PDA

View Full Version : Sicario

NETim
09-10-2015, 08:42 PM
This flick just appeared on my radar. It's getting good reviews for the most part.

Looking forward to its release.

Vinh
09-11-2015, 05:52 PM
Looking forward to it as well.

JM Campbell
09-11-2015, 08:59 PM
Nope not me, I refuse to see movies in the theater here in SA. Been to 3 this week with the wife and saw sparkly new 30.06 (no gun/chl) signs with all bags are searched signs. Turned around and headed back to the truck at the first one, wife was asking halfway to the truck who I saw that I didn't like. Nope not who, but what. Next one down the road she saw the signs first and said how stupid it was and UNSAFE.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

NETim
09-11-2015, 09:04 PM
Nope not me, I refuse to see movies in the theater here in SA. Been to 3 this week with the wife and saw sparkly new 30.06 (no gun/chl) signs with all bags are searched signs. Turned around and headed back to the truck at the first one, wife was asking halfway to the truck who I saw that I didn't like. Nope not who, but what. Next one down the road she saw the signs first and said how stupid it was and UNSAFE.

Can't say that I blame you. That is my policy as well.

GardoneVT
09-11-2015, 09:36 PM
Looking forward to it as well.

Indeed. It will make a delightful Netflix library entry.

Theaters? How hilarious.I'd need a bank loan to afford the ticket price and popcorn+soda combo, and that's not even getting into the "gunfreezone" part.

JM Campbell
09-11-2015, 10:23 PM
Ohh I'm gonna see it, just in six months on bluray on my own couch.

Blayglock
09-12-2015, 12:48 AM

Which theater if you don't mind. I didn't noticed the signs at City Base or the Quarry, but they could have changed since I last went.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

JM Campbell
09-12-2015, 05:39 AM
Pat Booker Rd, Live Oak
Embassy Row 281/I10
Alamo Draft House 281N (was a drive by and looked like the signs were up, did not stop to confirm)
Basically Santikos and Regal Theaters have added 30.06 signs and the bag search. I try not to hit up the Paladium Imax since my last F250 was stolen there.

voodoo_man
09-12-2015, 05:43 AM
I am looking forward to it.

Del Toro can play a bad guy really well and I am eager to see how Blunt plays her second action role (first was edge of tomorrow if I am correct).

I like the gritty nature that the trailers give off, I'm sure the action will be nice too if they hired good coordinators.

LittleLebowski
09-12-2015, 06:51 AM

Concur. Also, I don't like crowds.

olstyn
09-12-2015, 08:22 AM
Been to 3 this week with the wife and saw sparkly new 30.06 (no gun/chl) signs with all bags are searched signs.

I imagine the bag search thing is mainly to prevent people from bringing in outside food & drink, but even so, it's kind of offensive, and the gun free zone signs, well, yeah, those suck.

Jeep
09-14-2015, 02:00 PM
I don't like crowds.

Precisely.

Default.mp3
10-06-2015, 11:14 AM
I went in hoping for Zero Dark Thirty against the drug cartels, but it was more like The Hurt Locker in Ciudad Juárez. As a movie, I thought it was pretty decent; unfortunately, poor tactics and gear choices killed it for me (the use of NODs without lasers, no WMLs, side plates being used for front/back, not a single combat shirt in sight, drop legs that were around the knees, no ear pro or eye pro ever used, standing in doorways without using cover and spraying into the room, etc.).

For the average movie-goer, I'm sure Sicario has a great sense of verisimilitude. The movie was internal consistent, IMO, and much of the tension, character motivations, etc., were believable within the context of the movie. The problem was that the movie strived to be serious, and based that gravity off of realism, and given the various realism fails, made it a much less entertaining movie for me than it could have been. The trailer didn't lie, IMO, it was merely short enough that the many little fails through the movie aren't readily apparent in it.

IMO, if you're itching to watch a movie in theaters right now, go watch The Martian, which I thought was far more enjoyable than Sicario. Sicario's not worthless, but it's not worth watching in theaters, IMO; pirate, NetFlix, or RedBox it if you're bored and you might find yourself entertained.

texasaggie2005
10-06-2015, 12:43 PM
Agree 100% with Default.mp3's assessment above.

Vinh
10-06-2015, 07:42 PM
I had been looking forward to Sicario and The Martian for a long time. I ended up liking Sicario more. I've always enjoyed Benecio del Toro's work, and I was surprised Hollywood allowed that kind of ending. The Martian paled too much in comparison to Interstellar and Gravity, so for me it didn't live up to expectations.

BJJ
10-06-2015, 09:09 PM
Here is the blog of a guy who dealt with the real life version of Sicario.

http://edpoint.tumblr.com

BobLoblaw
10-06-2015, 09:39 PM
...The Martian paled too much in comparison to Interstellar and Gravity, so for me it didn't live up to expectations.

I said the same thing. Matt Damon in Interstellar was better than Matt Damon in The Martian. Then again, Interstellar is one of my favorite movies ever. Gravity was okay, it was just quickly overshadowed by Interstellar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

David S.
10-07-2015, 11:53 AM
I went in hoping for Zero Dark Thirty against the drug cartels, but it was more like The Hurt Locker in Ciudad Juárez. As a movie, I thought it was pretty decent; unfortunately, poor tactics and gear choices killed it for me (the use of NODs without lasers, no WMLs, side plates being used for front/back, not a single combat shirt in sight, drop legs that were around the knees, no ear pro or eye pro ever used, standing in doorways without using cover and spraying into the room, etc.).

For the average movie-goer, I'm sure Sicario has a great sense of verisimilitude. The movie was internal consistent, IMO, and much of the tension, character motivations, etc., were believable within the context of the movie. The problem was that the movie strived to be serious, and based that gravity off of realism, and given the various realism fails, made it a much less entertaining movie for me than it could have been. The trailer didn't lie, IMO, it was merely short enough that the many little fails through the movie aren't readily apparent in it.

IMO, if you're itching to watch a movie in theaters right now, go watch The Martian, which I thought was far more enjoyable than Sicario. Sicario's not worthless, but it's not worth watching in theaters, IMO; pirate, NetFlix, or RedBox it if you're bored and you might find yourself entertained.

Agree with most of Default's post here. May be worth seeing in the theater because: Fun shoot-em-up action. Probably better to wait for Redbox.

I know nothing about the weapons or tactics used, so for me they weren't distracting. OTOH, There were a couple MAJOR plot points that made absolutely no sense to us.

This movie did have some powerful things to say about the WOD. It certainly struck a chord with my libertarian-ish political perspective.

Cheers,
David

voodoo_man
10-08-2015, 06:03 AM
Interesting movie. I kinda figured this was the type its going to be once they developed how green Blunts character was, when they get back from the first expedition.

After that I figured it was going to be a dull ending with none of the major characters doing much else other than what theyve been doing the whole movie.

The mil guys were funny.

Id definitely make this an early in the day movie at home so you can get stuff done aftee to get your disappointment off your mind.

ffhounddog
10-08-2015, 06:09 AM
I saw it for free, friends of the wife wantd to see it. Sad that it got so much hype but was a let down in almost everyway.

voodoo_man
10-08-2015, 07:47 AM
Just to add some thoughts...

As for the political statements, yeah I totally agree with everything they have put forth. If they are on MX soil they can do what needs to be done for that we will see the benefits here.

The fact that this is a non issue for most americans, the mexican American border and how freely things get across, seems to shine brightly in this movie. They highlight and touch on some very specific aspects of LE that make it impossible for us in LE to catch these people, especially when their own gov wont do anything against them.

walker2713
10-13-2015, 07:16 AM
We saw it last night.....for me it was a profoundly cynical movie and I loved it...the wife, not so much.

She found the opening scenes with the bodies hidden in the walls to be extremely disturbing. I missed the point of why you'd keep them like that, instead of dumping or burying them in the vast surrounding desert. That wasn't the only plot anomaly, but the visuals and sounds more than made up for them, especially the trip into and out of Juarez.

My bride also expected that at some point "Kate" would figure out the score and rise to the occasion, but as "the sicario" said to her: "you're not a wolf."

I would recommend it.....

Sal Picante
10-13-2015, 08:09 AM
What a stupid movie.

How could an FBI door kicker be such a retard? Ditto to Walker's point on the wall/body thing...

"Benicio is Amazing" - f$**( that. He hardly says a word!!

At least I got ripped while watching the movie...

LSP972
10-13-2015, 08:22 AM
My bride also expected that at some point "Kate" would figure out the score and rise to the occasion, but as "the sicario" said to her: "you're not a wolf."

Wait… you mean that the smart, sexy female lead cop actress didn't whup up on all the good old boys and bad guys, thus proving to the world that women can indeed do these dastardly man-jobs? All of that, as opposed to falling apart like a cheap suit when the ice cream turns to shit and having to be coddled/carried out of the arena, like what happens 99% of the time in real life?

WHO made this movie? Not Hollywood, certainly??? Damn… guess I gotta see this one.

RoyGBiv
10-13-2015, 08:25 AM
How could an FBI door kicker be such a retard?

I didn't find it a stretch that she was more afraid of breaking the law than she was of what was behind locked doors.
Some people are wired that way.

The question filleted open and left hanging at the end of the move was worth the price of admission.
I thought it was entertaining and thought provoking despite the holes.

walker2713
10-13-2015, 02:26 PM
Wait… you mean that the smart, sexy female lead cop actress didn't whup up on all the good old boys and bad guys, thus proving to the world that women can indeed do these dastardly man-jobs? All of that, as opposed to falling apart like a cheap suit when the ice cream turns to shit and having to be coddled/carried out of the arena, like what happens 99% of the time in real life?

Must be part of the Republican "war on women"

She might be a "door kicker" for the Mayberry PD, but from the start of the movie she's nothing but timid, tentative and ineffective. She's nearly killed making a room entry in the drug house, and is only saved by the quick thinking of a man. Oh, shit.....what's going on here??

The actress playing Kate, Emily Blunt, in a recent conversation about who would make a good president, “I became an American citizen recently, and that night, we watched the Republican debate and I thought, ‘This was a terrible mistake. What have I done?’"

A twit on the screen and a twit in real life....makes sense to me.

GardoneVT
10-13-2015, 06:31 PM
Must be part of the Republican "war on women"

She might be a "door kicker" for the Mayberry PD, but from the start of the movie she's nothing but timid, tentative and ineffective. She's nearly killed making a room entry in the drug house, and is only saved by the quick thinking of a man.

Basic example (.mil). In BMT I'm doing dorm guard with this book-sharp Asian kid, two man shift. 0400 hours. We're both pretty confident this is a snooze shift when ten minutes to relief....

**Boom Boom Boom**

MTIs at the door. The response for this scenario was a very specific set of instructions. F it up and it would be a baaaad day to be you.

This kid , who'd spent the previous two hours yacking about being a Staff Sgt in two years and having a 31 ACT, RUNS AWAY from the door .

As in left face , engage Usain Bolt - mode.

I end up running myself to take his place and process the procedure. MTI comes in none the wiser.

Kid is a Tech Sgt now. Good as his word he made E5 in the minimum time.

Bottom line: this trait is by no means limited to fiction females or LE.

Jeep
10-13-2015, 07:15 PM
Basic example (.mil). In BMT I'm doing dorm guard with this book-sharp Asian kid, two man shift. 0400 hours. We're both pretty confident this is a snooze shift when ten minutes to relief....

**Boom Boom Boom**

MTIs at the door. The response for this scenario was a very specific set of instructions. F it up and it would be a baaaad day to be you.

This kid , who'd spent the previous two hours yacking about being a Staff Sgt in two years and having a 31 ACT, RUNS AWAY from the door .

As in left face , engage Usain Bolt - mode.

I end up running myself to take his place and process the procedure. MTI comes in none the wiser.

Kid is a Tech Sgt now. Good as his word he made E5 in the minimum time.

Bottom line: this trait is by no means limited to fiction females or LE.

Gardone: Any translation of what a "MTI" is for those of us who were in the senior service?

HCM
10-13-2015, 07:35 PM
Gardone: Any translation of what a "MTI" is for those of us who were in the senior service?

Not Gardone but - MTI = Military Training Instructor - aka Drill Insstructor

Josh Runkle
06-03-2019, 09:32 AM
Thread revive.

Kate is the real villain in Sicario.

https://youtu.be/Omkf9s80gIQ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blues
06-03-2019, 09:48 AM
Cherchez la femme

Coyotesfan97
06-03-2019, 02:51 PM