PDA

View Full Version : Mini SilencerCo Omega Evaluation

JM Campbell
09-11-2015, 12:10 PM
Quick run down:

200rds IMI 147gr .308
40rds Hornady 168gr match .308
400rds 125gr 300blk handloads supersonic (Speer 125gr TNT 18.0gr IMR 4226)
200rds 55gr 556 handloads (Hornady bulk 55gr 23.0gr H322)
150 mk262 clone handloads

990 total rounds through the Omega

Rifles/Pistols used:
Aero Precision .308 home build with Faxon Firearms 18" mid gas QPQ barrel and Omega/SpecWar brake ****
AAC 9.5" 300blk home build with AAC barrel, pistol gas and Omega/SpecWar flash hider--pistol lower was used in evaluation
Colt 6920 factory gun with carbine gas and Omega/SpecWar flash hider
BCM 11.5 standard barreled factory upper with carbine gas and Omega/SpecWar flash hider--pistol lower was used in evaluation

Muzzle Brake: http://www.store.silencerco.com/collections/center-fire-rifle/products/specwar-trifecta-muzzle-brake
Flash Hider: http://www.store.silencerco.com/collections/center-fire-rifle/products/specwar-trifecta-flash-hider
308 Flat End Cap: http://www.store.silencerco.com/collections/center-fire-rifle/products/omega-flat-cap

There are two lengths of ASR brake/flash hider mounts, the original ASR SpecWar mount (older) is longer and not compatible with the Omega. If you have a older SpecWar confirm that your mounts are compatible with the Omega. If not contact SilencerCo and they will take care of you. I could not use the Omega on my 8" Ballistic Advantage pistol barreled upper due to this.

ASR QD mount was used on all rifle/pistol/uppers, at no time was the direct thread mount used during this mini evaluation.

The skinny per SilencerCo on the Omega***SilencerCo web site: http://silencerco.com/products/omega/

The Omega™ is a combination of all the best features from our .30 caliber centerfire rifle silencer lines in one silencer – shortest, lightest, quietest, most versatile, full auto and magnum rated with an integral recoil reducing Anchor Brake. We use titanium, stainless steel, and Stellite™ in tandem for best in class results across the board. In addition to its performance, the Omega’s design allows for maximum user adaptability and convenience. Each Omega comes with a 5/8×24 direct thread mount, a fast attach Active Spring Retention (ASR™) mount complete with a Specwar™ ASR muzzle brake, and an Anchor Brake. All other accessories, including additional muzzle devices and endcaps, are sold separately. The Omega is compatible with a range of ammunition from 5.7mm to .300 Win Mag.

Specs per SilencerCo website: https://s3.amazonaws.com/com.silencerco/support/product-specs/omega.pdf

----Omega was configured with .308 Flat End Cap and Anchor Brake on each caliber rifle/pistol/upper.

Notes on Anchor Brake:
.308 18" barrel mid gas---reduced felt recoil, unmeasured, in my opinion about 1/4% less recoil then with flat endcap.
300blk 9.5" pistol gas----no felt recoil reduction difference in either configuration.
556 16" carbine gas-----no felt recoil reduction difference in either configuration.
556 11.5" carbine gas---no felt recoil reduction difference in either configuration.

Absolutely no impact shift switching between Anchor Brake and 308 Flat End Cap noted at this time.

Suppression comparison to SilencerCo .30cal SpecWar ---NOT 556 SpecWar K OR 556 SpecWar--- (in shooters opinion with no actual decibel test numbers)

.308 18" mid gas barrel: Omega with Anchor Brake & Flat End Cap was observed to be quieter then the SpecWar.
300blk 9.5" pistol gas: Omega with Anchor Brake & Flat End Cap was observed to be quieter then the SpecWar.
556 16" carbine gas: This shooter thought/perceived the SpecWar was quieter.
556 11.5" carbine gas: This shooter thought/perceived the SpecWar was quieter.

Recoil was felt less with the Omega across the shooting platforms regardless in this shooters opinion (must be noted that it was a extremely minute difference, almost negligible).

Shooters Notes:

Omega Weight: 14.0oz
SpecWar Weight: 24.0oz

-Omega regardless of Anchor Brake or Flat End Cap was stupid light and helped with balance across the shooting platforms (big plus on a 18+" 9-11lbs. .308)
-Omega on 300blk was small/very compact without the Anchor Brake, "BUT" the SpecWar is also a perfect choice on a 9.5" barrel due to size and weight of the upper to start with in MY opinion.
-Almost the same conclusion on the 11.5" 556 pistol upper except the Flat End Cap equipped Omega edged out the SpecWar in personal preference.

################################################## ################################################## ###########
Draw back due to the Omega being modular?

So far after large rapid strings of fire and then switching platforms the Omega has unthreaded (while removing from mount) at the threaded connection of the ASR and Omega tube. This could also be that I have not cranked down the tube and ASR QD base beyond "hand tight". If this issue persists I will contact Silencerco for assistance. I do not see in the manual anywhere that any kind of locking compound is recommended or necessary.

################################################## ################################################## ###########

****Accuracy issues with the .308 rifle, rifle would group extremely high right regardless of suppressor or shot unsuppressed and with optics replaced. Two shooters confirmed issue and 2nd .308 riffle was shot to confirm the issues were not ammo or shooter related. Tore down rifle and suspect accuracy issues were due to too thick of shims used to clock the brake (one half revolution), carbon accumulated in the space between the 11 degree target crown on the Faxon Firearms barrel and the brake IMO causing a non conical crown. Carbon has been removed and brake clocked with new shim kit with exactly 2 less shims, will update on next range trip. BTW shooting suppressed is dirty.

************************************************** ************************************************** *************************
This mini evaluation is full of MY impressions and may differ from yours.
************************************************** ************************************************** *************************

LittleLebowski
09-11-2015, 12:23 PM
Awesome, thank you for this. This can sure seems like a winner.

Hansohn Brothers
09-11-2015, 12:56 PM
Great honest feedback.

ffhounddog
09-11-2015, 01:08 PM
Thanks Skyline for the Review.

StraitR
09-13-2015, 02:51 AM
Thanks Skyline. Great info. I mailed off my form 4 on Friday, so my wait has just begun. I'm still trying to decide if I want to buy the 5.56 end cap. According to Silencer Shop's testing, the 5.56 end cap lowered the dB's -4 and -11 at the ear, but I can't find anyone else reporting the same or otherwise. There should be quite a few Omega stamps coming back right about now and I have a while before I need to even worry about it.

Keep us posted, and thanks again for the review.

voodoo_man
09-13-2015, 05:17 AM
Good review, excellent structure and explination of points.

Since its a suppressor...do you have a way yo measure temperature - cold to hot in mag uses and/or per caliber/rate of fire?

Also sound suppression at distances per platform and caliber? Meaning at what distance could you tell its a gunshot or even hear it with what ammo.

JM Campbell
09-13-2015, 08:03 AM
StraitR, I use the Omega across to many caliber platforms to dedicate it to a 556 endcap. I think it is safer to not use it. Now if I had another Omega and say it was tan then I would run the 556 endcap and have no worries because of color coding.

voodoo_man, let me see what I can do on the temperature measurements.
As for the suppressor/rifle/pistol report at different distances can be arranged as well, never even thought about adding those tid bits of info, it would be good to know.

Thanks for the input, I will update after the next few range trips.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

JM Campbell
09-13-2015, 04:21 PM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/13/e9a7e9338070868d20817015686cfafa.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/13/55a89e8c77ece1cafc870c6e9b19b321.jpg
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/13/386b952d06c922a8aad8635d132acfc9.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/13/eb31db7ee51d28696d9cc48a461c82c6.jpg
Fresh brake gets dirty fast.

StraitR
09-13-2015, 06:31 PM
StraitR, I use the Omega across to many caliber platforms to dedicate it to a 556 endcap. I think it is safer to not use it. Now if I had another Omega and say it was tan then I would run the 556 endcap and have no worries because of color coding.

Skyline, I completely get where you're coming from. To address this issue, I decided that I will only purchase one end cap. So if I get the 5.56 end cap, I will not purchase the 7.62, but use the anchor brake for all .30cal applications.

ffhounddog
09-14-2015, 06:31 AM
Wrong thread.

JM Campbell
09-14-2015, 12:25 PM
MI 15" Mlok rail
Arisakadefense.com Mlok light mount
.308 AR

Mlok failure after 5 unsuppressed rounds fired. Arisakadefense.com light mount blew off the rail. Screws had been hand tightened until the hex would flex, suggest using a light thread lock compound. I believe the torque value should be 31"lbs, will confirm tonight. Apparently the screws backed out and had enough wiggle to be literally blown off the rifle.

The Omega Tribfecta Brake is down right stupid loud and violent. Was blowing stuff off the shooting table and rail. Suggest always shooting suppressed and double ear pro if not.

StraitR
09-14-2015, 03:18 PM
Thanks for the update SL. So, you attribute the failure to the screws backing out, good to know. Both of my rails, KMR and URX4 are Keymod, and I've had attachments do the same, but remedied with liberal amounts of blue loctite. I have no loyalty, or preference of KM vs ML, I have what I have because it just happen to work out that way.

I haven't bought my 5.56 muzzle device yet, so I'm wondering if the 5.56 brake behaves the same, relative the to the obvious pressure differences between 7.62 and 5.56. Not looking for recoil mitigation so much as a sacrificial baffle benefits of using the brake. It's going on a 16" carbine, so it's really not that important tbh.

LittleLebowski
09-14-2015, 03:30 PM
I don't think that I could be talked into a Gemtech over a SilencerCo suppressor.

JM Campbell
09-14-2015, 05:18 PM
I don't think that I could be talked into a Gemtech over a SilencerCo suppressor.
Wrong thread LL
[emoji41]

LittleLebowski
09-15-2015, 06:55 AM
Wrong thread LL

Mods here are shit.

HCM
09-15-2015, 11:42 AM
MI 15" Mlok rail
Arisakadefense.com Mlok light mount
.308 AR

Mlok failure after 5 unsuppressed rounds fired. Arisakadefense.com light mount blew off the rail. Screws had been hand tightened until the hex would flex, suggest using a light thread lock compound. I believe the torque value should be 31"lbs, will confirm tonight. Apparently the screws backed out and had enough wiggle to be literally blown off the rifle.

The Omega Tribfecta Brake is down right stupid loud and violent. Was blowing stuff off the shooting table and rail. Suggest always shooting suppressed and double ear pro if not.

The light was literally blown off the rifle. It actually went about 2 feet hitting the edge of the next shooting bench