PDA

View Full Version : HK USP Compact 9mm

azerious
09-18-2015, 11:24 PM
Any love for these here? They seem to also be a G19 size DA/SA gun. I ask because I have chance to get an older 1997 KH date code H&K USP 9mm Compact with Stainless slide.

The trade would be my
NIB Gen4 G17 FDE with Trijicon HD NS

for his
1997 HK USPc 9mm Stainless, 5 10rd mag's (will ahve to sell/swap these) and box. Less than 100 rounds fired.

Chime in if you think i should make the deal. I should also state i would have to change out the Firing Pin, FPS, Firing pin block, and FPB spring to the newest generation (about $110) so was curious if that might be a deal breaker

Here are some pics because why not:cool:

it's pretty much brand new looking from pictures. (it's an online deal)

http://i58.tinypic.com/1glvt0.jpg
http://i57.tinypic.com/r9mr2a.jpg

GJM
09-18-2015, 11:45 PM
USP C is a good gun, but in that size I prefer a P2000. P2000 is $630 or so new now.

Luke
09-19-2015, 12:12 AM
Beautiful looking gun! Looks unfired. I'd trade in a heartbeat. Just curious, why would you have to get rid of the mags? I thought even in slave states you could have 10 rounders?

azerious
09-19-2015, 12:26 AM
Beautiful looking gun! Looks unfired. I'd trade in a heartbeat. Just curious, why would you have to get rid of the mags? I thought even in slave states you could have 10 rounders?

Free state here, 10 rounders are a waste, would sell and buy 13 rounders

azerious
09-19-2015, 12:27 AM
USP C is a good gun, but in that size I prefer a P2000. P2000 is $630 or so new now.

I hate the ambi slide release on the 2000's, plus i like the grip texture better on the older USPc's

StraitR
09-19-2015, 01:10 AM
What about the Glock makes you want to get rid of it? What about the USPc makes you want to have it? I absolutely loath the USP rail, or lack there of. I can appreciate that the USP is still being made, but the fact that it still requires a rail adapter 22 years later is lunacy.

azerious
09-19-2015, 01:50 AM
What about the Glock makes you want to get rid of it? What about the USPc makes you want to have it? I absolutely loath the USP rail, or lack there of. I can appreciate that the USP is still being made, but the fact that it still requires a rail adapter 22 years later is lunacy.

The HK USP compacts feel good in the hand, but so do my glocks. As for trading...I'm interested mostly since i have been carrying AIWB for the past 5 years a DA/SA is a huge piece of mind as of late, and i'm dying waiting for the gadget to ship:(

I've never fired a USPc and have been intrigued to do so.

Truthfully however, I'm kind of having second thoughts after reading i have to replace all the firing pin stuff. I know I don't HAVE TO, but i want best of the best and newest gen internals on a carry gun.

That ad's almost $115 to it, then i have to sell the commie mags for regular 13rd's LOL

I don't know...lol

1986s4
09-19-2015, 08:32 AM
For me, it's DA/SA or DAO for AIWB carry. If I were to carry a HK USPc that way it would be hammer down, safety on. But that's me.

newyork
09-19-2015, 09:37 AM
Decock ed plus the safety on?

Poconnor
09-19-2015, 10:15 AM
I had one and I liked it. I traded it off because of the USP rail for a P30L.

azerious
09-19-2015, 10:22 AM
Thinking I might pass on the deal and keep the G17 and patiently wait for my gadget. Having to swap mags for full cap, $40 new mags, and all the firing pin shit turns me off. Plus if I go back to DA/SA it might be the M9A3 lol

Sero Sed Serio
09-19-2015, 02:42 PM
Thinking I might pass on the deal and keep the G17 and patiently wait for my gadget. Having to swap mags for full cap, $40 new mags, and all the firing pin shit turns me off. Plus if I go back to DA/SA it might be the M9A3 lol

Just as an FYI CDNN regularly has NIB LE only-marked USPc/P2000 mags with flat floorplates for around $22. Keep an eye out for their fliers.

That being said, this is a fair deal, but not such an amazing deal that you couldn't pass it up.

HCM
09-19-2015, 06:53 PM
Gen4 Glock vs HK USP C is really dealers choice. I carried a 40 cal USP C LEM as my duty gun and primary off duty for 8 years. It was late 1990's production. I broke a firing pin about half way through, around 2003 or 2004. Any USPC dated 2004/2005 or later should be good to go and have the latest, 3rd generation firing pin. Based on the photo of the gun you are considering trading for the date code appears to be KH or 2007 so you shouldn't need to change the firing pin.

azerious
09-19-2015, 06:58 PM
Gen4 Glock vs HK USP C is really dealers choice. I can tell you I carried a 40 cal USP C LEM as my duty gun and primary off duty for 8 years. I broke a firing pin about half way through,

Yeah, really leaning on keeping the G17

HCM
09-19-2015, 07:11 PM
Yeah, really leaning on keeping the G17

I was editing the post when you posted this. Long story short H K addressed the firing pin issue. Any USP compact date 2004 or 2005 or newer is good to go. The gun you posted as a potential trade is decoded KH which is 2007. So if you do trade for it you should not need to swap out the firing pin. It should be good to go.

I'm sorry if that partial post made it seem like I was negative about the USP compact. I am not. In fact I was holding on to my issued USPC as long as I could. I only gave it up because I sent it home with one of my partners after his was taken as evidence in a shooting. The closest spare guns were 5 hours away and I was the only one in the office with an agency approved 2nd gun. We also ran ridiculously hot 155 grain ammo which regularly broke Beretta brigadiers.

azerious
09-19-2015, 07:38 PM
I was editing the post when you posted this. Long story short H K addressed the firing pin issue. Any USP compact date 2004 or 2005 or newer is good to go. The gun you posted as a potential trade is decoded KH which is 2007. So if you do trade for it you should not need to swap out the firing pin. It should be good to go.

I'm sorry if that partial post made it seem like I was negative about the USP compact. I am not. In fact I was holding on to my issued USPC as long as I could. I only gave it up because I sent it home with one of my partners after his was taken as evidence in a shooting. The closest spare guns were 5 hours away and I was the only one in the office with an agency approved 2nd gun. We also ran ridiculously hot 155 grain ammo which regularly broke Beretta brigadiers.

KH is 1997. :-( bad firing pin

Kyle Reese
09-19-2015, 07:39 PM
Keep the Glock 17.

GJM
09-19-2015, 07:42 PM
I am just in from shooting my USP 45, and I have been shooting that, a USP C .40 and .45, and P2000 9 and .40 all summer. I too prefer the texture on the USP and USP C. However, I feel like the thumb safety is not ergonomic on the USP and USP C and converted mine to V 3, decocker only.

In 9, I feel the USP C feels larger, and for concealed carry the P2000 is noticeably sleeker, plus has the advantage of a standard light rail.

If I had to choose just two, it would be the USP 45 as a field gun (ha, what a surprise) and a P2000 9 for CCW.

GJM
09-19-2015, 07:43 PM
Keep the Glock 17.

Remember the redhead thing, Fred. You date a Glock and marry a HK.

LSP972
09-19-2015, 08:57 PM
... i like the grip texture better on the older USPc's

Me too. I have a 9mm and a .40. Be sure to put an HK45C mag release lever on it. That makes a big difference to most folks.

Kyle Reese
09-19-2015, 09:05 PM
Remember the redhead thing, Fred. You date a Glock and marry a HK.

Duly noted. :)

My only real gripe with the USP series is the proprietary rail. My USP 9 was rock solid, and I should have kept it and converted it to LEM.

HCM
09-19-2015, 10:38 PM
KH is 1997. :-( bad firing pin

Crap- you're right a= 0

HCM
09-19-2015, 10:53 PM
Duly noted. :)

My only real gripe with the USP series is the proprietary rail. My USP 9 was rock solid, and I should have kept it and converted it to LEM.

60 Lumens of blinding light..,,,,

http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr324/hcm3156/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_16201.jpg
http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr324/hcm3156/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_10491.jpg

GJM
09-19-2015, 11:13 PM
That pistol seems happy to see someone.

LSP552
09-20-2015, 09:20 AM
60 Lumens of blinding light..,,,,

Nice light from the stone age. Thanks for reminding me about working with crew-served lights on non-rail SIGs.

newyork
09-20-2015, 09:51 AM
http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt134/rslamiroult/IMG_20150917_023933.jpg (http://s605.photobucket.com/user/rslamiroult/media/IMG_20150917_023933.jpg.html)

GG&G rail and TLR-1 HL. Surefire makes a rail too . GG&G is like $50.

eyemahm
09-20-2015, 10:42 AM
GG&G rail and TLR-1 HL. Surefire makes a rail too . GG&G is like $50.

Streamlight makes an adaptor so you can mount the light directly to the proprietary rail. For the TLR1/2, it's about $50 and for the TLR3/4, it's under $20. I think surefire also makes an adaptor for the full size, but I'm not sure about the compact.

I messed with one of the picatinny rail setups on a USP (not the GG&G) and found it moved the light significantly lower, into a position where it was harder to activate. Besides that, it added unnecessary bulk, and wouldn't fit into a safari land holster designed for that gun/light combo, so I ponied up and got the direct mount from streamlight.

The adaptor is a 2-3 inch aluminum bar that fits tight and flush with the long rail. Compared to a pic rail mount that has a fraction of the rail contact, I have a greater degree of confidence that nothing is going to move the light on the gun.

1986s4
09-20-2015, 01:29 PM
Could the polymer dust cover be reshaped to the standard picatinny rail? Much like the folks who reshape Glocks?

LSP972
09-20-2015, 10:08 PM
You can whittle on a TLR-1 in a few key spots (and remove the cross-wise rail), thin down the existing lower rails on the pistol just a skosh, and make it fit. I did that to my USPc .40. Problem is, it won't hold up to a lot of shooting. Without any transverse support (provided by the cross rail, which is now missing), the light will move backwards under repeated recoil and start chewing up the dust cover.

If you carry the piece by itself, and only need the light for the bedside table at night, then this will work. I still have that pistol, and the "modded" TLR-1. But if you want to carry the pistol with a light, and shoot it a lot, then you're better off with one of the rail adapters. Problem there is, the pistol is now worthless for most holsters, unless you remove the adapter along with the light. Doable, but a significant rectal discomfort.

Forgot to add: cutting a groove for that transverse support will mean defacing the serial # plate… and little things like that tend to annoy the feds.

GJM
09-20-2015, 10:11 PM
I am looking forward to getting a JM AIWB for the P2000 and new Surefire mini light.

HCM
09-20-2015, 10:29 PM
I am looking forward to getting a JM AIWB for the P2000 and new Surefire mini light.

It Tony taking orders for XC-1 holsters?

GJM
09-20-2015, 11:04 PM

Not sure, although I know he plans to make them. I would just order, note that SF in the comments, to get in the queue.

Sero Sed Serio
09-20-2015, 11:08 PM

I e-mailed Tony about the P2000/XC1 combo on Thursday or Friday. He is planning on supporting the XC1, and currently has orders in with 3 different vendors to get one. As soon as he gets a light in, he'll start making the holsters. He told me to just keep an eye on the website and put in an order when the option pops up, so wait I shall. My XC1 has a wait of 7-9 weeks per Optics Planet, so I'm not going to stress it too much.

Croesus
09-23-2015, 09:01 AM
Late chiming in on this thread. But my .02.

Make the trade. It is a good idea to update the internals of the USPc for the newer parts. Eliminates one worry. As a second update, I would recommend the LEM trigger; light or TLG setup.

The USPc 9 has been more reliable in my hands than any of the 8 Glock 19's I have owned over the years. Not bashing the Glock, they are clearly very reliable for almost everyone else on the planet. Really wanted them to work for me, have lots of mags and leather, but in the end they have been given to family or sit in the safe. The Glock 17 is just a bit too big for me to easily conceal and cannot serve in the same niche as the 19 or USPc, tried it, didn't work.

I have two USPc 9mm's. One is my daily carry, personally owned and agency approved. The second sits in the safe as a spare -- one is none, two is... you get the point. the daily gun has proven to be extraordinarily reliable. I owned the pistol for two years before making the switch from a Sig P229. If it carries any weight with you, I carried a 229 at two different agencies, 16 years total, before changing platforms. I still have an agency issued P229 that sits in my office safe. The USPc to was the better firearm for my needs. I have fired 12k through the carry gun (a mix of loads, the majority 115, 124,147 ball; around three thousand HP - primarily Speer GDHP), since 2011, have not had a weapon malfunction. Long story short, highly recommend.