PDA

View Full Version : to pocket pistol or ???

AKFloorguy
09-15-2011, 04:04 PM
I am a new member and have been lurking around for a while. I am currently looking at carry options, right now I am leaning towards getting a pocket pistol. Before I get started I have been reading and understand that it is possible to conceal something larger than a sub-compact .

Now a little about me, so that you have some background and understand why I am leaning towards a pocket gun. I am a commercial flooring installer and my company has normally done new construction and larger projects, with the economy the way it is we are doing more remodels than new construction and the remodels at least recently have been in either “transitional” neighborhoods or just “bad” neighborhoods. I also have the pleasure of getting to work nights at these locations and even more recently working alone. Due to the exhaust of one of our machines used for grinding concrete I have to leave all outside entrances to the buildings open so that it doesn’t smell.

My everyday set-up, I am left handed right eye dominant and shoot right handed. At work I have a tool pouch that is worn between 8-9 o’clock and a tape measure between 3-4 o’clock. When installing flooring or using a hand grinder I am on my knees bent over ruling out 1 o’clock carry (comfort reasons anything in front would be digging into my stomach) and 6 o’clock, I can’t think of any way I could conceal anything there very similar situation with 3-4 o’clock carry. I thought about ankle carry however the kneepads I wear go from my knee down my shin and the Velcro strap is at ankle level.
As far as handguns go I currently have a Colt Govt Model series 70, Taurus PT92 (it was a gift), S&W Mountain Gun in 44mag, and a Walther P22. Anyway I go I know it will involve getting a new pistol.

I am not married to the pocket idea just from my less experienced perspective it seemed like the best of the alternatives by not adding extra bulk and weight along my belt/waistline along with not having to wear a shirt that if untucked makes me look like I am swimming in it.

Now for what I have been looking at, the Ruger LCP or the S&W Bodyguard in 380. Of those I have been leaning more towards the Bodyguard. Reasons for this have been the slide stop, manual safety and the ability to change the sights to night sights ala xs dot sight or similar, meanwhile the Ruger has size and weight in its corner by a slim margin.

Well that’s pretty much it any and all feedback is appreciated. I have thick skin so if my thinking is all ate up tell me but please help me correct my thinking. Like I said I am not married to the idea it is just the conclusion I came to and would like more experienced people to look it over and point out things I missed/over looked or should think about. Thanks.

Also I am in Alaska so holsters that I can look at or try are pretty much some safariland, galco, uncle mikes and blackhawk otherwise it is all internet research.

ETA I realize that it looks like I left out both Kel-Tec and Kahr and I did mainly due to brand familiarity and that neither of these two offered anything more than the S&W or Ruger.

In all honesty I would love to find a way to make getting an M&P 9c with thumb safety workable but my pockets aren't that big and can't figure out a good carry option for it.

JodyH
09-15-2011, 05:09 PM
For pocket carry I choose a Kahr PM9 9mm.
Same size envelope as the .380's but in a significantly better caliber.

You might also look into getting a disguised holster that would blend in with other items on your tool belt.
You could carry a bigger gun and have faster access.
Something like the Wilderness Safepacker (http://www.thewilderness.com/storepinnacle/index.php?p=catalog&parent=171&pg=1) would work great with a Glock 26 or M&P9C.

VolGrad
09-15-2011, 06:35 PM
For pocket carry I choose a Kahr PM9 9mm.
Same size envelope as the .380's but in a significantly better caliber.
Not quite the same size. Close on paper, but for me the feel is way different between a LCP or Bodyguard and the Kahr.

I agree the Kahr is a good pocket choice in 9mm. However, it's just still too large for me as a pocket gun. Although I don't love a .380 that's what I have gone with for the days I absolutely have to pocket carry as my primary defense .... a LCP.

TNWNGR
09-15-2011, 07:33 PM
I’d suggest an IWB carry with the Colt 1911 you already own, order a good holster and a gun belt as well. Most of the discomfort from carrying a holstered pistol is due to using the wrong type of belt. A well constructed holster and belt will be comfortable to the point you don’t notice the weight.
As for pocket carry I suggest either an S&W 442 or 638, a P3AT Kel Tec or Ruger LCP. All of these are smallish enough to work well in the pocket. I’d be far happier with something larger, but sometimes its awkward to do so.

JConn
09-15-2011, 08:54 PM
I have not tried a wilderness safepacker but I have been looking at them for a couple months as a way to carry while hiking. It seems like it would disappear on a tool belt and allow you to carry a better weapon than a pocket pistol.

JodyH
09-15-2011, 09:52 PM
Not quite the same size. Close on paper, but for me the feel is way different between a LCP or Bodyguard and the Kahr.
I have both a PM9 and a P380.
The size difference is noticeable side by side and in hand, but in my pockets (carpenter pants, khakis, BDU's, cargo shorts) they both carry and conceal the same.

skyugo
09-15-2011, 10:01 PM
my current pocket/deep conceal favorite is the j-frame. picked up a 642 a few months ago. works fine in carharts with a desantis pocket holster.
I sold a glock 26 for fiscal reasons and was sorta trying to convince myself that my g19 was concealable and comfortable enough for every situation... I too work in a construction/industrial type environment which requires bending over, reaching overhead and other things that make standard IWB concealment difficult.
one thing that DOES work with a glock 19 or similar sized gun is wearing a t-shirt tucked over the gun then a dickies works shirt or similar untucked over the top. excellent concealment, still fast to get to....
there's always the smart carry option (thunderwear) which is perfectly comfortable with a g26 or a j-frame. it's super slow to draw from though and a hassle to practice with (maybe related...)
so anyway... it came down to j-frame vs 380 or something, as anything else in 9mm is close enough in size (and particularly weight!) of a glock 19 to make the glock a better choice due to the ease of control and firepower it offers.
In my opinion the j-frame is more reliable and easier to shoot than the standard pocket 380. downsides of course are low capacity, slow reload, and limited power... it's nowhere near 9mm level of power, but has an edge on 380. Not the easiest gun to shoot still, but learnable.

F-Trooper05
09-15-2011, 11:47 PM
What kind of pants do you wear? If you start wearing 5.11's or Vertx or something similarly tacti-cool you can get away with a lot bigger gun than a .380. Don't know if you've ever shot an LCP, but they're not very pleasant.

Also, what part of AK are you in? If you're near Squarebanks I can let you try out a few of my sub-compacts if you're interested.

Odin Bravo One
09-16-2011, 07:03 AM
Something to consider......and it is just a thought................and I am far from the expert on such things.........but having known a few people involved in close encounters of the worst kind.........funny thought that has never run through their mind......"Gee, I wish I had brought a smaller gun".

Like I said, just a thought.

VolGrad
09-16-2011, 07:04 AM
What kind of pants do you wear? If you start wearing 5.11's or Vertx or something similarly tacti-cool you can get away with a lot bigger gun than a .380. Don't know if you've ever shot an LCP, but they're not very pleasant.
I guess I'm the odd ball but I actually like shooting my LCP. I wouldn't take a class with it or anything but I like practicing with it.

My thought on tactical pants is you might as well just OC your weapon if you are going to start wearing 5.11 pants or tactical fishing vests.
:cool:

ford.304
09-16-2011, 07:59 AM
Having worked with a full tool belt... I completely understand why you don't think IWB is the best idea. On the other hand... at least with the way my tool belt fit, it would take me a good five seconds to work anything out of a normal pocket. At that point I'd probably just pull my hammer and go medieval instead of fumbling with my hand stuck in my pockets. You could always pocket carry in one of your tool belt pockets, but at least for me that would result in the nastiest, dirtiest gun you've ever seen.

Just thinking about it, I think that the safepacker or something similar would be the best bet given the toolbelt I normally wear. I admit that I've never used one, though.

F-Trooper05
09-16-2011, 09:51 AM
My thought on tactical pants is you might as well just OC your weapon if you are going to start wearing 5.11 pants or tactical fishing vests.

For blue collar guys like carpet layers, carpenters, electricians, etc. cargo pants are hardly an unusual sight.

GooberTim
09-16-2011, 12:04 PM
For blue collar guys like carpet layers, carpenters, electricians, etc. cargo pants are hardly an unusual sight.

Exakery. I have some cargo shorts that hold a G19 pretty easily in the front pockets, (not the cargo pockets) producing a clean and quick draw. I'd invest in some new britches that could hold a good fighting pistol in a place readily accessible, especially given the details in the OP.

VolGrad
09-16-2011, 04:01 PM

I'm a white collar guy but still wear cargo pants. However, I see a big difference in cargo pants and true tactical pants like 5.11. I don't buy tactical pants any more. I have found that regular cargo pants work fine to allow multiple pockets but still look "regular guy". There is a difference.

F-Trooper05
09-16-2011, 07:42 PM
I'm a white collar guy but still wear cargo pants. However, I see a big difference in cargo pants and true tactical pants like 5.11. I don't buy tactical pants any more. I have found that regular cargo pants work fine to allow multiple pockets but still look "regular guy". There is a difference.

Agreed. I don't wear, nor have I ever worn 5.11's because they scream "tactical." I was merely using 5.11's as an example for the OP. With that said, if wearing 5.11's allows you to carry a bigger gun in your pocket than an LCP, then I personally could care less if a few people who know the difference between cargo pants and tactical pants suspect that I'm strapped.

AKFloorguy
09-20-2011, 06:51 PM
Thanks for the suggestions everyone I didn't disappear just working nights being dad and husband during the day and a weekend moose hunt kept me away.

I will have to look into the safepacker. Thunderwear is out as I am on my knees with bent forward most of the day something in front just won't work.

Normally I am wearing regular old jeans. I can't get 5.11's I can't stand the way they look and scream tactical. Cargo pants typically have the pocket right at the strap level on my knee pads that much material gathered there can doesn't work well as I have tried it before closest I get to cargo pants at work are the Dickies with the cell pocket and normally can't have something in the pocket due to kneepad straps. I have Vertx and love them but not for work.

F-trooper I am in Anchorage lived in Fairbanks from 97 to 06 we did the floor leveling at bentley mall had a drunk fight a 5 foot cyclone fan to get into the building walk into our mud and face plant in it in the middle of one of our pours. Right now I am working at the Northway Mall at the old Gottschalks soon to be Burlington Coat factory.

Ford304 its a tool pouch and tape not a full toolbelt access is a breeze for pockets when I have to grab my phone lol

Thanks for the ideas.

superscribe
09-20-2011, 09:46 PM
i might a few strange looks for this, but if you're by yourself at night, what about a shoulder holster? You can tie the shoulder holster down to a belt to prevent it from swaying back and forth while you work. Put a vest over it and you should be fine.

I don't know must about chest rigs, but a that might be an option as well.

will_1400
09-21-2011, 02:10 PM
I'm far from the most knowledgeable guy on here, but a sholuder/chest rig with a vest is usually called a "shoot me first" setup for a reason.

superscribe
09-21-2011, 02:29 PM
in this case it doesn't really matter, because the op indicated he often worked alone. in such an instance if there is shooting, he is going to be shot at first regardless of what he is wearing.

JodyH
09-21-2011, 04:23 PM
This is a subject for another thread but...
Open carry makes EVERY fight a gun fight.
That's not a situation I want to place myself in.

superscribe
09-21-2011, 04:54 PM
This is a subject for another thread but...
Open carry makes EVERY fight a gun fight.
That's not a situation I want to place myself in.

I'll just let your post fall away since nobody has advocated open carry.

will_1400
09-21-2011, 06:06 PM
A shoulder/chest rig with a vest setup might as well be open carry since it all but broadcasts that you have a gun.

AKFloorguy
09-22-2011, 03:18 PM
Vest isn't going to happen, side note; about 5 years ago a flooring supply store had a "flooring installer" vest with tons of pockets for tools and it hung down to 4-6 inches below waist level. My boss decided to let me try it out to see what I thought. With in 10 minutes it was in the trash.

To give you more of an idea on why I am still not thinking belt carry. This is the position I can be in for an entire day: on my knees hands about a foot to 16 inches in front of me and twisting at the waist 45 degrees. If working around cabinets or under counters I could be down lower almost resting on my forearms. hence 6 oclock wouldn't work out great because anyone walking behind me would see a hump.

at the risk of causing my own thread to degenerate I really just have to say that I fail to see how because I work alone that if there is a shooting I would get shot at first.

Rocket20_Ginsu
09-28-2011, 09:34 PM
It sounds like the safe packer idea and / or the pocket carry route is the way to go. For pocket carry I'm a huge fan of the 642 or 442, they are reliable, light and virtually impervious to pocket lint. Its a good option for your situation because the pistol is relatively secure, discrete and out of the way of your tools. Beware though, if your jeans are loose and you are lying on your back with your knees up and feet flat (like you are about to do a situp) the pistol can slip out. Remember that with pocket carry you need to be proactive, if you feel uncomfortable and the situation permits you should consider establishing a grip on your pistol in the pocket. This can save you several seconds if you do need to present the gun.

GU

JeffJ
09-29-2011, 06:27 AM
at the risk of causing my own thread to degenerate I really just have to say that I fail to see how because I work alone that if there is a shooting I would get shot at first.

If you're alone, who else would they shoot at?