubber bands for holding rolled up targets
Box cutter for whatever
5-gallon bucket for holding all of the above (except the 1x2s)

I also have a PVC target stand (ala the Box of Truth (http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/edu24.htm)), but I usually leave it at home since there are some stands at the range (even though they are pretty crappy for anything except cardboard targets).

I'm certainly not the most experienced shooter here, but I think I've got a decent bucket of stuff for getting set up for shooting drills that may involve up to 3 targets.

Al T.
09-17-2011, 09:04 PM
Rudy, my tool box on the back of my truck holds a bunch of stuff too. :)

I have a blow out kit (for GSWs), oil for folks who don't bring theirs, paper plates and 3x5 cards for targets, tools for firearms, duct tape for repairs and that's all the differences that comes to mind.

I also have a 4x6 card with the range address (physical, not P.O. Box) in case of a GSW. Although we are the only outdoor range in the county, always good to front load the 911 operators.

Otherwise, we look pretty similar. :D

JDM
09-17-2011, 09:06 PM
IFAK. Ammo. Water.

ToddG
09-17-2011, 09:13 PM
IFAK (2, actually)
pens, markers
measuring tape
spare batteries (ear pro, timer, flashlight)
whistle
Extra Strength Tylenol
Leatherman, punches, spare parts kit

45R
09-17-2011, 10:22 PM
Pretty much the same stuff Todd brings...except for when Todd is around I have to bring more than one staple gun.

Ga Shooter
09-19-2011, 10:34 AM
Just curious as to what support gear (i.e. accessories) people carry with them to the range. This would exclude anything that is normally in the range bag, like firearm, ammo, eye, ear, timer, first-aid, etc.

The range I go to pretty much just has a bunch of empty bays. They do have some wooden target stands, barrels and small barricades in some of the bays, but that is pretty much it. We can drive down to the bays to load/unload anything we might have with us. Here is a pick of the stuff I take with me:

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w86/rudy1999/Range/DSC02475.jpg

Gloves for carrying anything made of wood
100' tape measure w/metal stake to hold one end
Orange distance markers
6' 1x2s with 1-foot increments marked off for holding targets
Staple gun w/ extra stapes
Pliers for pulling out staples, etc
1 lb dead blow in case I have to hammer stakes in the ground
Masking tape for targets
Spring clamps for holding targets
Other clamps for holding 1x2s
Carpenter pencil for whatever
Rubber bands for holding rolled up targets
Box cutter for whatever
5-gallon bucket for holding all of the above (except the 1x2s)

I also have a PVC target stand (ala the Box of Truth (http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/edu24.htm)), but I usually leave it at home since there are some stands at the range (even though they are pretty crappy for anything except cardboard targets).

I'm certainly not the most experienced shooter here, but I think I've got a decent bucket of stuff for getting set up for shooting drills that may involve up to 3 targets.

Very interesting target stand. Question though how does it hold up on a breezy day? It seems to me that every time I go to an outdoor range if I have to use my portable stands the wind constantly blows them over.

In response to your post:

Taget stands
targets
staple gun
staples
tape
guns
ammo
ear pro
eye pro
GSW kit
cell phone
hammer
rebar
1x2s
water
protein bars
timer
notebook and pen

Jay Cunningham
09-19-2011, 10:45 AM
I have two separate bags now.

The first one is the usual range bag with tools, lube, spare parts, cleaning stuff, crap like that. I also keep eyepro and earpro in this one along with a boo-boo kit. This first bag I'll take with me whenever I go somewhere with a gun, whether it's practice, me teaching, or me participating in a class as a student. The second has stuff like pasters, staple gun and staples, Sharpies, 3x5 index cards, tape measure, and shot timer. I have a Blue Gun in there too.

I always have at least one trauma kit in my vehicle and I have one on my warbelt thingy.

I usually bring my own sticks and stands, and sometimes steel target. I also have a wheel thingy with a counter on it if I want to step off precise ranges. I have cans of paint for stencils and steel targets and orange ground marking paint.

Kyle Reese
09-19-2011, 02:35 PM
Midway USA Range bag (OD) (http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=939259680)
Glock rear sight tool
Combo tool for GLOCK (http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=9776/ttver=1/Product/COMBINATION_TOOL_for_GLOCK_reg_)
Slip 2000 EWL
PELOR ear pro with plugs
Pens, notepad, markers
PACT Timer
AA Lithium batts

Index cards
PT targets
Magazines
Ammunition
Colt M4 bolt
Gas rings
Glock springs
AXE spray on deodorant

rudy99
09-19-2011, 06:41 PM
Very interesting target stand. Question though how does it hold up on a breezy day? It seems to me that every time I go to an outdoor range if I have to use my portable stands the wind constantly blows them over.

I have been using cardboard IPSC targets lately. Shoot on those for a while and once you get tired of pasting stuff, you can staple things like the dot torture test and press 6 sheets to it. There are perhaps 2 bays that actually have a place in the corner for setting up 3 targets side-by-side on some black rubber(?) backing. Those bays are typically in use though. I can always use an extra 1x2 to cross brace the PVC stand though to provide more stability on a windy day. I sometimes just think I carry enough gear out there as it is.

The IFAK is probably the main thing I need to add to my kit, and that would go on the range bag and not with the sticks and stuff.

rsa-otc
09-19-2011, 06:49 PM
Pretty much everything everyone talked about depending on if I'm by myself or teaching. One additional item I do bring is wetones when I'm going to an outdoor range. Having had elevated blood lead levels in the past I always clean myself up before drinking or snacking on anything. On the outdoor ranges I've used here recently it's a hike to the rest room if they even have one.

Al T.
09-19-2011, 07:13 PM
AXE spray on deodorant

:eek:

GA shooter, I have a Chinese three dollar 2 lb. hammer and some landscape nails for securing my stands. Maybe five bucks for all of it. Hammer from Northern Tool or Harbor Freight and the nails from Home Depot.

One thing I over looked was snivel gear and hydration needs. Down here, in the summer ice water and Pedialyte are requirements, not luxurys. Colder weather indicates hot tea, knit caps and gloves. Have not had the need for chow, but for some folks a snack may be indicated.

Kyle Reese
09-19-2011, 08:08 PM
The AXE deodorant smells great, and makes meeting Ms.Right easier at the range. :p:D

Ga Shooter
09-19-2011, 08:18 PM
:eek:

GA shooter, I have a Chinese three dollar 2 lb. hammer and some landscape nails for securing my stands. Maybe five bucks for all of it. Hammer from Northern Tool or Harbor Freight and the nails from Home Depot.

One thing I over looked was snivel gear and hydration needs. Down here, in the summer ice water and Pedialyte are requirements, not luxurys. Colder weather indicates hot tea, knit caps and gloves. Have not had the need for chow, but for some folks a snack may be indicated.

Thak I have been pounding short pieces of rebar but the landscape nails would probably be easier. I will give those a try. I forgot I usually take the POwerade Zero you are right about the heat down here it is a requirement to replace electrolytes.

orionz06
09-19-2011, 10:34 PM
Ear pro: Sordins and a pair of back up electronics along with some Surefire EP3's and foamies
Target stands: crappy wood ones I made because I don't have a welder to make crappy metal ones
Target sticks: firring strips chopped to 1.219 meters
Stapler: A full size stapler and a mini stapler. The full size was purchase shortly after painting the mini FDE and losing it for a short time.
Timer: PACT Club III
Targets: IPSC or IDPA and some NRA B-8 centers
Pasters: Every color I might ever use. I can't stand not having the right color paster.
IFAK: 2 TacMed Solutions ones.
Eye pro: Clear and tinted, Oakleys only because I haven't jumped on the Rudy Project train yet.
Lube: Super top secret stuff and the Amsoil that my car takes, 5w-40 German formula.
Gloves: I always have a pair of Mechanix gloves with me.

All of this is randomly placed in my car or my Maratac Extreme bag.

Jay Cunningham
09-19-2011, 11:23 PM
Target sticks: firring strips chopped to 1.219 meters
Awesome.

Pasters: Every color I might ever use. I can't stand not having the right color paster.
I hate that too.