PDA

View Full Version : Hi speed video of Chauchau malfunctions

TR675
09-11-2015, 09:57 PM
I like long-recoil action firearms. I'm not sure why, but there is something deeply appealing about a Browning A-5 or Remington Model 12 to me. The whole concept is so complicated and just generally bananas from a modern design standpoint that I have to love it - it reeks of anachronism and old-timeyness.

One of the long-recoil action guns I've always taken an unaccountable shine to is the Chauchat. It has a reputation as a stinker, and that reputation is probably pretty solid; the thing was made in factories but also in bicycle shops, had a weird magazine with giant cut-outs in the side - not ideal for trench environments - and was generally neither especially well thought out or manufactured. But, having said that, it doesn't fully deserve the execrable reputation that it has in America - a lot of Doughboys were armed with Chauchats hastily and badly re-chambered in 30.06; the gun wasn't designed, re-designed or manufactured for that cartridge and the things were basically hot garbage and disposed of very quickly. The French versions in 8mm Lebel were much better - usually factory made and designed for the ammunition.

They still weren't models of reliability - and all of this exposition above is just a long way of introducing this cool slow-motion video of an 8 mm Lebel-chambered Chauchat malfunctioning, which shows just what a PITA it would be to clear an FTE. Enjoy.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/09/11/troubleshooting-a-chauchat-machine-rifle/

JM Campbell
09-11-2015, 10:30 PM
Just needs froglube ; )

Kidding aside, thanks for the history lesson!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk