PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes karma really does come around

LittleLebowski
09-20-2015, 11:46 AM
Took the kids and dog (GSD) out for a hike to the local state forest. Saw some dogs running around on the county road on the way. Said dogs joined us on the hike. I called the phone number on their tags, the owner said they were fine, that worked for me. Leaving from the hike, some asshole getting ready to ride his pet horse at the forest wanted to call Animal Control on the one dog still there. So I loaded the dog up in my truck and drove him to the address on his tags. I now have 50+ acres to hunt on, new friends, and my kids spent the morning driving tractors, feeding horses, etc.

Sometimes good things come back to you. These folks encouraged me to hunt their groundhogs and whitetails :)

BobLoblaw
09-20-2015, 12:20 PM
Good things happen to good people. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

voodoo_man
09-20-2015, 01:43 PM
Well ain't you a do gooder.

You want a gold sticker?

LittleLebowski
09-20-2015, 01:46 PM
Well ain't you a do gooder.

You want a gold sticker?

Dead groundhogs will suffice.

voodoo_man
09-20-2015, 01:52 PM

That's not too shabby....

SeriousStudent
09-20-2015, 01:55 PM

Dead venison would be better.

And venison jerky would be excellent.

voodoo_man
09-20-2015, 02:02 PM
Dead venison would be better.

And venison jerky would be excellent.

venison jerky...

https://media0.giphy.com/media/Zk9mW5OmXTz9e/200_s.gif

Al T.
09-20-2015, 04:59 PM

Crock-pot!

BaiHu
09-20-2015, 06:57 PM
Score one for being neighborly.

Alpha Sierra
09-20-2015, 07:19 PM
some asshole getting ready to ride his pet horse at the forest wanted to call Animal Control on the one dog still there.
A guy? WTF I would have expected that from some horse broad

LittleLebowski
09-20-2015, 08:08 PM
A guy? WTF I would have expected that from some horse broad

I wasn't surprised at all give this area. His truck said that he was an "equine instructor" :D

LittleLebowski
09-20-2015, 08:10 PM
Went and helped load hay for them, then shot suppressed .22 and glassed the property :cool:

Malamute
09-21-2015, 12:44 AM
Well done, all around.

Matt O
09-21-2015, 09:55 AM
Nice man! As you yourself know, given how hard it is to get access to huntable property in VA, that's a pretty sweet score.

LittleLebowski
09-21-2015, 09:57 AM
Nice man! As you yourself know, given how hard it is to get access to huntable property in VA, that's a pretty sweet score.

Yeah, I was close to PMing you about this and decided that it wouldn't be nice :D The landowners were shocked at how much work I did yesterday and tried to pay me. Hunting their land unrestricted will be fine.

One of my views while glassing:
https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/12009758_476870855824476_1641627704048664842_n.jpg ?oh=93c055a0388eb63454e4d70bcfedd844&oe=56605FA0

Matt O
09-21-2015, 10:04 AM
Ha, well I'll admit I am slightly jealous. I don't have any property to hunt on for the rifle season, though I also don't even have a rifle of sufficient hunting caliber for VA. Malamute's posts always have me scouring vaguntrader's posts for used win 94's though, so perhaps I will remedy this caliber oversight.

Depending on the topography and size of the property and the combination of woods/fields, you could have some pretty awesome options for hunting spots. Now you just need to go get yourself that crossbow so you can hunt straight from October through December.

LostDuke
09-21-2015, 10:05 AM
Karma is good, smile and nail some of those delicious hogs! Well done.

Last Saturday I took care and fed the dog of a crazy neighbor (so I am told, never met him) who managed to sneak away through the fence. The poor dog is very often left alone and looks very sad. In return, I didn't even get so much as a thank you. Oh well.

Alpha Sierra
09-21-2015, 10:37 AM
Karma is good, smile and nail some of those delicious hogs! Well done.

Last Saturday I took care and fed the dog of a crazy neighbor (so I am told, never met him) who managed to sneak away through the fence. The poor dog is very often left alone and looks very sad. In return, I didn't even get so much as a thank you. Oh well.

The dog thanked you.

LittleLebowski
09-21-2015, 10:42 AM
Ha, well I'll admit I am slightly jealous. I don't have any property to hunt on for the rifle season, though I also don't even have a rifle of sufficient hunting caliber for VA. Malamute's posts always have me scouring vaguntrader's posts for used win 94's though, so perhaps I will remedy this caliber oversight.

Depending on the topography and size of the property and the combination of woods/fields, you could have some pretty awesome options for hunting spots. Now you just need to go get yourself that crossbow so you can hunt straight from October through December.

I wish I could loan you a suppressed 308.

Robinson
09-21-2015, 12:14 PM
I wasn't surprised at all give this area. His truck said that he was an "equine instructor" :D

His horse probably thinks the guy's a dork too.

Matt O
09-21-2015, 12:23 PM
I wish I could loan you a suppressed 308.

I just need to get off my ass and get a larger bore hunting set up for myself. Was suppressed shooting part of their requirement for access or just a personal preference?

LittleLebowski
09-21-2015, 12:27 PM
I just need to get off my ass and get a larger bore hunting set up for myself. Was suppressed shooting part of their requirement for access or just a personal preference?

The latter. It doesn't hurt, though.

RoyGBiv
09-21-2015, 12:31 PM

Not defending the guy, but, some of those high end horses can get spooked pretty easily and random dogs can be a danger to rider safety.
"Good fences make for good neighbors" is frequently a truism.
Sounds like you made lots of lemonade from somebody elses discarded lemons. Well done.

LittleLebowski
09-21-2015, 01:33 PM
Not defending the guy, but, some of those high end horses can get spooked pretty easily and random dogs can be a danger to rider safety.
"Good fences make for good neighbors" is frequently a truism.
Sounds like you made lots of lemonade from somebody elses discarded lemons. Well done.

Yes but I make a practice of "never letting the man into your life" and that extends to other people's lives. So, I won't take a dog to the pound or involve Animal Control if I can help it.

I was pondering what would have happened if the wrong, fearful person had been rushed by one of these dogs - a large, male Doberman. He's a nice pooch, I'm glad nothing bad happened.

Alpha Sierra
09-21-2015, 04:50 PM

I can see both sides of the fence as someone who has been a pretty serious equestrian and has been given the privilege to ride other people's $$$$ horses.

But at the end of the day, a well trained horse will ignore nuisances like stray dogs and if necessary, deals with the aggressive ones not by spooking but by defending itself with hoof and teeth.

Some of the most expensive horses out there are made fox hunters. One of the reasons they're so highly prized (besides their obvious athletic ability) is their temperament and that includes their temperament around foxhounds. A good hunter can tell the difference between a hound and a cur dog, and protect the former while stomping the latter if need be.

I taught a QH mare that I had on lease that stray dogs would fear her more than she feared them if she went after them on cue. Made for a lot safer riding for me.

LittleLebowski
09-21-2015, 05:00 PM
I can see both sides of the fence as someone who has been a pretty serious equestrian and has been given the privilege to ride other people's $$$$ horses.

But at the end of the day, a well trained horse will ignore nuisances like stray dogs and if necessary, deals with the aggressive ones not by spooking but by defending itself with hoof and teeth.

Some of the most expensive horses out there are made fox hunters. One of the reasons they're so highly prized (besides their obvious athletic ability) is their temperament and that includes their temperament around foxhounds. A good hunter can tell the difference between a hound and a cur dog, and protect the former while stomping the latter if need be.

I taught a QH mare that I had on lease that stray dogs would fear her more than she feared them if she went after them on cue. Made for a lot safer riding for me.

Nice to see you working with a good breed of horse for once :D

LittleLebowski
09-21-2015, 05:31 PM

Matt, please consider borrowing what I have that is legal for Virginia deer rifle season which is either an open sighted Swedish match rifle (CG63 (http://www.simpsonltd.com/product_info.php?products_id=27428)) or my Remington 700 (https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xta1/v/t1.0-9/12011407_473440136167548_8019921778117035464_n.jpg ?oh=a0ed7cf7a619f39d7de878e2c7adf235&oe=569E7505) in .308 sans suppressor but with a badfuckingass scope.

We can work together to coordinate usage for a day or two here and there.

Alpha Sierra
09-21-2015, 05:37 PM
Nice to see you working with a good breed of horse for once :D

You know, I don't really have a breed bias, but I'll never understand putting a saddle on a cart horse (perchs, fresians, etc)

I AM a sucker for a solid American Thoroughbred though, you know what I'm talkin about

LittleLebowski
09-21-2015, 06:40 PM
You know, I don't really have a breed bias, but I'll never understand putting a saddle on a cart horse (perchs, fresians, etc)

I AM a sucker for a solid American Thoroughbred though, you know what I'm talkin about

I've only been exposed to a Belgian, Appaloosas, and Shetlands outside of AQHs. Tethering a colt to Big Pete the Belgian works wonders for manners :D

Matt O
09-21-2015, 08:11 PM
Matt, please consider borrowing what I have that is legal for Virginia deer rifle season which is either an open sighted Swedish match rifle (CG63 (http://www.simpsonltd.com/product_info.php?products_id=27428)) or my Remington 700 (https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xta1/v/t1.0-9/12011407_473440136167548_8019921778117035464_n.jpg ?oh=a0ed7cf7a619f39d7de878e2c7adf235&oe=569E7505) in .308 sans suppressor but with a badfuckingass scope.

We can work together to coordinate usage for a day or two here and there.

Much appreciated man, but the two areas I have hunt access to are bow only so my lack of large bore hunting calibers is a bit of a moot point. :)

LittleLebowski
09-21-2015, 09:13 PM
Much appreciated man, but the two areas I have hunt access to are bow only so my lack of large bore hunting calibers is a bit of a moot point. :)

Copy, the offer is there if you find better spots to hunt.

voodoo_man
09-22-2015, 07:38 AM
Only bow hunt? No problem...

http://i.imgur.com/mwEyq6i.jpg

Saw it and had to post...

Matt O
09-22-2015, 08:12 AM
Well I suppose that would obviate the need for field dressing afterwards. Instant deer burger!