PDA

View Full Version : SilencerCo Omega or Gemtech One?

ffhounddog
09-13-2015, 09:37 AM
I am looking at get one of these and now I am looking at additional costs. If I get the Gemtech One it is roughly the same price and the Silencerco Omega and the 5.56 Endcap. I have a Gemtech G5 now and many good flash hiders and Brakes that work with it from that are made for the Gemtech but are made my major manufacturers like PWS, YHM To replace the hiders on all of them it would cost me more gold pieces.

Omega has the first baffle Satellite and the rest is a mix of Steel and Titanium and the reduction in hearing at the ear is nice. It is also 14 oz's with the brake at the end. The 5.56 endcap might make it a little lighter and shorter than the spec sheet of the Omega.
Silencer Omega:
Caliber:
5.7mm to .300 WM
Muzzle Average dB:
119.5 (.300 BLK)
130.1 (5.56 NATO)
133.9 (.308 WIN)
Weight:
14.0 oz
Length:
7.09”
Diameter:
1.56”
Full Auto Rated
Materials:
Titanium, Stellite &
Stainless Steel

The Gemtech "One" is rated for the same and made out of Titanium and Steel with a mono-core design. I Their flash hiders are on most of my AR's. It is rated down to 7.5 inches AR's vs 10 inch AR's. If it is like the Gemtech G5 then when you install it the 7.5 inches would make it roughly 6 inches of added length. The Gemtech G5 is 7 inches and when install it adds 5.5 inches to the overall length. The "One" is 16.3 oz's. So it is heavier of the two options by 2oz's.

Gemtech "One"
Caliber Rated: 300WM, 300BLK, 7.62 NATO, 5.56 NATO
Features:
Sound Reduction: 32 dB
Length: 7.5"
Diameter: 1.625" with shroud
Weight: 16.3oz
Material: Titanium and Inconel
Finish: High-Temp Black Cerakote
Mount: Interchangeable Quick Mount & thread mount
For Barrels:
5.56 rated for 7.5" or longer*
7.62x51 rated for 12" or longer*
300BLK rated for 7.5" or longer
300WM rated for 24" or longer

From Kyle Defoor blog: 300 BO updates-
"My 9" from BCM when zeroed at 100 has a 5-6" drop at 200. With “The One” can from Gemtech my hold at 200 goes away and there is no significant shift at 100…..the War Gods way of saying “shoot .30 cal suppressed and with a short barrel at middle distances my son”!"

Now the devil in the Details. I have a Gemtech HVT-QD. It is a heavy suppressor at 24oz. Of course I have a Gemtech G5 I got in 2010. I have on order a SiliencerCo SpecWarK and a SilencerCo WarlockII. Partly the reason was so my Wife could have her own can if she wanted to use it.
Also the SpecWarK is rated down to 7 inch barrels and I like the PWS rifle that I have. Also it is light weight 13.7oz.

Decision is I will always have my G5 and it has worked very and have two rifles with perm attached Bilock mounts on them.

I am looking at the SilencerCo OctaneK and the Gemtech GM-9 9mm right now. On the Rifle side of course the Omega and the "One".

So what are the opinions?

HCM
09-13-2015, 10:18 AM
I currently have a silencer co-Omega in NFA jail, with a SPECWAR K 556 next on my list.

Two things which may help your decision on the financial side. The first is I believe you qualify for silencer co's SPEQ program which will help on the price of the Omega. My Omega was $751. It came with both a direct thread Rear cap, an ASR rear cap and one ASR muzzle device.The second is silencer co-runs good sales on their muzzle devices. In the past year they have had Black Friday and Father's Day sales with their muzzle devices either buy one get one free or 50% off.

StraitR
09-13-2015, 06:47 PM
My one and only SiCo gripe is how they qualify individuals for their SPEQ program, in that a rent-a-cop on the job for a week can get a discount, but being a six year veteran gets me zilch. Not the end of the world, but kind of chaps my kitten a bit. Anyway, I have an Omega in NFA jail myself, and paid $880 from SS.

ffhounddog
09-14-2015, 06:31 AM
I understand Craig.

Yeah if I do not get a endcap. Then the price difference is in the Omegas favor more.

I just hate all the drama with the Suppressor industry and what to do with all the muzzle devices.

I have been told a few times I can run my G5 on a 7.5 gun in Semi but Kel is not at Gemtech anymore so it is what it is.

I was told by 2 guys with ASR Flash hider mounts make a decent flat shooting brake as well. I just like the pws triad and have one in a package right now for a gemtech.

HCM
09-14-2015, 08:26 AM
I understand Craig.

Yeah if I do not get a endcap. Then the price difference is in the Omegas favor more.

I just hate all the drama with the Suppressor industry and what to do with all the muzzle devices.

I have been told a few times I can run my G5 on a 7.5 gun in Semi but Kel is not at Gemtech anymore so it is what it is.

I was told by 2 guys with ASR Flash hider mounts make a decent flat shooting brake as well. I just like the pws triad and have one in a package right now for a gemtech.

The ASR brake is Flat shooting but the blast is SUBTANTIAL on a .308. Yesterday we were out shooting Skyline1's Omega on his .308 build. He fired the last few shots unsuppressed and the blast literally blew his MLOK mounted light off the gun.

LittleLebowski
09-14-2015, 08:30 AM
The ASR brake is Flat shooting but the blast is SUBTANTIAL on a .308. Yesterday we were out shooting Skyline1's Omega on his .308 build. He fired the last few shots unsuppressed and the blast literally blew his MLOK mounted light off the gun.

Lesson is never shoot unsuppressed, duh :D

StraitR
09-14-2015, 12:12 PM
^^^ Yahtzee

I would like to hear more about the MLOK failure.

JM Campbell
09-14-2015, 12:27 PM
^^^ Yahtzee

I would like to hear more about the MLOK failure.
Updated Omega thread.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

StraitR
09-14-2015, 03:06 PM
Updated Omega thread.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Appreciate it SL.

LittleLebowski
09-15-2015, 06:55 AM
I could not be talked into a Gemtech over a SilencerCo unless it was a huge cost savings.

ffhounddog
09-15-2015, 07:48 AM
I bought my Gemtech G5 in 2010/11 based off of advice from the owner of Blue Force Gear.

I am full of making wrong decisions based off of emotions.

StraitR
09-15-2015, 07:40 PM
I bought my Gemtech G5 in 2010/11 based off of advice from the owner of Blue Force Gear.

Blue Force Brittney is not the owner.

johncorey
09-15-2015, 08:19 PM
Blue Force Brittney is not the owner.

HAHAH! I do believe she is no longer with BFG....

ffhounddog
09-15-2015, 08:53 PM
Ashley is CEO but for some odd reason I thought Stephen was part owner.

ffhounddog
09-17-2015, 08:01 PM
So with this new suppressor coming out from SiCo would a SpecWar K 5.56 ($515) be better than an Omega ($800) I have a gemtech HVT that I picked up for $500 for my Rem700 but other than a future 300blk or 6.8 the can will spend time on a 5.56.

StraitR
09-17-2015, 10:04 PM
"Better" for your purposes, is completely subjective. Would you prefer to spend $715 (SpecWar K + stamp) on a dedicated 5.56 can or $1000 (Omega + stamp) on a modular .30cal can?

Two totally different cans, but size is about the same (with 5.56 end cap for the Omega - $80), but the SpecWar K will weigh a little less once you add the ASR mount to the Omega. Performance seems to be similar, based on the tests I've seen/read, again, if you spend another $80 on the Omega 5.56 end cap.

I have no personal experience with either, at this point, but I went with the Omega (In NFA jail).

ffhounddog
09-18-2015, 05:04 AM
Craig, stop using Math on me. Not helping. Hides behind Physics degree.

Thats what stopped me from buying two Specwar Ks. I needed the specwar K for my subgun (7.75 inch PWS) but then I can run an Omega on one rifle and a 300blk or 6.8.

I did place a surefire ryder on order for pistol can duty.

Wife is prego with twins so looking at quality kit. I just at the time thought I was going with the Gemtech one so got a hvt-gd from local gun store for $500. Also I a few of my "special friends" run the HVT on 700s cut to 18ish inches and M240s and M60s and prefer the stainless tube of the HVT over some lighter weight stuff but mission drives the gear train.

StraitR
09-18-2015, 02:41 PM
Craig, stop using Math on me. Not helping. Hides behind Physics degree.

Thats what stopped me from buying two Specwar Ks. I needed the specwar K for my subgun (7.75 inch PWS) but then I can run an Omega on one rifle and a 300blk or 6.8.

I did place a surefire ryder on order for pistol can duty.

Wife is prego with twins so looking at quality kit. I just at the time thought I was going with the Gemtech one so got a hvt-gd from local gun store for $500. Also I a few of my "special friends" run the HVT on 700s cut to 18ish inches and M240s and M60s and prefer the stainless tube of the HVT over some lighter weight stuff but mission drives the gear train.

It's such a commitment compared to the typical purchase that the decision becomes extraneously complicated.

Congrats to you and your wife, twins, that's awesome. We also have one on the way, our second, due in April.

Kyle Reese
11-06-2015, 09:31 PM

I bought my G5-22 in 2013 and was wholly underwhelmed with its performance in almost every way. Really regret that purchase.

LittleLebowski
11-07-2015, 09:32 AM
I did a lot of research before buying my suppressors and Gemtech certainly had a hit and miss track record according to my research.

Fred, you might contact Liberty (https://libertycans.net/services/22lr-retrofit/) or LRM-Tech (http://www.lrm-tech.com) for a suppressor recoring.

Kyle Reese
11-07-2015, 11:03 AM
I did a lot of research before buying my suppressors and Gemtech certainly had a hit and miss track record according to my research.

Fred, you might contact Liberty (https://libertycans.net/services/22lr-retrofit/) or LRM-Tech (http://www.lrm-tech.com) for a suppressor recoring.

Thanks, Bax. I had no idea that this was even a thing. :)

ffhounddog
11-09-2015, 07:02 AM
If anyone wants to know not like anyone cares but me and the suppressor dealer (Hanshon Bros) I went another way, ordered the Dead Air Sandman-S. Now the wait on flash hiders.....

LittleLebowski
11-09-2015, 07:08 AM
Thanks, Bax. I had no idea that this was even a thing. :)

Keep me updated and let me know if you need help with this. Should be doable.