PDA

View Full Version : Sight Picture "3" for Steel Challenge?

rdtompki
09-12-2015, 10:13 PM
I use an SA 9mm 1911 for steel challenge with rear target sight and front FO sight. Sight picture is sometimes referred to as #2 with POI at the top edge of the front blade. I recently bought an H&K P2000 for HD/CC with 3-dot sights set up the sight picture #3 (POI behind front sight dot). Our practice range has us shooting from the shade into a bright background and there is little question that the H&K sights are faster to align than my 1911 sights - the top edge of the rear target sight is not that distinct in the shade.

Now most matches are shot in the open so rear sight visibility isn't quite the same issue, but I'm serious thinking of a Dawson FO rear target sight assuming I'll have enough adjustment to get the POI under the front fiber. I know some folks shoot action pistol with sight picture #3. Any feedback out there on applying this to steel challenge and particularly regards using fiber optics versus the much larger white dots?

I suppose I could go all the way to fixed white dot sights, but that's a bigger step and would probably require at least one iteration of front sight height.

HopetonBrown
09-12-2015, 11:29 PM
When you say that there is "little question" that you're faster with 3 dot sights; have you tested with a timer?

3 dot sights being quicker than a black rear and fiber front does run contrary to what most others experience. Ken Hackathorn told us to think of the rear sight as an aperture to view the front sight

rdtompki
09-13-2015, 07:26 AM
When you say that there is "little question" that you're faster with 3 dot sights; have you tested with a timer?

3 dot sights being quicker than a black rear and fiber front does run contrary to what most others experience. Ken Hackathorn told us to think of the rear sight as an aperture to view the front sight
I don't think it would be faster under typical conditions, but with our shooting box in the shade the top edge of the 1911 rear target sight is simply not distinct.

Back to your point - I'll try the timer doing a one target transition with starting point sights aligned on target 1, transition to and engage target 2. At our range I can set up an 8" plate at 15 yards, probably as hard as anything in an SC stage. This scenario plus staging the LEM trigger so I'm on the second spring should level the playing field, possibly answering the question, "Is sight picture 3 accurate enough at speed".; I'll post back my results with appropriate age disclaimer.

I can see the value of the H&K sight picture under varying lighting conditions in tactical applications.

PPGMD
09-13-2015, 07:26 PM
I would favor sight picture 2 (which IMO is the proper sight picture), the second and third plate on pendulum are very small. And a sight picture 3 would make it hard to see the plates, particularly if you aren't running a 0.100" W front sight (which I found increased my speed on pendulum by making it easier to see and hit).

rdtompki
09-14-2015, 06:23 AM
I would favor sight picture 2 (which IMO is the proper sight picture), the second and third plate on pendulum are very small. And a sight picture 3 would make it hard to see the plates, particularly if you aren't running a 0.100" W front sight (which I found increased my speed on pendulum by making it easier to see and hit).
I have an identical backup 1911. I might see if I have enough travel in the rear sight to adjust to sight picture 3 and give it a try. I do think #2 is better (and I have a .100" blade on my 1911 front sight), but in an ideal world I'd like the same picture on all my handguns.

If nothing else I do see the value of three dots and #3 sight picture in low light conditions. Always good to experience something different. Low the H&K LEM trigger BTW.

CCT125US
09-14-2015, 09:26 AM

I bought into this for some time. I need to make a journal entry regarding this. However, I am finding I can use more of a soft focus / awareness of my three dots. It's all about finding what works you, sometimes experts are wrong.