PDA

View Full Version : The Remington 1100...

Jared
09-15-2015, 05:39 PM
Ok, so I don't really wanna start up a whole big controversial thing. I know 1100's aren't all that popular around here and I'm cool with that. Still, I love the old things, and have a couple (one is a "family heirloom") that I use for the occasional clay bird get togethers and trips to actual skeet fields.

I don't really pour the rounds to them, and I don't use them for defensive stuff. Still, I'm sure there's somebody here that has ran them pretty hard, and I'm wanting to know what breaks and when, as well as what kind of a PM schedule I should adhere to. This is mostly important for the "family heirloom" as I'd like for it to still be running to be passed down to one of my kids.

pablo
09-15-2015, 07:23 PM
http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=113015

ADulay
09-15-2015, 08:04 PM
Ok, so I don't really wanna start up a whole big controversial thing. I know 1100's aren't all that popular around here and I'm cool with that. Still, I love the old things, and have a couple (one is a "family heirloom") that I use for the occasional clay bird get togethers and trips to actual skeet fields.

I don't really pour the rounds to them, and I don't use them for defensive stuff. Still, I'm sure there's somebody here that has ran them pretty hard, and I'm wanting to know what breaks and when, as well as what kind of a PM schedule I should adhere to. This is mostly important for the "family heirloom" as I'd like for it to still be running to be passed down to one of my kids.

I believe I bought my 1100 in 1970.

I've run it as a general purpose trap gun for all those years.

Just ran another 100 rounds through it last week.

I did purchase a slug barrel for it and have used that for maybe 500 rounds as most of the shooting was for trap.

Nothing's broke so far and I do not treat it like a safe queen.

There is a reason I still have it after all these years. It continues to work every time I drag it out to a small gathering of like minded shooters with a throwing machine.

AD

SLG
09-15-2015, 10:40 PM
I think they're cool. Tank's used to do them up nice.

Jared
09-16-2015, 11:01 AM
Pablo, thanksl you, that was very helpful.

SLG, if you don't mind, would you elaborate a bit on your 1100 experiences in general. Mine are entirely hunting and clay shooting based, but I'd be interested in hearing how they do in other arenas.

SLG
09-16-2015, 11:15 AM
Ha, I just did.

WDW
09-16-2015, 01:54 PM
The rubber O rings need to be replaced every once in a while. Other than that, I've never had anything break on any of mine.

BN
09-16-2015, 03:23 PM
I got my 1100 in around 1981 to shoot the Second Chance Banzai Charge Bang and Clang. It has a slug barrel. Cylinder and Slide opened up the ports so it would run with light loads. Steve Nastoff put an Ithica Ray Bar front sight on it and Wayne Novak put one of those flapper EZ loaders on it and went over the action. That all took place around the early 1980s. I have cleaned it 3 or 4 times since that.

I drag it out every time there is a steel man on man shoot off. That may be the only shotgun that has ever beaten Rob Haught in a shoot off. :) He brings his old 1100 instead of a pump gun if he knows I am going to be there for a shoot off. ;) I have no idea how many rounds it has fired. I have replaced the o-rings about as many times as I have cleaned it. I have heard that they don't hold up to a lot of 3-gun, but mine has been fine.

Jared
09-16-2015, 04:06 PM
I got my 1100 in around 1981 to shoot the Second Chance Banzai Charge Bang and Clang. It has a slug barrel. Cylinder and Slide opened up the ports so it would run with light loads. Steve Nastoff put an Ithica Ray Bar front sight on it and Wayne Novak put one of those flapper EZ loaders on it and went over the action. That all took place around the early 1980s. I have cleaned it 3 or 4 times since that.

I drag it out every time there is a steel man on man shoot off. That may be the only shotgun that has ever beaten Rob Haught in a shoot off. :) He brings his old 1100 instead of a pump gun if he knows I am going to be there for a shoot off. ;) I have no idea how many rounds it has fired. I have replaced the o-rings about as many times as I have cleaned it. I have heard that they don't hold up to a lot of 3-gun, but mine has been fine.

Good to hear. 3-gunners were the primary people I heard complaining about them myself. I never got any specifics, it was just a bunch of "1100's suck." I've personally found them to be very reliable as long as they got a little TLC. My father taught me on them when I was but a kid, and his rule of thumb was pull the forend, wipe mag tube and the gas rings down, oil lightly after each shooting session. Eventually, you had to pull the bolt carrier and trigger group and clean more thoroughly, but that wasn't a super common occurrence for me.

SMD
09-16-2015, 05:35 PM
Well, this is timely. I've got a 1970 1100 that I shot extensively over about ten years of upland hunting. I like so much about it including its balance, its soft recoil, and an operating system that just makes sense to me.

Only problem is the interceptor latch spring will jump free of the interceptor latch on a random basis. Who are the good 1100 smiths out there? Does anyone offer the equivalent of the Wilson Combat Remington Steal package?

Kyle Reese
09-16-2015, 05:56 PM
My dad is a bit of an 1100 aficionado, and his oldest one was made in 1968. They're heavy and a bit dated, but I'd snap one up if the price was right.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BN
09-16-2015, 06:02 PM
Only problem is the interceptor latch spring will jump free of the interceptor latch on a random basis. Who are the good 1100 smiths out there? Does anyone offer the equivalent of the Wilson Combat Remington Steal package?

I just remembered that I had to bend something in mine. It wasn't feeding all the time. There is something in there that has to be staked.

SMD
09-16-2015, 06:43 PM
Correct. One leg of the interceptor latch spring is staked to the receiver. The other leg engages a slot in the interceptor latch itself. Brownell's does sell larger sizes of the clip that retains the interceptor latch on its stud. That's the next fix I'll try.

Anyhow, I don't want to take away from the OP's questions even more than I already have. There is so much to like about the 1100. I just wish mine worked. And yes on the O-rings. That's about the only wear part most of us need to worry about.

Jared
09-16-2015, 06:51 PM
Correct. One leg of the interceptor latch spring is staked to the receiver. The other leg engages a slot in the interceptor latch itself. Brownell's does sell larger sizes of the clip that retains the interceptor latch on its stud. That's the next fix I'll try.

Anyhow, I don't want to take away from the OP's questions even more than I already have. There is so much to like about the 1100. I just wish mine worked. And yes on the O-rings. That's about the only wear part most of us need to worry about.

By all means dude, don't worry about derailing, anything you got to share, I'm all ears. If I'm gonna keep my stuff running I gotta hear all I can

pablo
09-16-2015, 07:05 PM
1100's "suck" for 3 gun because the shell carrier latch can make for slow reloading, and reloading the shotgun is usually the make it or break it part of three gun. I think most people say they "suck" because they're not Benelli, even though they probably have never picked either one up.

ranger
09-16-2015, 08:23 PM
I like the Remington 1100. I was very active in clay shooting and saw many 1100s on skeet, trap, and sporting clays. I have Remington 1100's in 20 gauge and 28 gauge for small bore matches and there is a Remington 1100 Competition Master 12 gauge in the closet for HD.