PDA

View Full Version : New Glock Gen 4 ejector

HCL3
09-15-2011, 11:43 AM
I took my G19 4th gen back to Glock yesterday afternoon because of the stovepiping issues that everyone seems to have with these guns. My gun already had the newest recoil spring assembly but still had these problems. When I picked it up this morning I was told that they had installed a new ejector assembly and that my gun was the first in the US to get it. Hopefully this is the fix we've been waiting for on the Gen 4 guns. The part is numbered "30274". I'll post some pics when I get home.

JV_
09-15-2011, 11:54 AM
If you can, take some pics next to the standard ejector, a 336 for a 9mm (IIRC).

I've been trying to suppress my urge to get a Gen4 17. New parts announcements certainly help!

orionz06
09-15-2011, 11:57 AM
News of possibly the correct part helps more.

JV_
09-15-2011, 12:06 PM
News of possibly the correct part helps more.Not for me, there are too many new parts for Gen4 guns to make me think this is the last one...

Slide lock springs
Recoil springs
What looks like a a new extractor
And now the ejector

orionz06
09-15-2011, 12:08 PM
Not for me, there are too many new parts for Gen4 guns to make me think this is the last one...

Slide lock springs
Recoil springs
And now the ejector

Oh, I mixed up extractor and ejector.

Prdator
09-15-2011, 01:51 PM
I was talking to a Regional Glock rep about this, he said there was about 10 of them in the US so far. It sound's like this may really be a help to the Gen 4 9's

Jay Cunningham
09-15-2011, 02:12 PM
I'm really looking forward to picking up one of these guns in another year.

Kyle Reese
09-15-2011, 02:17 PM
I'm going to buy two gen 4 17's and 19's in 2012 or 13....

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

LittleLebowski
09-15-2011, 02:36 PM
Not for me, there are too many new parts for Gen4 guns to make me think this is the last one...

Slide lock springs
Recoil springs
And now the ejector

How are we supposed to get all of these new parts in our Gen4s? Seriously Glock, WTF?

HCL3
09-15-2011, 03:36 PM
Pic from above of the new ejector:

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6076/6150627149_4d2425c58e_b.jpg

Profile view:

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6204/6150625187_a301599fa3_b.jpg

Compared to a "336" ejector installed in a 1st Gen G17:

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6200/6151174470_5214255dde_b.jpg

KL4545
09-15-2011, 03:44 PM
Thank you for the pics. For the life of me, I have no idea how I'm going to upgrade my Gen4's with so many revisions to "Part XXXXX". By next week, there will be another version.

joshs
09-15-2011, 03:53 PM
For the life of me, I have no idea how I'm going to upgrade my Gen4's with so many revisions to "Part XXXXX". By next week, there will be another version.

GLOCK, making perfection perfecter one step at a time.

mizer67
09-15-2011, 08:01 PM
Finally.

Now I just need to get one.

Can it be retrofitted into the existing trigger housing mechanism? I've always bought a complete assembly when I needed a spare and never had to remove one before.

ToddG
09-16-2011, 12:05 PM
I've got one on the way thanks to the Parts Fairy. It's going in my backup gun -- which is showing erratic ejection -- to see if that simple swap is enough to make the world a happy place again.

CK1
09-16-2011, 05:59 PM
Pic from above of the new ejector:

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6076/6150627149_4d2425c58e_b.jpg

Profile view:

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6204/6150625187_a301599fa3_b.jpg

Compared to a "336" ejector installed in a 1st Gen G17:

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6200/6151174470_5214255dde_b.jpg

Wow.

I predict that like 20 new threads will pop up on GT about this...

All I can say is after 3 tries at getting a Gen4 that works correctly to no avail, thank goodness Gen3's fit my hands.

So when does the Gen5 come out?

Mjolnir
09-17-2011, 11:38 AM
Well, my Gen IVs are "sensitive" in a way no other polymer pistols I own (or my 1911s for that matter) are. Thumb pressure (I love 1911s), weasel rounds, erratic ejection patterns.

They don't fail to eject/feed - unless I'm riding the slide with my strong hand thumb (pinching it, if you will). The Grip Force Adapter has cured that and I like the way it points.

BUT... if this doesn't cure the countless threads about making them run I feel HK will have a run on P30 LEMs. And Heinie needs to expand his capacity for sights for them, too.

Pox on you, Glock! :(

HCL3
09-19-2011, 12:41 PM
I was finally able to make it out to the range on Sunday to try out the G19 with the new ejector. I shot about 500 rounds of various ammo - Winchester 115gr, PMC 115gr, Russian 124gr, Ranger-T 147gr, Golden Saber 147gr - I had zero issues. Extraction/ejection seems to be more robust as well - the empty cases are really flung out of the ejection port.

JV_
09-19-2011, 01:16 PM
Would you mind checking to see if you have the "dip" extractor?

LittleLebowski
09-19-2011, 02:53 PM
I called. My new RSA is on the way. 2-4 weeks. I would have tried to ask for a new ejector but the lady on the other end was clearly only there for the RSA replacement program.

I'm pretty pissed off about this whole thing. Must be the brass hitting my shooting glasses.

mizer67
09-19-2011, 06:48 PM
Is the ejector itself user replaceable?

Or do you need a whole new trigger housing block as well?

JV_
09-19-2011, 06:53 PM

Or do you need a whole new trigger housing block as well?

AFAIK, they don't currently sell just the ejector. The trigger housing and ejector isn't that expensive, it's like $7.

Long tom coffin
09-19-2011, 08:35 PM
I suppose it's too early hope these new trigger housings are available on the market or that they are available in your generic shop's armorers bag.

JV_
09-19-2011, 08:41 PM
I suppose it's too early hope these new trigger housings are available on the market or that they are available in your generic shop's armorers bag.

New guns, which have a fire casing less than 30 days old, still don't have the new ejector ..... yea, it's too early.

ToddG
09-19-2011, 11:10 PM

Yes.

Wayne Dobbs
09-20-2011, 09:54 AM
As Todd indicated, the ejector part itself is replacable without replacing the trigger mechanism housing. The part is simply pressed into the housing from the front and can be pushed out with a narrow bladed screwdriver and the new part pressed in. In case somebody is thinking of replacing an entire Gen 3 assembly with a Gen 4 assembly, be aware that those parts are dimensionally different now.

Long tom coffin
09-22-2011, 12:33 PM
I spoke with Dave @ Glockparts.com. He said that he is fully aware of the new parts and has them on order. He last spoke to Glock about them a week ago and is expecting them in soon, but cannot give a specific date as to when they will be there. He said that as soon as he gets them he will have them for sale on his site, so just keep checking.

LittleLebowski
09-22-2011, 12:38 PM
I spoke with Dave @ Glockparts.com. He said that he is fully aware of the new parts and has them on order. He last spoke to Glock about them a week ago and is expecting them in soon, but cannot give a specific date as to when they will be there. He said that as soon as he gets them he will have them for sale on his site, so just keep checking.

Excellent scoop, thanks for posting. Does he have an email notification system?

Long tom coffin
09-22-2011, 02:05 PM
No problemo.

He does have an email service. I have purchased several times from his site previously so I have created a user account, and signing up for a user account automatically places you on their email list. The list sends out emails every time a new part is in stock, as well.

It's a pretty good list. He sells OEM, aftermarket, and LWD stuff, and he also has stuff that isn't available elsewhere (such as the dot connector for Gen 4's, which are available for like a day then go on backorder for a month.). His emails also come with coupon codes for discounts and such.

JV_
09-22-2011, 02:12 PM
I wonder if this will be recommended for Gen1/2/3 guns.

LittleLebowski
09-22-2011, 02:14 PM
Long Tom, thanks again. Signing up for his email service. I'm getting ready to call Glock about brass being tossed in my face and I know it's going to be one of two things:

-send it back to get a new ejector installed (takes weeks)

-the new RSA will fix everything just like the last new one did

Long tom coffin
09-22-2011, 06:04 PM
Long Tom, thanks again. Signing up for his email service. I'm getting ready to call Glock about brass being tossed in my face and I know it's going to be one of two things:

-send it back to get a new ejector installed (takes weeks)

-the new RSA will fix everything just like the last new one did

You are very welcome. Have you tried the white sound HRED and an aftermarket ejector? I've seen those produce some good results. I think it's patently ridiculous that those would be necessary to make a Glock work right, but I've exhausted myself on harping on the new gun industry paradigm to comment on it further.

I have a buddy who ordered a new RSA for his Gen 4 G 19 a month and a half ago, or maybe longer; it was just prior to Glock rolling out its latest non-recall "recall". He still hasn't received it yet.

I'm glad my Gen 4's and late Model Gen 3's are running like champs; I really wouldn't want to have to have extended dealings with Glocks CS right now.

l8apex
09-22-2011, 09:37 PM
What is the specific part number for the ejector? Is that out at this time?

xcibes
09-22-2011, 09:47 PM
What is the specific part number for the ejector? Is that out at this time?

If you look at the picture in the thread, the new ejector is marked 30274, the old one was marked 336. I do not know if there is another number for it. Is that the number you were looking for?

LittleLebowski
09-26-2011, 10:26 AM
You are very welcome. Have you tried the white sound HRED and an aftermarket ejector? I've seen those produce some good results. I think it's patently ridiculous that those would be necessary to make a Glock work right, but I've exhausted myself on harping on the new gun industry paradigm to comment on it further.

Yup, on the HRED. I believe that fixed my malfunctions but I am not digging the brass to the face still.

GearScout
09-27-2011, 05:22 PM
Here are the two ejectors, original Gen4 and the 9/2011 update. Mine does not have a part number on it.
The word is that this part addresses the erratic ejection issue by catching more of the shell casing. Changes to the Gen4 frame introduced a small amount of flex that caused the original Gen4 ejector to sometimes miss the "sweet spot" on the shell casing as the action recoiled. Increasing the size of the ejector face should increase the likelihood of an effective strike on the shell case.

The new RSA was reinforced to address an issue found in a few Law Enforcement agency Gen4 pistols where the head of the recoil spring assembly broke due to a change in the manufacturing process. If you look closely, you'll see the only change is the beefed up head plug and a new capture ring that surrounds the end of the spring.

JHC
09-27-2011, 05:30 PM
Gear Scout, what are we to suppose is the explanation for Gen 4 9mm's that run like Glocks of legend? It seems they have to overcome the wrong RSA (in original format as ours are), sketchy extractors and a radically suboptimal ejector apparently.

Can you hazard a guess?

GearScout
09-27-2011, 06:02 PM
JHC- This is a guess, but I'd say all the Gen4 problems come down to flex in the Gen4 frame. When Glock changed the grip and trigger housing, it seems they may have misjudged the amount of material needed to maintain the dimensional stability of those parts under recoil.

But, what causes some Gen4s to run while others have ejection problems? [Total Conjecture Alert] Could be that some batches of the frame polymer are a hair stiffer or even softer. Earlier models may have looser tolerances because there isn't so much stuff jammed into the new grip on the Gen4. It might just be a simple case of tolerance stacking in the part dimensions as well as the polymer formula.

I am curious if there is a different reliability experience in right- vs. left-handed shooters. Since there is subtle difference in the way the frame flexes depending on which hand you're shooting from, there may be a correlation between problem pistols and shooter handedness.

l8apex
09-27-2011, 06:07 PM
If you look at the picture in the thread, the new ejector is marked 30274, the old one was marked 336. I do not know if there is another number for it. Is that the number you were looking for?

Yes, thank you. Would be awesome to source it. Can't find one yet.

Long tom coffin
09-27-2011, 08:37 PM
JHC- This is a guess, but I'd say all the Gen4 problems come down to flex in the Gen4 frame. When Glock changed the grip and trigger housing, it seems they may have misjudged the amount of material needed to maintain the dimensional stability of those parts under recoil.

But, what causes some Gen4s to run while others have ejection problems? [Total Conjecture Alert] Could be that some batches of the frame polymer are a hair stiffer or even softer. Earlier models may have looser tolerances because there isn't so much stuff jammed into the new grip on the Gen4. It might just be a simple case of tolerance stacking in the part dimensions as well as the polymer formula.

I am curious if there is a different reliability experience in right- vs. left-handed shooters. Since there is subtle difference in the way the frame flexes depending on which hand you're shooting from, there may be a correlation between problem pistols and shooter handedness.

Oy, that doesn't fill me with a particularly high degree of confidence. Couldn't we take your argument to its logical conclusion then and state that it's possible the design of the gen 4's is fundamentally flawed?

I'm not going to go so far as to argue that the Gen 4 issues are frame flex induced. I've seen lots of gen 4's (including my own) run like glockwork. I think this is a parts problem, with some recent QC fail and internal shufflings on Glock's part being the likely culprit.

GearScout
09-28-2011, 12:49 AM
I want to think it's QC on some part like the extractor, too.

But, I was recently watching some super slow-mo video of steel carbine barrels firing. I was struck by how much they jiggled and it made me wonder just how much the polymer parts on our pistols flex during operation.

I suppose it may not be the frame, but it could be the trigger housing housing that's flexing under torsional forces during recoil. This could move the ejector slightly off-axis for an instant and explain the seemingly random ejection pattern as the gun flexes a little differently depending on the recoil impulse from each cartridge's powder load and temperature of the gun.

Yeah, I know it's a bit out there. But I really like the sunsets on my private island.

JHC
09-28-2011, 05:51 PM
I appreciate the speculative answers. Thanks!

GearScout
09-30-2011, 05:45 PM
I've just returned from the range after putting about 100 rounds through the Gen4 19 using the new ejector. While it wasn't a lot of rounds, not a single one came close to hitting my face. Ejection was not particularly strong, mind you. But, it was all between 3:30 and 5'oclock. In contrast, my last range session (using the original ejector) saw brass going over my shoulder or hitting me in the forehead at least 4 of every 10 rounds. I shot about 2 mags with the old RSA and 5 with the new 0-3-4. The recoil assembly made no difference in ejection.

I'm very happy that the gun isn't spitting brass at my head, but I wish it ejected with a little more authority. I should have a few hundred more rounds through it over the weekend. I'm hoping this ejector is the final revision to the 9mm Gen4s!

Here's a side by side of the two Glock 19 Gen4 ejectors:

LittleLebowski
10-01-2011, 07:31 AM
The White Sound HRED will help with more forceful ejection.

fuse
10-01-2011, 08:17 AM

I am a huge believer in this product.

Mjolnir
10-02-2011, 06:19 PM
At your recommendation I'll try a few.

I REALLY want this pistol to work. I like the way it feels in my hand (esp. with the Grip Force Adaptor) and I love the sights (Trijicon HD). If not I'm poised to go HK.

GearScout
10-02-2011, 11:24 PM
I shot the Fredericksburg match today with the new ejector. Shot about 200 rounds. 1x brass bounced of the brim of my ball cap.

I'll call it a 90% improvement over the original ejector operation. I hope Glock isn't satisfied 'till they track down that final 10%.

NickDrak
10-02-2011, 11:43 PM
I shot the Fredericksburg match today with the new ejector. Shot about 200 rounds. 1x brass bounced of the brim of my ball cap.

I'll call it a 90% improvement over the original ejector operation. I hope Glock isn't satisfied 'till they track down that final 10%.

GearScout,

Which extractor are you running in your Gen4?

GearScout
10-02-2011, 11:52 PM
GearScout,

Which extractor are you running in your Gen4?

The stock Gen4 extractor. It's stamped "4". Photos here (http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?571-Gen4-19-The-problems-have-started-....&p=9389&viewfull=1#post9389).

Long tom coffin
10-03-2011, 12:02 AM

If the newly designed ejector is supposed to fix repeat problem ejections, I wouldn't be happy with anything less than 100% capability. Was 200 rounds with range ammo or higher grade carry? I'm guessing range but I just want to ask to make sure. I've had a few erratic ejections with my Gen 4's, with various types of weaker range ammos, but never anything but flawless ejection with my carry ammo.

This fiasco is turning into a real freaking headache. While I'm glad my Gen4's are working quite well and have apparently dodged the serious issues, reading up on this stuff constantly is quite worrisome. I think the worst part is there no apparent catch all solution to the myriad problems that have been besetting a portion of the Gen 4 9mm's. I've seen some people who have had the new RSA springs solve all their problems, some people who have had to spend $50+ on aftermarket parts to get their glocks working right when they should have come out that way from the box, some people who just can't get them to work no matter what, and on and on.

GearScout
10-03-2011, 12:36 AM
I was using Federal American Eagle 124gr.

Was 200 rounds with range ammo or higher grade carry? I'm guessing range but I just want to ask to make sure. I've had a few erratic ejections with my Gen 4's, with various types of weaker range ammos, but never anything but flawless ejection with my carry ammo.

NickDrak
10-03-2011, 01:10 AM
The stock Gen4 extractor. It's stamped "4". Photos here (http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?571-Gen4-19-The-problems-have-started-....&p=9389&viewfull=1#post9389).

Have you tried a different extractor in your Gen4? A swap to an older pre-"dip" extractor has really improved the ejection pattern of my Gen4 G17.

LittleLebowski
10-03-2011, 08:29 AM

I doubt that they will. I think Glock has shown us that they are content not to seek 100% given that they know about the ejection problem, their CS readily admits that it's widespread, and they are not making a recall.

JV_
10-03-2011, 08:42 AM
they are not making a recall.Glock issue a recall? LOL.

I agree they should be taking a much better CS stance on fixing existing guns. How about an extractor, ejector and RSA package for Gen4 owners, one that doesn't require sending the gun in.

LittleLebowski
10-03-2011, 08:44 AM
Glock issue a recall? LOL.

Well, they did recall the RSA's recently. Only took them how many iterations to arrive at the ONE THAT WILL FIX ALL PROBLEMS?

JV_
10-03-2011, 08:47 AM
Well, they did recall the RSA's recently.Was that an official recall, or an upgrade campaign?

LittleLebowski
10-03-2011, 08:50 AM
It's a "voluntary exchange" program......in which they admit to the problem and require you to send back the old part. I guess it isn't technically a recall since they are not contacting owners and whatnot but it sure feels like one.

http://www.teamglock.com/customer-service/recoil-spring-exchange

Long tom coffin
10-03-2011, 11:06 AM
It's a "voluntary exchange" program......in which they admit to the problem and require you to send back the old part. I guess it isn't technically a recall since they are not contacting owners and whatnot but it sure feels like one.

http://www.teamglock.com/customer-service/recoil-spring-exchange

It's the infamous Glock non-recall "recall" ;). And I don't know if I'd say that glock has admitted to anything, Dude. From your link:

GLOCK Inc. is voluntarily exchanging the recoil spring assembly (RSA) on its new Gen4 pistols (with the exception of G26 and G27 models). GLOCK has developed a new design to the recoil spring assemblies on its Gen4 pistols to replace several variations that are functioning in the market today. As part of the company’s commitment to perfection, we are voluntarily exchanging the existing RSA in order to ensure our products perform up to GLOCK’s stringent standards.

If they are functioning, why replace them? You called the RSA exchange line, right? The opening voice message they have on the line before you get connected to a rep makes it sound like their "engineers" have been designing the new RSA just to make the Gen4's some kind of uber pistol. It really is ridiculous. The last line of the above statement from team glock is about as close as I've ever seen Glock admit fault on anything.

GearScout
10-03-2011, 12:00 PM
Keep in mind that the RSA exchange had nothing to do with curing erratic ejection. It was only to address an issue with guide rod durability. The exchange notice seemed purposely vague. I'll wager anyone that says it fixed their ejection pattern is seeing the effects of a fresh spring, not the updated design.

I'd like to get an older extractor, but they're tough to find. I have theory I'd like to test that involves comparing the surface finishing of the new and old extractors. Anyone up here in NoVa with an old extractor want to meet up?

JV_
10-03-2011, 12:02 PM
I have theory I'd like to test that involves comparing the surface finishing of the new and old extractors. Anyone up here in NoVa with an old extractor want to meet up?Shoot me a PM with what you have in mind.

LittleLebowski
10-03-2011, 12:21 PM
Keep in mind that the RSA exchange had nothing to do with curing erratic ejection. It was only to address an issue with guide rod durability. The exchange notice seemed purposely vague. I'll wager anyone that says it fixed their ejection pattern is seeing the effects of a fresh spring, not the updated design.

I'd like to get an older extractor, but they're tough to find. I have theory I'd like to test that involves comparing the surface finishing of the new and old extractors. Anyone up here in NoVa with an old extractor want to meet up?

I didn't expect the new RSA to do much, actually. I will be testing mine for carry this week. Until then, I'm sticking with what's in the pistol now.

joshs
10-04-2011, 01:11 PM
I just got off the phone with Glock technical support. They have no timeline on the new ejector being available anywhere except in-house. They aren't even available to certified armorers right now.

LittleLebowski
10-05-2011, 12:56 PM
I want to think it's QC on some part like the extractor, too.

But, I was recently watching some super slow-mo video of steel carbine barrels firing. I was struck by how much they jiggled and it made me wonder just how much the polymer parts on our pistols flex during operation.

I suppose it may not be the frame, but it could be the trigger housing housing that's flexing under torsional forces during recoil. This could move the ejector slightly off-axis for an instant and explain the seemingly random ejection pattern as the gun flexes a little differently depending on the recoil impulse from each cartridge's powder load and temperature of the gun.

Yeah, I know it's a bit out there. But I really like the sunsets on my private island.

I think it's a perfect storm of poorly made MIM parts (extractors) and the various demons induced by the new RSA design changing the slide's velocity/timing. Glock changed too many things at once but given the many hacked-on-frames older Glocks out there with no problems, I'd say it's the simplest explanation - the RSA redesign.

JV_
10-05-2011, 01:10 PM
I'd say it's the simplest explanation - the RSA redesign.I tried many things to get my Gen4 working consistently. Looking at my logs, the 1 change that made the biggest improvement was the RSA. But, I still got pelted in the face w/ brass, it just happened less frequently.

Ed L
11-11-2011, 03:50 AM
My brain is going to explode trying to keep up with everything you have to update or replace to get a Gen 4 Glock and some Gen 3 Glocks running as reliably as they used to.

MD7305
12-04-2011, 04:38 AM
Anyone know the part # for the new ejector in .40? Are they available anywhere?

pasky2112
07-21-2012, 12:24 PM

I can tell you for a fact as a port-sider myself, I am not exempt from the same ejection issues, unfortunately. I shoot G22/G23 Gen4's with hand-loads and factory brass...all being mostly 180gr. It seems the hotter the load, the worse the problem....dinged in the forehead by my damaged brass with caved-in case mouths. Does the new ejector (Trigger Mechanism Housing w/ejector .40 cal Gen. 4 - 1 @ $9.95 from GlockParts) resolve this issue? Frankly, I'd be OK w/ taking a case to the head once in a while if it stopped damaging my brass severely.

pasky2112
07-21-2012, 12:53 PM
Here are the two ejectors, original Gen4 and the 9/2011 update. Mine does not have a part number on it.
The word is that this part addresses the erratic ejection issue by catching more of the shell casing. Changes to the Gen4 frame introduced a small amount of flex that caused the original Gen4 ejector to sometimes miss the "sweet spot" on the shell casing as the action recoiled. Increasing the size of the ejector face should increase the likelihood of an effective strike on the shell case.

The new RSA was reinforced to address an issue found in a few Law Enforcement agency Gen4 pistols where the head of the recoil spring assembly broke due to a change in the manufacturing process. If you look closely, you'll see the only change is the beefed up head plug and a new capture ring that surrounds the end of the spring.

Is this the correct part for G22/23, as well? I desperately am looking to fix my ejection issues. My brass...and my forehead are taking a beating! ;)

Thanks!