PDA

View Full Version : Help me set-up my pair of Colt 6720 carbines

GJM
09-13-2015, 08:42 PM
Title says it all. Help me set-up a new pair of 6720 carbines. Use is for my wife and I, general purpose training and defense. Want light as possible without compromising function.

Leaning towards a T2, Magpul CTR, SSA trigger, VTAC sling with two QD swivels, although I am open to suggestions. Questions on which rail, which mount for the T2, what BUIS, which vertical grip, and anything else I haven't thought of.

StraitR
09-13-2015, 09:02 PM
Have you thought about the new Trijicon MRO? Looks promising. That said, a T-1 (3.0 oz) or T-2 (3.4 oz) with DD lower 1/3 mount (1.8 oz) is one of the lightest packages. MOE stuff is going to be some of the lightest VFG's, Mbus BUIS, and stocks. I'd lose the QD swivel at the stock attachment point, and thread it through for more weight savings. Surefire x300U's seem to be one of the best ways to go, and pick up a pair of Unity Tactical EXO's (http://www.unitytactical.com/products/exo/) to prevent WL AD's.

ETA: If you'd prefer a fixed rear sight, the DD offering (https://danieldefense.com/components-parts/a1-5-fixed-rear-sight.html) is only 1.5 oz, compared to the Mbus rear (https://www.magpul.com/products/mbus-sight-rear) at 1.3 oz.

johncorey
09-13-2015, 09:09 PM
GJM, here are my two cents.

optic- I run 2MOA H1s. I can usually score them for sub $500, and I don't need the difference in specs to a T2/H2. If you are going to run a magnifier a bunch, the coatings on the T/H2s will surely improve that experience.

stock- I've come to like the MOE SLs. Used to run the CTRs.

trigger- Geissele SD-Cs. I'm a big fan of flat faced triggers now.

sling- padded VCAS. I have BFG sew in the QD swivel on the front, while keeping the rear as just sling to loop through the stock. Helps it stay anchored and not turn into some Twister festival with two rotation points. (I am aware of the internal machining present on most female QD slots which are intended to limit rotation to 1/4 at a time)

rail- Centurion is super solid and has many fans on this forum as well. I'm tall and have a long wingspan, so 12"+ is a must for me.

mount- Bobro seems to be the "new" hotness even though they have been around for a while. I use and like my LaRue's.

buis- LWRC skirmish sites are fairly fast and have some nice subtle features. Doubt you can go wrong with MBUS/Pro

grip- switched all mine to MagPul K2s. The angle is perfect for me.

vert grip- N/A, but when I used to use one it was the RVG from MagPul. Simple, effective and not pricey.

light- I run a SF Fury Scout M600P with a pressure switch in a Gear Sector Scout mount. Heavy-ish, but built like a tank and throws the perfect pattern.

optic cover- IO Cover's by Tango Down are worth the $15. Not sure if they make them yet for the T2, which has its own up armoring, so yeah.

SLG
09-13-2015, 09:09 PM
ALG forend. Car 15 stock for extra weight savings, though i like the CTR quite a bit.

StraitR
09-13-2015, 09:17 PM
ALG forend. Car 15 stock for extra weight savings, though i like the CTR quite a bit.

The LWRC compact is a great, updated alternative to the Car 15 stock.

breakingtime91
09-13-2015, 09:30 PM
BCM gunfighter stock is a good choice also. I would go with the proctor sling with duel QD's.

GJM
09-13-2015, 09:39 PM
OK, let's do the PF deep dive on what tube. Not sure I was looking at the right ALG, but the one I saw on Midway got slammed in the comments section on being a PIA to install. ALG, NSR, BCM, Centurion, or something else?

I like that Unity thing for the X300. I have, and was also considering a Pro TAC 1L in the Proctor mount for its low weight.

Two QD swivels because my wife is left handed, and it makes switching the sling when we share easier.

Anyone played with the new Trijicon yet? Really interested in whether the dot blooms less than an Aimpoint for our eyes.

Is there much to shaving the front sight on the 6720, or is that something most any gunsmith can do?

Why the recommendation for the Magpul metal BUIS over Troy?

Beat Trash
09-13-2015, 09:46 PM
I have a 6720 that is my traveling while on vacation gun.

The setup is as follows:

MagPul SL M-Lok handguard
MagPul K2 grip (I have switched all my guns to this grip - for my hands, it works)
MagPul SL stock (really like this stock)
Aimpoint H-1 2moa with a LaRue mount. If I had to do it over from scratch, I would look at some of the newer mounts MI has an interesting one just released. I might also look at the new Trijicon MRO if starting from scratch in stead of the Aimpoint.
Trigger, I like the SSA, but I can live with the factory trigger if I had to.
Sling, I like the VCAS unpadded version.
MagPul BUIS
I use a MagPul polymer cantilever rail mount on the hand guard. Mount a scout light on this.
VFG, MagPul - Light weight and effective.

The setup is light weight and still effective.

I've thought about shaving the front sight off and putting a longer rail on the gun. But in addition to keeping the weight down, I wanted to keep the overall cost of the gun down. This isn't my Patrol Rifle while at work, my competition gun for 3 gun or a training gun. This is my gun to have in case I'm out of state and caught up in a bad situation that requires more than a pistol.

But if I were to shave off the front sight, I would keep everything the same except for the hand guard and related stuff.

texasaggie2005
09-13-2015, 09:56 PM
I'm a relative AR noob compared to many on here, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

I installed an ALG V1 with basic tools, following their instructions. Super easy, and a great rail so far. I would prefer the V2, but it wasn't out yet when I bought the V1.

I'm fond of the Magpul SL stock, and I use their MBUS Pro iron sights. No problems with them, except the front post is difficult to adjust with sweaty fingers because it's so stiff.

I have a Trijicon MRO on an ADM QD mount inbound this week, and will put some rounds thru it next weekend.

SLG
09-13-2015, 09:58 PM
For me.

13" http://algdefense.com/ergonomic-modular-rail-v1-m-lok.html

Shaving a front sight base down is something even I can do, so any gunsmith who knows how to disassemble an AR and use a dremel should be fine.

SLG
09-13-2015, 10:00 PM
The LWRC compact is a great, updated alternative to the Car 15 stock.

That stock weighs as much as a CTR, about twice what a CAR-15 weighs.

johncorey
09-13-2015, 10:04 PM
OK, let's do the PF deep dive on what tube. Not sure I was looking at the right ALG, but the one I saw on Midway got slammed in the comments section on being a PIA to install. ALG, NSR, BCM, Centurion, or something else?

I like that Unity thing for the X300. I have, and was also considering a Pro TAC 1L in the Proctor mount for its low weight.

Two QD swivels because my wife is left handed, and it makes switching the sling when we share easier.

Anyone played with the new Trijicon yet? Really interested in whether the dot blooms less than an Aimpoint for our eyes.

Is there much to shaving the front sight on the 6720, or is that something most any gunsmith can do?

Why the recommendation for the Magpul metal BUIS over Troy?

I agree that the Unity shroud is a must if you were to run the X300/U on a long gun. My personal favorite rail would be a Geissele Mk1. Which are like hens teeth now. Once you install the nut, all Geissele (and possibly ALG) rails are drop in. Roger on the QDs. Negative on the MRO. That is, and will be for a long time, an unknown quantity VS the Micros. Shaving the FSB is something I would want an experienced smith to do. Which I am sure you know at least one of. Magpul is adjustable via your phalanges. Would need a tool for the Troy.

texasaggie2005
09-13-2015, 10:06 PM
GJM,

If you decide to keep the FSB on one of the rifles, I have a black Magpul SL Carbine Handguard I'll let you try out. It's been listed for sale on other sites for 6 months now with no bites. Might as well let somebody use it.

I also have a Magpul MOE Fixed Carbine stock you can try, if you don't want an adjustable stock. It has a non-reversable QD added on the right side though.

breakingtime91
09-13-2015, 10:09 PM

How much does the Car-15 weigh?

johncorey
09-13-2015, 10:12 PM
How much does the Car-15 weigh?

Like, maybe 5 feathers worth. It's crazy how light it is. I keep mine for the CDI factor. It's a cool throwback piece to the "old school".

StraitR
09-13-2015, 10:17 PM

I meant for those that appreciate the CAR 15 minimalistic design. Admittedly, it was a poor suggestion when the topic was weight.

SLG
09-13-2015, 10:17 PM
5 feathers sounds about right. Mine are 4oz. Old school cool, but still very effective.

SLG
09-13-2015, 10:18 PM
I meant for those that appreciate the CAR 15 minimalistic design. Admittedly, it was a poor suggestion when the topic was weight.

Copy that. It does look interesting, as a contender for the CTR position.

breakingtime91
09-13-2015, 10:21 PM
5 feathers sounds about right. Mine are 4oz. Old school cool, but still very effective.

damn, the gunfighter stock weights 7.5...

StraitR
09-13-2015, 10:31 PM
I agree that the Unity shroud is a must if you were to run the X300/U on a long gun. My personal favorite rail would be a Geissele Mk1. Which are like hens teeth now. Once you install the nut, all Geissele (and possibly ALG) rails are drop in. Roger on the QDs. Negative on the MRO. That is, and will be for a long time, an unknown quantity VS the Micros. Shaving the FSB is something I would want an experienced smith to do. Which I am sure you know at least one of. Magpul is adjustable via your phalanges. Would need a tool for the Troy.

John, can you expound a little bit on the MRO no-go? You're the first person that I've read say that, and with the current lack of info available, I'm curious to hear more. I'm full-up on MRDS's, but I have a buddy that's looking to pull the trigger on one. Thanks.

And I must disagree on the need for a gunsmith to shave an FSB. Many-a-Cleti have emerged successfully from garages after taking dremels to FSB's. Since George can fly and maintain a plane into the AK backcountry, I think he should fair well shaving a FSB.

breakingtime91
09-13-2015, 10:33 PM
John, can you expound a little bit on the MRO no-go? You're the first person that I've read say that, and with the current lack of info available, I'm curious to hear more. I'm full-up on MRDS's, but I have a buddy that's looking to pull the trigger on one. Thanks.

And I must disagree on the need for a gunsmith to shave an FSB. Many-a-Cleti have emerged successfully from garages after taking dremels to FSB's. Since George can fly and maintain a plane into the AK backcountry, I think he should fair well shaving a FSB.

I honestly think its one of the "proven vs unproven" things. which I get, I really do. But it is trijicon, they stand behind their products and test them extensively. I am glad that someone finally produced a product that will make aimpoint start working for it again!

johncorey
09-13-2015, 10:51 PM

The "negative on the MRO" was my experience, specifically lack thereof with it in answering GJM's question if anyone had any experience with them. It's completely unknown, especially when compared to the Micro. Aimpoint is the number 1 in this field, and that status wasn't attained by making subpar products. Trijicon has the same reputation with the ACOG. Their original red dot offering, the SRS was not a hit. It appears the lessons learned and markets polled were applied to the development of the MRO. In light of that, I would be very hesitant to buy one now, or really within the first year or so of its life. Why gamble on it when you can have a Micro with all of its product support? Maybe this picture will change a few years in. Maybe it won't. I have zero time on/behind the MRO. I have 6 years on/behind them on the civvie/mil side. It's a no brainer for me.

I'm fairly sure most humans can operate a dremel. I'm fairly certain GJM can as well. Anything with pinning/shaving a GB I choose to leave with a dude who does that as part of his craft. That's just me.

SLG
09-13-2015, 10:55 PM
The "negative on the MRO" was my experience, specifically lack thereof with it in answering GJM's question if anyone had any experience with them. It's completely unknown, especially when compared to the Micro. Aimpoint is the number 1 in this field, and that status wasn't attained by making subpar products. Trijicon has the same reputation with the ACOG. Their original red dot offering, the SRS was not a hit. It appears the lessons learned and markets polled were applied to the development of the MRO. In light of that, I would be very hesitant to buy one now, or really within the first year or so of its life. Why gamble on it when you can have a Micro with all of its product support? Maybe this picture will change a few years in. Maybe it won't. I have zero time on/behind the MRO. I have 6 years on/behind them on the civvie/mil side. It's a no brainer for me.

I'm fairly sure most humans can operate a dremel. I'm fairly certain GJM can as well. Anything with pinning/shaving a GB I choose to leave with a dude who does that as part of his craft. That's just me.

A refreshing outlook! Only half serious...

As far as the dremel, I said I could do it to show how easy it is. I too leave it to professionals. Because that's what professionals do.:-)

HCM
09-13-2015, 10:56 PM
GJM,

Are you sure you need a rail?

This was my work rifle for several years. Other than eagerly awaiting H-1's to replace our Eo-Techs it did everything I needed. The SF Scout is mounted on the A frame via a GG&G rail section.

http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr324/hcm3156/Mobile%20Uploads/0598bef4-2e60-4a58-b90c-9de15786d8ad.jpg

If QDS are a necessity you can install an IWC QD cup into the existing colt hand guard, or IWC can do it for you for a small fee.

StraitR
09-13-2015, 11:26 PM

Thanks John. That's mostly what I was thinking, and certainly agree with all points. I am glad to see them take another swing after the SRS flop, and even more so that this iteration will drive competitiveness into a market where there has been none. As far as FSB shaving, while I have done many for myself and friends, we all have our own comfort levels and I can respect your choice.

GJM
09-13-2015, 11:51 PM
HCM, I like to pull on slings when shooting -- was thinking a tube would help that, especially with a skinny barrel?

I wouldn't fly anything I maintained. My idea of a field repair is using the sat phone.

LittleLebowski
09-14-2015, 08:21 AM

I love the CAR15 stocks. I keep them around for my wife.

StraitR
09-14-2015, 08:39 AM
HCM, I like to pull on slings when shooting -- was thinking a tube would help that, especially with a skinny barrel?

I wouldn't fly anything I maintained. My idea of a field repair is using the sat phone.

Then have a gunsmith shave your FSB.

HCM
09-14-2015, 08:40 AM

Ok. Slinging up and supported barricade shooting are the two best arguments for. a free float rail. The ALG will get the job done, but since you like nice things and are having a professional the shave and install the Centurion CMR is very nice. NYETI posted a photo of a 6720 with a CMR in another recent thread and it is a nice set up. You could name the builds Lionel 1 and 2 in his honor.

Seriously, the only potential downside I see to the CMR is the proprietary nature of the mounting system for accessories. Centurion and Arisaka Defense make stuff for it. The MLOK on the ALG rail gives you more options although after seeing the muzzle blast from a .308 brake blow an MLOK mounted mini scout off a rifle yesterday I am wondering about MLOK.

breakingtime91
09-14-2015, 08:40 AM
I love the CAR15 stocks. I keep them around for my wife.

Do you have a link?

TGS
09-14-2015, 08:52 AM
Do you have a link?

This is the one I had bought from MAparts:
https://www.mapartsinc.com/shop/details.asp?id=1464&iCat=21

texasaggie2005
09-14-2015, 09:02 AM
after seeing the muzzle blast from a .308 brake blow an MLOK mounted mini scout off a rifle yesterday I am wondering about MLOK.

Then it was not attached correctly. I have a G2X attached to my ALG rail using an Arson Machine ring mount. It would take a vise and a cheater pipe to break it loose.

http://i.imgur.com/AGE9dOt.jpg

HCM
09-14-2015, 09:10 AM
How dependent is MLOK on loc-tite?

The mount in question was an Arisaka. It didn't break. It just came loose.

texasaggie2005
09-14-2015, 09:43 AM
How dependent is MLOK on loc-tite?

No more dependent than any other system in my opinion. I loc-tite everything, be it picatinny, KeyMod or MLOK. A screw is a screw, and subject to vibration. I'm no engineer, but MLOK is simply a squeeze clamp on flat surfaces, with recoil tabs. I guess that if you torqued the screw enough, the tension in the screw would prevent rotation, but I don't trust that.

FWIW, Every single Magpul product I've bought that is MLOK, has come with loc-tite already applied to the screws. I call that a clue. The only non Magpul MLOK products I've bought have been the ALG Co-Witness top rail and the Arson Machine light mount. Neither came with loc-tite preapplied, but I used it anyways.

JSGlock34
09-18-2015, 09:45 PM
KAC URX4 MLOK is supposed to release any day now...

rob_s
09-19-2015, 08:43 AM
Given the brief description in the OP, I'd be inclined to avoid any new hotness, and stick to the proven and tried and true. I wouldn't use any part that hasn't been out for at least two years.

Unless I misread it and the point is to experiment.

Clobbersaurus
09-20-2015, 11:28 AM
I really like DD Aimpoint Micro mounts and DD fixed sights. They are lightweight and durable.

I shaved my FSB a few years ago to install a Troy FF quad rail. It was fairly easy to do, I used a hack-saw and dremel, going slow and checking fit often.

The Troy rail is heavier than modern options but I don't see any need to change it, being a range and class carbine only. I use a Cadex Defence hand stop, installed backwards, as an index point for my support hand. It's small and light.

For lights I've used AA Fenix LD10's and LD12's with really good success. They are lightweight, inexpensive and durable. I've never had a failure with them through several thousand rounds right next to muzzle brakes and flash hiders on a 10.25 inch gun. Lumen's are lower than the new hotness, but they performed well in the last low light course I attended. Batteries are cheap and easy to find.

Malamute
09-20-2015, 01:28 PM
I shaved my FSB a few years ago to install a Troy FF quad rail. It was fairly easy to do, I used a hack-saw and dremel,...

Do you still have the chopped off part of the old front sight? What would you want for it? I have an idea to try for a sight on another rifle.

littlejerry
09-20-2015, 03:14 PM
I just installed a 13" ALG rail. Its very simple and only requires a piece of pipe. Or large crescent wrench.

Clobbersaurus
09-20-2015, 04:08 PM
Do you still have the chopped off part of the old front sight? What would you want for it? I have an idea to try for a sight on another rifle.

Damn, sorry, I tossed it a long time ago. If I had it I would ship it to you no charge.

Malamute
09-20-2015, 05:14 PM
Oh well, thanks.

theJanitor
09-20-2015, 06:38 PM
I'm loving the centurion rail. It's strong and thin and there's no side or bottom rails unless you bolt them on.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h30/grandprixboy/361068DF-6BAD-41D6-8B19-EE0B79757055.jpg

did anyone see this comment on the SLR rail, that all the mounting holes double as QD sockets?

https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/hphotos-xaf1/t51.2885-15/s640x640/sh0.08/e35/11848960_903045119770776_110342576_n.jpg

ASH556
09-21-2015, 10:23 AM
Title says it all. Help me set-up a new pair of 6720 carbines. Use is for my wife and I, general purpose training and defense. Want light as possible without compromising function.

Leaning towards a T2, Magpul CTR, SSA trigger, VTAC sling with two QD swivels, although I am open to suggestions. Questions on which rail, which mount for the T2, what BUIS, which vertical grip, and anything else I haven't thought of.

Given your shooting slung requirement I'd agree with floating the barrels, especially with the LW barrel profile. I'm partial to the BCM KMR lately. I've installed a dozen or more. I work as an Armorer for a shop in ATL and regularly shave FSB's, install rails, etc. Get the FSB's shaved (the Colts have .625" profile barrels @ the gas block vs almost everyone else's LW barrels being .750", so finding a pin-able LPGB would be more difficult. The FSB is already pinned to the barrel, twice). The KMR is light, with rock-solid attachment. The only complaints I've read about it are some folks (possibly mis-using) with KMR attachment issues. For what you're talking about, you don't even need to use any attachments.
Parts list:
BCM KMR handguard (length @ your preference. I use a 15" on my 16" BCM upper, but you could choose 9", 10", 13", or 15")
DD Fixed front and rear sights
Surefire X300U in front of the front DD sight @ 12 o'clock. I've not found any reason for the Unity shroud and had an SO deputy buddy who had issues with his (maybe large thumbs?)
Blue Force Gear VCAS Sling - After 8 years with the VTAC, I switched to the VCAS a few years ago. WAAAY better sling. Higher quality webbing (the VTACS will fray at the buckle pretty quick) more solid adjustment (if the spring in the VTAC buckle fails, your in trouble) and no tail hanging around when you've got the slack taken in. I personally don't care for the padding, but some do. You probably don't need it on a lighter rifle.
Geissele SSA-E trigger. The "E" model is worth the extra coin in my opinion/experience.
CTR stock is a solid choice...'swat I use.
Maybe change the grip to something from the A2 or at least get a "Gapper" to save your knuckle.
Maybe a larger trigger guard (Magpul) for using gloves up there in AK?

Optic: I've compared the MRO to the T1 and T2 side-by-side. Aimpoint is still the answer hands-down. The MRO has about as much blue tint on the lens as the cheap Primary Arms dots. Also, it's not a true 1X in my observation. In other words, there is fisheye/distortion and slight magnification when comparing straight lines at about 3 yds. To me, that seems to indicate that there would be parallax if the dot were viewed at the lens edges. Unacceptable.

Mount: I have owned Larue, ADM, DD, and Scalarworks for the T-1. I still have a Larue because it was already zeroed to the gun when I decided to keep that optic. I had a Scalarworks on another rifle and really liked it. However, I would view it as a non-QD mount. Were your glass to become fogged/iced/broken and you needed to remove the optic to use your irons, the Larue is definitely faster.

Pics for reference:
KMR handguard with Scalarworks Aimpoint mount and Magpul MBUS Pro's:
http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab104/ASH556/IMG_8101_1.jpg

Same setup, but with ADM mount under the T-1:
http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab104/ASH556/60B9B3A8-5614-4EA1-8EFC-6B62E223B064.jpg

GJM
09-21-2015, 10:35 AM
Perfect list -- this is more or less how I am proceeding, although I am planning on a 13 inch rail for no other reason than I like the looks of that length better. Carbines on the way.

GJM
09-21-2015, 10:55 AM
Almost every AR I have has a SSA trigger.

These carbines are training/defense. SSA or SSA-E trigger?

StraitR
09-21-2015, 11:09 AM

Pull weight on the -E is a pound less. 4.5 vs 3.5. Geissele has said the difference is like breaking a carrot vs. breaking a icicle. SSA is marketed to LE, HD, and Hunting, while the SSA-E is marketed to Target and Precision Shooting.

ETA: I have an SSA feel it's perfect for it's intended purposes, which are the same as yours. Personally, I wouldn't want it any lighter. It's so smooth, and the fact that it's on a 8.5 lbs rifle makes it feel lighter than 4.5 as is.

ASH556
09-21-2015, 11:10 AM

If you're used to the SSA, then probably stick with that. Also goes along with your ideas about safety ranking above shootability in your handguns. Same thing here. I have the "E's" and prefer them, but then I also carry a Glock with a minus connector. ;)

GJM
09-21-2015, 11:21 AM
Thanks for the trigger advice, seems like SSA is better for how these carbines are intended.

The BCM rails are backordered -- thoughts on the Centurion or NSR?

Beat Trash
09-21-2015, 11:23 AM
ASH's setup is similar to the gun I use for work as my Patrol Rifle.

For my intended usage of my guns, the SSA works very well. It is at the weight I feel comfortable with and if I need to do some precision work, it's still a good enough of a trigger that I can do what I need to.

You might also take a look at MagPul's new SL stock. This has quickly become my favorite stock.

ASH556
09-21-2015, 11:32 AM
Thanks for the trigger advice, seems like SSA is better for how these carbines are intended.

NSR's are a PITA to install due to wrench scarcity (I paid $65 for my Snap-on 1-1/16" Crow's Foot just to be able to do NSR installs) and they also lack an anti-rotation mechanism unless you drill the upper receiver and install the index pin. Centurion makes good stuff, just heavier/a little older tech (also shows OOS on Centurion's site). Maybe check into the Geissele SMR MKVIII? Not sure how picky you are on rail OD's, but the SMR's are definitely larger than an NSR or KMR.

Default.mp3
09-21-2015, 01:24 PM
The CMR is available on Weapon Outfitters (the store, not their tumblr... though I'm sure you'll see the CMR on the tumblr). For about the same weight, there's also the new Kinetic Development Group's MREX-AR, which is MLOK and has the unusual profile of not being a tube:
https://kineticdg.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/KDG-Spring2015-Studio_44-SMALL.jpg

If you're okay with a heavier weight rail, there's also the Hodge/Mega Arms WedgeLock, also in a more handguard profile rather than tube. SLR Rifleworks gets a lot of hype over on AR15.com, and they certainly do seem to be responsive to customers at the very least; Midwest Industries is in the same boat, but their new Gen3 rails supposedly haev a much better attachment system than the old Gen2s. There's also the KAC URX4, but I'm told rail installation process is rather... involved.

If you're willing to wait, as it's been talked about on this forum, BCM will most likely be coming out with more KMRs in their stocks in the near future, albeit made of aluminum rather than the Mg/Al alloy from before, so weight will go up a bit (guesses are at about ~2 oz.), while cost comes down to between 150 USD to 200 USD. I'm told they will also be manufacturing the old Mg/Al alloy versions as they can, but that supplies will remain limited (due to limited amounts of the raw material to begin with).

StraitR
09-21-2015, 01:48 PM

FYI - It seems that BCM cannot get enough of the proprietary alloy to keep up with demand. Davisj emailed them about stock and received the following response...

We are grateful for the overwhelming demand for the BCM® KMR and regret that we have not been able to keep up with this demand. The unique and proprietary alloy, with which we own 100% of domestic distribution, is in very short supply and has been the sole reason for sporadic inventory. Recent advancements from the BCM® Product Development Team have enabled the imminent release of several new BCMGUNFIGHTER™ offerings, including additional alloy options for the highly coveted BCM® KMR. This will enable us to raise KMR inventory levels quite a bit over the next 4 months. We are anticipating this inventory situation will be resolved by the end of this year.

It is our intent to close out 2015 with several exciting new products we are confident will exude the same quality BCM® customers have come to rely on, offered at more competitive prices. Thank you for your continued support and loyalty through often chaotic times. Please stay tuned to our Newsletter and social media pages for upcoming product announcements.

info@bravocompanyusa.com
Bravo Company USA
www.BravoCompanyUSA.com
www.BravoCompanyMFG.com

Taken from.... https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?14049-KeyMod-vs-M-LOK&p=349214&viewfull=1#post349214

So if you cannot find another rail that interests you, BCM seems to have an answer to their supply chain problems and waiting for their new offerings could be an option.

ReverendMeat
09-22-2015, 12:46 AM

I don't know how comfortable you are with wrenching, but a handguard that utilizes the stock barrel nut will make your life a bit easier in that area. I'd be looking at a Samson evo or Fortis REV

johnson
09-22-2015, 06:00 PM
Not sure why you would get the 6720 only to change out most of the stuff on it (unless it was real cheap)? Especially with a carbine gas system on a 16" instead of mid-length.

The SSA is nice but the ALG ACT is pretty good too for a mil-spec trigger. You said all your other AR's have the SSA. For training/defense distances, did the triggers perform better than a standard single stage?

The KMR and CMR are both dimensionally similar, measuring at 2" top to bottom and 1.5" side to side (1.75" on the front and rear of CMR for sling QD cups). The weights listed on manufacturer's page has the 14" CMR at 11.8 oz and 15" KMR at 8.1 oz. When adding sling mounts on the KMR they should be about even.

I like Centurion products and the CMR feels very robust. The walls are thicker than the KMR and there's no need to time the barrel nut like other handguard systems. The downside is that they don't come with an install wrench so I slightly modified a Daniel Defense LITE/RIS II wrench and it's worked fine for two CMR installs. There's also the issue of having to use proprietary accessories. If you have other Keymod or M-LOK handguards already or like specific mounts/grips then it wouldn't be my first choice. That said, it's my favorite handguard so far because of the slimness and ease of installation.

The top rifle is a BCM ELW 16" with 15" KMR. To give a base line weight, complete rifle is 6 lb 3 oz and the upper alone with MBUS sights is 3 lb 12.1 oz. It does have a VLTOR A5 7 position extension with A5 buffer system so your Colt may be a couple ounces less but I'm not sure if the EWL profile is lighter than pencil profile.

http://i.imgur.com/LoYmogy.jpg

Sigfan26
09-22-2015, 06:22 PM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/22/701af1edf1b8b7044f65160c38ad7e13.jpg
Not super HighSpeed/LowDrag, but I like the way I have mine set up. Super basic.
MOE Handguard
MOE K grip
Mission First Minimalist Stock
MOE scout light adapter
Inforce WMLX
Aimpoint T1 in a DD mount
MS3 sling
Everything I need, nothing I don't. Might upgrade the trigger at some point, might not.

GJM
10-16-2015, 01:31 PM
Big news of the day is that BCM has KKM "Alpha" rails in stock.

Package from BCM headed to JoJo's in CT with 2 13 inch and 2 15 inch BCM Alpha rails, and 4 SSA triggers for the carbines to be completed.

GJM
10-17-2015, 07:08 AM
Last things to order -- BUIS and butt stocks.

Magpul metal BUIS or something else?

CTR, SL or something else for the rear stock?

To answer the question, the 6720 because I wanted Colt, and a carbine length gas system. SSA triggers because my wife and I prefer them over stock for shooting beyond traditional "training/defense" distances.

GJM
10-17-2015, 07:15 AM
Forgot grips. I have used the MOE+ and like their feel. Suggestions?

breakingtime91
10-17-2015, 07:36 AM

I enjoy the bcm gunfighter grips

breakingtime91
10-17-2015, 07:37 AM

Magpul metal BUIS or something else?

CTR, SL or something else for the rear stock?

To answer the question, the 6720 because I wanted Colt, and a carbine length gas system. SSA triggers because my wife and I prefer them over stock for shooting beyond traditional "training/defense" distances.

Bcm gun fighter stock is slim and light weight. It also locks up tight

LittleLebowski
10-17-2015, 07:53 AM

I like the MOE + but the BCM Gunfighters have a much better waterproof storage compartment that you can actually access sans tools and cursing. I have no idea what Magpul was thinking with their grip storage compartment design.

LittleLebowski
10-17-2015, 08:08 AM
Forum-Amazon-revenue friendly links :)

Magpul metal BUIS or something else? MBUS Pro (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CLGLRD0/)

CTR, SL or something else for the rear stock? Bravo Company Gunfighter (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01253R2S2)

rob_s
10-17-2015, 10:01 AM
My favorite sights are the BCM version of the diamond head sights. Can be stowed with either aperture deployed, and lock in the up position. I use the wing front,minor the round one as the round gives a false center.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-Folding-Sight-REAR-DH-p/bcm-rear-sight-1301-dh.htm

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-Folding-Sight-Front-DH-p/bcm-front-sight-m4-1361dh.htm

Now, that's because I think iron sights should be sights. If they are literally just an emergency backup, I'd probably go with something cheaper.

Beat Trash
10-17-2015, 12:35 PM

Magpul metal BUIS or something else? I like the slim design of the MagPul PRO, and have them on a pair of BCM uppers. But my Colt's all have MagPul MBUS, and to be honest, I actually like the sight a bit better for actually usage. It's also light and cheaper.

CTR, SL or something else for the rear stock? I have switched all of my guns with RDS over to the MagPul MOE SL stock. Works great, and balances out the guns well.

I am in the process of switching out all of my guns to the SSA trigger. Not only is it a great trigger, but there is a high level of consistency between triggers.

My grip choice for a gun like what you are setting up is the MagPul K2. I tried the BCM gunfighter grip. It's good, but I prefer the feel of the K2 slightly better.