PDA

View Full Version : Large Flashlight Recommendation for Duty Belt

Whiskey_Bravo
09-22-2015, 12:15 PM
Would like to see if you guys here can offer up any advice for a good option for a larger sized duty belt flashlight.

I am issued a Maglite Mag Charger light by my department (older 200-300 lumen model) with a traffic cone and keeper ring to carry on my belt. This light primarily stays in my duty bag and the only times I seem to use it is when I do traffic. We are issued the Safariland 070 triple retention holster for our weapon and weapon mounted lights and other holsters are not authorized for patrol unless you are on the SWAT team (ridiculous, I know...). I currently carry a Surefire P1R Peacekeeper rechargeable on my belt. It is a great light with 600 lumens of output. I replaced the tailcap with the clip version from my Surefire P2X Fury EAG model. Now it has a proper single output click style tailcap.

I like my P1R, but find myself wanting a longer light with higher output that I can keep on my belt or in my uniform pant pocket with either a RCS or Thyrim ring. The longer, heavier, brighter light would be a good tool to have on traffic stops and searches and be more practical than the issued Maglite. I have very large hands and I find myself occasionally fumbling with the P1R.

I am leaning towards picking up a single output P3X Fury EAG model and some Surefire rechargeable CR123A batteries or going all in a Surefire R1 Lawman. The Streamlight Stingers are similar to the Lawman and cheaper as well with a host of aftermarket support, but I am admittedly a Surefire junkie/snob.

I would appreciate any input you guys have to offer.

Note: Our PD is supposedly going to weapon mounted lights in the near future, either issued or option for personal purchase, but that is still a ways off.

Chuck Whitlock
09-22-2015, 06:11 PM
I recently picked up a Streamlight Ultrastinger LED. Puts out 1100 lumens, and is reminiscent of the old C cell maglights. I think it takes the full sized cones.

http://streamlight.com/en-us/product/product.html?pid=320

LSP972
09-22-2015, 06:41 PM
Not tying to be Debbie Downer, but I learned a few things about Stingers, that mirrored the experience I had with an SL-20 back in the day.

First, they are good and tough. Second, they share the same drawbacks as all rechargeables; if you don't have a way to recharge it, such as getting stuck on a detail far away from your unit or other power source, in an hour or so it becomes a dandy club. Now, I realize that not all locales are subject to disaster scenarios where the power is out for days at a time, but you never know.

The third thing is, StreamLight tells you to just keep the light in the charger when not using it, and all will be well. That's total bullshit. These lights use nickle-metal-hydride battery chemistry. The "standard" charge rate for NiMH batteries is C10; IOW, one tenth of the rated milliamp hour of the battery. 10-12 hours at this rate brings the stick to full charge; after that, continuing to pour C10 energy into it will degrade the cells at a faster rate and wear them out. Its just like over-charging your car battery. Of course, the battery will start to not hold a charge- how long depends on temperatures, how well the cells were matched when the stick was assembled, and a few other factors- but IMO it is a deliberate ploy to sell more batteries.

You can minimize this by keeping track of how much time the light is in the charger, and leaving it OUT of the charger between shifts and on days off; slipping it in a few hours before you go to work, etc. All of this is too much effort for most folks, so they just leave it in the charger and need a new battery generally within a year or so.

My point here is, you really should have a small 123A-powered light as a back-up, and have plenty of batteries in your war bag. Lots of our guys discovered this the hard way during Katrina. When the first "wave" was relieved after a week and came back to Baton Rouge for rest and re-fit, the local emporiums all sold out of SureFire G2s almost immediately.

Again, not knocking the light; it give excellent service. But there's nothing quite like being stuck in the outlands at night, with no power for miles, and your only source of light dies.

Just sayin'…:p

Luke
09-22-2015, 06:47 PM
I have three stingers and LOVE them. Great battery life and most all of them have a piggy back charger so you always have a spare battery charged. You could even get a third battery and keep it on you.

BehindBlueI's
09-22-2015, 06:47 PM
In uniform, and prior to getting Gen 3 glocks with rails, I carried two flashlights. I carried a mag light on my belt which bore the moniker "Capt. Thumpy" as nicknamed by my beat partners and also made light. I then carried a streamlight tailcap light for searching with the pistol or for other uses were the big Mag light wasn't appropriate.

Today I carry an O light. I keep the M22 Warrior in my car or in my coat pocket and an M18 maverick in an ankle rig. I doubt they are as rugged as the much more expensive offerings, but they are very bright, the Warrior has a bezel I wouldn't be afraid to skull someone with, and they aren't rough on batteries. I'm real satisfied with them for what I do.

Chuck Haggard
09-22-2015, 08:19 PM
Some of the newer Streamlights are using lithium rechargeable batteries, they don't have many of the same issues that the NiCad batteries have.

That said, if you can find an Estrella in stock, buy it. That is without a doubt the very best night shift cop light I have ever used.

voodoo_man
09-22-2015, 08:28 PM
http://amzn.to/1NL9jx4 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BD9OKC6/)

Streamlight stinger led hl ds - used this light on duty since they came (had to be 4 or so years now) not a single issue with constant use. I charge one full shift for every 5 days and it keeps charge well. Sometimes after heavy use I charge for half a shift in the car while I drive around.

Its super bright, makes peoples eyes hurt. It has a low setting for indoors and paperwork and strobe works for crowds.

Highly recommended.

JR1572
09-22-2015, 08:49 PM
Since the night watch is in my future, I need to start saving up for a R1 Lawman.

JR1572

Whiskey_Bravo
09-22-2015, 11:49 PM
The
http://amzn.to/1NL9jx4 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BD9OKC6/)

Streamlight stinger led hl ds - used this light on duty since they came (had to be 4 or so years now) not a single issue with constant use. I charge one full shift for every 5 days and it keeps charge well. Sometimes after heavy use I charge for half a shift in the car while I drive around.

Its super bright, makes peoples eyes hurt. It has a low setting for indoors and paperwork and strobe works for crowds.

Highly recommended.

I agree the Streamlight has a lot going for it, however I would still pick a Surefire any day if I could. I really like this offering as well from Lenslight (extremely high quality piece of kit) but the price is approaching R1 territory.

http://www.monkeyedge.com/LensLight-3x123-Delta-Wrap-Black-p/llf0056.htm

Maybe the HL DS is really the best option and I should just stop overthinking it.

Coyotesfan97
09-23-2015, 12:37 AM
I just got the new Maglite rechargeable LED light for my big belt light. I've always liked Maglites and I've been waiting for this one. My Pelican 8060 is the back up to that in my pursuit case on my seat.

I also have a Pelican 7060 on my belt behind my holster. It's my primary search light and its positioned so I can reach it with my strong hand when I have a dog on my left wrist. When I can track down an Estrela I'll probably replace it. I have chargers for both Pelicans in my car.

I also have a Streamlight Protac HL in my leash pouch. There is a Surefire X300 WML on my Glock.

I like having extra lights on me.

Sero Sed Serio
09-23-2015, 12:56 AM
Another issue with the Stingers (and my experiences match LSP972's with the batteries): I was doing traffic control in the middle of a pretty good downpour one night, and when I went to activate my light with my middle finger on the button at 12 o'clock (and therefore the charging connectors pressed against my wet palm at 6 o'clock) I got a pretty good shock that ran all the way up my arm to my shoulder, and almost made me lose the light. I went out and got a Surefire (I think it was the original 9AN Commander) the next day, and never looked back.

voodoo_man
09-23-2015, 04:46 AM
The newer stongers fixed those issues with double covered rubber buttons.

I used the one I posted extensively during a downpour, we were searching a set of back alleys for a burglary suspect and the light was soaked, not a problem

My pd issues stingers out of the academy. The non led versions blow, ive had several of them break but thankfully streamlight fixes them with little hassle.

jondoe297
09-23-2015, 08:18 AM
I'm using a polystinger DS. I've had it for about 4 years and it's never let me down.

LSP972
09-23-2015, 12:18 PM
The non led versions blow.

Yeah; I learned real quick not to bean anybody with my SL-20 when it was lit. Those lamp modules were $20 a piece; a not insubstantial amount in the late 70s. After I blew two in one night over the skulls of recalcitrant citizens, I figured it out.

Chuck Whitlock
09-23-2015, 07:37 PM
First, they are good and tough. Second, they share the same drawbacks as all rechargeables; if you don't have a way to recharge it, such as getting stuck on a detail far away from your unit or other power source, in an hour or so it becomes a dandy club. Now, I realize that not all locales are subject to disaster scenarios where the power is out for days at a time, but you never know.

The third thing is, StreamLight tells you to just keep the light in the charger when not using it, and all will be well. That's total bullshit. These lights use nickle-metal-hydride battery chemistry. The "standard" charge rate for NiMH batteries is C10; IOW, one tenth of the rated milliamp hour of the battery. 10-12 hours at this rate brings the stick to full charge; after that, continuing to pour C10 energy into it will degrade the cells at a faster rate and wear them out. Its just like over-charging your car battery. Of course, the battery will start to not hold a charge- how long depends on temperatures, how well the cells were matched when the stick was assembled, and a few other factors- but IMO it is a deliberate ploy to sell more batteries.

You can minimize this by keeping track of how much time the light is in the charger, and leaving it OUT of the charger between shifts and on days off; slipping it in a few hours before you go to work, etc. All of this is too much effort for most folks, so they just leave it in the charger and need a new battery generally within a year or so.

My point here is, you really should have a small 123A-powered light as a back-up, and have plenty of batteries in your war bag. Lots of our guys discovered this the hard way during Katrina. When the first "wave" was relieved after a week and came back to Baton Rouge for rest and re-fit, the local emporiums all sold out of SureFire G2s almost immediately.

Again, not knocking the light; it give excellent service. But there's nothing quite like being stuck in the outlands at night, with no power for miles, and your only source of light dies.

Just sayin'…:p

My primary light is actually a Streamlight Strion rechargable, but it's too small to tuck under your arm on a traffic stop. I was issued a Stinger LED DS at my previous agency. Since I had a take home vehicle, I mounted the the charger in the unit and plugged it into a switched power receptacle. This let me keep the light in the charger, and it only charged when the vehicle was running. It only came out on traffic stops at night. The Strion is about the size of a P6, but the barrel is narrower......perfect for my small mitts. I bought it after having issues doing a building search with the Stinger in winter gloves.

I had to turn in the DS when I left that agency. I bought the Ultrastinger, in part, because it could also be usable as an impact weapon, in addition to putting out a lot of lumens.

tanner
09-23-2015, 10:46 PM
That said, if you can find an Estrella in stock, buy it. That is without a doubt the very best night shift cop light I have ever used.

I took this advice and was very happy that I did. Rechargeable so it saves money but with the ability to use the CR123 batteries if it goes out unexpectedly. Excellent controls. Plus, to date I have the championship belt at my PD for having the brightest light.

Also have in my bag a P2X Fury Defender as my backup and a first generation Pelican rechargeable to loan to dudes at scenes whose lights die.

LSP972
09-24-2015, 06:51 AM
Since I had a take home vehicle, I mounted the the charger in the unit ...

Ditto my SL-20. But we were strictly prohibited for altering the "workings" of the unit in any manner; specifically, wiring anything into the electrical system, etc. They would look the other way when you plugged a flashlight charger into the fuse box, though that meant the charger was always "hot". What I ended up doing was cutting a notch in the charge cradle, so I could rotate the light to avoid the charging contacts yet the the light was still held in an easily accessible position. When I wanted to charge it, I just rotated it to where it plugged in.

Those old aluminum SL-20s were great for patrol work; easily held under the arm or the crook of the neck, yet would lay a fighter out easily. They used nickle cadmium batteries, which would develop a memory if you weren't careful (the nickle-metal-hydride used now avoids that). I averaged about two years good use from a battery stick, then they started losing endurance. But given that most guys were using one or another type of D cell light, the SL-20 was leagues above those. I still have mine. It is far out-classed by the current small lights, in terms of output, etc.; but it served me well in its day.

We began issuing hot-wire (incandescent bulb) Stingers in 2000, and to me they were rather underwhelming. They were good for about 45 minutes, then needed re-charging. Pretty useless as an impact weapon too, unless you poked your opponent in the eye with it. I see the uniform guys with them on their belt, so I guess they're the the same light but with an LED bulb. Here at the lab we're issued PolyStingers; a good light for admin types and pogues (or around the house, for that matter).

KeeFus
09-24-2015, 07:13 AM

Been trying to find one for a few months. Theyre definetly hard to come by.

secondstoryguy
09-24-2015, 08:13 AM
I work nights and I've tried them all including Surefires rechargeable offerings. My favorite by a long shot is the Elzetta Night Reaper. Designed by Ken Good who designed the old Gladius lights it really has no equal. It's bright as hell(1000 lumens?), has excellent switching, runs on readily available 18650 rechargeable($7-$10 on Amazon-I carry two extras but it will typically last 1-3 shifts on one batt), it can also run on 123s if needed , and it's got a clip. It's also small enough to put in your front uniform pocket or cargo pocket. The price is very fair...you can find them on the gray market for $100-120 and I believe there are discounts for LEO.

The warranty is great as well. I had one of the original run of these lights that I used on duty for 2 years. After being dropped onto concrete countless times from waist height, submerged in floodwaters, and basically beat to hell its finally gave up the ghost. I sent it back to Elzetta. Based on my treatment of the light I expected them to tell me to go to hell and honestly would have understood if they did. To my surprise they sent me a brand new light.

I invested $10-20 on a car charger from Amazon for the 18650 batteries but to be honest I never have used it. Battery life is great and as I said above I just pack a few extra batteries.

secondstoryguy
09-24-2015, 09:41 AM
I forgot to add that the Elzetta Night Reaper also has an easy button lock out feature that's a huge plus. Oh, and the constant on switching can be dimmed for paperwork and searches.

jnc36rcpd
09-25-2015, 09:39 PM
In my AO, some officers have a religious opposition to just purchasing another rechargeable battery. To their minds, the battery in the SL-20 I purchased in the early 1980's should still serve me well today. Unless you have an endless supply of non-rechargeable batteries (which some agencies have), a rechargeable light allows a more-or-less consistent brightness and endurance until the battery stick starts to fail. If you accept the fact that the battery stick will have to be replaced every year or two or three, it reduces concerns about battery life and lumens.

Whiskey_Bravo
09-26-2015, 01:33 AM
Looks like I will try and get my name on a wait list for an Estrella. The light looks like a solid piece of kit and I was always intrigued by the original Blackhawk Gladius when it came out.

I still foresee a Surefire R1 or a Stinger in my near future as well. Those lights just seem to be the perfect size for a do all (especially on a traffic stop) as compared to my smaller Peacekeeper or larger Mag. I carry a expandable baton, but I still wonder which light would make a better impact tool if I found myself in the right situation. The Mag pretty much lives in my bag now.

I discovered something interesting yesterday. I did some tailcap switching yesterday. I installed the clicky tailcap from my EAG Fury and a RCS flashlight clip/ring on P1R Peacekeeper and they would not work with the rechargeable battery. The switch would not work at all. I then switched the tailcap out for a Surefire Z59 model and it would only work momentarily and would not go to constant on. I replaced the rechargeable battery for two CR123's and now it works like a charm with the Z59 and RCS ring. This configuration now rides in my support side front pocket of my uniform pants with a P2X Fury in a snap cover holder on my belt. Kind of negates the added benefit/expense of buying the rechargeable in the first place but ironworks and it's easy to carry. Slightly aggregating. I will continue to play around with the configurations.

Food for thought...

KeeFus
09-28-2015, 06:39 PM
No wait list is necessary:

I called them today and placed an order for one. The girl who took my told me they have TONS in stock, and according to her more than enough to equip an entire department. They offer a 5% LE discount and shipping was ~$12.

If you really want to get on a list for one, here is a good pace to start (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?17372). :cool:

If I dont win Im buying one.

Whiskey_Bravo
09-29-2015, 10:53 AM
What great offer. Thank you to the PF staff for creating such a great giveaway!