PDA

View Full Version : New to NOVA

scw2
09-10-2015, 10:13 PM
Hi all,

I recently moved to NoVA and know there are plenty of folks here that live nearby. Are there any tips/recs for where to go for shooting related business?

For the range, I'm thinking of buying an annual membership at the NRA range, but not sure if there are better options. Hours seem sort of limited and it's crowded, though the range itself seem really nice.

Also I have no idea which FFL/dealers are good, other than what Google brings up as options (the gun dude seems like a nice place).

Thanks for your help!

greyghost
09-11-2015, 12:03 AM
NOVA is a fairly broad area but in general I'd recommend Virginia Arms as the area's best gun store and Elite Shooting Sports as probably the best indoor range in the area.

ffhounddog
09-11-2015, 04:12 AM
I second that.

mtnbkr
09-11-2015, 06:22 AM
Been in NOVA for nearly 20 years...

Best gun shop is Virginia Arms. They are very willing to do transfers, are friendly, professional, and run a clean shop. The place is always busy for a reason. I live nearby, which is nice and dangerous at the same time. :)
2nd is Loudoun Guns in Leesburg, but I haven't been there in a couple years.

If you're willing to drive, Green Top outside Richmond is very nice and has plenty of reloading supplies.

If you reload, you're SOL. The only reliable supplier is Clark Bros in Warrenton. High prices, dirty, crowded, and kind of derpy. As mentioned above, Green Top carries reloading gear, but they're nearly 2hrs from the core of NoVA. Unless you're out there and desperate, you're better off waiting for a gun show.

Speaking of which, the only worthwhile game in town is The Nation's Gunshow held in the Chantilly Expo Center every few months. There are a couple smaller shows (I think, they may have all died), but they're not worth bothering with. Next Chantilly show is Oct 2-4.

To actually go shooting, the NRA HQ in Fairfax has a 50yd indoor range that is well run. All handguns and rifles up to 375H&H (I think). Well ventilated, well lit, and well run. That's the only worthwhile game in town for indoor shooting. Blue Ridge Arsenal has a 25yd indoor range, but it attracts derp.

For Outdoor ranges, you're limited to Clark Bros (not quite 100yds, free but you have to buy their ammo) or must get a membership at the Arlington-Fairfax IWLA or Fairfax Rod and Gun Club (neither are in Fairfax oddly enough).
The IWLA is $180/year and provides a 100yd rifle/pistol range with target holders every 25yds. There's also a shotgun range for trap and skeet, as well as nice archery ranges, fishing pond, and indoor airgun facility. I'm a member there and find it well worth the money. Membership drive is in the Spring. Gun shooting hours are limited (ranges close at 5pm). It's located in Centreville, just off Rt28.
The Fairfax Rod and Gun Club is similar, but on a larger and much more expensive scale (waitlist as well as something like $1200/year membership fees). Having shot there a few times, I don't view it as being worth the extra $1k/year. It's located in Manassas.

As for gunsmiths, there aren't too many options. There's a guy in Springfield who does good work, but is a PITA to get to and is rather grouchy. There's a gunsmith company in Manassas, but they're kind of derpy and a bit shady. I won't do business with them. I called them about drilling and tapping a sight hole in a barrel one time. Drilling the hole itself was only $35, but they tacked on all sorts of fees and such that drove the cost of that one hole to well over $100. There have been other shady practices that my friends have been subject to (doing unauthorized work and refusing to return the gun until full payment is rendered, etc). Finally, there's a guy in Leesburg (I think, need to verify) who did some good 1911 work for a friend and seems to do other things based on his convo. I haven't talked to the guy yet, but if I have a project, I'm going to check him out.

We're getting a Cabelas in a year or two.

If you hunt, there are several WMAs in the region. I mainly go to Thompson as it's 30min from my house. The George Washington National Forest is a bit more than an hour away.

Chris

mtnbkr
09-11-2015, 06:24 AM
NOVA is a fairly broad area but in general I'd recommend Virginia Arms as the area's best gun store and Elite Shooting Sports as probably the best indoor range in the area.

I should check out Elite, but I keep forgetting it exists. :rolleyes:

Chris

trailrunner
09-11-2015, 06:46 AM
I've been going to Sharpshooters in Lorton for over 20 years. They have a small 20 yard indoor range. It's very convenient for me, but it's nothing special. They can get crowded, it's probably not the best deal, and the range is just OK, but as I said, it's four stoplights from my house.

Elite in Manassas opened recently, and I've heard consistently good things about them. If they were closer to me, I'd definitely check them out.

I shot at the NRA range when it first opened in the mid-90s, and a couple of times since then, but haven't been there in a while. I have heard from others that it's crowded.

The gunsmith that mtnbkr referred to is Northern Virginia Gun Works on Fullerton Road. I don't think it's a PITA to get to - it's right off the FFX county parkway and I-95 - but maybe I'm biased since it's only three miles from my house. I've only taken one gun to him, but not even he could fix my Kahr.

There's an FFL in Burke that my friend has dealt with with and likes. I forget his name, but you can find it by searching. He's also listed on Bud's gun shop.

In case you're interested in trap and skeet, Fairfax County operates the Bull Run Shooting center.

jc000
09-11-2015, 06:50 AM
Elite Shooting Sports does have their gunsmith on staff, now: http://www.eliteshootingsports.com/t-gunsmith.aspx

jc000
09-11-2015, 06:54 AM
There's also good local training to be had through both FPF Training and Langdon Tactical.

Kyle Reese
09-11-2015, 07:45 AM
Depending on where you're going to be living in NOVA, All Shooter's Tactical in Woodbridge is an excellent gun / NFA dealer shop to check out. Welcome to the area, and let me know if you feel like linking up at the NRA Range or ESS sometime.

LittleLebowski
09-11-2015, 07:57 AM
Driving in NoVA is painful enough that you need to tell us your general area but.....

VA Arms for guns.
Elite Shooting Sports or the NRA for the range.
Hansohn Brothers for NFA/suppressors (I know that VA Arms sells them too but....PRICING MATTERS :D)

scw2
09-11-2015, 11:33 AM
Driving in NoVA is painful enough that you need to tell us your general area but.....
Elite Shooting Sports or the NRA for the range.

Welcome to the area, and let me know if you feel like linking up at the NRA Range or ESS sometime.

Thanks everyone for the tips. I'm basically wondering which range I should get an annual membership at.

-I'm near 66 and the Vienna Metro station, and according to Google maps it's about 12 min to the NRA range and 24 to ESS.
-ESS is ~30 minute longer driver and $150 more for the annual membership
-I've heard that the NRA range is crowded and often waits are 1-2 hours. Is the wait at ESS shorter? If so, I might eat the extra monetary and time costs for a shorter wait. Plus the hours seem better and the range seems to be open more often.
-If I end up building/buying an AR, will 50 yards be adequate (available at either range) or will the extra 100 yard range at ESS be worthwhile for skill development?

FredM, I'd be thrilled to meet up sometime. I'm sure I'd learn a lot about shooting, plus it's always cool to just meet people and put faces to names. :)

Chris Rhines
09-11-2015, 01:36 PM
You're right around the corner from me.

The NRA Range is excellent, and I think that the lighting is somewhat better than at ESS. The NRA Range is crowded on the weekends, but I rarely have to wait on Wednesdays and Thursdays after work. I do go to ESS to zero the rifle and shotgun from time to time. I've never had to wait at ESS.

Sharpshooters is actually a pretty decent indoor range. A lot of my friends work there. It's not as nice as the NRA, though.

For gun sales, I'll go with the crowd and suggest Virginia Arms. For NFA stuff, I'd make the drive down to Culpeper and hit Immortal Arms. Look for the ginger dwarf and tell him that Chris says hi.

Green Top is a good place for guns and bulk ammo, if you're down that way.

For reloading supplies, order them in bulk online. There's no place around here worth looking at.

Finally, outdoor ranges. All the ranges in NoVA proper are limited to bullseye shooting and sightin' in the deer rifle. If you're interested in competition or combat shooting, you'll have to drive a bit. My favorite range is Peacemaker National Training Center, up in Inwood, WV. It's about 90 minutes from you, out I66 and north on I81. Northern Virginia Gun Club is a smaller, but still very well equipped shooting club down in King George County, just west of Fredericksburg - I think they have a waiting list on new members though.

mtnbkr
09-13-2015, 06:57 AM
I shot at the NRA range when it first opened in the mid-90s, and a couple of times since then, but haven't been there in a while. I have heard from others that it's crowded.

It can get crowded during peak times (mainly weekends, but anytime just before hunting season starts). I don't shoot there much since joining the IWLA, but last time I was there earlier this year, we had a 30min wait. The waiting area is comfortable if you do have to wait.

The gunsmith that mtnbkr referred to is Northern Virginia Gun Works on Fullerton Road. I don't think it's a PITA to get to - it's right off the FFX county parkway and I-95 - but maybe I'm biased since it's only three miles from my house. I've only taken one gun to him, but not even he could fix my Kahr.

That's the beauty of NoVA. Depending on where you live, getting somewhere can differ vastly from one person to the next. I live in Manassas, so getting to him is a significant ordeal. Last time I thought about taking some work to him, I called during his business hours and he was closed.

In case you're interested in trap and skeet, Fairfax County operates the Bull Run Shooting center.
Oh yeah! How could I forget. They also have wobble trap (fun!) and sporting clays.

BTW, I was in VA Arms yesterday. They were quite busy in the last 30min before closing, but everyone was friendly, eager to help (had staff walking around asking if you needed assistance or had questions, etc), and patient. They're so friendly and helpful, it makes you want to buy more guns from them.

BTW, if you're out at VA Arms, there's a really good nano-brewery (Bad Wolf) in the same shopping center. All they need now is a cigar store to have the entire ATF thing covered. :D

Chris