PDA

View Full Version : Suppressor-A-Palooza 1

LittleLebowski
09-16-2015, 07:00 PM
<work in progress, Hansohn Brothers and punkey71 will be correcting me and adding on as they see fit>

Hansohn Brothers, punkey71, and I met up at the range today to shoot with some suppressors. At first we simply tried different suppressors on different hosts but then the sound meter was broken out and we went crazy with that.

Here are the suppressors we tried (will be edited)

Sparrow
Spectre II
Dead Air Mask
AAC Element II
Warlock II
Saker 556
Saker 762
Thunderbeast (TBAC) 22l-1
Griffin M4SD II

I was surprised to find that all of the rimfire suppressors but one had FRP (first round pop) to some degree. The one that did not was the lone sealed rimfire suppressor, the TBAC 22l-1. That thing metered quieter than anything else. It was stomp down amazing. The Dead Air Mask felt like a very slightly improved Element 2. The Warlock II was slightly the loudest rimfire suppressor there but still very hearing safe.

Tone matters as we all agreed after listening to the Sakers versus the Griffin. The tone of my Sakers was noticeably more pleasant to the ear than that of the Griffin.

These were not all scientific tests although many were and there was data captured.

This was fun as hell. Everyone should own at least one rimfire suppressor, preferably two.

voodoo_man
09-16-2015, 07:09 PM
Pix or vid or it didnt happen.

Hansohn Brothers
09-16-2015, 07:30 PM

Nuts. LL will attest that I did say we should have taken pics and/or video. :rolleyes:

Hansohn Brothers
09-16-2015, 07:41 PM
Another thing we noted was the host also made a difference. The action on the 22/45 was much quieter than the M&P22c.

Suppressor-A-Poolza 2 will be better planned. ;)

punkey71
09-16-2015, 07:48 PM
We'll have pics/vid and some data written down next outing.

LL's Saker was definetely deeper than my M4SD II. We were using different length hosts though. A 14.5" for him and an 11.5" for me. Im not sure how much, if any, that plays into it but it wasnt apples to apples. Also might have been his 5.45 vs my 5.56 as well...LL will have to confirm that.

I will bring a 16" gun next time and we can swap MD's and use the same ammo for a slightly more definitive comparison of 5.56 cans. End of the day, neither 5.56 can would be shot by me for extended periods. A mag or two, ok. All day? Nope.

That TBAC 22-L was the most impressive to me. Quietest, if I remember correctly, and the second lightest at ~4oz. I'd love to run the TBAC S (short) version next time and see how many DBs we lose. If its negligible Chris WILL be ordering me a TBAC S as my pistol can and the Spectre II stays on the rifles.

At the end of the day it was fun and informative.

Get a 22 can as LL says. They are the most (least?) bang for your buck. All were very hearing safe as you would expect. Weight is what would be the deciding factor for me if pistol use is a priority. While even the heaviest 22 cans (~6-7oz Mask, Spectre, Sparrow) were very manageable, when a 3 or 4oz can went on it was quite noticable to me.

Supress-A-Palooza II is in the works.

Stay tuned!

And if you need a can get a hold of Chris at Hansohn Bros. He's got the goods AND the service.

punkey71
09-16-2015, 08:03 PM
Hosts list -

22/45 Lite x 3 (All of us had one)
M&P22 (LL)
Ruger American Rimfire 22 (me)
Savage bolt 22 (?) (Chris)
M&P 15-22 (Chris)
BCM 11.5 5.56 (Me)
14.5 5.45 (?) (LL)
16" 5.56 (LL)

Next time I will have -

RMR'd G19 w/SilencerCo threaded barrel and Griffin Revolution 9

10/22 Takedown

We will document host, ammo, suppressor, DBs and FPS.

voodoo_man
09-16-2015, 08:49 PM
Nuts. LL will attest that I did say we should have taken pics and/or video. :rolleyes:

Thats why you invite someone with a nice camera.

Wink wink

punkey71
09-16-2015, 08:58 PM
Thats why you invite someone with a nice camera.

Wink wink

Plug Fredericksburg, VA into the GPS and see if the trip is doable for you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Drang
09-16-2015, 09:06 PM
Tone matters as we all agreed after listening to the Sakers versus the Griffin. The tone of my Sakers was noticeably more pleasant to the ear than that of the Griffin.

MP3 or it didn't happen.

voodoo_man
09-16-2015, 09:21 PM
Plug Fredericksburg, VA into the GPS and see if the trip is doable for you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

VA isn't far and all I need is enough notice.

If LL decides to be generous it wouldnt hurt to have a spot to crash, I bring whiskey, scotch and other fine spirits as tribute.

LittleLebowski
09-16-2015, 10:10 PM
VA isn't far and all I need is enough notice.

If LL decides to be generous it wouldnt hurt to have a spot to crash, I bring whiskey, scotch and other fine spirits as tribute.

I'm open.

LittleLebowski
09-17-2015, 06:52 AM
Good, because your camera sucks.

Dude, I will have you know that it is an iPhone 5S.

JR1572
09-17-2015, 07:17 AM
Dude, I will have you know that it is an iPhone 5S.

I thought I was on the only person in the world still rolling around with a 5s.

JR1572

LittleLebowski
09-17-2015, 07:20 AM
I thought I was on the only person in the world still rolling around with a 5s.

JR1572

Work pays for it and I'm too cheap to buy my own phone when I have unlimited data that I don't pay for.

LittleLebowski
09-17-2015, 07:29 AM
Either your camera module is messed up, or your settings are. Your pictures always seem a bit dark and the color off.

I think it is messed up as well. FREE DATA THOUGH. I've averaged 10 gigs a month this year.

LittleLebowski
09-17-2015, 07:49 AM
I hope they also provide free Gatorade or something to help keep you hydrated.

http://www.brawndo.com/images/Brawndo_Social_Head.gif

LittleLebowski
09-17-2015, 12:55 PM
The TBAC 22l-1 (https://thunderbeastarms.com/products/22l-1) is on my very short list of "must have cans."

JMS
09-17-2015, 07:32 PM
If I can get more than 12hrs of lead-time on a next go-around (you rat bastards), I can drag along the roommate, who's a colossal photo/video/editing queer with about 6 metric tons of equipment.

By "queer," I mean "professional."

Zak Smith
09-17-2015, 10:05 PM
That TBAC 22-L was the most impressive to me. Quietest, if I remember correctly, and the second lightest at ~4oz. I'd love to run the TBAC S (short) version next time and see how many DBs we lose. If its negligible Chris WILL be ordering me a TBAC S as my pistol can and the Spectre II stays on the rifles.

Thanks for the note! And thanks to Shep for inviting me over. I've been on gun forums since before 2000, don't have too much time to browse now, but I try to duck in from time to time (or when summoned).

The 22L-1 is really under-rated, and your testing corroborates what we've done on the meter. It's very quiet. Personally, I use the shorter one (actually I still use an old 22S model) on my Ruger 22/45.

http://demigodllc.com/photo/TBAC-22/tbacsm/D462_5075_img.jpg

Many people rule out sealed .22 cans due to perceived "unserviceability", however, the thing with titanium is that you can use the chemical and ultrasonic means to clean them that may damage aluminum cans. Thus how you "service" it is just different.

StraitR
09-17-2015, 10:15 PM
Zak, I've been reading and appreciating your perspectives in forum posts and DG articles since before LT rails were cool. Not sure how, but I had no idea you were part of TBAC. This changes some things for me.

Welcome to PF, good to have you here.

Malamute
09-17-2015, 10:31 PM
Welcome Zak, I was going to send a PM but you arent set up for it.

I've read a number of your pieces on long range shooting, do you have any recent articles?

Zak Smith
09-18-2015, 01:10 AM
Been too busy with running TBAC and shooting matches out here, and family, to get more articles done.

punkey71
09-18-2015, 05:06 AM
The 22L-1 is really under-rated, and your testing corroborates what we've done on the meter. It's very quiet. Personally, I use the shorter one (actually I still use an old 22S model) on my Ruger 22/45.

http://demigodllc.com/photo/TBAC-22/tbacsm/D462_5075_img.jpg

Many people rule out sealed .22 cans due to perceived "unserviceability", however, the thing with titanium is that you can use the chemical and ultrasonic means to clean them that may damage aluminum cans. Thus how you "service" it is just different.

Awesome info, thanks.

Honestly, TBAC wasnt really on my radar when shopping for my 22 can last year - not sure if I have a solid reason but it just seemed to not be one of the ones people were talking about.

After shooting it, there should certainly be MORE talk about it.

Extremely impressive. All of us were amazed at the weight/sound performance.

Id love to try the short - hopefully sooner than later. Perhaps Shep or Hansohn can arrange that.....

Thanks Zak!

LittleLebowski
09-20-2015, 06:53 AM
Zak, how does the 22s meter compared to the 22l? One of those will be my next rimfire can. Also, PM out.

Hansohn Brothers
09-20-2015, 09:39 AM
Id love to try the short - hopefully sooner than later. Perhaps Shep or Hansohn can arrange that.....

Thanks Zak!
Wish granted. I have the 22S-1 on order. :D

Zak Smith
09-20-2015, 10:01 AM
Zak, how does the 22s meter compared to the 22l? One of those will be my next rimfire can. Also, PM out.

On .22LR, it's usually within 1-2 dB but has a little bit more FRP (generally observable on meter but I don't notice it shooting it)

punkey71
09-20-2015, 10:35 AM
Wish granted. I have the 22S-1 on order. :D
Excellent.